Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kegluneq posted:

Also, shame on you if your letter of last resort contained anything other than the targeting coordinates for the tomb of Margeret Thatcher, just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Cerebral Bore posted:

The deterrent is still there just as much as before, because this thing called the United States of America still exists.

Also Afghanistan is in Central Asia.

Do you really have faith in America to act in the UK's best interests?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The news (and this thread) has gotten a lot more tolerable since I got Chrome to replace 'Trident' with 'Metal Gear'

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
London is actually really cool and good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The news (and this thread) has gotten a lot more tolerable since I got Chrome to replace 'Trident' with 'Metal Gear'

Haha, yeah.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I can't stop laughing at this.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Now just replace "nuclear weapons" with "nuclear equipped walking battle tanks"

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

JFairfax posted:

hmmm, let's take a look at the telegraph website and see what that's saying...

Yeah, this is what I meant by "don't fight a losing battle for something that is morally right at the expense of your authority". It's going even worse than I predicted. He has no power to dismantle the Trident program, but he could so something about the neoconservative pro-austerity, anti-worker narrative that we've had since 2008 and if he were forced out because of Trident it would be a massive shame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also possibly Jeremy Corbyn with Revolver Ocelot, he does look a bit like him.

OhYeah posted:

Yeah, this is what I meant by "don't fight a losing battle for something that is morally right at the expense of your authority". It's going even worse than I predicted. He has no power to dismantle the Trident program, but he could so something about the neoconservative pro-austerity, anti-worker narrative that we've had since 2008 and if he were forced out because of Trident it would be a massive shame.

The telegraph are going to say he's bringing about the end of the world regardless of what he does. He's had a successful conference by all non-tory accounts and he's very well received and popular among people he speaks to.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
May 2020 Jeremy "Jezza" Corbyn is elected Prime Minister Lord Protector of the United Soviet Republic of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

June 2020: remembering Mr Corbyn's stance on Trident, every other nuclear power launches their missiles at Britain. They've been waiting decades to kill tens of millions of people for no particular reason, and they aren't about to let this opportunity pass them by.

On the plus side, there is no more nukechat, even unto the end of days

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
FT's reporting a pause on (Corbyn's) Student Fees policy until party consultation carried out.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/636ab014-682d-11e5-97d0-1456a776a4f5.html#axzz3nOijWRfc

FT posted:

Jeremy Corbyn has shelved a proposal to scrap university tuition fees, while he consults the rest of the Labour party — a process that risks diluting the radical programme he set out in the summer leadership race.

The new leader of the opposition said only weeks ago that he would raise £10bn through higher taxes in order to remove fees and restore student grants.

It was his first major policy statement and helped build support among young left-wingers. It would have been funded by either a 2.5 per cent rise in corporation tax or a 7 per cent increase in national insurance for those earning more than £50,000 a year.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Hong XiuQuan posted:

FT's reporting a pause on Student Fees policy until party consultation carried out.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/636ab014-682d-11e5-97d0-1456a776a4f5.html#axzz3nOijWRfc
This is where it starts right here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope he goes ahead with it but I can't really blame him for pursuing what he said he'd do and that's ask everyone about it.

I would be surprised if there isn't some popular support for the idea though.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Hong XiuQuan posted:

FT's reporting a pause on (Corbyn's) Student Fees policy until party consultation carried out.

The Labour party will overwhelmingly support him. The FT is talking out of its arse.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

OvineYeast posted:

The Labour party will overwhelmingly support him. The FT is talking out of its arse.

I agree. Just think he needs to respond quickly to it. Not hard for media to position this as a flip flop. Most won't be as accurate as FT either.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I've not properly been to London over a decade. Apparently it's not just the rent that's got worse.

When I was in the ticket office part of the Underground at Liverpool Street last week they had a repeating announcement about how busking and begging are illegal, you should not encourage buskers or beggars by giving them money and you must report them immediately.

gently caress. That.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I didn't understand the issues surrounding trident before, but now its been framed in a video games reference it all makes sense.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone wants in on the Metal Gear/Trident party I used Word Replacer 2 on the Chrome app page. Took about ten seconds to set up:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/word-replacer-ii/djakfbefalbkkdgnhkkdiihelkjdpbfh?hl=en

Apologies in advance if the app turns out to be a Russian mob front for stealing cc numbers.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Zephro posted:

May 2020 Jeremy "Jezza" Corbyn is elected Prime Minister Lord Protector of the United Soviet Republic of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

June 2020: remembering Mr Corbyn's stance on Trident, every other nuclear power launches their missiles at Britain. They've been waiting decades to kill tens of millions of people for no particular reason, and they aren't about to let this opportunity pass them by.

On the plus side, there is no more nukechat, even unto the end of days
You forgot to mention that this will only happen if this man

actually says he wouldn't push the button.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
So on a scale of 1 to Exclusively A Playground For The Rich, I guess London is up to about a 7 or so by now? There's still work to be done but they're making great progress.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

We will be wiped out in the first strike of any full scale nuclear exchange because of all the radar installation and airbases and the fact we're a major ally of the USA.

There will be nothing left of the UK by the time Trident is launched, what is the point at that point?

I grew up in East Anglia in the late 70s and 80s. Between Molesworth, Greenham Common, Alconbury and the other US missile sites, intelligence facilities and airbases in the region, we were pretty much assured of winning the turned into glass lottery if any kind of nuclear exchange happened.

big scary monsters posted:

If I had nukes I'd first strike the SA server and colo just to stop this terrible conversation.

Then we'd see just how good a deterrent Trident really is.
Tough on posting, tough on the causes of posting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Zac Goldsmith is the tory candidate for london mayor after a total of 9227 people voted in the primary

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jose posted:

Zac Goldsmith is the tory candidate for london mayor after a total of 9227 people voted in the primary

How meny were eligable to vote and what did he get? Not legitimate unless he got 40% of the electorate IMHO.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Angepain posted:

So on a scale of 1 to Exclusively A Playground For The Rich, I guess London is up to about a 7 or so by now? There's still work to be done but they're making great progress.

its great lots of the people who can no longer afford to set up independent bars restaurants and other businesses there are coming to birmingham instead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he got 70.6% of the vote and anyone in london could have signed up for £1. Most people probably had no idea though since the tories weren't exactly advertising it taking place

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Labour won a council ward by-election in tru-blu Oxfordshire today on a swing of 6.5% from the Tories.

Only about 2,000 votes cast so it's hardly a sign the revolution is upon us but it's worth noting that politicalbetting.com had predicted "a nice reassuring Conservative hold proving that whilst Scotland seems determined to have a second referendum on independence, in the more rural parts of England it’s a simply a case of 'Jeeves, close the curtains will you, it’s getting a might parky in the evenings now!'"

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Zohar posted:

Labour won a council ward by-election in tru-blu Oxfordshire today on a swing of 6.5% from the Tories.

Only about 2,000 votes cast so it's hardly a sign the revolution is upon us but it's worth noting that politicalbetting.com had predicted "a nice reassuring Conservative hold proving that whilst Scotland seems determined to have a second referendum on independence, in the more rural parts of England it’s a simply a case of 'Jeeves, close the curtains will you, it’s getting a might parky in the evenings now!'"

They also won one of the seats for that ward (Banbury Grimsbury and Castle) in May, so it's not too surprising. In general Oxfordshire towns are not quite as Tory as you might think - it's the villages that tend to swing things right.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Helen Highwater posted:

I grew up in East Anglia in the late 70s and 80s. Between Molesworth, Greenham Common, Alconbury and the other US missile sites, intelligence facilities and airbases in the region, we were pretty much assured of winning the turned into glass lottery if any kind of nuclear exchange happened.

Tough on posting, tough on the causes of posting.

I grew up 200 metres from Greenham Common. Oblivion is certain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eh, if we as a species didn't have the todestrieb to do it during the 60s-80s, I highly doubt we're going to do it now.

The media is making a whole lot of fuss about "kindly old man rules out killing millions in absurd hypothetical" though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OvineYeast posted:

They also won one of the seats for that ward (Banbury Grimsbury and Castle) in May, so it's not too surprising. In general Oxfordshire towns are not quite as Tory as you might think - it's the villages that tend to swing things right.

In fact, Oxford East is one of the few Labour constituencies in the southeast that isn't in London.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

The media is making a whole lot of fuss about "kindly old man rules out killing millions in absurd hypothetical" though.

To be fair he only ruled out using Trident, as far as I know he hasn't changed his stance on extinction level meteor strikes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

To be fair he only ruled out using Trident, as far as I know he hasn't changed his stance on extinction level meteor strikes.
I don't disagree with him there. It's the only way to make sure that we're not left with a world where the dominant superpowers are Argentina, Australia, South Africa, and a superbillionaire stronghold in New Zealand.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OhYeah posted:

we've had since 2008
How many countries do you live in?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pork Pie Hat posted:

When I was in the ticket office part of the Underground at Liverpool Street last week they had a repeating announcement about how busking and begging are illegal, you should not encourage buskers or beggars by giving them money and you must report them immediately.

gently caress. That.

You've always needed a licence to busk in Covent Garden. The Pogues, or at least Shane and Jem, auditioned for one in 1981/2 time

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Typical loving leftist dreamer.

We have the technology to wipe out humanity now, but nooooooo, it's gotta be this pie in the sky bullshit or they take their toys home.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

The New Statesman is a loving terrible magazine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tooterfish posted:

Typical loving leftist dreamer.

We have the technology to wipe out humanity now, but nooooooo, it's gotta be this pie in the sky bullshit or they take their toys home.
If Europe worked together on a Manhattan + Apollo scale we could weaponize the Philae project within two decades.

lol your biggest missile can destroy a whole county Russia. That's precious. *adjusts thrusters on Corbyn IV module attached to 10 gigatons of space rock*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Jose posted:

he got 70.6% of the vote and anyone in london could have signed up for £1. Most people probably had no idea though since the tories weren't exactly advertising it taking place

Well it's not legitimate because you need 50% plus of the electorate, and 6514 is only 0.1% of the 5.5million eligible voters. Sorry Zac those are the new rules now the conservatives have a Union https://www.politicshome.com/economy-and-work/articles/story/tories-launch-group-represent-moderate-trade-unionists

• Locked thread