Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Carly Fiorina has been crowing about having been "friends" with Steve Jobs.

Except, whoops, not only were they not friends, Steve Jobs intentionally screwed HP to keep them out of the MP3 player market.

quote:

In return, HP got the right to sell iPods. But not in a way that could possibly succeed. Fiorna boasted to me that she would be able to sell the devices in thousands of retail outlets; up to that point Apple mostly sold them online and in its own stores. But by the time in mid-2004 that HP actually began selling its branded iPods, Apple was expanding to multiple retail outlets on its own. And soon after HP began selling iPods, Apple came out with new, improved iPods — leaving HP to sell an obsolete device. Fiorina apparently did not secure the right to sell the most current iPods in a timely fashion, and was able to deliver newer models only months after the Apple versions were widely available.

quote:

Fiorina got canned in February 2005. And HP ended the iPod deal that July. But the aftereffects of Fiorina’s incompetence in this instance lingered. The deal she struck with Jobs banned HP from selling a competitor to the iPod until August 2006. And until January of that year it still sold computers with iTunes preinstalled.

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
we'll see who's laughing next november, buster

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
overlord trump?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
stebe became this mythical computerman figure so of course she gotta go with the flow and say he was her bff

duh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

as an idiot teenager, the HP iPod made zero fuckimg sense to me in any way. now that i'm older i guess it was just... desperation???

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I wish I was notable enough to be screwed over by Steve tbh

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I wish I was notable enough to be screwed over by Steve tbh

do not worry yourself friend. do you own any apple products?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

somehow the only dead person in this story still manages to get the last laugh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

as an idiot teenager, the HP iPod made zero fuckimg sense to me in any way. now that i'm older i guess it was just... desperation???

its so you could have a checkbox to get one next to checkout for your lovely hpaq

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

As a Millennial I posted:

its the best product hp has sold in the last 20 years

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i could probably say forever and be accurate but i dont want to argue with the mouthbreating morons who think hp makes better engineering calculators than texas instruments

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Symbolic Butt posted:

stebe became this mythical computerman figure so of course she gotta go with the flow and say he was her bff

duh

if there was any justice in the world steve jobs would be remembered as a titanic rear end in a top hat who stole from everyone around him, blundered into immense wealth and then killed himself by trying to cure his cancer with raw fruit because he thought he was smarter than his million dollar doctors

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quote:

And until January of that year it still sold computers with iTunes preinstalled.

lrof

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

i could probably say forever and be accurate but i dont want to argue with the mouthbreating morons who think hp makes better engineering calculators than texas instruments

did you know they still charge like $100 for ti calculators? I saw one in a store last week and was like whoa that's literal gameboy hardware for $100 in 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its in the education market, those stupid goddamn clickers cost the same amount

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSocSgw0x3E

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

did you know they still charge like $100 for ti calculators? I saw one in a store last week and was like whoa that's literal gameboy hardware for $100 in 2015

also about as durable as a gameboy too

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

this is what hp do now

http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-pcs/25366/hps-new-all-in-one-pc-is-a-giant-phone-charger

quote:

Never mind the USB-C port - you still need to waste a USB3 port for the wireless keyboard's dongle!

thats some samsung level poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

poty posted:

what kind of loving philistine would even consider a TI calculator an engineering calculator?

I think I'm only on like the 4th or 5th set of batteries for my HP-48SX, it just goes and goes, still works perfectly 23 years after I bought it

HP’s test equipment was nothing to sneeze at either, it was lucky to be spun off to Agilent and then Keysight rather than strangled by Fiorina's incompetence

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't understand why companies still buy HP and Lenovo hardware

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

I don't understand why companies still buy HP and Lenovo hardware

"hello, i need to order 45,000 of the same laptop and need them by next wednesday, and also 12 years of 1-hour 24/7/365 on-site support"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

qirex posted:

well its not like they would benefit from anything nicer. i guess the natural thing would be to replace them with an app but phones will never ever be allowed in exams for obv reasons

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

well its not like they would benefit from anything nicer. i guess the natural thing would be to replace them with an app but phones will never ever be allowed in exams for obv reasons

tactile button..................................................

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

poty posted:

imo just gut a ti whatever and put in capacitive buttons and put a smart phone inside it and use that you'd never get caught

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Beast of Bourbon posted:

"hello, i need to order 45,000 of the same laptop and need them by next wednesday, and also 12 years of 1-hour 24/7/365 on-site support"

dell

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
other advantage of TI calcs is that 4 AAA batteries lasts forever

go to smartphones and every day's gonna be a loving snakepit of extension cords all over the place thanks to "teacher i forgot to charge my smartphone last night and i'm out of power :("

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

"hello sir you want 45000 labtops have you tried restarting your browser yet did this solve your problem please take our survey sir thank you sir"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lmao no. you get an account rep who will come out and gladhand you, and probably a master lease agreement so that whenever you need to order you just shoot an email to them and say "put it on the lease! :buddy:"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
protip: dell financial services will be more than happy to add non-dell and non-computer products to your dell lease

and yes, you do need a baller sound system at your workstation

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

what kind of loving philistine would even consider a TI calculator an engineering calculator?

I think I'm only on like the 4th or 5th set of batteries for my HP-48SX, it just goes and goes, still works perfectly 23 years after I bought it

HP’s test equipment was nothing to sneeze at either, it was lucky to be spun off to Agilent and then Keysight rather than strangled by Fiorina's incompetence

your calculator is as old as i am

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i got a new hp laptop this year (from job). it started developing heating problems and dead pixels 5 months in

i got the screen replaced under warranty and the replacement screen already had dead pixels

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

also, this thing overheats the cpu till it starts throttling its frequency during anything somewhat heavily using the cpu.

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Smythe posted:

tactile button..................................................

the cum balloon tablet could solve this issue

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Ice_2_c_u posted:

the cum balloon tablet could solve this issue

the what now?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

i'm sure after the deal was inked stebe called woz and told him he just asparagus pissed all over the ghoul that claims it is hp.

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the what now?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743495&perpage=40#post450637223

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the reason TI calculators are $100 is because they are certified engineering tools. when you build a bridge it won't collapse and kill people because your calculator had a bug and gave you a wrong number somewhere. both the hardware and the software have been verified to be trustworthy for use in cases where you can be criminally liable as an engineer if you gently caress up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

The Management posted:

the reason TI calculators are $100 is because they are certified engineering tools.

hmm.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

the reason TI calculators are $100 is because they are certified engineering tools. when you build a bridge it won't collapse and kill people because your calculator had a bug and gave you a wrong number somewhere. both the hardware and the software have been verified to be trustworthy for use in cases where you can be criminally liable as an engineer if you gently caress up.

:prepop:

makes total sense, thanks, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Constant Hamprince posted:

if there was any justice in the world steve jobs would be remembered as a titanic rear end in a top hat who stole from everyone around him, blundered into immense wealth and then killed himself by trying to cure his cancer with raw fruit because he thought he was smarter than his million dollar doctors

be the change you want to see in the world

The Management posted:

if this were a click it would be a pro click

• Locked thread