Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

And a single conference owning California and Texas for recruiting?

Without UT it'd be more like a third of Texas and all of Oklahoma.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Whole lotta' rumor-mill chatter about the LSU/SoCar game being moved to Baton Rouge this weekend.

it sounds like a logistical nightmare

ESPN posted:

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner is not "100 percent sure" that the Gamecocks' game against the No. 7 LSU Tigers will be played at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday because of the devastating floods that hit the state this past weekend.

Tanner said Tuesday that officials at both schools and the Southeastern Conference have gone through several scenarios, including playing the game at LSU. He said a decision will be made within the next day and a half whether the game can go on.

Tanner said logistical issues include roadways that have been washed away and whether there would be enough first-responder personnel available to handle the typical duties on game day like traffic and crowd control.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Man they sure don't make them smart in the SEC, so defensive.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Tech's not really inherently more valuable or successful than Baylor or TCU.

Your confusing current on field performance with what conferences actually care about, money and markets.

TCU and Baylor are tiny private religious schools with tiny alumni bases. Saturdays Tech draws more eyeballs than TCU does in Fort Worth which is TCU's backyard even as bad as Tech is right now. Though if you wanted to wrap up Texas (the state) in a bow you would want UT, OU and A&M though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DJExile posted:

it sounds like a logistical nightmare

I heard that the announcement is supposed to be made today to give either team and their fanbase enough time to travel.

It's a shame that there's a NASCAR race in Charlotte, and that the Falcons are at home in Atlanta... Otherwise either of those would be a great choice. I mean, we know this isn't really supposed to be a competitive game, but flipping home-field advantage like that just loving sucks. Imagine if for some reason they had to swap sites for a big rivalry like the Iron Bowl... People would lose their poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scarf posted:

I heard that the announcement is supposed to be made today to give either team and their fanbase enough time to travel.

It's a shame that there's a NASCAR race in Charlotte, and that the Falcons are at home in Atlanta... Otherwise either of those would be a great choice. I mean, we know this isn't really supposed to be a competitive game, but flipping home-field advantage like that just loving sucks. Imagine if for some reason they had to swap sites for a big rivalry like the Iron Bowl... People would lose their poo poo.

Even if SC wasn't having a brutal year, I doubt most of the players and fans care too much about where the game is (or even the game itself) when half the state is underwater and people have been getting killed.

Not that you don't raise a good point, because yeah it would suck to suddenly have to play it at the other team's field, but it seems mostly like things are in a different perspective right now. It'd be another story if it couldn't be played at SC because of something like the stadium having power issues or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

our coach and trainer own

Toledo Blade posted:

BOWLING GREEN — Bowling Green State University football coach Dino Babers and assistant athletic trainer Chelsea Lowe helped save a motorist from serious injury after an accident Saturday.

Babers and Lowe were on the first of four team buses coming back from the Falcons game at Buffalo. While traveling west on I-90 near the Cleveland suburb of Avon, Ohio, just before midnight, a car swerved in front of that bus and hit the center divider.

Moments later, the car caught fire.

“The bus driver asked for permission to stop the bus, and I gave it to him — but I told him not to stop the other three buses,” Babers said. “Then he asked to go check out the car and see if the driver was hurt.

“I told him no, because if he was hurt there wouldn’t be anyone to drive the bus home.”

So that first BG bus, which was unaffected by the crash, stopped a short distance away, and Babers and Lowe went to the car.

“The closer we got to the car, the clearer we could see smoke billowing,” Lowe said. “We knew whoever was in the car wasn’t just going to walk away and have everything be OK.”

The pair helped pull the injured driver, identified by Avon police as 25-year-old Amber Nettles of Elyria, out of the car and a safe distance away from the burning vehicle before local police and fire officials arrived.

“Chelsea was there comforting the woman, and I went back to the car to get her purse and keys and other valuables,” Babers said.

Avon police confirmed the crash and said Nettles was taken to St. John Medical Center in Westlake. A hospital spokesman said they had no information on a patient by that name.

“We had carried or dragged her about 30 feet away to what was a safer place,” Lowe said.

“My main concern was to hold her in a position where she was as comfortable as possible while we waited for paramedics, and that she stayed alert and as pain-free as possible while we waited.”

Lowe, whose father was a volunteer fireman and whose husband, Benjamin, is an EMT, said she jumped at the chance to help.

“With my training and background, there was no point where I considered not trying to help,” she said. “I wanted to make sure a human being was OK, and I wanted to help in any way I could.”

Babers said the motivation for the good deed came nearly 30 years ago when a couple of Good Samaritans helped him.

“In 1987 I was at Arizona State [as a graduate assistant], and I just got a job at Eastern Illinois,” he said. “So I got a U-Haul to drive from Arizona to Charleston, Ill.

“Somebody told me to take a shortcut through the hills of Arizona, and when I hit elevation I hit snow. Suddenly, I am driving in snow for the first time in my life.”

During the drive, Babers lost control of the car and found himself in a gully by the side of the road.

“I’m sitting there, looking at the snow, and I’m going to wait for help — even though I’m sitting there in a short-sleeve shirt, no blankets, no food, nothing,” he said. “Then I noticed my lights weren’t visible because of the accumulation of snow, and I barely could open the door to the car.”

Finally, Babers saw a pair of headlights heading his way, and a couple drove the coach to the nearest town.

“There was so much snow, the wrecker to tow my car wouldn’t go out,” Babers said. “I got snowed in for three days in Quemado, N.M.”

Eventually Babers returned home, but he never forgot the Largo Motel and Café, sending Christmas cards each year. He also remembered a promise he made to the couple who saved his life.

“I kept trying to give this couple some money to thank them for what they did, and they wouldn’t take it,” Babers said.

“So I told the woman, ‘Ma’am, I’ve got to give you something.’

“And she said, ‘Promise me one thing: If you are ever driving, and you see someone on the side of the road, promise me you will stop.’ ”

Babers said he has done his best to keep that promise. Once he helped revive a person who had a heart attack in a hotel parking lot, and another time he helped extract two drivers from a car that had flipped in Dallas.

“It was an icy night in Dallas,” Babers said. “This car lost control and spun in the middle lane, and when it stopped it was on its side.

“So I and several other guys went to the car, with several of us holding the car in place so it wouldn’t tip while two other guys are on top of the car, pulling two guys out of the car.”

Babers said pulling the passengers out of the tipped car was not the biggest danger they faced.

“This car is turned on its side, and people were flying past us,” Babers said. “I thought, ‘Can’t you people see? It’s icy and the car is on its side!’

“If you don’t stop, at least go slow — with a little caution.”

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Georgia Tech left the SEC and probably isn't welcome back for that reason (unless money says differently).

Back when expansion talks were going on, several SEC schools got together and straight up said they would veto any addition from a state where there was already a school. I know South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida for sure. They didn't want to lose any in-state recruiting advantages they had from being the only team to play in the SEC.

And, I mean, I get it. But I think it sucks. Texas A&M is the right kind of crazy. Missouri never seemed to fit with me. Especially in comparison to adding some other schools. But, hey, gotta make as much money as you can in amateur athletics (as long as you're not a player)

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Back when expansion talks were going on, several SEC schools got together and straight up said they would veto any addition from a state where there was already a school. I know South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida for sure. They didn't want to lose any in-state recruiting advantages they had from being the only team to play in the SEC.

And, I mean, I get it. But I think it sucks. Texas A&M is the right kind of crazy. Missouri never seemed to fit with me. Especially in comparison to adding some other schools. But, hey, gotta make as much money as you can in amateur athletics (as long as you're not a player)
Every couple of weeks I get real tempted to call in to ESPN so I can be all "Them kittens from Missouri just ain't SEC Pawwl"

But then I always realize I have not hit rock bottom in my life so...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All it takes to know that Missouri belongs in the sec is to spend a few days there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Missouri is the only departed school that I miss.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The fact that everyone I've ever met from Missouri pronounced it "Missouruh"... Yeah they fit right in.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I think you mean the most recent expansion flurry, but in the late 80s/early 90s FSU actively avoided the SEC for an easier path to NCs (from Bowden's own mouth).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Numlock posted:

Man they sure don't make them smart in the SEC, so defensive.

Your confusing current on field performance with what conferences actually care about, money and markets.

TCU and Baylor are tiny private religious schools with tiny alumni bases. Saturdays Tech draws more eyeballs than TCU does in Fort Worth which is TCU's backyard even as bad as Tech is right now. Though if you wanted to wrap up Texas (the state) in a bow you would want UT, OU and A&M though.

I guess you're right about the living alumni making a big impact, but I can't imagine a scenario where Tech gets an invite from another major conference without Texas.

I will stand by the historical success argument though- Tech's all time records against Baylor and TCU are 36-37-1 and 30-25-3, respectively so they're exactly a tier above. Hell, Tech didn't even join the SWC until 1956.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ In a scenario where UT peaces out, Tech is the last major public school in Texas (there's also Houston, but Houston's not even the top school in their neighborhood) that is unclaimed. Being public, non-religious, actually has a fair draw for the Pac12 as they have one school dead-set against religiously affiliated members. Tech's also the first major school that makes geographic and historical sense in the Pac12.

But I agree with you that Tech doesn't make a move without Texas and I don't think Texas makes a move without Tech. Between being legislatively handcuffed (Baylor is less powerful now than in the early 90's, but Tech has some solid legislative pull still), and Texas's desire to never be in a powerless situation, the schools are a sort of package deal.

Still think that the next round of expansion which will likely happen in 2026 with the grant of rights expiring, will be a merger of sorts between the Big XII and the ACC after the SEC and Big Ten pick off a few schools from each conference.

Pac 12 will try again to pull 4 from the Big XII, but I don't think they'll do it: UT will feel that they can control a merged ACC/Big XII better than an established Pac 12 and so that's the direction that we'll go.

That actually hurts ISU and KSU the most as a conference merger could lead to a few teams getting left out just as it did when the 4 SWC teams merged with the Big 8. Others on the outside looking in in a merger scenario could include 'cuse, BC, and Wake.

(I love realignment talk)

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 7, 2015

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

All it takes to know that Missouri belongs in the sec is to spend a few days there.

I call bullshit.

Apologies to the Mizzou folks in the thread, but I spent about 4 months there for a work-related project. Sure, they were redneck-y for the most part (found in any state really), but they didn't have an iota of charm or manners. I know that's a trope to most, but I can travel throughout the southeastern U.S. and when I open a door for someone or say How are you? to a stranger, they react pleasantly & with the same couth.

Not in Missouri.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The next realignment will see UNLV in a P5 conference :)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeeMajors posted:

I think you mean the most recent expansion flurry, but in the late 80s/early 90s FSU actively avoided the SEC for an easier path to NCs (from Bowden's own mouth).

Oh yeah that brings up another realignment memory that is funny in hindsight. Dodds favored the 10-team Big 12 in part because he believed that not having divisions and a conference championship game would make the path to the national championship game easier. The B12 had a couple shots at the BCSNCG get blown by an upset in the conference championship and not everyone was playing them at the time. Anyway, now everyone else has the conference championship game and early indications are we'll have to hope for an upset in some other conference's championship game if we want to get in to the playoffs.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Whole lotta' rumor-mill chatter about the LSU/SoCar game being moved to Baton Rouge this weekend.

I'm going to be really, really pissed if this happens. The flooding is no one's fault, of course, and Columbia is in no shape to host a game. It's not safe and the city/state has much more important things to worry about. But this game should at least be at a neutral site and I can't believe we couldn't find ANYONE to work with us on that.

As long as we get two home games against LSU the next time they're on our schedule, I can live with it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

I'm going to be really, really pissed if this happens. The flooding is no one's fault, of course, and Columbia is in no shape to host a game. It's not safe and the city/state has much more important things to worry about. But this game should at least be at a neutral site and I can't believe we couldn't find ANYONE to work with us on that.

As long as we get two home games against LSU the next time they're on our schedule, I can live with it.

The problem probably isn't finding a neutral site so much as it is finding one on incredibly short notice.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LeeMajors posted:

That and faculty protests

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Sanford Stadium should be sitting empty this weekend.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

e: ^^ In a scenario where UT peaces out, Tech is the last major public school in Texas (there's also Houston, but Houston's not even the top school in their neighborhood) that is unclaimed. Being public, non-religious, actually has a fair draw for the Pac12 as they have one school dead-set against religiously affiliated members. Tech's also the first major school that makes geographic and historical sense in the Pac12.

*dog whistle*

Name another large public school in "the neighborhood" that isn't in the SEC.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
It's always funny to see people's conception of Missouri because it is so different from my own. For whatever reason it seems like people imagine the whole state is the Ozarks when the Ozarks are really their own hosed up thing. Like, being from Kansas City the whole hick Mizzerruh image of the state is bizarre and foreign to me. I'm sure people from St Louis feel the same way.

Whatever, it didn't matter. The state does in fact suck very hard. Still I don't think it is Southern except to people that either don't know what Southern is, or don't know what Missouri is.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alpha_destroy posted:

It's always funny to see people's conception of Missouri because it is so different from my own. For whatever reason it seems like people imagine the whole state is the Ozarks when the Ozarks are really their own hosed up thing. Like, being from Kansas City the whole hick Mizzerruh image of the state is bizarre and foreign to me. I'm sure people from St Louis feel the same way.

Whatever, it didn't matter. The state does in fact suck very hard. Still I don't think it is Southern except to people that either don't know what Southern is, or don't know what Missouri is.

Kansas City Goons. :hfive:

Missouri sucks. Kansas sucks worse.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

I dunno, the Ozarks are pretty distinct in both Arkansas and Missouri and I don't really consider them Southern for a lot of reasons. Something about hill country anywhere brings out a distinct personality which I personally love but is often portrayed as "hick." Saint Louis doesn't feel anything like the South, honestly. Missouri doesn't fit but honestly doesn't have to.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

It's official: The game is now in Baton Rogue. They haven't set a TV time yet either, which means they're probably gonna make it a night game (it was originally scheduled for noon). Talk about insult to injury. Maybe they can spot us 14 points for all the trouble...

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

RumbleFish posted:

It's official: The game is now in Baton Rogue. They haven't set a TV time yet either, which means they're probably gonna make it a night game (it was originally scheduled for noon). Talk about insult to injury. Maybe they can spot us 14 points for all the trouble...

At least it's happening in a down year and not one where y'all would have a chance at the sec title /playoff

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

RumbleFish posted:

to make it fair the teams should have to switch sides

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Hope LSU at least shares some of the gate with SC

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
LSU should have to wear their white away unif... nevermind.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I call bullshit.

Apologies to the Mizzou folks in the thread, but I spent about 4 months there for a work-related project. Sure, they were redneck-y for the most part (found in any state really), but they didn't have an iota of charm or manners. I know that's a trope to most, but I can travel throughout the southeastern U.S. and when I open a door for someone or say How are you? to a stranger, they react pleasantly & with the same couth.

Not in Missouri.

Same for Oklahoma. When I moved there I thought it would be more or less like the south. Instead all I found was a sea of white people (seriously, it was like 99.9% white) that would look at the ground instead of making eye contact and if they were spoken to looked at you with a half-terrified expression wondering who the gently caress you were to speak to them.

I hated it there. Nothing like Louisiana or even most of Texas.

RumbleFish posted:

That sucks but there's probably a lot more considerations going into it than "Let's make this easy for LSU". They should give you guys a home/home in the future to make up for it though. That would only be right.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh yeah that brings up another realignment memory that is funny in hindsight. Dodds favored the 10-team Big 12 in part because he believed that not having divisions and a conference championship game would make the path to the national championship game easier. The B12 had a couple shots at the BCSNCG get blown by an upset in the conference championship and not everyone was playing them at the time. Anyway, now everyone else has the conference championship game and early indications are we'll have to hope for an upset in some other conference's championship game if we want to get in to the playoffs.

There's almost always an upset in somebody's championship game. I think Dodds' logic is going to prove correct more often than not, it just didn't work out that way last year.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Scarf posted:

LSU should have to wear their white away unif... nevermind.

Both teams wear home jerseys.

That poo poo is the best and should happen at every possible opportunity.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
As was surmised yesterday, the move to Baton Rouge is due in no small part to the stress being placed on local first responders in South Carolina right now.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Of all schools in the SEC, LSU understands what it's like to go through something like this. I'm pretty confident they'll try to be as accommodating as possible. Just a bummer all around.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

RumbleFish posted:

Of all schools in the SEC, LSU understands what it's like to go through something like this. I'm pretty confident they'll try to be as accommodating as possible. Just a bummer all around.

I'm interested in all the details: how they arrived at DV as the venue, how is the game going to be set up to accomodate SC as the home team, etc.

The Rant is reporting that if the teams switch sidelines, it's nearly a given that when LSU exits the tunnel, Les Miles will run the wrong way.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Are they going to restrict sales to LSU students? Like obviously the game will be mostly LSU fans, but will they make people at least work to get the tickets?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

RumbleFish posted:

After Katrina the LSU team wouldn't give up their hotel rooms to evacuees but Tennessee did and we just bussed down on the day of the game.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
so we can confirm that if LSU lost this weekend it would be the greatest upset in SC history, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wanna see teams trade coaches :q:

• Locked thread