Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CherryCat posted:

Actually Scotland has charged for bags since last year, people still attempt to complain about it but tend to shut up when you tell them the bag charge goes to charity. For the most part people remember to bring their own reusable bags so it's not too much trouble.

We have a policy that small bags for loose fruit and veg are free as long as nothing prepacked is put in them, some folk get very annoyed when you tell them you'll have to charge them for the 20 they've shoved in the bottom of their basket to try and take with them.

There are also the customers who are convinced that the shops own brand reusable bags have gotten smaller and will insist we're ripping them off despite the fact they're only a penny more than regular carriers, they're not smaller, they haven't changed in the three years I've been there.

On this note, I absolutely despise people who don't use the small fruit and veg bags, or who combine different fruits and vegetables in the same bag. There is nothing more annoying than having to transfer a dozen muddy, dirt crusted potatoes from the conveyor belt to the scales because some fuckwit wants to save a bag. Not to mention the dirt going everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

The Lord Bude posted:

On this note, I absolutely despise people who don't use the small fruit and veg bags, or who combine different fruits and vegetables in the same bag. There is nothing more annoying than having to transfer a dozen muddy, dirt crusted potatoes from the conveyor belt to the scales because some fuckwit wants to save a bag. Not to mention the dirt going everywhere.

Am I being a dick if I put multiple colors of bell peppers in the same bag? It seems wasteful to use three separate bags for a green, red, and yellow pepper if I can put them all in the same one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Am I being a dick if I put multiple colors of bell peppers in the same bag? It seems wasteful to use three separate bags for a green, red, and yellow pepper if I can put them all in the same one.

If I have to take each one out of the bag, to weigh it separately, then yes. Most of the time each colour is a different price, but even when its not, it is still a different product and the computer system is relying on me accurately ringing up the items being sold, so that it can automatically order the correct amount of a product based on what is being sold - there is very little manual stock management in my company, the computer pretty much handles everything. If I just ring up everyone's peppers as red peppers, soon the computer will think we have -15kg of red peppers and order a ton of them, meanwhile, it will think we still have a shitheap of green peppers, so it won't order any - then we run out. If your store sells 'assorted peppers' and their inventory system treats them as a single item, then go hog wild.

You cannot 'waste' bags. They exist to be used. If you feel bad about the environment, reuse them for something (seriously, I laugh at people who refuse plastic shopping bags, but buy bin liners) or recycle them. Also - they call them barrier bags for a reason. Statistics in Australia show a direct correlation between reluctance to use plastic bags (both for produce, and with respect to reusable shopping bags for groceries, which most people never bother washing, till eventually they stink worse than a hobo) and illness. Conveyor belts are filthy. They get cleaned at close of trade, or when I'm bored and there are no customers. They are covered in dried blood from leaky meat, and god knows what else. My hands which touch money all day long are filthy. Putting your produce in bags is good hygiene practice. Using disposable shopping bags is good hygiene practice - if you do want to use reusable bags, pick ones made from hemp or cotton or something first of all, since a fuckton of plastic goes into the synthetic ones and they aren't designed to biodegrade like regular bags - and secondly, throw them in the washing machine on a semi regular basis. Toss them when they start to fall apart.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Faerunner posted:

I got to be That Customer (well, 1/2 of That Couple, really) the other night, yaaaay. Literally took a full cart through the express checkouts (only two open at midnight), managed to get the slow cashier, and had my card decline at the end. LOLOL the people behind us almost exploded.

We paid with another card and left as fast as we could.

Should have paid with a check

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

That depends. Are you just putting them in a bag, and leaving the bag open? If so, its slightly annoying, but not dickish. If you've got a half dozen in a bag sealed so tight that it looks like your were trying to vacuum seal it with your bare hands? If this is the case, yes it is dickish.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Today's been the fourth week in a row that I've worked with just me and a manager. It loving blows and I'm sick of it and I hate running the register but they refuse to hire more people even though there's only 7 of us :smithicide:

Also the chip readers for cards are making my already highly moronic customers way, way worse. What's even worse is that our company's system doesn't work with this one type of card that everyone in the area uses, so now I get a whole bunch of "but it works elsewhere!"

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Maybe someone in here will know because they work retail.

Amex sent me one of the new chip cards and only at places like CVS/Walgreens it won't let me swipe and will only allow me to do it via chip. What's up with this?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They probably get better transaction rates with their end of the merchant services if they use the chip and pin. Same way credit/debit cards default to debit when swiped some places.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
The new credit cards with a chip in them are amazing litmus tests in customer stupidity. Customer slides card, new pinpads beep and say to insert chip card. I tell the customer to insert the chip end of the card in the machine, while pointing at the exact opening, and to leave it there until the register is done processing it. So the customer looks at me confused, asks why the card won't just swipe. I say because chips are the new way of paying and retailers are using it. They get visibly annoyed and jam the card in random places until finally hitting the slot. Oops, wrong end. I tell them to turn it. Correct end is inserted, but they immediately take it out, despite the me saying and the pinpad displaying "PROCESSING, DO NOT REMOVE CARD". They then get angry because the payment failed. They put it back it, hold it there, pin pad changes to "AUTHORIZING, DO NOT REMOVE CARD". Take a wild guess what gets ignored. They insert it again, and when all is done and the pinpad displays "PAYMENT COMPLETE, PLEASE REMOVE CARD" I get "so can I take out my card yet?

Jesus Christ.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The new credit cards with a chip in them are amazing litmus tests in customer stupidity. Customer slides card, new pinpads beep and say to insert chip card. I tell the customer to insert the chip end of the card in the machine, while pointing at the exact opening, and to leave it there until the register is done processing it. So the customer looks at me confused, asks why the card won't just swipe. I say because chips are the new way of paying and retailers are using it. They get visibly annoyed and jam the card in random places until finally hitting the slot. Oops, wrong end. I tell them to turn it. Correct end is inserted, but they immediately take it out, despite the me saying and the pinpad displaying "PROCESSING, DO NOT REMOVE CARD". They then get angry because the payment failed. They put it back it, hold it there, pin pad changes to "AUTHORIZING, DO NOT REMOVE CARD". Take a wild guess what gets ignored. They insert it again, and when all is done and the pinpad displays "PAYMENT COMPLETE, PLEASE REMOVE CARD" I get "so can I take out my card yet?

Jesus Christ.

Yeah i've seen people do this before me. I just automatically swipe first but I am a person who stares at the screen until it says payment approved so I always see when it says to insert for chip. I was just confused because I didn't realize why some readers require it but others don't. Someone else said they may have just not enabled it yet which also makes sense.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tap is the big thing here now but we haven't upgraded our machines yet because that poo poo is expensive. It's hilarious watching someone try to tap their card against a device that clearly does not have the gigantic tap symbol on it, then act all confused saying "You don't have tap?!?" then get annoyed that they have to use their pin instead. This happens several times an hour. Sometimes they just keep trying to tap it because they're just not cluing in at all.

The store I usually work in is a small building, with a conjoined concessions shop next door. It serves it's customers through a window, with a big orange sign for a menu on the wall beside the window. There is a Starbucks sign above the window, because they make the Starbucks instant coffee there. We are currently in off season, so the concessions is currently closed until next May. We just don't have the amount of staff to run it and the main cafes. There is a huge red and white "WE ARE CLOSED" sign in the window, next to the menu and under the Starbucks sign. Every day, usually every hour or more, someone comes into the gift shop "Where's the Starbucks?!?" "Sorry, it's closed. "Well when does it open?" "It's shut down for winter, sorry. You'd have to go to the main cafe down the path for coffee." "WELL THAT'S ANNOYING I JUST WALKED PAST IT I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK THERE."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Amex sent me one of the new chip cards and only at places like CVS/Walgreens it won't let me swipe and will only allow me to do it via chip. What's up with this?

The stripe tells the POS it has a chip, and that the chip should be used if possible because it's waaaayyyyyy more secure.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675514&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 if you want some reading.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I don't know if it's the same in the states but in Australia if your card has a chip, the terminal recognises that fact and won't allow it to be swiped. The magnetic strip is there as a legacy fallback for old terminals. It isn't a secure way of processing transactions and it shouldn't be used.

The whole point of having the chip is to eliminate old, insecure ways of processing transactions. In Australia, you can no longer use signatures at all on cards issued domestically.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So today I had a customer give poo poo to another customer who was elderly, didn't remember the pin to her new card and was fumbling around with her purse to get another method of payment. A second customer told the guy to leave the elderly lady alone where he loudly yells "OUR CONVERSATION IS OVER, I WANT A MANAGER DOWN HERE NOW THIS CUSTOMER IS PISSING ME OFF!". I'm not sure what went down after that cause he stopped shouting when the manager showed up but man, way to make yourself look like a complete rear end in a top hat while bullying AN ELDERLY PERSON

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
When the pin thing became a required thing in Finland people got really mad for some reason. Once a dude started yelling at me: "I DON'T WANT TO LEARN TO USE THAT loving THING! YOU USE IT! THE PIN NUMBER IS 1234! THIS IS poo poo AND YOU'RE A PIECE OF poo poo."

Ok dude.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
There has been a woman coming into our store recently who isn't all there. She's probably in her 50's, with long scraggly red hair and smeared lipstick, and she makes no secret of telling anyone who will listen that she's an undercover government agent.

Also an old woman that comes up to me and says "I never wanted to be a Hollywood movie star" at random times.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

At my store we have the machines that are capable of doing the chip payment, but our system hasn't been upgraded yet so it doesn't actually do anything yet.

So sometimes out of the corner of my eye I'll see a person pull out a card, so I'll hit the 'card' button and continue scanning, and when I'm done usually it automatically finishes up and spits out the receipt. But then when it doesn't I actually look over at the pin pad to see the dumb card sticking out of the bottom and the customer staring at it, probably ignoring the words on the screen telling them to SWIPE.

Most of the time when I tell them we don't have it yet they go "GOOD I loving HATE THAT poo poo!" and swipe, but that just brings up more questions.

Also, I didn't even know it was a thing before I started working retail and I was really loving confused the first time someone stuck their card under the pin pad.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The number of people who are willing to step out in front of a moving forklift between it and my spotter so I'm forced to slam on brakes so they can ask me where something is, instead of asking literally anyone else and not putting themselves in a very dangerous place is loving incredible.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

The number of people who are willing to step out in front of a moving forklift between it and my spotter so I'm forced to slam on brakes so they can ask me where something is, instead of asking literally anyone else and not putting themselves in a very dangerous place is loving incredible.

The number of people that will walk right in front of and behind me while I am scrubbing the floors is mind boggling. And the people that just stop to stare at something on the shelf like they are observing a loving painting while I wait for them to move so I can finish my job of scrubbing the floor. It's a loving box of cereal, there is no reason you have to stand there for three minutes with a look of complete concentration to decide if you want it or not.

Also, when you drop food on the ground, notice me, then look back it like you're not sure if you are going to pick it up or not, then look back at me to see if I'm still staring at you the answer is yes, you are a piece of poo poo and should pick up after yourself but I already know you won't.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
The janitor at the factory I now work at is ALWAYS mopping the floor in the break room on our lunch break. After a couple days of carefully skirting the room, grabbing my food, and leaving, I decided to stop giving a gently caress. Mop somewhere else buddy, I have business with the microwave.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Dipshit came in to use Western Union, was too dumb to figure out the rather simple interface and kept screaming "gently caress YOU WESTERN UNION" at the machine.

At the end, the transaction wouldn't go through because the loving nimrod made up a fake phone number on the spot in the kiosk so he couldn't enter his phone number at the end. I have never laughed so hard at someone storming out.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Jesus Christ.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
creepy dude keeps coming in an hour before close and i keep being the only dude on shift when he does. 3 girls in the restaurant all except one of which are like five feet tall. ive had to make friends with him just so that I can be reasonably sure he won't like create some insane rape dungeon the moment I leave the store. just called to make sure no bad poo poo was happening but drat gotta think of a way to get rid of this dude. maybe i'll poo poo on him

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

klapman posted:

creepy dude keeps coming in an hour before close and i keep being the only dude on shift when he does. 3 girls in the restaurant all except one of which are like five feet tall. ive had to make friends with him just so that I can be reasonably sure he won't like create some insane rape dungeon the moment I leave the store. just called to make sure no bad poo poo was happening but drat gotta think of a way to get rid of this dude. maybe i'll poo poo on him

Start hitting on him.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Yeah i've seen people do this before me. I just automatically swipe first but I am a person who stares at the screen until it says payment approved so I always see when it says to insert for chip. I was just confused because I didn't realize why some readers require it but others don't. Someone else said they may have just not enabled it yet which also makes sense.

At this point I give people some slack because it's still kind of an unknown. For some reason our machines only accept the chip when it's a credit card; debit cards still require swiping. Once we've gotten to the point where a large number of retailers have it and all the chip cards are working as adverteised, I'll start making more fun of the people who are like 'the gently caress is chip how am do this?'.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah the first time I encountered a functioning chip reader I stuck the card in and then pulled it out immediately like you would for a magstripe. Not my finest moment. I'm therefore not judging people on their reactions to the chip thing for a few months... let the dust settle and then we can make fun of the ones who still don't get it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've done it twice myself at bank ATM's. So yeah, it'll take some getting used to.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
A lovely lady came in today, pretty blatantly trying to scam us out of a couple of bucks. She comes to the counter with ten tubes of toothpaste, each on sale for under a dollar. She also has a stack of coupons for them, 1.50 off. As soon as I realize this I call the manager and am informed that we can give the toothpaste to her for free, but not give her credit towards the rest of her purchase for the coupons. The moment I inform the customer of this she demands to speak with my manager, the exact same woman I just got off the phone with, so she could get money off the rest of her purchases. Thankfully she wasn't willing to push the point, and, as if just to prove that she was trying to scam us, declared that she wasn't going to get any toothpaste, despite the coupons making them, you know, free.

Also, it kind of ticks me off when customers don't understand that when I say I need to scan each item separately, I really do mean I need to. Its as if they think that I want to scan every one of their dozens of cans of soup one by one. Store policy is to scan them individually, so since I don't want to get fired, that is what I will do. No I can't call somebody to get an override, a new policy/system thing makes that impossible. Yes sir, go ahead and keep packing your bread instead of taking three seconds putting anything more on the conveyor because the policy is annoying, I'm sure the four or five people who are waiting for me to finish your order admire you for making their waits longer in protest.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Customers today have been a nightmare. I don't know what's going on. Today's favorite:

Customer comes in and has eleven different color chips. Originally asks for a quart -- she balks when I quote her a price of $10 each. Ok, fine. Best I can do then is samples that are a third of the size for $3, so she says sure.

To explain something here: paint bases come in either 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or A, B, C depending on the brand/paint. (Also White/Deep/Ultra Deep, sometimes). The higher the number/letter, the less white paint there is in the can, but the same amount of the other chemicals that makes paint work. The darker/richer the color, the deeper the base. For example, white would be A, grays would be B, black would be C. Base A color could be put in Base C by adding a lot of extra white, but Base C can't be put in Base A/B, because there physically isn't room in the can for it.

Naturally, this customer wanted all really vibrant colors. These would all require Base C. No problem, except we normally don't keep that much Base C on hand and that applied here, too. We only had nine, she wanted eleven. I explain to her that we simply don't have the bases in stock and ask her to choose which two colors I skip. She happily chooses two and I start setting up the others. Notably, doing samples sucks poo poo because they are really time consuming compared to other cans, but besides the point. It's early in the morning (and I don't have anything else to do) so I don't mind.

However, after about three or four, she starts to sperg out. She looks around and spots different sample containers, pre-mixed colors. "Can't you tint these?"

"No," I explain. "Those are already tinted. I can't tint them to a deeper color, they're full."

"Um," she starts. "You're telling me these can't be tinted?"

"Right. Those are already tinted."

"I'm an artist," she tells me. "You can't tell me you can't tint these."

"Oh. Okay." I shrugged. "I can't tint those. Sorry." I'm not sure what her point was -- the only thing I can figure out is that she thought I was, I guess, lying, and by claiming to be an artist I wuld realize I can't pull one over on her? I wasn't, to begin with.

"Why?" she demanded, because in all her wisdom by looking at the container for under a minute I obviously must be wrong.

"Those are already tinted and the container is too full. I can't add more color to them." To prove it, I walked over and showed her an empty Base C can and one of the pre-tinted cans. As expected, the Base C was about a third empty.

She rolled her eyes and walked off, so I started finishing up. But she wasn't done, oh hell no. "Why can't you use those behind the desk?"

"Those are Base A and Base B. I cannot tint those to a Base C color. It won't fit."

She reached over the walls of the desk to grab at the other bases -- we have a ton of Base A because it's the most popular. Lighter colors sell far faster than darker colors. She starts looking at them, determines that I must just be a dipshit that is wrong, then walks around to the front of the desk, places the Base A can down, puts the color she wants on top, and announces "mix it in this, thanks."

I look at it, then explain again. "Okay. This is Base A. As I explained, I can't put this color in it."

She throws her hands up, sighing. "Why? What happens if you do?"

"It will almost certainly overflow and spill all over my desk. If it didn't, the can would be completely full and wouldn't mix well. And even if all of that worked, it would still be several shades lighter."

"Oh, my God," she says, crossing her arms. "Why are you so difficult?"

I can't help it at this point, chuckling and shrugging. "Sorry, I didn't design it this way. There's nothing I can do."

She took the nine I could mix and stomped off, of course to complain to a manager, who promptly didn't give a poo poo the moment she verified with me I was out of the correct base.

gently caress "artists". Last I checked you don't use hardware store water based wall paint samples to do artistic painting, but I guess I don't really know.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Customers today have been a nightmare. I don't know what's going on. Today's favorite:

This honestly sounds kind of complicated the way you typed it out. So am I imagining this right, saying you can't add Base C to Base A/B is because there's just more paint volume in those two compared to C? Or are the volumes all uniform, just that C has less "stuff" floating around in it so you could jam a bit more color material into it and bump it up to A/B? If it's the former, what's stopping the business from just altering the ratios so that it is possible to add more paint to each container? If the latter, then I can sort of understand why she wasn't getting you since all you said to her asking why was basically "because it wouldn't" (based off of your post).

Also idk, maybe she was going to paint a mural outside or something. It's kinda snobbish to scoff at using the "wrong" kind of paint for art (lovely customers notwithstanding).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What he is saying is that the bases come prepped in different grades based on what sort of shade you are aiming for. A can of paint, regardless of color, will contain a certain amount of active ingredients like emulsifiers and the medium itself. To completely make this up, a gallon might always have a pint of these agents as part of its composition - the rest will be actual pigments. Depending on the grade, they also come with a certain amount of white pigment pre-added; A has a lot, down through D or E with very little. The paint mixer supplies its pigments in base shades, and so you have to select the correct base to get the correct shade. IE, if you want a pink paint, you take the grade A base (that is 1 pint paint additives and 6 pints white) and add 1 pint or red. If you want crimson, you take the grade D base (1 pint additives, 2 pints white) and add 5 pints of red pigment.

If you don't have a grade D base, there is no way for you to make crimson. You can't just pour more red into the grade A, because you would need to add 15 pints of red to get the right ratio, which is trying to put 3 gallons of paint into a 1 gallon can. You also can't just dump out a bunch of the grade A to 'make space' for red, because you would also be dumping out a proportional amount of the necessary pre-mixed additives that make the paint work properly. So you might get the color you want, but the flow/consistency/etc would be poo poo.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Ashcans explained it more concise than I ever could. To expand, though, the reason why we don't use one base for everything is because then there are two options:

A) Everything is Base A, meaning we can only make white and very light colors.

B) Everything would be Base C, meaning it's not possible to use it without tinting it. And then, in order to sell white or light color paint, we'd need to fill every single can we sell with 15-20 ounces of white tint. Not only is this far more time consuming for the employee, therefore reducing productivity while increasing customer wait time, but it also is wildly expensive for the store because we buy the tint. It would severely cut the profit margin on paint to the point that we would either lose money on every can, or need to increase the prices significantly for everything.

Therefore, there's a set of rules that all paint companies abide by, which is you give us different bases to tint at different levels. That way, you can still get your dark colors, but we don't need to spend a lot of money to make white/light colors, which are far more popular. Everyone wins (unless you want 11 samples of Base C colors, I guess).

pandaK posted:

If the latter, then I can sort of understand why she wasn't getting you since all you said to her asking why was basically "because it wouldn't" (based off of your post).

I don't think that I did that, though. When she asked why I can't take a pre-mixed sample and turn it into a dark color, I showed her that the Base C is far, far more empty.

I actually think tinting paint is pretty cool (though customers and the other duties of my job make me hate it), so I would be beyond happy to explain to someone why certain things work and others don't -- but she wasn't interested in that. She thought I was lying to her for who knows what reason, and was determined to prove me wrong, hence her grabbing a Base A from behind my desk and trying to "trick" me into using it by just telling me to "tint it", as if I wouldn't check.

As for being snobbish, that isn't my point. What I was trying to say was I don't believe she was an artist at all, and was, again, trying to use that to "catch" me. She thought by saying she was an artist she would call my bluff (which I wasn't making) and backtrack. The context she used it in doesn't make sense unless that's what she was doing.

I legitimately don't think you can really use this kind of paint for anything artistic, though. It's loose and meant to spread everywhere, because it's high-coverage wall paint. It doesn't work well when you try to get fancy with it. But again, I'm also not an artist, so I don't really know.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I figured out who AbrahamLincolnLog's customer was: [link]

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like how asking a co-worker if they can please not leave work 30 minutes early today so they can assist me because I am only scheduled for 5 hours and 45 minutes is a crime so large that they had to tell me off even after I said I did not intend any offense like 3 times. If anything I should be telling them off because I am in the middle of a 7 day work week and I CANT leave early because I am closing by myself EVERY loving DAY.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 10, 2015

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
All week, we've been working on a massive event that our tiny mall store is providing nearly 400 tuxedos for. Since Tuesday, I've been checking them in, sending them out, and condensing/reorganizing racks as space cleared. This weekend, they all come back, and I get to break them down into component parts for laundering, and send the dull bags of parts off to the cleaners.

A tuxedo, including shoes which ours do, is between fifteen and thirty pounds. A full bag of jackets is easily over fifty, and one of shoes takes two people to lift. I'm in the store alone tomorrow night and most of Sunday. Sunday makes a six day workweek, and my arms and shoulders already hurt. :(

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Why are six and seven day work weeks legal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Man Whore posted:

Now provided it technically isn't a 6-7 day work week, but my second job was with a merchandising company who would give you sunday and monday off, then you would work tuesday to saturday, then work the following sunday al the way to thursday. So you'd work 10 days in a row and not get a dime of overtime for it

Funnily enough this company got sued for not paying it's California workers :v:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

My place does another fun thing: the "week" starts on Saturday. So you guessed it, totally possible to schedule someone, off Saturday/Sunday, on Monday to next Wednesday, then Thurs/Fri off meaning ten days in a row and no overtime for it because technically you don't work "more than five days" in a week!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
My store does that ten days in a row poo poo way too often. I actually dread having a weekend off because it means I'm at risk for the damned ten-day-week. I much prefer having, say, Wednesday and Thursday off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Man Whore posted:

Why not, if you're full-time? Rake in the OT. You don't know joy until you've gotten eight bi-weekly paychecks with 120-140 hours of pay on each of them.