Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

for the quests to unlock new classes, does gender matter? e.g i need a rank 2 fighter, can that be a lady fighter or does it need to be an actual fighter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

for the quests to unlock new classes, does gender matter? e.g i need a rank 2 fighter, can that be a lady fighter or does it need to be an actual fighter?

It can be either.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why is there no instrumental version!!!!!

yea real bummer, but whatcha gonna do

the bgm 01 i think it is is a sufficient base song, might have made more sense as the default

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah that's what I've been using and it's very natural.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
when they say 'rank 2' they don't mean level, do they? i'm not quite sure for the quests.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

when they say 'rank 2' they don't mean level, do they? i'm not quite sure for the quests.

On the status page for the units you should be able to see their class mastery, its the row of stars.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
awesome, thanks.

so does every class unlock in the game have a quest associated with it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So far it seems like it, even monsters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

killia is mamoru miyano right?

the dub isn't bad but i have no choice

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

My copy is in Texas 2100 km away. Why did NISA wait until the 6th to ship it? :arghfist:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I haven't played a Disgaea since 2 and just a couple quick questions.

1) At assembly, it says I can pick a sub-class for a character. What exactly is that? I assume its beneficial but I can't seem to find what it is for.

2) I've seen a video of colour editing and I like that, how do I do it? I voted it in at the assembly yet all I can seem to do is just pick from 3 palettes for everyone so far.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

What causes you to accrue SP? Can you speed it up? I'm trying to level up my skills and I can't quite determine what causes SP gain and why it's so loving slow to increase.

Additionally, is there any way to see how close you are to getting the next level of a class unlocked? I have a bunch of quests to unlock level 2 classes but, man, it's just not happening.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have learned a very valuable lesson. Do not push your luck robbing the item world bank. RIP like 2 hours of item world progress.

Same thing almost happened to me, but I realized that there is an invisible port to the next floor under the cat next to the base portal. Just had my level 10 dude with no gear equiped use an ability to push her over 1 space then stepped where she was and it exited the battle.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pathos posted:

What causes you to accrue SP? Can you speed it up? I'm trying to level up my skills and I can't quite determine what causes SP gain and why it's so loving slow to increase.

Additionally, is there any way to see how close you are to getting the next level of a class unlocked? I have a bunch of quests to unlock level 2 classes but, man, it's just not happening.

More with levels, for both. You are going to get a character to 9999 about 500 times many classes are not designed with the story in mind, but the post game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pathos posted:

On your character status screen, I believe it's page 4, you can find your Class Mastery. It'll be a grid of all the classes you have with 5 stars next to each. You fill these stars specifically by getting kills. Killing higher level enemies raises it faster.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So someone further in the game then I am (only the tail end of chapter 2) give me some hope that the characters get better cause right now I'm just kinda loosely paying attention and completely out of it.

Disgaea plots have never been award winning or anything like that (especially 3) but I'm just finding myself excessively bored thanks to Killia having no personality at all. Like at least I could hate Mao for being a lovely character where as Killia I just glance at my laptop or something because I find it hard to care.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So someone further in the game then I am (only the tail end of chapter 2) give me some hope that the characters get better cause right now I'm just kinda loosely paying attention and completely out of it.

Disgaea plots have never been award winning or anything like that (especially 3) but I'm just finding myself excessively bored thanks to Killia having no personality at all. Like at least I could hate Mao for being a lovely character where as Killia I just glance at my laptop or something because I find it hard to care.

Well are you playing for the story or the end game? You could just press triangle and skip all the scenes until you unlock item world, get to level 200 then finish the story quickly to finish unlocking any characters you still want.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

projecthalaxy posted:

Here are the DLCs that are available in Japan, which will eventually make their way over to NA/EU.

Disgaea 1/Disgaea D2
Laharl
Etna
Flonne
Sicily
Female Laharl

Disgaea 2
Adell
Rozalin
Axel

Disgaea 3
Mao
Raspberyl
Almaz
Sapphire
Salvatore

Disgaea 4
Valvatorez
Fenrich
Fuka
Desco
Emizel
Artina

Other
Metallia (Witch and the Hundred Knight)
Zetta, Pram and Petta (Makai Kingdom)
Overlord Priere (La Pucelle)
Pleinair (Haradaya)
Celestial Host class

Where is Gig / Soul Nomad? I don't see it on the list!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Exmond posted:

Where is Gig / Soul Nomad? I don't see it on the list!

Unfortunately, all indications are that ol' crazy eyes did not make the cut this time. I'm sad too, he and Desco were my D4 post game anchors.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm at roughly the same point and view Killia as essentially a non-entity. To me he's just a dude who tags along with the actual main characters.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pixaal posted:

Well are you playing for the story or the end game? You could just press triangle and skip all the scenes until you unlock item world, get to level 200 then finish the story quickly to finish unlocking any characters you still want.

Bit of both, while none of the stories are super memorable I do like some of the jokes and banter between the cast members and I'd like to enjoy it before the characters just turn into numbers.

Problem I'm having is Killia as mentioned, dudes just such a wet blanket. It's like the cast so far has potential to be fun, but all the humor is directed at a wall.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm kinda in the same place. Like I'm sure that the face he keeps flashing back to or Other Killia will eventually lead to something, interesting or no, but right now he's probably the worst main cast member I can remember off hand.

On another note, I just started Poisondise and enjoy the Lost's willingness and eagerness to jump into the toxic ocean and just hang out there until they die.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Finished up poisondose and a couple 10 floor runs last night. Everything was pretty hard for a while but I seem to have gotten over the hump. Here is my noob pro tip:

Give every character a subclass as soon as you unlock the assembly. They seem to grow at least 3x as fast as your actual class. You can even make your own class your subclass. I was getting nowhere on the unlock quests until I did this.

Now a question about interrogation. How does it work and what is it for? Maybe I need to put more guys in the squad but it takes forever (3+ levels worth) to wear someone down and once I do I get what, another generic I could have hired for a few k hl? I mean I do have a ton of empty squad and research slots I guess...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Same thing almost happened to me, but I realized that there is an invisible port to the next floor under the cat next to the base portal. Just had my level 10 dude with no gear equiped use an ability to push her over 1 space then stepped where she was and it exited the battle.

Augh. I didn't even try that.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
so if yall dont know, the map edit shop lets you create maps for anyone to play. you can also play other players maps or friends maps only. i dont have ps+ and was able to use this feature

fake edit: unlock it in the assembly

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

People on GameFAQs are already making money maps that are clearable at level 30 and give you millions of mana and HL.

This one is by a BatousaiJ and seems to be the most efficient:

Apparently you have to get to Chapter 9 to unlock the Money Map mode within the map editor that lets you play these cheap maps.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ssssso, what I'm getting is, boring protagonist aside, this is a good game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

Ssssso, what I'm getting is, boring protagonist aside, this is a good game.

It's very good.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

People on GameFAQs are already making money maps that are clearable at level 30 and give you millions of mana and HL.

Apparently you have to get to Chapter 9 to unlock the Money Map mode within the map editor that lets you play these cheap maps.

You say that like HL or mana is even a concern past the early post game. It will help to get there quicker sure but grinding your weapons is the real trick for power.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I don't know how I feel about that. I know the grinding maps are there for a reason, but that one seems like it might just be... too easy? And trivialize everything.

Weird thing to complain about in a Disgaea game, I know. I'll probably end up using it anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

projecthalaxy posted:

At least that changes the need for them to include farm map 5000 in the game, could be a good change. I like the story part to be a little challenging but not require hours of grinding to stay on that level.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah this doesn't seem like new ground to me. What it seems like is that BatousaiJ (or any number of others, I'm sure) has brought the Cave of Ordeals map we always have into the middle of the plot instead of it being the gateway to the postgame.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

You say that like HL or mana is even a concern past the early post game. It will help to get there quicker sure but grinding your weapons is the real trick for power.

With the cheat shop they're all equivalent right?

Where's the option to change the base bgm anyway?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What's the best way to make use of the item world early on? Should I be actually clearing every floor, or skipping to gates and hoping for good chests etc? Does random stuff I find in there vary based on the item's power, or the floor number, or both?

mune
Sep 23, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

What's the best way to make use of the item world early on? Should I be actually clearing every floor, or skipping to gates and hoping for good chests etc? Does random stuff I find in there vary based on the item's power, or the floor number, or both?

Depends on what you're going after. Early on in the game I pick an item world with a doable level and level it up as high as I can to get an appreciable advantage over where I'm at in the story.

Since you have to actually clear each level in this game to level the item up (unlike past games) I wouldn't skip around the levels unless you're looking to level up your innocents only.

mune fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

With the cheat shop they're all equivalent right?

Where's the option to change the base bgm anyway?

talk to the data shop guy

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

What tier do Skulls start being able to learn Star magic, or is it unlocked another way? I would have thought Tier 2 would unlock it as an elemental Forte, but no.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

What tier do Skulls start being able to learn Star magic, or is it unlocked another way? I would have thought Tier 2 would unlock it as an elemental Forte, but no.

mine is a 3rd star i think and has the first star spell

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

In my day, you had to level up one of every element skull or witch to unlock star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Someone on page 1 was lamenting a relative lack of postgame in this? Does anyone know anything about that? I imagine no one has finished the game this quickly, but I'm on the fence about buying.

• Locked thread