Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

quote:

Obamacare: Republicans are moving forward with their plan to waste their one chance at reconciliation on gutting Obamacare (and Planned Parenthood) while Democrats play it quiet when an immigration reformer proposes to extend Obamacare to undocumented immigrants.

I don't really get this stuff, if this is a way to use some obscure political jiujitsu move to get around the senate, why haven't the GOP used it before, what is stopping them from doing it again? Is it some stupid gentleman's agreement that only holds up when they don't want to go crazy and pass something super insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

teacup posted:

I don't really get this stuff, if this is a way to use some obscure political jiujitsu move to get around the senate, why haven't the GOP used it before, what is stopping them from doing it again? Is it some stupid gentleman's agreement that only holds up when they don't want to go crazy and pass something super insane?

Probably because all it accomplishes is getting a bill on Obama's desk where he has to veto it. And sending a bill to the President that he has already promised will definitely be vetoed doesn't make you look like a winner.

Edit: They want the headlines to read "Obama imperils government in defense of known baby-killers!" when it's more likely they'll read "Congress continues to accomplish jack and/or poo poo"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kevin McCarthy accidentally said what the Benghazi investigations have been about.

quote:

What you’re going to see is a conservative speaker, that takes a conservative Congress, that puts a strategy to fight and win. And let me give you one example. Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right?

But we put together a Benghazi special committee. A select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s untrustable. But no one would have known that any of that had happened had we not fought to make that happen.

You're mad now but you're going to be even madder when you see that this bald faced omission will change nothing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Did anyone see McCarthy's foreign policy speech? It was played on Maddow.. WOW is he dumb. He can't string 2 coherent sentences together...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Major overhaul in criminal justice being announced now. Guess they got Grassely to sign off. Ideas they were kicking around were all major improvements in sentencing so we will see what they roll out here

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is like reason #101 why you shouldn't loving have classified info on unsecured machines.

This entire scandal really amuses me though because it's always fun watching a rich person laugh off a raft of felonies that would send me to jail for the rest of my life.

Good thing so far there hasn't been any classified information on it at the time it was sent.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Biden has announced he will not be participating in the Dem debate. Apparently it is news that a guy not running for president won't be in the presidential debate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Biden has announced he will not be participating in the Dem debate. Apparently it is news that a guy not running for president won't be in the presidential debate

Until he gives his Shermanesque statement, he's assumed to be running. How else is the media going to horse race it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

People want him to run, the media wants him to run, so everyone is just running under the assumption he is running despite the fact that he has really not said he will.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

That'll just make his WWE-like entrance halfway into the debate a surprise.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fried Chicken posted:

Well, at least they eventually got the message about Warren.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Zapf Dingbat posted:

And this month in "Great Job, Alabama:"

Alabama Closes Driver's License Offices in Blackest Counties

This is a state where a photo ID is required to vote. So when are we just going to break the state apart and have the neighboring states absorb it?

Time to bring back reconstruction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

I think it's because they went through some extreme lengths to be able to allow Biden to join the debate if he wanted to.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Fried Chicken posted:

It's great for those cheap Biden not running shares I picked up last week on PredictIt though. Thanks to whoever gave the tip.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Bag of Milk posted:

Great OP as always. To start off the new month, Alabama is closing 31 driver's licence offices throughout the state leaving 29 counties without one.

8 of the top 10 counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. All of the top five counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. 11 out of the 17 counties with more than 24% of individuals living in poverty have an office closing (65%). All six counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. 59% of the 17 counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. Alabama of course has strict voter ID laws. My preferred drink is shots of Everclear. Doesn't waste my time.

You missed nothing, trust me. The last couple dozen pages were... bad.

VVV Rand Paul. Other guy is Jeb Bush.

You are underselling this: 8 out of 10 of the counties with the highest minority voter registration percentage are not just losing a driver's license office, they will have NO drivers license office. Those six counties you mention with highest black percentage, NO OFFICE.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Until he gives his Shermanesque statement, he's assumed to be running. How else is the media going to horse race it?

Talk about the guy who is making it a competitive race?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

Talk about the guy who is making it a competitive race?

And the man's doing a heck of a job at it too.
He beat Obama's individual donation record and has virtual fundraising parity with Hillary; for now.

Last I heard the national polls had them closing in on each other. Perhaps single digits? Could be wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

He beat Obama's individual donation record

In fastest time to 1 million donors, not total money. Hillary is smoking him in total money. And guess what matters more, number of donors or number of dollar bills.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I though number of votes mattered most.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

Awww :kiddo:

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

RaySmuckles posted:

That's adorable!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Individual donors seems to me like a pretty reliable count of active voters, likely to participate in the primary process. In addition, No one is saying Bernie is smoking Hillary. But the race is closing and its closer than most people thought it would be. Bernie is achieving more and more milestones, so its getting harder and harder to write him off. That is the summation of my observations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

In fastest time to 1 million donors, not total money. Hillary is smoking him in total money. And guess what matters more, number of donors or number of dollar bills.

Her campaign is also much more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders actually had more cash on hand at the moment. Clinton spend a lot of time at lavish fundraisers, any event she goes to with a large expensive entourage, just the nature of old school retail politics, while Sanders is flying commercial with minimal staff, not doing expensive events, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Her campaign is also much more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders actually had more cash on hand at the moment. Clinton spend a lot of time at lavish fundraisers, any event she goes to with a large expensive entourage, just the nature of old school retail politics, while Sanders is flying commercial with minimal staff, not doing expensive events, etc.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/01/444951689/bernie-sanders-raises-26-million-in-third-quarter-nearly-as-much-as-clinton

Here's an article that says your graph is wrong and he's raised 26 million in the 3rd quarter alone. How is it your graph only has him down at ~16mil

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

As someone who's been in the "vote Sanders in the primary, Clinton in the general" camp since he declared, he's doing much better than I expected. Clinton +13 is still a big hurdle to overcome, but it's worlds better than the Clinton +55 of six months ago. More interesting to me though is, how are the candidates' ground games shaping up? I never see news stories on that, because Infrastructure is Boring, but it seems more important than raw cash on hand or early polling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Can I get that in pie chart form?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Nolanar posted:

As someone who's been in the "vote Sanders in the primary, Clinton in the general" camp since he declared, he's doing much better than I expected. Clinton +13 is still a big hurdle to overcome, but it's worlds better than the Clinton +55 of six months ago. More interesting to me though is, how are the candidates' ground games shaping up? I never see news stories on that, because Infrastructure is Boring, but it seems more important than raw cash on hand or early polling.

Any poll which includes Biden is going to hurt Clinton.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/01/444951689/bernie-sanders-raises-26-million-in-third-quarter-nearly-as-much-as-clinton

Here's an article that says your graph is wrong and he's raised 26 million in the 3rd quarter alone. How is it your graph only has him down at ~16mil

It's not my graph and probably because it hasn't been updated. Add $26 million to his graph and add $28 million to the HIllary bar I guess.

Whats up with all the Bernie hasbara in this thread all of a sudden.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's not my graph and probably because it hasn't been updated. Add $26 million to his graph and add $28 million to the HIllary bar I guess.

Whats up with all the Bernie hasbara in this thread all of a sudden.

So you posted a misleading graph. Why don't you edit your post and delete it?

edit: look i'm editing mine to remind everyone that this guy either didn't do good research or cherry picked a misleading graph.

edit 2: and even though its super easy to change it and remove it, he refuses because he's inherently dishonest!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

How 'bout no.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RaySmuckles posted:

edit: look i'm editing mine to remind everyone that this guy either didn't do good research or cherry picked a misleading graph.

edit 2: and even though its super easy to change it and remove it, he refuses because he's inherently dishonest!

The ratio is the same though?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

Shut up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

That's it out of date. Sanders has announced its current cash on hand is 25 million, the Clinton campaign hasn't disclosed that at the moment.

The real money is all in the super PACs of course so Clinton in reality has much more than that.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Debate and Discussion indeed, gentlemen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

RaySmuckles posted:

Being really whiny and super defensive about your candidate doesn't do you, or Sanders, any favors. It just makes you annoying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

That's it out of date. Sanders has announced its current cash on hand is 25 million, the Clinton campaign hasn't disclosed that at the moment.

The real money is all in the super PACs of course so Clinton in reality has much more than that.

Yeah, really my whole point is that while it's impressive that Bernie hit a million small donors, Bernie zombies are way over inflating the importance of that fact. I mean, he only beat Obama's 2012 million donor date by a week, and it's not like there was a massive grass roots outpouring of excitement for that campaign.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

Being an aggressively whiny gently caress is neither debate nor discussion.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

Individual donors seems to me like a pretty reliable count of active voters, likely to participate in the primary process. In addition, No one is saying Bernie is smoking Hillary. But the race is closing and its closer than most people thought it would be. Bernie is achieving more and more milestones, so its getting harder and harder to write him off. That is the summation of my observations.

They're a good surrogate for a "solid supporter" that is to say, if you've donated to someone you're going to vote for someone. So nationally, there are at least 1 million people who will vote Sanders. That's to be expected based on his poll numbers.

It will be interesting if Sanders and Carson both keep up this level of fundraising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Being really whiny and super defensive about your candidate doesn't do you, or Sanders, any favors. It just makes you annoying.

Oh right, I'm the bad guy because I casually posted something positive about Bernie in the US politics thread and called someone out for posting misleading information. The chase out has been acknowledged. Dissenting opinions in this thread beware. Glad it only took until page 2.

• Locked thread