Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

greatn posted:

What if all guns came with a holder

They'd come with a Lynch now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
My $0.02: I'm in favor of a mandatory gun safety class, secure safe requirements, and a mandate to report if a gun is lost/stolen. These should apply to ammunition as well. Also, more hoops to jump through for getting a handgun and stronger rules about domestic abusers being able to purchase firearms/ammunition.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Well poo poo.. I got a couple friends that go there. My mom went there for her RN program. :smith: I donno if classes are going to be closed here or not, thats only an hour or so drive where I'm going to school, in case of a copy cat or something.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Meaningful gun control would be the following.

Any firearm that can fire more than one round per trigger pull or any firearm with a barrel length under 14" should be treated exactly the same regarding gun control laws.

All firearm sales require a minimum 15 day waiting period & federal background check, including gun sales between two parties.

It's legal to make machine guns again!! :dance:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Any firearm that can fire more than one round per trigger pull or any firearm with a barrel length under 14" should be treated exactly the same regarding gun control laws.

All firearm sales require a minimum 15 day waiting period & federal background check, including gun sales between two parties.

15-day waiting period is really kind of needless in today's technology world, tbqh. Its not like there's a human doing any of that. (also a real federal background check is super expensive)

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Netanyahu glowered at the UN for 45 seconds today, here's the video:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/649652167431847936

edit: longer vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5UPIwXTnc

I wish the UN was more like the British Parliament with heckling.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
chans are now saying the shooter was literally the 'take the black pill' guy but that's probably just them trying to troll news networks.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wait, you don't get housing for being in Congress?! Well, that's one career path I'm not taking!

Nope. And DC real estate is as expensive than San Francisco if not worse. So somebody like Rubio's got to maintain a place for his family in Florida and also have a place to stay year-round in DC. Which gets pretty pricey. This is why "Alpha House" is a real thing.

Radbot posted:

Have you even bothered looking at a Clinton or Sanders v. Trump poll?

General Election polling this far out is pointless. Media polls only ask how people would vote now. They don't (and can't) ascertain how people will vote in 13 months after hearing a bunch of stuff about both candidates and in the economic/foreign relations situation of Nov. 2016.

To a limited extent some internal polls do this but it's very hard to do well and it's not like they'll show you the details on the internal poll (they only leak the topline if it's favorable).

Gyges posted:

This is just as true for Biden. If Hillary is out with time to jump in, it's a madhouse. If it happens after that we're all going to be feelin' the Bern.

Not necessarily. In a world where the media still doesn't fully consider Bernie a serious candidate, an Iowa/NH win unopposed by an establishment candidate will be downplayed. If Hillary drops out and Gillibrand, Biden, and whoever else can only compete in races from South Carolina and Nevada forwards, expect those to matter A LOT more.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here's the problem: Biden is to the current right of most Dem voters on things like drug policy. He would be more conservative than anyone in the race except maybe Chafee or Webb. His support is not going to be what people think it would.

Ditto Bill Clinton. Most 1998 and even 2008 Democrats are to the right of 2016 Democrats on a lot of issues. Biden's got a lot of room to re-invent himself as more aligned with the Obama administration than with his 8+ year old positions. I don't know if that'll work, but it's definitely something he can try.

greatn posted:

We were arguing over whether Bernie might be closer to Hillary's cash on hand a few pages back, turns out yes, very close. She had close to a 90% burn rate over the summer and has $32 million on hand, Bernie has $26.5 million on hand.

This seems like a shockingly high burn rate for this far out from the campaign, no?

zoux posted:

Gee, but are super PACs important?

Probably, but a lot less so than campaign dollars. Super PACs are great for dropping advertising bombs, which makes them a lot stronger on Super Tuesday than in Iowa/NH (which tend to require retail politics more).

Sanders' campaign strategy seems to be using a shocking upset win in Iowa followed by a less surprising win in New Hampshire to give him the momentum to overcome his poor polling in the later states. Clinton's Super PAC will be less effective at stopping him in Iowa/NH, but pretty effective at saturation bombing South Carolina, Nevada, and the Super Tuesday states with pro-Clinton advertisements and anti-Bernie messaging.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

If you try to buy a privately owned gun from a state you're not a resident of, that's interstate commerce and requires a background check already. Even if you meet at a gun show.

Ironically the federal "power" to mandate UBC nationwide didn't exist until after Raich v Gonzalez redefined "commerce" to include non-commercial things like pot grown for your own use. Which is why the Brady Bill background checks law passed in the 90's didn't mandate nationwide UBC at the time even though back then the NRA was nominally in favor of doing that.

Yeah, that's correct, but it does mean it's easier to find some one who can buy a gun for you. A lot of out of state guns in Chicago, for example, come from Indiana. Or just other more lax parts of Illinois.

I mean, straw purchases are illegal, but a lack of a background check can facilitate that sort of sale. But I suppose you'd also be right in arguing that at that point they're breaking the law anyways.

edit: Actually, I'm really not sure the effect waiting periods have on mass shootings. More of a suicide prevention thing.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 1, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

15-day waiting period is really kind of needless in today's technology world, tbqh. Its not like there's a human doing any of that. (also a real federal background check is super expensive)

Depends on the kind of background check. We're probably not talking about a DoD security clearance investigation, I'm guessing.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Waiting periods actually do a lot with preventing crimes of passion, and obviously it would not be the full-on federal background check.

SedanChair posted:

It's legal to make machine guns again!! :dance:

I'm actually fine with this provided they are massively regulated if handguns are also subject to those regulations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

A Winner is Jew posted:

For the record I'm in favor of strict gun control but how do you stop someone from buying a gun, ostensibly for themselves, then just gifting it to someone for free?

And how do you stop black market gun sales? That's where a ton of people get handguns for crimes.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

I actually own several guns (a couple 9mm Nerfs and a Super Soaker) and as a gun owner I am all for gun control legislation to prevent tragedies like this.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Elephant Ambush posted:

For the record I'm in favor of strict gun control but how do you stop someone from buying a gun, ostensibly for themselves, then just gifting it to someone for free?

And how do you stop black market gun sales? That's where a ton of people get handguns for crimes.

Is there not criminal liability for the registered owner of the gun if it's found to have been used in a crime?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

because the evil gubmint taking your manchild toys away is literally equivalent to the holocaust. got it

:thejoke:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's already super duper illegal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jackson Taus posted:

This seems like a shockingly high burn rate for this far out from the campaign, no?

She has a fuckton of field offices and paid staff.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Elephant Ambush posted:

Enforce it like a straw purchase and make it harder to buy ammunition for your illegal gun. The thing is though, it's so easy to get a legal gun that it's not really necessary to get black market ones. Hell a shitton of the illegal guns in Mexico were bought legally here.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.
Except you don't have a deep understanding of the subject matter. You don't even know the subject. You know minutia about devices, but the subject is public policy. Whining about a magazine vs a clip is irrelevant to the objective, methodology, and effectiveness of a policy proposal. It would come into play in getting the legalese in any regulation or bill correct to achieve the policy end, but by then the policy debate would already have been hashed out.

On top of that, I can think of far far worse that has happened to subject matter experts on topics. Or did you miss what happened to the women who talked about having had abortions yesterday? Or the scientists sued over climate change. Or the cops who come out for police reform and end up imprisoned in asylums.

You have developed a great depth of trivial knowledge, kudos for you. But don't expect anyone to let you pass said trivia as actual knowledge, or go along with your self pity for your trivia not being shown the respect your deluded ego thinks you deserve

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

pathetic little tramp posted:

chans are now saying the shooter was literally the 'take the black pill' guy but that's probably just them trying to troll news networks.

I know red pill and iron pill - what's black pill?

Oh god I know I'm going to so regret having asked that

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Waiting periods actually do a lot with preventing crimes of passion, and obviously it would not be the full-on federal background check.

I am saying a 15-day waiting period is excessive.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eschers Basement posted:

Once you go black you never go back.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nah.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Elephant Ambush posted:

If they didn't report it stolen or didn't include a writ of sale (which would be for $0 in the case of a gift) then that person gets blackballed from ever buying a gun legally again.

As for black market gun sales... well poo poo. Guess we just shouldn't have laws then. :dawkins101:

You obviously keep going after them and prosecuting the people involved like we're doing now.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Shooter is dead

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Eschers Basement posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tuf59ex-U0

dude is from Oregon

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

You say that, but if you're being honest with yourself you'll realize that the first step in the Holocaust, before the deportations and forced resettlement, before the concentration camps and ethnic cleansing, was disarming the populace. It's not that big of a stretch.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Way more people die from cheap poo poo handguns in everyday shootings than like high capacity assault weapons in mass shootings but nobody pays attention to everyday gun violence so ...?

Over 300 people got shot in Chicago last month but ehhhh who gives a gently caress; not scary enough

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Milk Malk posted:

You say that, but if you're being honest with yourself you'll realize that the first step in the Holocaust, before the deportations and forced resettlement, before the concentration camps and ethnic cleansing, was disarming the populace. It's not that big of a stretch.

It's actually a pretty big stretch.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm actually fine with this provided they are massively regulated if handguns are also subject to those regulations.

I'm OK with this because by the time congress gets done with it none of the stuff about handguns would be in there, just like happened with the National Firearms Act.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Milk Malk posted:

Badger of Basra posted:

It's actually a pretty big stretch.

Yeah quite the stretch unless you've got some breaking news from the commonwealth to share.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That seems like a relatively short amount of time, what's excessive about it? Two weeks used to be standard shipping.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Way more people die from cheap poo poo handguns in everyday shootings than like high capacity assault weapons in mass shootings but nobody pays attention to everyday gun violence so ...?

Over 300 people got shot in Chicago last month but ehhhh who gives a gently caress; not scary enough

I agree, ban handguns nationwide.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

I'm OK with this because by the time congress gets done with it none of the stuff about handguns would be in there, just like happened with the National Firearms Act.

Well yeah, getting meaningful gun control laws would require a sane congress so I'm well aware of discussing such matters being a work of complete fantasy.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

icantfindaname posted:

guns shouldn't be banned, but anyone who shows interest in owning them should be banned from doing so

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I feel this way about politics.

Anyone who wants to be in charge shouldn't be.

We need to devise a system wherein we elect only the people who least want to be elected.

you're approaching Rawl's "veil of ignorance"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

greatn posted:

That seems like a relatively short amount of time, what's excessive about it? Two weeks used to be standard shipping.

15-days for buying something in person is kind of strange, given the actual check is completely electronic. That's three business weeks. That's longer than it takes to get a car loan.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Monkey Fracas posted:

more middle aged white white men kill themselves with handguns every month than anyone gets shot in gang violence, i agree that it's not really a problem worth addressing or even a problem really

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm curious now to exactly what type of gun the shooter did use. Between the number of people hurt and killed and the shots fired at the police that responded to the shooting, he was ready for war it seems.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Death and Chicago are like chocolate and peanut butter.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I bet if we took away all the guns

everyone would be just fine. so lets do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Tons of people do in fact care about more common gun crime, and suicide prevention, and what you're saying is pretty similar to suggesting Al Sharpton never talks about black on black violence even though he does. I mean also, just because Thing A is bad does not mean we should do nothing about Thing B. Like if I didn't wear a seatbelt, binge drinking isn't any less dumb for it.

• Locked thread