Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.
You should read the Energy Gerneration and GMO threads.

Actually, you shouldn't. They are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Well the overwhelming majority of gun crime is done with handguns, almost none is done with "assault weapons," so if I were a gun control supporter I would start there. You'd also have to find a way to bring down the vast number of handguns out there already or else you wouldn't do much good.

I think we should ban rifles and 'assault weapons,' but not handguns, just to collectively watch TFR melt down to purestrain gold.

Let's start there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Well the overwhelming majority of gun crime is done with handguns, almost none is done with "assault weapons," so if I were a gun control supporter I would start there. You'd also have to find a way to bring down the vast number of handguns out there already or else you wouldn't do much good.

You mean the exact same restrictions on handguns that the NRA et al have spent decades tearing down?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

just got volume 5-6 of lucifer and the biscuit hammer in the mail from amazon, but it has some kind of weird loving printing error where the top half-inch or so of every page is cut off and there's a corresponding half-inch of blank paper at the bottom. god dammit amazon

Do you see what gun control does people?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you want to ahem, protect the *extremely strong ahem* rights of gun owners to hunt and protect themselves at home from threats that will materialize, there's no reason not to ban anything with a mag and only permit bolt-action rifles with 3 round capacity, shotguns and revolvers.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

zoux posted:

If you want to ahem, protect the *extremely strong ahem* rights of gun owners to hunt and protect themselves at home from threats that will materialize, there's no reason not to ban anything with a mag and only permit bolt-action rifles with 3 round capacity, shotguns and revolvers.

I think you mean a clip?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

if we ban handguns though the suicide rate will decrease and i find this to be an inexcusable restriction on the 2A rights of americans

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I suggest banning all guns except .22 Long Rifles which aren't lethal.
.22LR is still lethal against Christians and Jews. It's just the Musselman who are all hopped up on jihad that it can't bring down.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if we ban handguns though the suicide rate will decrease and i find this to be an inexcusable restriction on the 2A rights of americans
It would make blowing your brains out require a little flexibility which would encourage physical fitness.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Which is the goal of background checks and stuff like closing the gun show loophole. The assault weapons and high capacity magazine stuff are pretty much about addressing mass shootings in particular, and not general gun crime. That is why those suggestions tend to come up following a mass shooting.

edit: Also that's why there's pressure to make background checks a federal thing, or at least uniform across the nation. So you can't just go to Texas or somewhere else to pick up a gun.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 1, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Agreed. This is a pretty fundamental right for gun owners IMHO

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

I think you mean a clip?

They get really mad when you use correct terminology because it doesn't let them derail the debate into a argument about terms instead of policy.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Heh these dudes who are sad about ten+ people dying in a mass shooting don't know anything about guns

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I support forcing all guns to be permanently held against each other like they're kissing.

this_is_hard posted:

I think you mean a clip?

You mean the bayonet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

I support forcing all guns to be permanently held against each other like they're kissing.

You mean the bayonet.

Augh gay guns!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well you see, the island of Chicago has severe restrictions on handguns and just look at the murder rate there! And furthermore :downswords:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

zoux posted:

See you're just proving chitoryu12's point, revolvers are much more commonly used in gun crimes than rifles with a magazine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Yeah I don't either tbh but I feel like they have to.

Me too. I mean if superpacs didn't work people wouldn't donate millions of dollars to them right? OK that sounds sarcastic but I don't mean it that way.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

* chitoryu12 flips the channel, his trusty sig sauer resting silently in his lap *

"ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING..." The news drones into the background noise.

* chitoryu12 sighs *

"To think, the number of people that are going to be discussing this issue without understanding the difference between a clip and a magazine. It's a loving national travesty."

* chitoryu12 sets his pistol aside, being sure not to break trigger discipline *

"Well, guess I better get ready"

* chitoryu12 grabs his notebook, pulls up his firefox web browser (version 38.3.0 ESR, of course), and finds the bookmark folder titled "USE IN CASE OF MASS SHOOTING" *

* chitoryu12 clicks on the only bookmark *

"Debate and Discussion, my old friend. "

* farts *

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

guns shouldn't be banned, but anyone who shows interest in owning them should be banned from doing so

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

See you're just proving chitoryu12's point, revolvers are much more commonly used in gun crimes than rifles with a magazine.

In mass shootings? That's what I'm talking about not general crime. I think the policy proposal I said would more or less end double digit fatality mass shootings in America.

Also if I had to guess, I'd guess that revolvers are cheaper or more available or some other variable rather than they are just better to do crimes with.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

guns shouldn't be banned, but anyone who shows interest in owning them should be banned from doing so
I feel this way about politics.

Anyone who wants to be in charge shouldn't be.

We need to devise a system wherein we elect only the people who least want to be elected.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Welp, we've got our first :godwin: ITT.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

They should probably just stop letting spergs go out in public if they're gonna keep murdering everyone.

Fedoras and Goku shirts should be shoot-on-sight for our nation's police.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

icantfindaname posted:

That's some catch.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

TGLT posted:

Which is the goal of background checks and stuff like closing the gun show loophole. The assault weapons and high capacity magazine stuff are pretty much about addressing mass shootings in particular, and not general gun crime. That is why those suggestions tend to come up following a mass shooting.

edit: Also that's why there's pressure to make background checks a federal thing, or at least uniform across the nation. So you can't just go to Texas or somewhere else to pick up a gun.

If you try to buy a privately owned gun from a state you're not a resident of, that's interstate commerce and requires a background check already. Even if you meet at a gun show.

Ironically the federal "power" to mandate UBC nationwide didn't exist until after Raich v Gonzalez redefined "commerce" to include non-commercial things like pot grown for your own use. Which is why the Brady Bill background checks law passed in the 90's didn't mandate nationwide UBC at the time even though back then the NRA was nominally in favor of doing that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The assault weapons ban was actually about fighting the CRACK MENACE where SUPERCRIMINAL BLACK URBAN YOUTH would OUTGUN THE POLICE.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
guns should be legal but firing them should not be

everyone has to make *pkew pkew ratatatatatat* noises w/ their mouths from now on

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think mass shootings are very good because I am a Real American.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gravel Gravy posted:

That's some catch.

Catch .22

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

:hfive:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

Welp, we've got our first :godwin: ITT.

because the evil gubmint taking your manchild toys away is literally equivalent to the holocaust. got it

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
NRCC decided to go with a fundraising pitch of "give us money so we can defend the 2nd amendment" shortly after this news broke, which seems ghoulish even for them

Remember, it is in bad taste to discuss gun control as something we need this soon after a tragedy, but perfectly appropriate to raise money and discuss gun control as something we don't need this soon after a tragedy

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

because the evil gubmint taking your manchild toys away is literally equivalent to the holocaust. got it

Thinking doesn't come easy to this_is_hard

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think mass shootings are very good because I am a Real American.

Fight for the rights of every man (to own machine guns and discriminate against black people)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

I see what you did there.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I feel this way about politics.

Anyone who wants to be in charge shouldn't be.

We need to devise a system wherein we elect only the people who least want to be elected.

sortition worked for Athens, it can work for us

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if all guns came with a holder where you could clip your magazine to the gun when you want to read something while shooting. Then everyone with a gun would be confused and end up writing new yorker cartoon captions.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I don't trigger guns
they trigger me

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Meaningful gun control would be the following.

Any firearm that can fire more than one round per trigger pull or any firearm with a barrel length under 14" should be treated exactly the same regarding gun control laws.

All firearm sales require a minimum 15 day waiting period & federal background check, including gun sales between two parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

icantfindaname posted:

sortition worked for Athens, it can work for us

Recently selected President Chad "Broseph" Pennington III makes it clear in his first address to the nation that it's time to make sure everyone in America can get "wasted, high, and laid".

• Locked thread