Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What I want to know is, what are the 20 best Kung fu movies that aren't worth my time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, who's thinking about Ong Bak 2? What the hell.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like Ip Man but it definitely drags at times and gets a bit heavier than I usually like my martial arts films.

I watched Come Drink With Me last night. There was a lot to like but a lot of the action was underwhelming and oddly edited.

Saw that Heroes of the East is on Netflix, probably gonna check that out pretty soon.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Despite the presence of Crippled Avengers, no Drunken Master 2 seems insane enough to invalidate the entire affair.

No Wing Chun either.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched Come Drink With Me last night. There was a lot to like but a lot of the action was underwhelming and oddly edited.

Come Drink With Me is a beautiful film the but the action is definitely clumsy. Which is somewhat understandable considering they were still in the process of pioneering the entire genre.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 24, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ip Man?!

Donnie Yen's ego dragged that one down like most movies he doesn't just act in and/or choreograph...

Also missing, any one of these: New Dragon Inn, Heroic Trio, Above the Law, Swordsman 2, Fiery Dragon Kid, Deadful Melody, or any one of the hundreds of other kung fu movies with great female leads.

Ong Bak 2? Gahhh.

Ong Bak 2's final fight is amazing and really ambitious. The problem is sitting through the rest of the complete loving mess.

Those lists tend to be "Here's 10 examples of (genre/style/film nationality) that you've probably heard of, get angry about omissions in the comments section because that poo poo drives our ad revenue."

I like Ip Man but it definitely drags at times and gets a bit heavier than I usually like my martial arts films.
It peaks in the first half. Everything after the Japanese invasion is on a lower level, and the final showdown is garbage.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Saw that Heroes of the East is on Netflix, probably gonna check that out pretty soon.

Oh man, I wish I could watch Heroes of the East for the first time again!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How many dollars were you paid to link a clickbait list?

This is obviously one of those lists where the guy had to scramble to make it an even number and put random poo poo he's heard of in there.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Boinks posted:

Oh man, I wish I could watch Heroes of the East for the first time again!

Heroes of the East status: doooooooooooooooooope

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No Wing Chun either.

Come Drink With Me is a beautiful film the but the action is definitely clumsy. Which is somewhat understandable considering they were still in the process of pioneering the entire genre.

No Tai Chi Master or the East is Red

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just watched Executioners from Shaolin, the last 30 minutes or so are so goddamn great. I wish the entire movie was just people fighting Pai Mei with a 7 year timeskip between each scene. Also Lily Li is a babe and is awesome in everything I've seen her in.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

How many dollars were you paid to link a clickbait list?

This is obviously one of those lists where the guy had to scramble to make it an even number and put random poo poo he's heard of in there.

No money was involved sadly :(

But yeah, the list (like most of his) is pretty miss. I actually don't know why I follow the site at this point since it ends up angering me more than not...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I vaguely remember reading that there are different cuts of Grandmaster. Is one version better than the others? Are any of the versions good? Everything I've heard about the movie is really mixed.

Also I know that everyone has pretty much torn up that list already, but no Wheels on Meals?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RichterIX posted:

I vaguely remember reading that there are different cuts of Grandmaster. Is one version better than the others? Are any of the versions good? Everything I've heard about the movie is really mixed.

Also I know that everyone has pretty much torn up that list already, but no Wheels on Meals?

I've met Benny the Jet. He still runs kickboxing seminars. I recommend it as it's the closest you'll get to meeting Yoda.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just watched Executioners from Shaolin, the last 30 minutes or so are so goddamn great. I wish the entire movie was just people fighting Pai Mei with a 7 year timeskip between each scene. Also Lily Li is a babe and is awesome in everything I've seen her in.

I watched this last night. I actually preferred the opening. Gordon Liu taking on all those dudes owned, as did the opening credits. The final fights were good too, but it kind of dragged in the middle. One thing I didn't get was the marbles from the practice dummy. What did the red mark on the marble mean?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The best Dhalsim is Simon Yam in Future Cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUNQYWsnHg

I had to quote this because I don't know what the gently caress I just watched.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The best Dhalsim is Simon Yam in Future Cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUNQYWsnHg

Woah this is on Prime with subtitles. And I just got Prime.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yesssssssssssss :unsmigghh:

I have it on DVD and have never regretted the purchase

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Snowman_McK posted:

I've met Benny the Jet. He still runs kickboxing seminars. I recommend it as it's the closest you'll get to meeting Yoda.

I swear I saw him as a referee on that Jane the Virgin show when they had a fantasy wrestling episode

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Ip Man 3 teaser dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krWC51RAVS8

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

chaos rhames posted:

What's the weirdest depiction of a foreigner in a kung-fu film? Flying Guillotine has some good ones, especially the sinister japanese and thai fighters, but there's got to be stuff that goes way further into hilarious nationalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0MvW3eh1U

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

holy poo poo the Mike Tyson rumor was real

I am 1000% in, lets do this

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That guy would get a pass if they could've gotten the original actor to voice his english dialogue.

Plus the movie has Hare Krishna kung fu monks, which I think is even weirder than a black bhuddist kung fu monk from harlem.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

chaos rhames posted:

What's the weirdest depiction of a foreigner in a kung-fu film? Flying Guillotine has some good ones, especially the sinister japanese and thai fighters, but there's got to be stuff that goes way further into hilarious nationalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUXb7K2Zqk

Screw it have the whole movie. It's Public Domain anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RTFqZnxUFo

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 2, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Drunken Master II is the best movie of all time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Iron Monkey is so close though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Ip Man 2 is the Rocky 4 of kung fu movies, all the way down to the stirring speech from a guy who don't talk so good that stirs the foreign devils out of their nationalism (although I guess Rocky is sort of the foreign devil in that scenario?).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Unfortunately the Ip Man movies suffer from Donnie Yen's Ego Disease.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Iron Monkey is so close though.

I've heard the US version is garbage compared to the original cut, but I've only seen the US DVD version.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Unfortunately the Ip Man movies suffer from Donnie Yen's Ego Disease.

You keep saying this just about every time a modern Donnie Yen movie is brought up but no one but you knows what this means or how it even effects the movie in question.

Boinks posted:

I've heard the US version is garbage compared to the original cut, but I've only seen the US DVD version.

I thought this until I saw both of them finally and it's not really the case. Just slightly more politicking and some nasty hits, like bodies bending in unnatural ways. I actually prefer the new soundtrack myself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Donnie's first work when he didn't have producer or exec producer credits was fantastic. As he got clout they became 'I can never fail' kinds of movies. He still can do good stuff (Kung Fu Jungle/Killer, Hero, and SPL are good examples) but with films like Ip Man they the character seems too untouchable in combat. I adore his early stuff like Iron Monkey (the US Soundtrack is much better), Wing Chun, and and OUATICII but I find his later stuff almost unwatchable. He is a fantastic stylist and choreographer but when he's producing he has to let himself, maybe not fail more, but not win so easily.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I avoided Iron Monkey for ages, probably due to the cover, but it's terrific so far. Sneaking in the identity of the kid is great, they give you both halves of his name separately first, so it's something you need to catch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And the kid is played by a 14 year old girl who ended up a wushu champion and finally a HK cop! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angie_Tsang

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

On friday I made the mistake of watching "Savior of the Soul II." And here I thought Corey Yuen assaulted my mind with his No Retreat, No Surrender movies and nothing he made afterwards could be any worse... I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjQESEXHes

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 5, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

G-III posted:

On friday I made the mistake of watching "Savior of the Soul II." And here I thought Corey Yuen assaulted my mind with his No Retreat, No Surrender movies and nothing he could could be much worse... I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjQESEXHes

Yeah and it's a shame because the first one has some pretty great moments and an excellent cast with Anita Mui, Andy Lau, Aaron Kwok, Gloria Yip, and Carina Lau

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Watched Skin Trade with Dolph, White, and Jaa. It's bad and uncool.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Chas McGill posted:

Watched Skin Trade with Dolph, White, and Jaa. It's bad and uncool.
That movie made you feel like you just walked in on your parents having sex, that's how bad it was. Imagine Godfrey Ho level dialogue but coming from the mouths of Peter Weller and Ron Perlman instead of some random Australian guy visiting the phillipines on vacation that week.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Man, Jaa really fell off. He seemed to be the new Jackie Chan, turned out to be much more Michael Dudikoff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He doesn't have much charisma really. Super talented physically but I don't feel warm towards his roles like the best Chan characters.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And the kid is played by a 14 year old girl who ended up a wushu champion and finally a HK cop! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angie_Tsang

Hong Kong Legends had a great special edition Iron Monkey DVD where they interviewed her and Li Fai who played the scarred witch and showed some footage from a wushu competition..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
I've been binging through the Shaw Brothers stuff on Netflix. My two favorites are: The Crippled Avengers and The Kid with the Golden Arm. I really love that stilted fighting style. Anything with any of the Venom Mob is a must-watch.