Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With the spotlight on China/Russia during the olympics, they'll surely clean up their act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Anti-abortion activist being barred from entry to Australia:

ABC News posted:

A controversial American anti-abortion activist, who has called for doctors who perform terminations to be executed for murder, has been blocked from entering Australia.

Troy Newman is the head of anti-abortion organisation Operation Rescue and was due to speak in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart and Cairns over the next fortnight at events run by the group Right To Life Australia.

But in a statement, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton confirmed Mr Newman's visa had been cancelled.

"Mr Newman can appeal for a revocation of this decision and no further comment will be made during this appeal period," Mr Dutton said.

In a Facebook post, Mr Newman expressed his disgust at the decision.

"The Australian Government has revoked my visa in mid-flight," he said.

Mr Newman said he "was pulled off a plane in Denver" and told he could not travel to Los Angeles and then on to Melbourne.

The "pro-life" campaigner also posted a video of an awkward exchange with airport staff in Colorado.

"Please pray for me, I'm stuck in Denver airport like a man without a country," he said.

The Operation Rescue website said Mr Newman had "booked another ticket on a different airline and will travel on to Los Angeles tonight" in the hope he can still fly to Melbourne.

In a statement, Right To Life Australia spokeswoman Mary Collier said: "We are all very upset that this has happened and are working furiously to turn it around."

Several Australian politicians, including Labor backbencher Terri Butler, had called for Mr Newman to be banned from entering the country.

"I am concerned that Mr Newman's presence in Australia will cause significant harm to our community," Ms Butler said in a letter to the Immigration Minister.

"I am most concerned that Mr Newman's call for abortionists to be executed could lead to threats or the commission of acts of violence against women and medical professionals."

Mr Newman is the co-author of the book Their Blood Cries Out, which was published in 2000.

In the book he questions why doctors who perform abortions are not executed and asks why women or men who request the procedure are not charged with murder.

On Sunday, it was confirmed the Australian Government had blocked US singer Chris Brown from entering the country because of his history of domestic violence.

Where did the thread land on the denial of Chris Brown, and previously Floyd Mayweather? I agree that a hard stance should be taken on DV. And in this case, Newman has previously called for the murder of abortion doctors, but interested to know how this sort of thing is balanced.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Phone posting from hospital so can't watch it right now but this video of him is apparently gold. http://bit.ly/1j08QvQ

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Narrator posted:

Anti-abortion activist being barred from entry to Australia:

Where did the thread land on the denial of Chris Brown, and previously Floyd Mayweather? I agree that a hard stance should be taken on DV. And in this case, Newman has previously called for the murder of abortion doctors, but interested to know how this sort of thing is balanced.

Ok. This is clearly just suppressing undesirable political speech, now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

good, more politicians should be suppressed

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

how is he like a man without a country if he is literally in the country he has citizenship for (and was presumably born in)?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Negligent posted:

Gaddafi was elected chairman of the UN human rights council which tells you precisely how prestigious being elected to it is

lol no way

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

Ok. This is clearly just suppressing undesirable political speech, now.

Yeah, on one hand gently caress that guy, on the other i don't really like this ad hoc approach.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

BBJoey posted:

how is he like a man without a country if he is literally in the country he has citizenship for (and was presumably born in)?

Yeah, that's [what he's said] is a fairly moronic thing to say.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

BBJoey posted:

It's strange they're stopping him from flying internally in the US. But if they did let him on the plane, they're just making it someone elses problem, so do they strand him in his origin airport? I guesssssss so, given they'd know his itinerary.

I believe the big call this Troy Newman fellow made is that Abortionists, or doctors who perform them, should be executed. Which is a big platform to work from and under that guise i'm OK with restricting his movements here.

I wonder how much more of a trend this will start and how long until they ban the movement of someone I dont want banned from entering.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Birb Katter posted:

Phone posting from hospital so can't watch it right now but this video of him is apparently gold. http://bit.ly/1j08QvQ

Ehh it's a wanker and he doesn't get tazed so the video is a wash.

BBJoey posted:

His complaint is he can't get on his flight from Denver to L.A. because the Australian Government said "Nooooooooooooooope gently caress off" for his connecting flight to Australia from L.A. Apparently the American airline won't let him fly Denver -> L.A. until he contacts the Australian Embassy.

Like if you watch Birb's video you can hear him repeatedly saying, "Does the Australian Government control the airspace between Denver and L.A.?" while staff are like :sigh: just loving call the embassy you twat.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

blindidiotgod posted:

It's strange they're stopping him from flying internally in the US. But if they did let him on the plane, they're just making it someone elses problem, so do they strand him in his origin airport? I guesssssss so, given they'd know his itinerary.

I believe the big call this Troy Newman fellow made is that Abortionists, or doctors who perform them, should be executed. Which is a big platform to work from and under that guise i'm OK with restricting his movements here.

I wonder how much more of a trend this will start and how long until they ban the movement of someone I dont want banned from entering.

I don't believe doing this will help the pro-choice movement at all. This will get free speech advocates on their side.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What if he came by boat?

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Technically all our human rights abuses occur in PNG and Nauru.

What about our treatment of Aboriginals?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Let's add this one to the mix:

John Key gives Australia 'a blunt message' on deportation of Kiwis

SBS News posted:

Prime Minister John Key says he's been "pretty blunt" with the Australian government over the way New Zealanders are being detained and deported.

Mr Key met Foreign Minister Julie Bishop in New York on Tuesday to raise the issue that's causing increasing concern across the Tasman.

Nearly 200 New Zealanders are being held in detention centres in Australia facing deportation under new immigration laws that mean anyone who isn't a citizen and who has served a sentence of 12 months or more can be sent home.

It's been reported that nearly 100 have already been sent back to New Zealand.

"I had a chat with Julie about it and I was pretty blunt," Mr Key told Radio New Zealand on Wednesday.

"I said there's a special relationship between New Zealand and Australia and you challenge that, to a degree, when you see New Zealanders being treated in this way."

Mr Key said some of them had spent almost their entire lives in Australia, having gone there when they were very young.

"We also deport people, but not in the way the Australians are talking about," he said.

Mr Key says it will be one of the most important issues he raises with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull when they meet.

A date for that meeting is still to be set.

The meeting with Ms Bishop took place amid growing calls for the New Zealand government to take action, following the death two weeks ago of Kiwi-born Junior Togatuki in a high-security detention centre while he was awaiting deportation.

The 23-year-old, who left New Zealand at age four, had served his sentence for robbery and assault, and authorities say he took his own life.

Ms Bishop has provided assurances to New Zealand that a full inquiry is under way into Togatuki's death.

Ms Bishop later told reporters in New York she and Mr Key had discussed generally whether the two countries could reach other arrangements.

"I think it would be timely for Prime Minister Turnbull to discuss this with Prime Minister Key," she said.

"There is no closer relationship than Australia and New Zealand, and so I think it's appropriate that we consider this matter."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
From May but only brought to my attention today

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-06/court-orders-retrial-of-michael-joseph-lindsay/6448490

quote:

Michael Joseph Lindsay has murder conviction quashed, faces re-trial following High Court judgement
BY COURT REPORTER LOUKAS FOUNTEN
UPDATED WED 6 MAY 2015, 2:26 PM AEST
Email Facebook Twitter
Michael Joseph Lindsay
PHOTO Michael Joseph Lindsay was jailed in 2013 over the fatal stabbing of Andrew Negre.
ABC NEWS: TIM IDE

The High Court has ordered a re-trial for a man jailed for at least 23 years for the brutal murder of another at Hallett Cove in Adelaide's south.

Michael Joseph Lindsay, 30, was found guilty of bashing and stabbing Andrew Negre to death in April 2011 and dumping the 37-year-old's body in a wheelie bin in a gully.

The High Court today found there had been a "substantial miscarriage of justice" because of inadequate directions given to the jury by the trial judge which ensured Lindsay was found guilty of murder, not manslaughter.

On the night of the killing, the men had met at a pub and Lindsay had invited Mr Negre back to his house, where some of his family and friends were drinking together.

During the trial, the Supreme Court was told Mr Negre had made sexual advances towards Lindsay.

The court heard Lindsay had threatened to harm Mr Negre after one of those advances.

The jury found that Lindsay had punched and kicked Mr Negre to the ground after the third advance, then repeatedly stabbed him with a knife.

In 2013, Lindsay was given a life jail sentence with a non-parole term of 23 years.

Lindsay's lawyer, Marie Shaw QC, argued that Mr Negre's separate unwanted sexual advances had caused Lindsay to lose control but that the trial judge had misdirected the jury on the issue of provocation.

In South Australia, provocation acts as a partial defence which can reduce murder to manslaughter.

Lindsay first took his case to South Australia's Court of Criminal Appeal, where three Supreme Court justices found the directions given by the judge to the jury were flawed in respects that amounted to a miscarriage of justice.

However, the court concluded that the evidence did not satisfy the partial defence of provocation and therefore it dismissed Lindsay's appeal.

Provocation had 'larger dimension' than homosexual advance
Today, five justices of the High Court quashed Lindsay's conviction and ordered a new trial.

In its judgement, the court outlined the issue of provocation as it was relevant in this case.

It stated that "the provocation as it might have been perceived by the appellant had a larger dimension than merely an unwanted homosexual advance on a heterosexual man".

The court found "other relevant considerations" included the facts that Lindsay:

was hosting Mr Negre as a guest at his house

"had reacted with anguish and loathing" when Mr Negre made his first advance

"had threatened violence if anything of the kind were repeated"

"was then insulted in the presence of his partner, sisters and friends with an offer of several hundred dollars to prostitute himself to the deceased's desires"

"It is not impossible that a jury could reasonably infer that, because the appellant is Aboriginal, he perceived the deceased's conduct towards him to be racially based and for that reason especially insulting."

The High Court found that it was not beyond reasonable doubt that "an ordinary person subjected to that degree of provocation" could have acted in the way Lindsay did.

The judgement detailed some of the judge's directions to the jury, which included the following passage:

"There is no doubt that in former times, when acts of homosexuality constituted serious crime and men were accustomed to resort to weapons and violence to defend their honour, a killing under the provocation present here would have been seen as giving rise to a verdict of manslaughter rather than murder. However, times have very much changed."

The High Court found the trial judge was right to leave the issue of provocation to the jury, but that his directions to the jury were inadequate.

"It was not open to the majority of the Court of Criminal Appeal to be satisfied that the inadequacy of the judge's directions on provocation did not deprive the appellant of a chance which was fairly open to him of a verdict of guilty of manslaughter," it stated.

"The majority of the Court of Criminal Appeal was wrong to conclude that the inadequacy of the directions was not productive of a substantial miscarriage of justice.

"It follows that the appeal should be allowed. The orders of the Court of Criminal Appeal should be set aside, and in their place it should be ordered that the appeal to that Court be allowed, the conviction quashed and a new trial be had. "

The actions of the victim are reprehensible but the inclusion of Aboriginality to allow provocation in what is partly a Gay panic argument is a bit of a D&D question i'm struggling with. I don't think provocation should exist at all for that matter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Technically, for a long while, that was a wildlife issue.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sounds like this Walker guy could be the instigator of violence at abortion clinics in Australia. Has he done anything similar in the US? If he's got priors I can see how denying him a visa makes sense.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ie Bishop palms it off to Turnbull because she has a scapegoat now. Stay tuned for more "it wasn't my idea, says Julie" moments.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tommofork posted:

His complaint is he can't get on his flight from Denver to L.A. because the Australian Government said "Nooooooooooooooope gently caress off" for his connecting flight to Australia from L.A. Apparently the American airline won't let him fly Denver -> L.A. until he contacts the Australian Embassy.

Like if you watch Birb's video you can hear him repeatedly saying, "Does the Australian Government control the airspace between Denver and L.A.?" while staff are like :sigh: just loving call the embassy you twat.
It makes sense to me - his flight to Australia is now impossible, so they cancel his intermediary transfer flight. Like yes there is nothing stopping them, legally, from letting him take the transfer flight, but it's probably company policy not to do so because at this point there's no way he's getting a visa, so if they let him go to LA all they'd acconplish is make it more of a headache to get him back home, for whoever has to deal wih that.

Basically the guy saying doctors providing abortions should be executed is acting like a dickhead and uses stupid rhetoric, which surprises me.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Sounds like this Walker guy could be the instigator of violence at abortion clinics in Australia. Has he done anything similar in the US? If he's got priors I can see how denying him a visa makes sense.

He has called for the murder of abortion doctors as "execution" for their crime of aborting. He has defended those who have murdered abortion doctors as acceptable. In 2002:

Wikipedia posted:

Operation Rescue West launched its "Year of Rebuke" campaign in an attempt at publicizing the names of those with political, professional, and social ties to late-term abortion provider George Tiller.

Tiller was murdered in 2009 by a man named Scott Roeder.

quote:

Following his assassination of George Tiller in 2009, Scott Roeder was interviewed by Amanda Robb of Ms. magazine, stating that he had lunch with Newman and discussed using violence to stop abortion. He said that during the lunch they discussed "something like if an abortionist—I don’t even know if it was specifically Tiller…was shot, would it be justified?… And [Newman] said, “If it were, it wouldn’t upset me."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Where the gently caress do these people come from? What sort of loving child-abuse upbringing do you have to be subjected to that you think killing someone for performing a medical procedure is a good thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

Where the gently caress do these people come from? What sort of loving child-abuse upbringing do you have to be subjected to that you think killing someone for performing a medical procedure is a good thing?

America

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Memento posted:

Too much to quote, if you really want an insight into this individual's mind you can find choice quotes from his book, Their Blood Cries Out, here

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I think its because he is connecting to an international flight. He isn't allowed on the flight from LA to Australia, if they let him on the flight to LA its going to cause a bigger problem for them there as they may have some responsibility for him since they knew he couldn't get on the LA to Australia flight.

edit:fb

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 30, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Katering show(webseries) update, includes some political commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ30wf1PmnA

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This was interesting until around number 8 where he veered into bloke-in-the-pub territory with all his "why can't we have a Melbourne-Sydney bullet train" etc. Also how the hell would giving Sydney a badly-needed second airport make it a travel nightmare?

Still, it's a fascinating paradigm shift to see even the Australian forecasting catastrophic recession. When I left the country a year and a half ago, that was treated as a fringe view by both Newscorp and Fairfax. Even the housing bubble is actually being acknowledged now.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Halo14 posted:

New satellite Himawari-8 launches, bringing better weather forecasts to Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-30/new-satellite-technology-means-better-weather-forecasts/6815922

Also this is great and it owns. I wish we invested in science, thankfully the Japanese are giving us the data freely. Here is the site for people to check out:
http://satview.bom.gov.au/

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I dont think we should be barring people from entering the country based on their criminal records.

We should be barring people from the country who encourage damaging views within our society.

Should we bar someone who hasn't committed domestic violence but promotes it? Yes.

Should we bar someone who has committed domestic violence but condemns it? No.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

drunkill posted:

Also this is great and it owns. I wish we invested in science, thankfully the Japanese are giving us the data freely. Here is the site for people to check out:
http://satview.bom.gov.au/

That's cool, thanks.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

David Pope did a great cartoon on this the other day:

Shame it's wrong. The fact that Saudi Arabia is on that council at all is terrible, but they are the current occupiers of the chair of a subcommittee (On a rotation basis) and the chair has no special powers to override the subcommittee.

Anyway, enough of me saying words arranged so that they actually mean something. Time for First Dog:

And a kitten. Please admire his cute little stumps:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The hard right in the libs are gonna be pissed at this, can't wait to see what Bernardi says.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Tommofork posted:

Ehh it's a wanker and he doesn't get tazed so the video is a wash.

The States doesn't have any sort of exit immigration so presumably the first flight that checks you in (assuming connecting on same airlines) is responsible for you being approved with all the correct docs as a point of departure.

I was surprised to discover this when I got off a connecting flight in Dallas from Bumfuck, Kansas last week that I simply walked to the Qantas gate in the terminal and boarded the flight to Aus.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Memento posted:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

I dont think we should be barring people from entering the country based on their criminal records.

We should be barring people from the country who encourage damaging views within our society.

Should we bar someone who hasn't committed domestic violence but promotes it? Yes.

Should we bar someone who has committed domestic violence but condemns it? No.

I don't think any speech should be banned, personally.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

I don't think any speech should be banned, personally.

I'm going to post your address with a ten thousand dollar reward for your death. I don't actually have ten grand, it's just speech man.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I mean if you're happy to ban anti abortionists what about Wahhabi Islamists?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

I'm going to post your address with a ten thousand dollar reward for your death. I don't actually have ten grand, it's just speech man.

You're being intentionally obtuse.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Amethyst posted:

So are you. This is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

So you admit there's a line. Now you just have to figure out that where you draw it is your personal opinion and can't be lumped under 'no speech should be banned'.

• Locked thread