Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Murphy Brownback posted:

The right side is (typically) for standing the left side is for walking it's not complicated.

this would work but americans are so fat they take up both sides and spill over the rails a bit

Applewhite posted:

In the south they have chairs in elevators.

theory confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
In some places in Japan they have weird little thin escalators and if you walk on them a sensor beeps to try and make you stop and I think if you walk too much on them the whole escalator just stops.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I saw a sign someplace telling you explicitly not to walk on it recently , I can't remember where though.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

oh i forgot. when i go up stairs i usually go up two at a time and once i did this on an escalator and totally tripped over in front of everyone. but no one was looking and no one laughed probably because they were embarassed for me and also becuase they were too busy running away like indiana jones

editL i now take dainty little steps one at a time

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
falling on one would probably hurt more than normal stairs

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
escalators are scary and unpredictable.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ChairmanMeow posted:

escalators are scary and unpredictable.

Someone post the video of the Chinese woman getting chewed up by the escalator.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Technology is scary.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

escalators... so hosed up. metal stairs with teeth and they move? jesus. jesus. who makes these things?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i just deja vu'd so hard i sent myself flying back two months, ama about december 2015

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Mandator posted:

i'm not trying to defend the south or obesity, but has anyone been late because they had to wait an extra 20 seconds to get up an escalator?

the poo poo moves for you. you're going to get to your destination

Same thing can be said about cars and pedestrians. They'll get there faster than the person walking, but god drat are they upset about it.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
when i was relearning how to walk my nurse went on an escalator i and had to follow her like a retarded duckling and it was p terrifying

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I hate escalators and I always walk on them because I want to be off and on my way asap.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Have you ever tried to go up an escalator in a klan robe?

The Imperial Wizard has cut the budget for robe repairs so it's best just to stand still until you get off the escalator.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

She saved her kid though :smith:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Itt we defend backwards rear end poo poo the south does

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Murphy Brownback posted:

The right side is (typically) for standing the left side is for walking it's not complicated.

this is the south we're talking about

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
In the south we wear pants on our head by the grace of God

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
even if you walk up an escalator its slower than running up normal stairs and somehow feels less safe. escalators suck

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i hit my knee on one of the step edges once, hurt like gently caress. escalators are extremely fantastic at being useless and bad

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

EngineerSean posted:

She saved her kid though :smith:

I never actually saw the video. Didn't know there was a kid.
Jesus.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Jesus.

The best part are the two mall employees watching it happen while doing nothing to save them. kan re nao.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The only place I really see escalators is in an airport and there they always have plain old stairs next to them so if I'm in a hurry I just use the stairs. Moving pathways are funny because when you're walking at a brisk pace you pass all the fatties standing still on them, it'd be nice if you could use it to go faster like they intended but such is life.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
people that stand on moving walkways are the loving worst and rightfully deserve their diabetes

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
The worst offense is blocking the path on the motorized walkways at the airport. I am pretty sure those are made so people can get from one place to the other quicker and not for your fat rear end to rest on after spending hours sitting on a plane. No one could possibly be in a hurry at an airport!

Obligatory Handle fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 6, 2015

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Chinatown posted:

people that stand on moving walkways are the loving worst and rightfully deserve their diabetes

I can't find that page of Herr Starr on the "moving loving standway" so pretend I posted that.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you just want to stand there and go up and think "Huh, these stairs are moving!" and sometimes you want to get there faster than either normal stairs or standing-still moving stairs and either way is okay.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Mandator posted:

i'll walk if the path is clear, but i don't start seething with rage when somebody is standing still

It's built like a staircase so walking makes sense. If you want to stand move to the right. (or left I would assume in Europe)
Not a big deal.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 6, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you lack the physical coordination to negotiate an escalator just loving lol

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Chinatown posted:

yeah this is a whole different issue though. like i walk up escalators but i understand if you dont want to. but the purpose of moving walkways is to accelerate walking not save energy

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

djwetmouse posted:

It's built like a staircase so walking makes sense. If you want to stand move to the right. (or left I would assume in Europe)
Not a big deal.

Are you one of those people who thinks they drive on the left side in every European country?

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Obligatory Handle posted:

Are you one of those people who thinks they drive on the left side in every European country?

Sorry I didn't list out the countries that drive on the left individually.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the best part of moving walkways is when you are walking at the end of the conveyor and you feel your body decelerate once you step on the floor it's a funny feeling and it last for a split second but i always appreciate it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

djwetmouse posted:

they actually do stand on the right and pass on the left in the uk too because it turns out driving on the left is for goddamned morons

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

zanaver posted:

this reminds me of the moving walkways in airports that are useless since they are congested by a bunch of people that are in the way
these people will burn in hell

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

djwetmouse posted:

Please do this in the future.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
jokes on you op they don't even have escalators in the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Jesus.

while you're not looking this up, don't look up the video of the bouncy castle that gets blown away

• Locked thread