Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:UPDATE:frogsiren:
Ep 48 - Mix Tape / Spring '87 (youtube)

hope youre ready for the most boring episode of the most boring game ever to be LPed

its 13 minutes of audio logs

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kuvo posted:

Ep 48 - Mix Tape / Spring '87 (youtube)

hope youre ready for the most boring episode of the most boring game ever to be LPed

its 13 minutes of audio logs

Kowloon Today (1)
Kowloon Today (2)
Lan Di's Objective (1)
Wong's Report (1)
Wong's Report (2)
Wong's Report (3)
The Hamburgers Of gently caress-San (1)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Good God. Every time I think this series can't possibly get any more bafflingly monotonous, it just keeps topping itself. And this is a game series that has you dialing a rotary phone in real time.

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny
Shenmue three has Ryo hire a private investigator then do japan taxes for 20 hours.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I completely forgot about that part. I remember mainly fast forwarding through everything if it didn't sound related to Yuanda Zhu in the first few seconds. It did however mean I missed the news report about Ryo and Ren being wanted by the police for breaking into the medicine shop. That did amuse me.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
And Bobbin Threadbare thought opening drawers in Thi4f was bad.

Noxious_Photon
Sep 9, 2015
You know it's episodes like this that have me completely baffled as to why something like Shenmue 3 was one, seen as a good idea at all and more importantly number two, able to amount about 6.3 million dollars in backers.

I mean, this episode was just audio logs that add nothing to the game, just like a majority of the pointless stuff in it. I get that there is a huge nostalgia for the game or whatever, but how dense are these people to give that much money to a sequel of THIS; are people's nostalgia goggles so thick that they have lost all comprehension of reality?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Noxious_Photon posted:

You know it's episodes like this that have me completely baffled as to why something like Shenmue 3 was one, seen as a good idea at all and more importantly number two, able to amount about 6.3 million dollars in backers.

I've been feeling this way during this whole LP. This game is hilarious to watch because it's so awful but it boggles my mind that some people out there actually think it's good (and would pay money for a new one).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Noxious_Photon posted:

but how dense are these people to give that much money to a sequel of THIS; are people's nostalgia goggles so thick that they have lost all comprehension of reality?

Remember who our protagonist is. Someone so obtuse that he needs to be told by 6 or 8 people how to get somewhere and can shrug off a point blank blunt proposition.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
At least Shenmue 1 had memorable characters. Aside from Joy, Cat, and Wong I have no loving idea who any of these people are including the guy we were handcuffed to. I remember he was a minor boss fight who got on the box art somehow

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

I've been feeling this way during this whole LP. This game is hilarious to watch because it's so awful but it boggles my mind that some people out there actually think it's good (and would pay money for a new one).

You gotta do it. It's like DNF. It might not be a good idea, but you might as well get the end, right?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Danaru posted:

At least Shenmue 1 had memorable characters. Aside from Joy, Cat, and Wong I have no loving idea who any of these people are including the guy we were handcuffed to. I remember he was a minor boss fight who got on the box art somehow

Ummm. Hello? Delin? :colbert:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
The thing I miss from Shenmue 1 was the inane poo poo the NPCs would say. In Shenmue 2 95% of them are just asking for directions (which is an improvement in game design, but eh..). The rest are plot characters or that one kid.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

MR. J posted:

The thing I miss from Shenmue 1 was the inane poo poo the NPCs would say. In Shenmue 2 95% of them are just asking for directions (which is an improvement in game design, but eh..). The rest are plot characters or that one kid.

"Please don't call me 'Little Suede-Headed Ryo'."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

DO IT TO IT posted:

This game is hilarious to watch because it's so awful but it boggles my mind that some people out there actually think it's good (and would pay money for a new one).
I honestly can't explain why I like these stupid games. They're filled with tedious bullshit like this bit with the audio tapes and the upcoming worst segment in any game ever made, but I can't help but enjoy them regardless and also gave way too much money to the kickstarter.

I'm a terrible broken person in many ways, though, so maybe that explains some of it.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
A fair amount of rose-tinted gloss has come off my memories of them based on the LP so far, but I still enjoy them far more than the Yakuza series. It is a 15 year old game after all, it really was nothing like anything else that was out at the time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Weasling Weasel posted:

A fair amount of rose-tinted gloss has come off my memories of them based on the LP so far, but I still enjoy them far more than the Yakuza series. It is a 15 year old game after all, it really was nothing like anything else that was out at the time.

They also don't have those annoying semi-random encounters.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

MR. J posted:

When we started this thread, quite a few people were mentioning how this game is better than the first one because of improved game mechanics. However, with us being this far in now, I can freely say that I think it's actually much worse for this exact reason. The designers (marginally) improved the problems with flow of the game -- such as waiting around too much and an entire week of forced, unskippable forklift races -- but they took out the "big wide world" sensibilities that Shenmue has.

The first game had a lot of random dialogue and bits of conversation that were completely unrelated to plot advancement. In this game, 98% of NPCs just tell you where to go, or at the very least, where to go in order to find out where to go. Worst of all, a lot of the conversations are the same exact script. There is no longer a sense of community in Ryo's surroundings. The entire world lacks character. It makes the plot move along faster while detracting from the overall tone of the game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You have to consider though, Ryo is no longer in his tiny hometown, he's in big sprawling cities in a foreign land. He's a fish out of water. It makes sense thematically for the game to lose that sense of small community.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
To me, this segment is a perfect microcosm of Shenmue II. The tape player is beautifully rendered, with tons of detail. It has functional buttons that you can use to do pretty much whatever you like with the tape. But, there's no reason to use any of them and the whole thing turns out to be essentially pointless and could have been replaced, as far as the plot is concerned, with a single line of dialogue.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

topiKal posted:

In this game, 98% of NPCs just tell you where to go, or at the very least, where to go in order to find out where to go. Worst of all, a lot of the conversations are the same exact script.

Skrewtape posted:

To me, this segment is a perfect microcosm of Shenmue II. The tape player is beautifully rendered, with tons of detail. It has functional buttons that you can use to do pretty much whatever you like with the tape. But, there's no reason to use any of them and the whole thing turns out to be essentially pointless and could have been replaced, as far as the plot is concerned, with a single line of dialogue.
One other really big part of these two games is the way they were hyped before realease. You'd read about those features in EGM or something, and be amazed that there was a game with a feature that different from anything else you'd ever seen (going to another game, people lost their poo poo when they saw you could destroy lights in "Perfect Dark"). Features like "You can talk to every NPC" sounded awesome in a bulleted list in a game magazine, but in execution you realize maybe there's a reason nobody's ever tried to do that before, or tried it then removed it from the final game.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

this lp is actually going out of its way to be boring if you've never played the game before (e.g., the fast forward button automatically skips to the next segment; taking a half an hour to find the suits in the dragon building and running by them like a dozen times), although that is not to say that it's not already boring in itself in many respects.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 4, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 49 - Berk the Hedgehog (youtube)

i was drunk before this session even started so sorry about the next few episodes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I saw that too

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Moonchild was Bastian's mother's name in The Neverending Story, and the name he gave the Empress. People who watched the movie and didn't read the book mostly don't know that because somebody decided to make that line completely inaudible, and nobody ever uses that name again.

I bet you could learn a lot about the Yellow Heads in the Yellow Head Bldg, across from the Tea Break Bldg. I can't imagine they'd be hard to find.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Berk is actually an incorrect spelling. His name is actually Bark, and he's a polar bear. He's from Sonic the Fighters, an arcade fighting game from the 90s based on the Fighting Vipers engine with a bunch of Sonic characters and Bean from another arcade game called Dynamite Dux. Both he and Bean appeared in the Saturn game Fighters Megamix where he could fight the VF2 and FV characters, along with others like Janet from Virtua Cop, Rent-a-Hero, and the Hornet from Daytona USA. I don't think he appeared anywhere else (although he probably appeared in the comics in some way - I'm not going near that mess).

Also, when you said "I can't go through walls, sir" made me remember several of the glitches in this game. You actually can go through walls and skip a large parts of the game, including one that you're getting very close to.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

topiKal posted:

When we started this thread, quite a few people were mentioning how this game is better than the first one because of improved game mechanics.

how many fights have there been that aren't a QTE, part of that rather obtuse to find fighting ring or against someone who dodges everything you do, like 3?

maybe I'm mis-remembering but I coulda sworn the first game had way more forced fights within the same timespan, in this game you constantly train for new moves that you never use or need because unless you actively look for it there's never any combat that isn't a QTE

ffhanger
Nov 20, 2008

Kuvo posted:

i was drunk before this session even started

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

darealkooky posted:

how many fights have there been that aren't a QTE, part of that rather obtuse to find fighting ring or against someone who dodges everything you do, like 3?

maybe I'm mis-remembering but I coulda sworn the first game had way more forced fights within the same timespan, in this game you constantly train for new moves that you never use or need because unless you actively look for it there's never any combat that isn't a QTE

from memory. in hong kong the "free battles" that aren't just sparring are (1) the first fight with moe larry and curly to get your bag back, (2) the fight where you save the old bitch lady from landsharks, (3) an optional fight where the old bitch lady teaches you a move (4) an optional fight in man mo park that starts with you either dodging or getting hit in the head with a two-by-four after a failed chow wan sign, (5) the fight in the restaurant to save yuanda zhu, (6) does the fight where the entire gang beats you up as it fades to black count as a fight? (7+) a bunch of fights on beverly hills wharf. you can get into like a dozen here with random gang members but i think they are all optional. (8) fight in the warehouse with two kung fu goons, (9) fight with the native american guy or larry if you chase him down to find ren...

and you can add to that the fights with the german chick and tomato girl but that's not part of the real game i guess. i think that's it.

i haven't played shenmue 1 in forever but i think they deliberately put a lot more "action" in 2 because that was a complaint about the first one, although that action mainly comes in the form of qtes. note that like half of these fights are optional. huah.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

darealkooky posted:

They spend a bizarre amount of time talking about the fighting when Ryo almost never has to actually do it. Even the kickstarter video talked about it for like half of it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 50 - Pet Shop Birdy Birds (youtube)

me re-watching this loving episode

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
That's a real dick move to make you do that in a building without stairs. Especially since the elevator logic is [charitably] “what floors do the doors not work on for this shaft,” rather than like odds/evens or halves.

That said, I do genuinely think it's a neat game. I like games that make you do stuff like play cassettes, or scroll through a map or tune a radio or dial a telephone. Of course, when a game makes me do that, its fine because I'm not recording it for the internet. I bet this is just hellish if you've played this game and know where to go. It's the reason I stopped watching that LA Noire LP someone did a while back, after all.

Anyway, I'm hella looking forward to whatever this means:

Hoss Corncave posted:

You're about to reach a point that is bound to infuriate you, but you can save after each one. For your own sanity, save after each time.

I was also gonna say I'm looking forward to finally seeing Shenmue, but you said she's at the end. We're probably nowhere near the end.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if you think those elevators are a pain in the rear end, wait until you find the building with no stairs or elevators. the game even mocks you about it after it's all over.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

if you think those elevators are a pain in the rear end, wait until you find the building with no stairs or elevators. the game even mocks you about it after it's all over.

I suspect that will be in the update after the next. As long as following Yuan doesn't take too long.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

...But then, how do they go to different floors?

I can usually at least buy that the game wants you to figure out how to find objectives on your own, but that was some Resident Evil levels of passive aggression. Can't wait for Ryo to find a red valve handle.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008
A little bit of Chinese Language stuff related to the last episode.

So in Chinese it's really common to double verbs, adjectives, and adverbs to give it a more fun or lighter connotation. If I wrote in Chinese "I'm going on a walk" (我去散步)the connotation would just be pretty normal, but say if I wanted to ask you to go on a walk with me I might phrase it something more like "Let's go on a walk walk, sound good?" (我们去散散步吧?) just to make it sound a little more casual and fun. Basically any action verb can be doubled this way, although if you were to talk this way all the time it would probably sound a little too cutesy.

So in the case of Pet Shop Birdy Birds, a character by character translation would basically be "bird bird shop" (鸟鸟馆), where the noun bird is used as a adjective to describe what kind of shop it is. Although actually Pet Shop Birdy Birds kind of captures the feeling of the shop's name, even though the translation is a bit ridiculous.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Kuvo posted:

me re-watching this loving episode

I think it makes me a bad person, but I can't help but to enjoy witnessing your collective friendship strain under the weight of Shenmue 2.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Momomo posted:

...But then, how do they go to different floors?

I can usually at least buy that the game wants you to figure out how to find objectives on your own, but that was some Resident Evil levels of passive aggression. Can't wait for Ryo to find a red valve handle.

it's not a puzzle. really nothing in this game is a puzzle except maybe unlocking the tomato girl fight.

anyway, i suggest practicing on the qte game in the moon child orphanage until you get well into expert :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

it's not a puzzle. really nothing in this game is a puzzle except maybe unlocking the tomato girl fight.

anyway, i suggest practicing on the qte game in the moon child orphanage until you get well into expert :twisted:

Don't spoil it for them.

• Locked thread