Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Is there a book that explains who the Prophet is and why he's such a threat to Doom?

Also Siege was amazing. Wouldn't have asked for any other ending.

I'm going to assume the Prophet is someone who's identity will be revealed in the future. My first guess is that it's someone from the life rafts, but we know the whereabouts of Panther, Namor, Thanos, Carol, Star Lord, Both Spidermen, Corvis, Proxima, Black Swam, The Maker and reed. Am I forgetting someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Main book, Siege and OML all crazy good this week, but definitely not enough people talking about Witch Hunter Angela. I had no real interest in the character before, and only minimally knew the main writer and artist, but it's just totally great throughout. Surprisingly touching (and thematically appropriate) final issue too!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Is there a book that explains who the Prophet is and why he's such a threat to Doom?
You know as much as everybody at this point.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm going to assume the Prophet is someone who's identity will be revealed in the future. My first guess is that it's someone from the life rafts, but we know the whereabouts of Panther, Namor, Thanos, Carol, Star Lord, Both Spidermen, Corvis, Proxima, Black Swam, The Maker and reed. Am I forgetting someone?

Maximus.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Maduo posted:

Maximus.

That was my immediate thought too and fits because Maximus gimmick aside from being insane is that he always manages to convince others to follow him. Who better to lead a bunch of people against a God than a mad man?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maduo posted:

Maximus.

Oh yeah duh. It's him for sure.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Plus The Maker hinted that The Prophet was one of his schemes and Maximus was the Cabal member he seemed to be on the best terms with.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I thought it was just a given that it was Maximus.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Maduo posted:

Maximus.

This was my assumption as well.

Also I'm glad SW #6 was so awesome - I was starting to lose interest in the event since its story hadn't moved forward in so long.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

Oh yeah duh. It's him for sure.

Yep, derp can't believe I didn't put that together.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

zoux posted:

Ribic just kills it on facial expressions. Also love the ಠ_ಠ T'Challa gives when he first sees the gauntlet.

Super serious spoilers below:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After the previous issue I was super loving worried for Carol.

After this issue I'm just so giddy that she's not taking any of Sinister's bullshit and he's glad to have someone talking level with him. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there a book that explains who the Prophet is and why he's such a threat to Doom? Also is Carol Danvers being mind controlled or does she have some history with Sinister?

Yeah right here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

After the previous issue I was super loving worried for Carol.

After this issue I'm just so giddy that she's not taking any of Sinister's bullshit and he's glad to have someone talking level with him. :3:

Is that what was going on? I figured she was either a clone he made or her or mind controlled in some way.

I really hope AoA Kitty shows up again, wasn't she working for Val?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berk Berkly posted:

Super serious spoilers below:

Haha fantastic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Is that what was going on? I figured she was either a clone he made or her or mind controlled in some way.

I really hope AoA Kitty shows up again, wasn't she working for Val?

Yeah, she's obviously a Sinister Carol seeing as she has a forehead diamond.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

a clone he made or her or mind controlled

Please stop reading bad comics its destroying your mind. :ohdear:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ben Grimm's abusive older brother would yell "It's Clobberin' Time" before beating him.

So Old Man Logan ends at the start of the new Marvel line? What was that Emma was showing him about how he'd lead the charge against Doom? Just a "what-if"? I was really psyched to see OML leading the mutant uprising in Secret Wars. :(

Also, what is the Siege Courageous? I also think there has to be some payoff for T'Challa talking over Strange's speech - Strange was saying that using it transforms you into somethingsomething, but you couldn't read it under T'Challa's word balloon, which I thought was pretty clever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

muscles like this? posted:

I'm going to laugh when she shows that the diamond was crazy glued on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume it's the non evil version of the Siege Perilous. That transported you places but occassionally could turn you into a statuesque female Asian ninja.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I also think there has to be some payoff for T'Challa talking over Strange's speech - Strange was saying that using it transforms you into somethingsomething, but you couldn't read it under T'Challa's word balloon, which I thought was pretty clever.

Strange is expositioning for anyone finding it that doesnt know what the thing they found is.

But Tchalla and Namor know exactly what the gently caress it is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I only remember the Siege Courageous from the AvX series. I don't know if it was a thing before or after that. That might have been one of Hickman's issues too knowing how he plants things all over the place.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The art in Secret Wars #6 sure was... uneven. At least the story is still awesome. I really wish they could keep putting out the issues at a regular pace because these delays mute the momentum on what is otherwise a great series.

Siege and Old Man Logan were good too. Two of the best tie ins for sure.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SynthOrange posted:

Strange is expositioning for anyone finding it that doesnt know what the thing they found is.

But Tchalla and Namor know exactly what the gently caress it is.

Do we know what the thing is? The Marvel wiki doesn't mention anything about transformation. There's actually not much at all on the Siege Courageous, when you do a Google search.

Also, yay or nay on that Prophet comic you linked earlier? I've read a couple reviews now, and the scope seems amazing, but I'm kinda put off by stories that keep leaving the main plot to delve into flashbacks or side stories.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunbar posted:

The art in Secret Wars #6 sure was... uneven. At least the story is still awesome. I really wish they could keep putting out the issues at a regular pace because these delays mute the momentum on what is otherwise a great series.

Siege and Old Man Logan were good too. Two of the best tie ins for sure.

What do you mean, I thought the art was great?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Do we know what the thing is? The Marvel wiki doesn't mention anything about transformation. There's actually not much at all on the Siege Courageous, when you do a Google search.

Also, yay or nay on that Prophet comic you linked earlier? I've read a couple reviews now, and the scope seems amazing, but I'm kinda put off by stories that keep leaving the main plot to delve into flashbacks or side stories.

Strange had stopped talking about the SC and was going on to talk about the Infinity Gauntlet. The SC is just a straight up teleporter.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.

SynthOrange posted:

Strange had stopped talking about the SC and was going on to talk about the Infinity Gauntlet. The SC is just a straight up teleporter.

Nah, Strange states that the SC transforms the user in a manner befitting their true "something something", with the first word starting with P and possibly ending in AL.

Which I hope means we get to see a gigantic, Infinity Gauntlet wielding Panther.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Presumably the word you're looking for is 'potential'?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Presumably the word you're looking for is 'potential'?

Penpal. The Siege Courageous turns you into the perfect correspondant.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

Please stop reading bad comics its destroying your mind. :ohdear:

90s Spider-man will haunt me forever. But that IS what Sinister does.

muscles like this? posted:

Exactly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

90s Spider-man will haunt me forever.

Would you say it'll chase you to the ends of the earth?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Would you say it'll chase you to the ends of the earth?

Noooooooo! That triggers me so badly i'm going to turn into a spider and give birth to myself! (I know that was early 2000s but still wtf???)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

zoux posted:

I assume it's the non evil version of the Siege Perilous. That transported you places but occassionally could turn you into a statuesque female Asian ninja.

The Siege Perilous wasn't originally a transport device; it was a Rebirth McGuffin. You'd go through it and you'd get a new life, and would (at least until plot demanded it) not remember your old one. Roma put it in the hands of the X-Men, who used it to escape from the Reavers; Havok ended up a Genoshan Magistrate, Colossus was a New York-based artist (and was going by 'Peter' instead of 'Piotr;' it was implied that he didn't even know Russian until his old memories jolted back to him); Rogue ended up in the Savage Land, somehow separated from the Ms. Marvel personality she'd absorbed way back when, fought with her, won, and kept her flight/strength/invulnerability but lost Carol Danvers' personality imprint, then hung with Magneto for a bit; Dazzler went back to being a singer with no memories of her powers; Psylocke wound up in Hong Kong and That Whole Mess (tm) started up. It was also responsible for merging Nimrod and Master Mold into Bastion, back when.

Also, it was never evil, really; I'm not sure where you get that idea. Even when it was used by Kilgore's Hellfire Academy as their 'detention,' it didn't spit people out 'evil,' IIRC; it spit them out blank, more amenable to the Academy's indoctrination.

The Siege Courageous was a transport device used by the Phoenix Five, and was clearly tech-based instead of magic-based, but really nothing about it has been revealed; it's probably not the Siege Courageous we're seeing in Secret Wars, which is almost definitely magical (and thus in Strange's purview) and probably more like the Siege Perilous than anything. If I had to bet I'd say it also gives people that pass through it a 'new life,' probably a more directly heroic one.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I always get a kick out of how 616 characters talk in caps and Ultimate characters don't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Siege Perilous wasn't originally a transport device; it was a Rebirth McGuffin. You'd go through it and you'd get a new life, and would (at least until plot demanded it) not remember your old one. Roma put it in the hands of the X-Men, who used it to escape from the Reavers; Havok ended up a Genoshan Magistrate, Colossus was a New York-based artist (and was going by 'Peter' instead of 'Piotr;' it was implied that he didn't even know Russian until his old memories jolted back to him); Rogue ended up in the Savage Land, somehow separated from the Ms. Marvel personality she'd absorbed way back when, fought with her, won, and kept her flight/strength/invulnerability but lost Carol Danvers' personality imprint, then hung with Magneto for a bit; Dazzler went back to being a singer with no memories of her powers; Psylocke wound up in Hong Kong and That Whole Mess (tm) started up. It was also responsible for merging Nimrod and Master Mold into Bastion, back when.

Also, it was never evil, really; I'm not sure where you get that idea. Even when it was used by Kilgore's Hellfire Academy as their 'detention,' it didn't spit people out 'evil,' IIRC; it spit them out blank, more amenable to the Academy's indoctrination.

The Siege Courageous was a transport device used by the Phoenix Five, and was clearly tech-based instead of magic-based, but really nothing about it has been revealed; it's probably not the Siege Courageous we're seeing in Secret Wars, which is almost definitely magical (and thus in Strange's purview) and probably more like the Siege Perilous than anything. If I had to bet I'd say it also gives people that pass through it a 'new life,' probably a more directly heroic one.

I think it's evil because it's called the Siege Perilous.

Unmature posted:

I always get a kick out of how 616 characters talk in caps and Ultimate characters don't.

Evil Reed is still talking that way in the Ultimates preview so looks like that's gonna be the convention going forward.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

zoux posted:

I think it's evil because it's called the Siege Perilous.

Then you, unlike Chris Claremont, are not familiar with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

(The Siege Perilous is a reference to one of the chairs around the Round Table, that was fated to be the last seat occupied by a Round Table Knight; Sir Galahad was the one to finally claim it)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unmature posted:

616 characters are yelling all the time.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

zoux posted:

Evil Reed is still talking that way in the Ultimates preview so looks like that's gonna be the convention going forward.

Oddly enough, however, Miles was not in ASM. Did he have upper-case in the FCBD Avengers issue?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Then you, unlike Chris Claremont, are not familiar with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

(The Siege Perilous is a reference to one of the chairs around the Round Table, that was fated to be the last seat occupied by a Round Table Knight; Sir Galahad was the one to finally claim it)

Well I'd never sit in a chair called that :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Well I'd never sit in a chair called that :colbert:

That's why you'll never find the Holy Grail, zoux. :colbert:

• Locked thread