Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Spudsly posted:

They keep saying it wasn't reviewable. Aren't all scoring plays reviewed?

The touchdown/fumble at the goal line wasn't in question, so they quickly reviewed that part and ignored Wright's bat when they went to the booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Spudsly posted:

Perhaps the most interesting thing out of this is the old official guy saying "we knew in the booth that the fail mary was wrong right after the game" which is kind of counter to the stance the NFL took afterwords.

Old referee guy owns he's like the anti- pereira/ carey

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Seahawks are going to beat down the Bengals even worse than they did the lions

'Even worse' than the mighty 3 point MOV

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spudsly posted:

No one scored.

Turnovers are also auto-reviewed, but only the turnover, not that part.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
We're getting reports now that a SECOND ball has been batted out of the end zone

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Can we talk for a second about why on earth every play isn't reviewable? How is that still a thing in 2015

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Wasn't a scoring play.

Oh crap, my head was on safety because of all this Steve Young/Ray Lewis discussion. My bad.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

adaz posted:

Can we talk for a second about why on earth every play isn't reviewable? How is that still a thing in 2015

Because bullshit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Spudsly posted:

The only penalties that can be reviewed are 12 men on the field penalties and that's only to take the flag away, iirc.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Ross Angeles posted:

No one scored.

Isn't part of the turnover recovery/not recovery and so they'd have to see how it went out of bounds?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Grozz Nuy posted:

'Even worse' than the mighty 3 point MOV

you are replying to a LWB post

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

Because bullshit

Why sure we have this new fang dangled movie picture screen we can instantly look at any play and figure out what the correct call would be and make sure not team gets a win they shouldn't have OORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dilfer is stupid. That ball wasn't headed out of bounds. It bounced up and was stopping.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

AsInHowe posted:

I really do not like pro football. See you in the college threads.

No :(

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ross Angeles posted:

No one scored.

They also can't throw a flag on review.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Dilfer is stupid. That ball wasn't headed out of bounds. It bounced up and was stopping.

Trent Dilfer: Would you call a penalty if it was going to change the outcome of the game? I wouldn't.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Spudsly posted:

wasn't a scoring play

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Rest of the season for the Lions:

-Cardinals: Carson Palmer throws for 584 yards and the NCAA reinstates USC's 2005 title. Final Cardinals 63 Lions 10
-Bears: Jimmy Claussen throws a ball that gets tipped into the air, off the safety, off the sky cam, off the head official, nothing but fullback in the end zone. Final Bears 7 Lions 0
-Vikings: Golden Tate is trying to run in for the game-winning touchdown when that motorcycle rear end in a top hat drives onto the field and runs him over, Tate ruled down by contact. Final Vikings 17 Lions 14
-Chiefs in London: Chiefs go for a game-winning field goal that looks like it'll be short, but Andy Reid unleashes a bubbles-n-squeak belch so powerful it boosts the ball up and good. Final Chiefs 19 Lions 18
-@ Packers: lmao Final Packers 103 Lions -3
-Raiders: Ameer Abdullah found stabbed to death. Final Raiders 4 Lions 3
-Eagles on Thanksgiving: Chip Kelly called a genius again having waived everyone and signed his entire Oregon team from the 2010 BCS title game, LaMichael James rushes for 258 yards and three scores. Final Eagles 35 Lions 13
-Packers: lmao Final Packers 48103 Lions tilt
-Rams: Matt Stafford abducted by pterodactyl. Final Rams win by forfeit
-Saints: Lance Moore reveals himself as a deep, deep sleeper cell and takes a short pass back for a safety. Final Saints 26 Lions 24
-49ers: That rugby dude kicks a wicked googly or something I dunno I don't know how cricket works. Final 9ers 2 Lions 0
-Bears: William Perry rises from the dead and runs in the winning score, throwing the entire Lions fanbase into his now-empty grave. Final Bears points Lions :suicide:

Lions try to draft Leonard Fournette first so they can run him into the line for 2 yard gains, told he's only a sophomore, forfeit #1 pick, Lions fans say of course why loving not.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Rooting for Trent Dilfer's CTE symptoms to start showing up any day now

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

adaz posted:

Especially stuff like forward progress. Tonight's play is such an edge case involving a penalty, but forward progress bullshit happens all the time

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Spudsly posted:

Trent Dilfer: Would you call a penalty if it was going to change the outcome of the game? I wouldn't.

hahahaha

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

nerve posted:

you are replying to a LWB post

good point, why do I bother

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

QBs with a sub 70% completion percentage are garbage, imo

Your boy is #2 in YPA, so congratulations, Philip is one of the few QBs who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the historic greats such as Andy Dalton.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Batting the ball should be legal anyway, batting the ball is hilarious

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist. 2nd best was giving Detroit the Lions.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Dean Blandino has confirmed the foul should have been called and Detroit should've been given the ball on the 1.

Man. This is pretty messed up.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

MonsterWalk posted:

Dean Blandino has confirmed the foul should have been called and Detroit should've been given the ball on the 1.

The moral of the story: If you are playing the Seahawks in Seattle on MNF, defend the south end first.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Your boy is #2 in YPA, so congratulations, Philip is one of the few QBs who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the historic greats such as Andy Dalton.

This is kind of surprising since Philip has like .03 seconds to throw the ball these days.

Also: Keenan Allen is having an amazing start to the season and no one has mentioned it because Julio Jones and Antonio Brown and AJ Green are monsters

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I feel so bad for Megatron. :(

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MonsterWalk posted:

a wise dilfer once said, "that would be dumb though... dumb as fuc!!! get outta here"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MonsterWalk posted:

That sucks. But on the other hand whatever, it's not like the Lions played so well and then had a win stolen out from under them.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

Defense needs a stop in a certain situation and gives up a big first down? Throw the review flag and ask if someone was holding.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Defense needs a stop in a certain situation and gives up a big first down? Throw the review flag and ask if someone was holding.

You can do only do that a handful of times a game before you are out of challenges. I don't really think it's that big of an issue.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

adaz posted:

You can do only do that a handful of times a game before you are out of challenges. I don't really think it's that big of an issue.

Why isn't every play reviewed like college football is the bigger question. Only allowing coaches a certain number of challenges is loving stupid and backwards

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

Rest of the season for the Lions:

-Cardinals: Carson Palmer throws for 584 yards and the NCAA reinstates USC's 2005 title. Final Cardinals 63 Lions 10
-Bears: Jimmy Claussen throws a ball that gets tipped into the air, off the safety, off the sky cam, off the head official, nothing but fullback in the end zone. Final Bears 7 Lions 0
-Vikings: Golden Tate is trying to run in for the game-winning touchdown when that motorcycle rear end in a top hat drives onto the field and runs him over, Tate ruled down by contact. Final Vikings 17 Lions 14
-Chiefs in London: Chiefs go for a game-winning field goal that looks like it'll be short, but Andy Reid unleashes a bubbles-n-squeak belch so powerful it boosts the ball up and good. Final Chiefs 19 Lions 18
-@ Packers: lmao Final Packers 103 Lions -3
-Raiders: Ameer Abdullah found stabbed to death. Final Raiders 4 Lions 3
-Eagles on Thanksgiving: Chip Kelly called a genius again having waived everyone and signed his entire Oregon team from the 2010 BCS title game, LaMichael James rushes for 258 yards and three scores. Final Eagles 35 Lions 13
-Packers: lmao Final Packers 48103 Lions tilt
-Rams: Matt Stafford abducted by pterodactyl. Final Rams win by forfeit
-Saints: Lance Moore reveals himself as a deep, deep sleeper cell and takes a short pass back for a safety. Final Saints 26 Lions 24
-49ers: That rugby dude kicks a wicked googly or something I dunno I don't know how cricket works. Final 9ers 2 Lions 0
-Bears: William Perry rises from the dead and runs in the winning score, throwing the entire Lions fanbase into his now-empty grave. Final Bears points Lions :suicide:

Lions try to draft Leonard Fournette first so they can run him into the line for 2 yard gains, told he's only a sophomore, forfeit #1 pick, Lions fans say of course why loving not.

This is my favorite post so far this season.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Yes.

Seriously though, besides "it's deeply ingrained in people", what makes the NFL entertaining? It's horribly corporate and generic, and ultimately everything is about some stupid media-driven bullshit that isn't even about the actual game.

I don't care about a league-initiated witch hunt for a star player. I don't care about a grandstanding doofus who only cares about profits but is too dumb to actually create a worthwhile product. And I especially don't care for games that come down to something stupid rather than the actual game and actual teams.

I'd much rather care about college football, where it is at least fun even when your team is bad, and it's awesome when your team is good. Even a bad college football game is fun to go to, and the variety in the teams makes everything interesting and fun. Teams and schools actually have a personality. And, when Michigan plays Michigan State in two weeks, it's most likely going to come down to the actual game on the field, instead of something stupid deciding the outcome to take all fun away.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Why isn't every play reviewed like college football is the bigger question. Only allowing coaches a certain number of challenges is loving stupid and backwards

This I can definitely get behind. I just think judgement calls are still a thing that shouldn't necessarily be reviewable.

I'd also say too many things fall under that blanket though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AsInHowe posted:

And, when Michigan plays Michigan State in two weeks, it's most likely going to come down to the actual game on the field, instead of something stupid deciding the outcome to take all fun away.

I take it you don't watch Auburn games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ross Angeles posted:

Bad for TV.

• Locked thread