Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Wafflecopper posted:

Russ and Paul are idiots, and whoever designed the UI has taken waaaaay too long to figure it out, but what did the programmers do to deserve that? It sounds like you're just wildly flinging poo poo at anything PGI-related for the sake of it.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, the issues MWO has stem almost entirely from a total failure at the top; poor design choices, terrible understanding of balance, a lost year of development due to poor business planning. There's no real reason to knock the programmers.

It's also not well made, runs like dogshit, flounders somewhere between buggy and extremely buggy, crashes a lot (and I mean seriously a lot, and it always has), uhhh etc etc.

Sure, I mean, the guys at the top are the most incompetent, but that doesn't mean that the other people involved can't be incompetent either.

Have either of you actually played this game because it's basically the opposite of well made from a programming standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It ran well on my system and I don't recall running into any bugs or crashing a lot. :shrug:

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

It ran well on my system and I don't recall running into any bugs or crashing a lot. :shrug:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
One of my personal favorites was how playing on mining collective was basically a guaranteed crash for 1/4 of people in any given game for months before they finally thought "hmm maybe we should disable this map and try and fix this".

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If you're still crashing that's not normal and probably something wrong on your system. Mwo is no less stable than any other game. More so in some cases. Gta5 crashed on me more than mwo ever did.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Great Beer posted:

If you're still crashing that's not normal and probably something wrong on your system. Mwo is no less stable than any other game. More so in some cases. Gta5 crashed on me more than mwo ever did.

I haven't played in like 8 months, I'm not an insane moron. But every night in mumble when some of my insane moron friends are playing there's always the "oh, my game crashed" off and on from someone, same as its ever been.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Great Beer posted:

MWO is horrendously unstable if you alt-tab out into another window.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
switch to full-windowed mode and it will stop crashing if you join a match while alt tabbed

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

FARTSTAR posted:

switch to full-windowed mode and it will stop crashing if you join a match while alt tabbed

It does help a bit if it's full windowed but A.o.D. is right. It'll still get unstable and crash randomly tabbing back in even when you do that. Plus you'll get the cursor bug where your cursor is still moving around independent of your aiming reticle.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Wafflecopper posted:

I played it in 2013 or w/e and now again and I've never really had a crash issue at any point. A lot of game crashes are driver issues or whatever masquerading as app-related crashes anyway.

e: what's a good chassis to stick this cicada engine in that isn't a cicada?

frest fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 7, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

In other news, the Loyalty Nova is pretty bad, but it did remind me to buy the Nova Prime and put all the SPLs I could fit on it and that's been pretty great so far. 800 damage in my first drop with it. Once it has its basics, I'll just slap the arms on the D and do it all over again!

So I guess the D just saved me ~10M C-Bills on a third variant to Elite the set.

Also having the only IS 'Mech with MASC is fun.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 7, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FARTSTAR posted:

I have a dual monitor setup, so when I played in full windowed mode it was possible for the mouse to leave the game area and result in a click on the desktop, causing Mao to lose focus. This always happened at the worst possible moment. Basically, I get to choose between loving up while playing or occasional crashes.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The idea of people going "uhh I've never seen any bugs or crashes" in this thread is pretty amazing when you think about it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'll be the first to agree the game's direction has serious problems, but the game has never crashed or had massive unexplained issues for me.

RIP breakdancing Cauldron Born..

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
For virtually every PC game there are a million people who it keeps randomly crashing for while never crashing for the rest. The question is just how much they complain about it which is entirely a function of the overall perceived quality of the actual gameplay.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
save for scaleform being a resource hog, the game has been pretty rock solid for me during the three years i've been playing it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
it crashes about every six games for me, but I alt-Tab out a lot so

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Wafflecopper posted:

Russ and Paul are idiots, and whoever designed the UI has taken waaaaay too long to figure it out, but what did the programmers do to deserve that? It sounds like you're just wildly flinging poo poo at anything PGI-related for the sake of it.

The programmers might be ok, but they're managed so poorly it'd be hard to tell one way or the other. QA is obviously still a clusterfuck since IGP going bust, evidenced by the fact that every single patch has multiple hotfixes pushed out to fix major issues like random disconnects, massive framerate drops, latency and rubber-banding issues, or sometimes all of the above.

We've also seen that they do everything through waterfall planning, or are really bad at agile, one of the two. From what few accounts have leaked out of the PGI mall kiosk (via glassdoor and other sites), indications seem to be that Russ/Paul/Bryan love to dictate implementation details and micro-manage poo poo they have no business micro-managing.

When a company gets MORE incompetent as you climb the org chart, there's just no way to know whether the programmers are any good, but it's pretty much moot. Saying "PGI sucks at programming" is still completely valid even if every Software Engineer is god's gift to C++, simply because of how lovely management is throughout the whole process.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The only time I crash is when I'm alt+tabbed while loading. But, it takes so long to find a game sometimes that it might happen 3-4 times a night.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Actually half the time when I don't alt+tab I just get a black screen on load.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so, Crab: good? Crab good? Crab side torsos don't seem to be a huge deal because the drat thing is so small and quick.

Seriously it's shorter than an Arctic Cheetah.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

There is still the odd crash but we have fixed a LOT of crash bugs lately. Some stuff like the Alt-Tab stuff shows up sometimes still and I don't know what the root cause of that one is.

The LBX ammo isn't an engine limit. It's a limit of the custom weapons code. Would we like to fix it? Of course. It's one of the oldest systems in the game and my understanding is that making this change might have very odd knock on effects. It has to be done right and carefully. It is still in the backlog so one patch it'll be done, probably without much fanfare.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I have a bug report:
Firing more than a certain amount of the same weapon apparently generates extra :iiam: heat from an unknown source. The total heat is more than the sum of the weapons combined.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever so I'm sure its a bug. Hope this helps, tia.

Ninja edit: but for real I can probably count the number of crashes I've had on one hand - it's really stable for me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have an ATI card, if that matters. The crash when alt tabbed is the same as the crash on load, in that the screen is black but I am still playing.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Number19 posted:

It is still in the backlog so one patch it'll be done, probably without much fanfare.

todoforrelease.txt

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Help, the mech game crash all the time. None of my other regular games do this, it must be buggy please fix.

*Loads up Diablo 2 on 2003-era Pentium 4*

(complaining about any sort of crash and providing no details ain't going to get you sorted out folks)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

hopterque posted:

The idea of people going "uhh I've never seen any bugs or crashes" in this thread is pretty amazing when you think about it.

you really loving hate their programmers huh

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Wafflecopper posted:

you really loving hate their programmers huh

Tbf, they didn't riot when Paul suggested ghost heat so at the least they're complicit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Help, the mech game crash all the time. None of my other regular games do this, it must be buggy please fix.

*Loads up Diablo 2 on 2003-era Pentium 4*

(complaining about any sort of crash and providing no details ain't going to get you sorted out folks)

Thanks for this post.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Weird people are dumber than usual itt

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

MadWOPR posted:

Weird people are dumber than usual itt

We really need a separate thread for the new game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I'm leveling other bad cicadas so I can elite this new good cicada and some of the default loadouts on these things are basically big Ha Ha gently caress Yous to new players

The Cicada-2A comes with two medium lasers, one small laser, and TWELVE ARMOR on each side torso

imagine buying that, going into a match, and immediately getting cored by some gigaspike Dire Wolf

shameful

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Reminds me of the day the game went open beta, and only founders could use anything that wasn't free (until they slowly saved up to buy something real). There was an Atlas on the free rotation, so it was obviously a common pick - and why not? You think Atlas, and you think a slow, heavily armed motherfucker with a ton of armour.

Nope. During the first week, the assault mech that was playable was the Atlas with the XL engine, and considering it had the giant gauss rifle on its side, those things dropped like a rock. I imagine that turned a lot of new players off the game, when their armoured death machine died nearly instantly at all times.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

I have an ATI card, if that matters. The crash when alt tabbed is the same as the crash on load, in that the screen is black but I am still playing.

I swapped out my crossfired Radeon 5850's for an R9 290x. I lost about 15FPS doing that; the game does not play well with ATI cards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pattonesque posted:

I'm leveling other bad cicadas so I can elite this new good cicada and some of the default loadouts on these things are basically big Ha Ha gently caress Yous to new players

The Cicada-2A comes with two medium lasers, one small laser, and TWELVE ARMOR on each side torso

imagine buying that, going into a match, and immediately getting cored by some gigaspike Dire Wolf

shameful
Gotta stick to tabletop rules**

**that suit us! (and we dont give a poo poo about the players)

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Reminds me of the day the game went open beta, and only founders could use anything that wasn't free (until they slowly saved up to buy something real). There was an Atlas on the free rotation, so it was obviously a common pick - and why not? You think Atlas, and you think a slow, heavily armed motherfucker with a ton of armour.

Nope. During the first week, the assault mech that was playable was the Atlas with the XL engine, and considering it had the giant gauss rifle on its side, those things dropped like a rock. I imagine that turned a lot of new players off the game, when their armoured death machine died nearly instantly at all times.
This was the best loving thing as a Founder with a bunch of good mechs. Holyshit was it fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

basically they need to make every single new robot at least workable right out of the box. Otherwise a new player is like "oh this raven looks cool" and it goes like 81 KPH and he gets a .001 KDR

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pattonesque posted:

basically they need to make every single new robot at least workable right out of the box. Otherwise a new player is like "oh this raven looks cool" and it goes like 81 KPH and he gets a .001 KDR

Definitely. It looked like they had the right idea when they started rotating in Champion variants. Nothing stock was even worth using once people started modifying their personal mechs. Hell, even just switching to double heatsinks put their mechs in a league of their own. Making it worse at the beginning was not only stock mechs, but the bad stock mechs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Definitely. It looked like they had the right idea when they started rotating in Champion variants. Nothing stock was even worth using once people started modifying their personal mechs. Hell, even just switching to double heatsinks put their mechs in a league of their own. Making it worse at the beginning was not only stock mechs, but the bad stock mechs.

like, if you go in the caldera in caustic with a bunch of stock mechs, they straight up will not cool down at all

like what the hell man

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pattonesque posted:

like, if you go in the caldera in caustic with a bunch of stock mechs, they straight up will not cool down at all

like what the hell man

poo poo, I forgot about that. It's bad enough that most were terrible, but running them in Caustic could make them non-functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sometimes I try to think about how different the game might have turned out if they just added a cone of fire mechanic like a regular game.

• Locked thread