Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Joey Freshwater posted:

Somebody make it stop

*gives you a loaded gun*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Oklahoma State has won two straight games on shoddy officiating in their favor.

T. Boone buying some games.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Having two weeks of ISU and @Kansas should be helpful on that front, give players some time to get healthy or settle into bigger roles, as needed.

I will say, I was a little surprised at some of Kingsbury's playcalls in that game. I was expecting a lot more than one trick play (on a kickoff that still only got to the 40) and no onside kicks, and I was a little surprised at how early he put Webb in given Baylor's recent tendency to cough up big leads - though that's at least easy to rationalize as wanting to go easy on Mahomes' knee. I mean, Baylor came out hot and Tech was coming off of a brutal stretch, sure, but I felt like Kingsbury let it go a little easier than I expected. Am I crazy?

I just think Tech was exhausted after the past two games. That was a really emotional win and excruciating loss, and I'd expect any team/ staff, especially one so young and ailing, to not risk too much.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Frinkahedron posted:

The Battle At Bristol: Now with two brand new coaching staffs!

Nothing would actually be more awesome for that game.

It would beat the hell out of watching Vols run increasingly out of patience with Butch and the "Come Watch Beamer Slowly Die and Throw His Legacy Down the Toilet Maybe Probably Farewell Tour 2016".

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

Oklahoma State has won two straight games on shoddy officiating in their favor.

T. Boone buying some games.

Finally proof

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well I think this just goes to show that screaming at Fred Taylor's kid was a good idea after all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Big 12 teams don't count since they can't get in the playoffs

TCU and Baylor play each other late enough that the committee might remember the result this year. But I doubt they'll both be undefeated by then anyway.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

PostNouveau posted:

TCU and Baylor play each other late enough that the committee might remember the result this year. But I doubt they'll both be undefeated by then anyway.

I want a round-robin TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma where they all trade beating each other so each has at least 1 loss, each by such an even point spread that the committee ops to keep all 3 out.

If the comittee can also keep the ACC out that would be great too, tia.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I want a round-robin TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma where they all trade beating each other so each has at least 1 loss, each by such an even point spread that the committee ops to keep all 3 out.

Won't happen because Texas is going to beat OU this week.....by 20.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Unless UT can godfather offer Chip Kelly, its not going to improve the coaching situation. Who else would accept that job?

I hear there's a plucky offensive coordinator down in Tuscaloosa that's pretty good

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pook Good Mook posted:

They'll have to, so Temple and Penn State can get a rematch in the championship game.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Sab0921 posted:

It is our fate to go 11-1 with a three-touchdown loss to Texas, I think.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zoran posted:

It is our fate to go 11-1 with a three-touchdown loss to Kansas, I think.

Fixed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

That's the spirit.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

That's the spirit.

I am going to my first RRS since 45-35. It is destiny.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Scarf posted:

Fun fact: Clemson is now the 5th current FBS team with a winning record over Notre Dame (with a minimum of 3 games played).

Clemson 2-1
FSU 6-2
Michigan 24-17-1
Ohio State 3-2
Nebraska 8-7-1

If we'd had another minute on the clock back in '93 we'd be 7-1 against them. :argh:

Then again, we wouldn't have gotten Lou Holtz's snivelling crybaby press conference a few weeks later and we still won the championship so I guess it all evens out.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

Having two weeks of ISU and @Kansas should be helpful on that front, give players some time to get healthy or settle into bigger roles, as needed.

I will say, I was a little surprised at some of Kingsbury's playcalls in that game. I was expecting a lot more than one trick play (on a kickoff that still only got to the 40) and no onside kicks, and I was a little surprised at how early he put Webb in given Baylor's recent tendency to cough up big leads - though that's at least easy to rationalize as wanting to go easy on Mahomes' knee. I mean, Baylor came out hot and Tech was coming off of a brutal stretch, sure, but I felt like Kingsbury let it go a little easier than I expected. Am I crazy?

I don't think Kliff calls as many trick plays as people think he does. That's one of the reasons I think his trick plays are so dangerous: he calls them at the very perfect time.

I think Webb went in because Pat was pressing too much and it was a good opportunity to get some time for some backups against the top of the top competition. Leave Mahomes in there and he's going to to something silly and get himself hurt. I think it was good for him to sit for a bit, watch Webb work, and realize that he doesn't have to press and go for the home run on every play.

I do wish we had kicked a few field goals when we were down big and had 4th down and long. Our kickers need work too.

I was a little surprised that Briles left Russell and Linwood and the starting defense in the game for so long. Though I can understand it a bit: how they wound up with Stidham was suuuuper shady.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I think it's just a few more weeks before Beamer has to hang it up. We aren't going to win many more games this year (I somehow wouldn't be shocked to see us only win like 1 or 2 more games), and after his statements at the end of last season with Whit, I just don't see how he can justify hanging around. He said this bullshit wasn't good enough and it sure as hell isn't. Bring on something new.

Vols gotta learn how to close, maybe find an OC that isn't ancient. They clearly have enough raw talent to play with just about anyone, but they don't seem to have the right spirit or attitude in the 2nd half. I dunno feels like missing intangibles.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Honestly I am so loving nervous about this weekend. Not only would a loss be miserable, but we would literally never hear it down.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

I don't think Kliff calls as many trick plays as people think he does. That's one of the reasons I think his trick plays are so dangerous: he calls them at the very perfect time.

I think Webb went in because Pat was pressing too much and it was a good opportunity to get some time for some backups against the top of the top competition. Leave Mahomes in there and he's going to to something silly and get himself hurt. I think it was good for him to sit for a bit, watch Webb work, and realize that he doesn't have to press and go for the home run on every play.

I do wish we had kicked a few field goals when we were down big and had 4th down and long. Our kickers need work too.

I was a little surprised that Briles left Russell and Linwood and the starting defense in the game for so long. Though I can understand it a bit: how they wound up with Stidham was suuuuper shady.

That all makes sense, though I still think I might have tried at least one onside kick in the 2nd or 3rd quarters when Tech still had an outside shot of Baylor starting to make mistakes on offense that might have let Tech back in - though my football resume ain't exactly as good as Kingsbury's, so whatever. As for Linwood, I think part of that was Briles wanting the starters to work on burning clock with the running game after failing to do so in games like the Cotton Bowl last year. I'm not sure how successful I'd say they were, though - felt like we had two three and outs just running up the gut.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
We probably would have lost that game had the Cougs not Coug'd it on that fake punt, and we're probably going to get pasted by Utah next week, but 5-0 is 5-0. Now we only need one of Oregon, Oregon State, or Arizona State to go bowling and 8 wins suddenly looks like not complete madness. But now that Stanford appears to have righted itself winning back the Ax is likely a pipe dream, oh well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

Honestly I am so loving nervous about this weekend. Not only would a loss be miserable, but we would literally never hear it down.

It should be a good yardstick for OU. Good teams beat the poo poo out of us.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Joey Freshwater posted:

Somebody make it stop

If I could live through the Shula era, you can survive this. gently caress man, I was at the 2007 Louisiana-Monroe game and I've mostly recovered. You'll be ok, just keep telling yourself to be strong for BigVOLDaddy. (If you're nice, we might even let you have Kiffen back.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Quandary posted:

Hahha absolutely. Mostly because everyone agrees Texas is real bad this season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Well I think this just goes to show that screaming at Fred Taylor's kid was a good idea after all.

“I feel like he did the right thing and that’s my man, Coach Mac.” -Kelvin Taylor

yelling like a maniac is a cool and good thing as long as you don't do it constantly like Muschamp?

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

OU really should try to get pewee refs for the bedlam game. Texas QB will also personally put up 500+ yards and become a Heisman contender for a week.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ehud posted:

“I feel like he did the right thing and that’s my man, Coach Mac.” -Kelvin Taylor

yelling like a maniac is a cool and good thing as long as you don't do it constantly like Muschamp?

As long as you win. Once you lose it becomes not cool and not good. But while you are winning it is just instilling discipline.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thoguh posted:

As long as you win. Once you lose it becomes not cool and not good. But while you are winning it is just instilling discipline.

lol this is so true

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
What a loving dogshit game in every aspect. Georgia sucks. gently caress Me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Next time I'm just waiting until Monday morning when I have two monitors rather than trying to do this on a laptop. So hopefully I didn't miss any teams this time.

There are 20 undefeated teams left. Additionally, there are 8 teams that have one loss but are ranked by the AP and have enough left on their schedule that they could end up in the top 4 if they win out:
ACC: Florida State (4-0), Clemson (4-0)
Big XII: TCU (5-0), Oklahoma State (5-0), Baylor (4-0), Oklahoma (4-0)
Big Ten: Ohio State (5-0), Michigan State (5-0), Northwestern (5-0), Iowa (5-0), Michigan (4-1)
Pac-12: Cal (5-0), Utah (5-0), Stanford (4-1), USC (5-1), UCLA (4-1)
SEC: Florida (5-0), Texas A&M (5-0), LSU (4-0) , Alabama (4-1), Ole Miss (4-1), Georgia (4-1)
Other: Temple (4-0), Memphis (5-0), Navy (4-0), Houston (4-0), Toledo (4-0), Notre Dame (4-1)

28 teams left alive for the playoffs. There are some other 1 loss teams that could conceivably make a run due to having a bunch of ranked teams on their schedule. But for the sake of simplicity I'm going to assume those teams have at least one more loss coming before December and not count them.

Only three games this weekend between that group of teams:
Northwestern @ Michigan
Notre Dame @ Navy
Cal @ Utah

5 or 6 games the week after (depending on the outcome of the Notre Dame game plus losing for sure one of Michigan/Northwestern). Obviously some of these teams could lose in Week 6 and take themselves out of consideration without getting this far:
Memphis @ Ole Miss
USC @ Notre Dame
Michigan State @ Michigan
Iowa @ Northwestern
UCLA @ Stanford
Florida @ LSU
Alabama @ Texas A&M

Memphis beating Ole Miss would be the greatest thing and needs to happen.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 5, 2015

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Pook Good Mook posted:

I love how Oklahoma State is gifted a win on a silver platter by terrible BigXII officiating allowing them to stay ranked.

They lost a spot, so :shrug:

And seriously, K-State was "gifted" ALL of its touchdowns in that game by bullshit flags thrown after Kstate failed to convert 3rd and longs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

They lost a spot, so :shrug:

And seriously, K-State was "gifted" ALL of its touchdowns in that game by bullshit flags thrown after Kstate failed to convert 3rd and longs.

The call that Oklahoma State got wasn't just a bad call. Even the worst call generally at least has some level of judgement involved and at the end of the day no ref is going to overturn a judgement call after the fact. The only call in Big XII history I can think of that was equally just straight up wrong is when Kansas shot a three pointer between free throws in a game against Iowa State and the refs allowed it to stand. That call was "Snyder should have just refused to take the field until it was fixed" levels of wrong.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Why do all conferences gladly put up with horrible officiating? Or, in the SEC's case, actually promote that they believe their horrible officiating is good?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG didn't give it up against a better-than-expected Buffalo team and some really bad weather. I'll take it :toot:

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Thoguh posted:

The call that Oklahoma State got wasn't just a bad call. Even the worst call generally at least has some level of judgement involved and at the end of the day no ref is going to overturn a judgement call after the fact. The only call in Big XII history I can think of that was equally just straight up wrong is when Kansas shot a three pointer between free throws in a game against Iowa State and the refs allowed it to stand. That call was "Snyder should have just refused to take the field until it was fixed" levels of wrong.

It wasn't even a "call." It was misplaced field markers. And it didn't even decide the outcome of the game. It was a 3rd down play and K State gave up a 25 yard completion the very next snap. Why is this such an injustice?

e: Whats sad is that Mason Rudolph went 10/14 on passes on 3rd and 4th downs, all resulting in 1st down conversions. But no one will remember that, just :argh: refs!

TheWordOfTheDayIs fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 5, 2015

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
OK. OK.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This owns and gives me hope that we'll soon get an "Oregon Trail" uniform as well

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

is that jersey..... a map?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Utah gave Oregon dysentery. Can it survive until the next fort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

What am I looking at here? Cowboy, howard the duck, alien?

• Locked thread