Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ok, so how do I get good at MBTs ? In the past I did fine in games like WoT or War Thunder. Here I don't quite "get " the flow of the battle yet and the obvious "dos and dont's".....

I find myself in hopeless situations time after time where the best I could hope for is trade a hit for a hit and I seriously hate the tit for tat and peekaboo playing style. When I roll together with a group of pubbie MBTs I'm often the one getting singled out by the other team or I find myself in a position where I can't get a clean shot and when I try to stick to units with higher vision range to spot for me, I usually get into action too late to do much damage. I currently drive the Patton, T-62 and Leo and I do equally horrid in all 3 of them with an average 8-900 damage.

In the Swiftfire I was often in the top 3 of my team.

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

In the russian MBT just find a way to only expose your turret and you'll do quite well. I haven't really played the other ones but I assume they are far more about abusing gun depression and hills.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BadLlama posted:

In the russian MBT just find a way to only expose your turret and you'll do quite well. I haven't really played the other ones but I assume they are far more about abusing gun depression and hills.

I'm really at a loss here, because currently I feel as if I was the worst pubbie ever. I just died again with 300 damage, after thinking it would be safe to cross a hill and then ending up directly in the line of fire of a bunch of campers.

Is the game really that campy as MBT ? Because coming from the aforementioned other games I'm used to a more dynamic flow, while here everyone seems to rush to predetermined positions, before they let the RNG sort it out. As soon as I find a cozy rock to hide behind, my War Thunder instincts kick in and I want to push, which is usually rewarding in WT, but gets me killed here.

Edit: at least the Smugfire continues to be my pride and joy

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 5, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, skycancer is actually not 100% unbearable to play in this. I am very happy about this, given it means I won't have to sacrifie a ton of free xp to get the commanders you cna unlock grinding the Gvosdika and M109.

In other news, the LAV-300 is hilarious once you learn o drive wheeled vehicles well. Doing 100+ km/h drive-bys at MBTs around a corner is funny as hell and the pubbies normally don't know what the gently caress is even happening as they take a HEAT shell to the side or rear.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

-Troika- posted:

Shut up nerd. The game being easier and more accessible by not requiring people to grind as much is a good thing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The Terminator is so good. I love driving out to fight a tier 5 MBT one on one. You just sit there and aim your missiles. He gets his shot in, then you do 1500+ damage to him.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
2 pretty decent xm800t games: http://www.twitch.tv/chickenwyngz/v/19304575

First game features panzerblitz randomly showing up, sirfoch on my team, and getting TK'ed at the last second.
Second game features effing up an M60 from the rear and annoying soviet MBTs with HE.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Jack_tripper posted:

both the pve and pvp changes are bad. once upon a time in wot, if you played tier 10 tanks and were useless you lost a lot of credits. shitters whined until WG upped the payout so now you can do nothing all day long in a tier 10 and not go broke. most high tier games are a shitshow because the worst players fail their way upward and aren't penalized for being useless.

it will be the same in AW except increasing PVE payouts is just going to worsen the situation because you'll have the worst of the worst grind out high tiers by shooting bots then ruining your battle as the top tier mbt that doesn't know how to use cover or only shoots only HE

instead of lowering ammo and repair costs they should up the credit/xp rewards for spotting and doing damage

Yeah, because pubs got so much better when grinds were increased. I'll trade in your fantasy world for the fact that I don't have to score 20 wins to get a set of tracks, 20 wins for a medium turret, 35 wins for a mid-tier gun, 40 wins for another turret, and 65 wins for the top tier gun so I can grind out 80 more wins for engines and 100+ more wins for the next tank, meanwhile getting poo poo on by the xp system because Garbad is the only good player on my team and got artied 25 seconds into the match again.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Haha, welp. Turns out the wheels on wheeled TDs can act as spaced armor. Just had a pubbie in a Sheridan bitch at me for half a match after he managed to land a zero damage 152mm HEAT shell into my wheels and then got torn up before he could reload. :allears:

The wheeled TDs are seriously growing on me. The Dragoon 300-90 and LAV-300 at least are just that kind of hilarious rear end in a top hat-mobile that combines a hella accurate and fast-aiming gun with a ridiculously fast plattform.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 6, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ChickenWyngz posted:

2 pretty decent xm800t games: http://www.twitch.tv/chickenwyngz/v/19304575

First game features panzerblitz randomly showing up, sirfoch on my team, and getting TK'ed at the last second.
Second game features effing up an M60 from the rear and annoying soviet MBTs with HE.

I get a kind of social tunnel vision in these games at times, I didn't even notice I had company.

bigcracker
Jan 18, 2012
Can I get a invite for NA? Name bigcracker

Edit: Got a invite Thank you.

bigcracker fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 6, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WoT.jpeg

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Great, this fucker is still around.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

Great, this fucker is still around.

Yeah, kinda :ohdear:'d IRL when I saw the post :(

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I don't agree with him that fire extinguishers are not needed on tanks. I have gotten so many fires that I do think chances of fires are worse in AW compared to WoT, with the auto version saving my rear end many times

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Stevefin posted:

I don't agree with him that fire extinguishers are not needed on tanks. I have gotten so many fires that I do think chances of fires are worse in AW compared to WoT, with the auto version saving my rear end many times

I've actually been playing with the idea of running Ioannis Sanna in Arty and seeing how much module/fire/crew havoc one can lay down.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So are light tanks the mediums of WoT, with the recon/fire support vehicles being light tanks?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Stevefin posted:

I've played 90 battles and been set on fire twice. I still buy the extinguisher out of habit from wot.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PenguinScotty posted:

I've actually been playing with the idea of running Ioannis Sanna in Arty and seeing how much module/fire/crew havoc one can lay down.

Same idea here. And as chance wills it, I just unlocked the gentleman and will be playing the Gvosdika a lot tomorrow. Just to further stack the odds, I also picked the loader skill that increases module damage.

So, experience report on that in a day or two.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Magni posted:

Same idea here. And as chance wills it, I just unlocked the gentleman and will be playing the Gvosdika a lot tomorrow. Just to further stack the odds, I also picked the loader skill that increases module damage.

So, experience report on that in a day or two.

Awesome, yeah, please let us know. Since i spent so much time just going down the T line, i'm behind on the other ones.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Jack_tripper posted:

both the pve and pvp changes are bad. once upon a time in wot, if you played tier 10 tanks and were useless you lost a lot of credits. shitters whined until WG upped the payout so now you can do nothing all day long in a tier 10 and not go broke. most high tier games are a shitshow because the worst players fail their way upward and aren't penalized for being useless.

it will be the same in AW except increasing PVE payouts is just going to worsen the situation because you'll have the worst of the worst grind out high tiers by shooting bots then ruining your battle as the top tier mbt that doesn't know how to use cover or only shoots only HE

instead of lowering ammo and repair costs they should up the credit/xp rewards for spotting and doing damage

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

I'm really at a loss here, because currently I feel as if I was the worst pubbie ever. I just died again with 300 damage, after thinking it would be safe to cross a hill and then ending up directly in the line of fire of a bunch of campers.

Is the game really that campy as MBT ? Because coming from the aforementioned other games I'm used to a more dynamic flow, while here everyone seems to rush to predetermined positions, before they let the RNG sort it out. As soon as I find a cozy rock to hide behind, my War Thunder instincts kick in and I want to push, which is usually rewarding in WT, but gets me killed here.

It's mostly problem at lower tiers when MBTs don't yet have armor to spearhead a push without getting blown to pieces. At tier 6+ you will start to see that MBTs can actually lead an attack while softer tanks follow behind providing fire support, and the game will change to be much less campy. Of course some pubbies will always camp behind their safety rock no matter what they are driving.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Damathacus posted:

It's mostly problem at lower tiers when MBTs don't yet have armor to spearhead a push without getting blown to pieces. At tier 6+ you will start to see that MBTs can actually lead an attack while softer tanks follow behind providing fire support, and the game will change to be much less campy. Of course some pubbies will always camp behind their safety rock no matter what they are driving.

I agree with this, as until tier 6 you really are playing world war 2 medium tanks, or experiments into active defensive systems pre MBT, At tier 6 you really do start to see what we consider a MBT show up with force

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Am I right in assuming that gold and premium time is shared across servers? Because if so, you should all connect to the server you don't intend to play on, and build up the Recon Post there and then buy any premium time there as well.

Edit: drat, knew it was too good to be true.
VVVVVV

Valle fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 6, 2015

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

Valle posted:

Am I right in assuming that gold and premium time is shared across servers? Because if so, you should all connect to the server you don't intend to play on, and build up the Recon Post there and then buy any premium time there as well.

They are not shared, you just get your founder's pack stuff on both servers but any further premium time or gold will be on that server only.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
So turns out I am bad at this tank game. The Fox how ever is tons of fun to drive around in, and with how you guys are talking about wheeled tds i might give them a try to.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I really don't understand why they didn't just make it so there's one global server for progression stuff and separate for the game part.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Wheeled TDs own. Go fast, good camo, great accuracy, good DPM. Who needs armor?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

I really don't understand why they didn't just make it so there's one global server for progression stuff and separate for the game part.

I'll just guess it probably has something to do with legality and not having to follow EU laws for everyone.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

I'll just guess it probably has something to do with legality and not having to follow EU laws for everyone.

War Thunder has global progression and gives no fucks. The servers just determine your ping, and you can hop from one to the other with a checkbox.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Half the games are great fun, the other half it's me and my :ramsay: up against 60%+ Tier 6/7 guys that negate the one advantage I have :negative:

Previous tier differences aren't half as clear, but at tier 6 everything seems to get absurd amount of armor to go with great damage/pen guns.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, because pubs got so much better when grinds were increased. I'll trade in your fantasy world for the fact that I don't have to score 20 wins to get a set of tracks, 20 wins for a medium turret, 35 wins for a mid-tier gun, 40 wins for another turret, and 65 wins for the top tier gun so I can grind out 80 more wins for engines and 100+ more wins for the next tank, meanwhile getting poo poo on by the xp system because Garbad is the only good player on my team and got artied 25 seconds into the match again.

This is the most compelling reason to play AW.

The game will never be as competitive as World of Tanks. I'm fine with that. I still like World of Tanks quite a bit more than AW. I'm fine with that, too. I will never turn chat on in AW, ever, and I may actually come to find it relaxing. I already know that the playerbase consists of people that couldn't handle World of Tanks; I'm not expecting genius gameplay from my team. But right now, it's something different that lets me keep WOT in perspective. War Thunder couldn't do that because it's so different than WOT. AW, on the other hand, is...pretty much exactly like world of tanks without garage nonsense and ridiculous upgrade costs.

Actually I must admit the tank upgrade system in AW is very well done. In World of Tanks, it's so tedious that anymore I never grind modules at all; I unlock a tank and don't play it until I've put the top gear on it. Once you have like 100 tanks in your garage...why would you play a gimped one?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

To me AW has a far superior quality of life than WoT and the BMP/BMD tanks are legitimately fun as poo poo more so than any vehicle in WoT. With that said, when it comes down to it, WoT is the better tank game mechanically speaking but I am really enjoying AW and will try to actively play both.

Dramicus posted:

War Thunder has global progression and gives no fucks. The servers just determine your ping, and you can hop from one to the other with a checkbox.

I'd be down for AW to do this then, so in 6 months I'm not stuck on the NA server with 1/5 the population.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
After finally having tried out artillery, I can say I much prefer the AW implementation to WoT. Arty as a relatively fast firing suppression weapon is much better than rng doom cannons.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
But world of tanks' competitive balance is garbage, and saying that the population of this game is people who "couldn't handle world of tanks" is pretty stupid. The population is pretty largely people who used to like world of tanks and want a game like it but not designed by insane funhating morons looking to make as much money ripping off idiots as possible.. That's the category I fall under. It's also an extra funny attitude to have since quite a few players from the major 'good' clans in WoT are, if not permanently switching because there's no clan focused gameplay yet, definitely out and about in game and I'd say the average level of player skill right now is significantly higher than the average world of tanks match, although this is definitely a side effect of still having to pay to play the game until thursday.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

John MLG demands to know where are the esports in Armored Warfare

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Who cares what the skill level of players is, just shoot tanks and have fun. This game doesn't punish you for losing since you still make decent exp and credits on a loss, so it doesn't matter if your team is poo poo. If you find yourself getting angry at pubbies on your team for being 'shitters' maybe you should try playing dota?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I only play this game so I can experience what my Wargame units do when I order them to their deaths :v:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

This game doesn't punish you for losing since you still make decent exp and credits on a loss, so it doesn't matter if your team is poo poo.

This is true unless that game is your daily double. gently caress the team if the entire teams damage together doesn't add up to your they should be chastised.

I do enjoy their reward system outside of the daily doubles and losing when you play well still gives you tons of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

This is true unless that game is your daily double. gently caress the team if the entire teams damage together doesn't add up to your they should be chastised.

I do enjoy their reward system outside of the daily doubles and losing when you play well still gives you tons of poo poo.

Just play your doubles on PVE much more ability to guarantee a 2600+ game easily, sure you might occasionally hit 5k rep on PVP but those games are far less common than high pve wins.

• Locked thread