Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think my favorite part of Baki is when something really dumb/awesome happens and the narration switches to a random dude being interviewed about it after the fact.

Bob McBob (29), Salesman : Yes, that's right... That's when it happened. The man just did (impossible feat)... and then did (even more impossible feat)!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why do martial artists in manga always dislocate their joints and relocate them like nothing has happened after? I need to learn that trick

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I'm bringing up art evolution again for a bit.

Hanayama vs Yujiro Hanma in the original manga (His hand is hosed up from the previous fight, it's supposed to look weird):

Hanayama vs Yujiro Hanma in Baki Dou:

Suleman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 6, 2015

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
can we talk about Garouden too? it's by the same guy and it's also about ukiyo-e Tom of Finland guys doing violence to each other?

there's a cool panel of a fighter talking about how you can tell a man's power by how much he pees/poops/farts/cums/sweats/cries and he does all those things like five times as much as a normal man, which is why he is called "crybaby" and can twist a man's skull a full 180 degrees. i think that is the right manga anyway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Garouden has two versions but one is by the Baki artist ya

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

PenguinBob posted:

can we talk about Garouden too? it's by the same guy and it's also about ukiyo-e Tom of Finland guys doing violence to each other?

there's a cool panel of a fighter talking about how you can tell a man's power by how much he pees/poops/farts/cums/sweats/cries and he does all those things like five times as much as a normal man, which is why he is called "crybaby" and can twist a man's skull a full 180 degrees. i think that is the right manga anyway.

Sir I have reason to believe your monitor is set to off and you're talking about your reflection.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
That's alotta cum.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So is there a full translation out for the first series?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The anime covers it all pretty well although I've not seen it in years

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well I just finished reading all I can find and good series, want more.

More Giant Yakuza and jack hammer though, more of them.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I bet both of them will show up in Baki Dou as soon as Retsu gets his rear end kicked.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

retsu is going to survive because nobody dies in baki but he might lose an arm this time

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

retsu is going to survive because nobody dies in baki but he might lose an arm this time

It'll be the second leg.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can't wait to see a legless/armless retsu continue to win fights

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Jose posted:

can't wait to see a legless/armless retsu continue to win fights

Four peg leg Retsu careening through opponents like a goddamn pinwheel.

Kaku Kaioh coming up with yet another thousands-year old Chinese martial art master technique that gets destroyed by a Japanese übermensch in just about ten pages.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bushmeister posted:

Four peg leg Retsu careening through opponents like a goddamn pinwheel.

Kaku Kaioh coming up with yet another thousands-year old Chinese martial art master technique that gets destroyed by a Japanese übermensch in just about ten pages.

Retsu will keep fighting even with a peg-head.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh my god it's Peg-Pelvis Retsu

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New volume was scanlated. Retsu is gonna win by throwing tooth sand at Musashi's face

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Gaia did the same fighting against one of the prisoners.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nunchucks are cool and i remember button mashing in soul calibur so good luck retsu

tough is a bit dumb in that kiichi has already beaten the strongest person in the series so its a bit silly he's still fighting all the time and not stomping them

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Read all of Baki that I could find, read all of New Baki, haven't read Son of Ogre/Baki Dou yet. One question: Does Orochi Doppo still own fools? and does he continue to get increasingly hosed up every series? I mean goddamn, the man loses an eye and gets heart-death-punched, then next series he gets his hand cut off, put back on, his face blown up, and continues to be one of the most powerful jolly punchmen around.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Sadly he doesn't have a huge role after New anymore. I don't even think he was in any major fights.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

K. Flaps posted:

Sadly he doesn't have a huge role after New anymore. I don't even think he was in any major fights.

In Bakidou he fights Musashi and gets loving owned it was sad. Nothing big like his fights against Dorian or even Arai Jr. though.

I agree, though. Not-Mas Ooyama owns.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he fights muhammad ali

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's a spinoff starring him but it wasn't scanned yet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There's a spinoff starring him but it wasn't scanned yet.

:captainpop:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Reminder there is also a oneshot spinoff where Baki and his girlfriend have sex that's drawn and formatted pretty much exactly like a fight scene

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only translated Spinoff around is the one where Hanayama fishes a giant shark and beats a 5-meter tall retard.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The only translated Spinoff around is the one where Hanayama fishes a giant shark and beats a 5-meter tall retard.

Is that also the one where he fights the immensely powerful midget

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

We just need to have a spin off of Orochi punching people, smiling while punching people, getting injured in horrific ways only to be repaired again and then punching more people.

AnonSpore posted:

Reminder there is also a oneshot spinoff where Baki and his girlfriend have sex that's drawn and formatted pretty much exactly like a fight scene

:psyduck:

Huh, is there a link for this hilarity?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kuros posted:

We just need to have a spin off of Orochi punching people, smiling while punching people, getting injured in horrific ways only to be repaired again and then punching more people.

:psyduck:

Huh, is there a link for this hilarity?

I'm pretty sure it's never been translated, and I dunno if it's scanned or not (I read it in a magazine) but this is what you'd want to look for.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=15840

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

AnonSpore posted:

Is that also the one where he fights the immensely powerful midget

Magic psycho midget.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kuros posted:

And then going fishing. Everyone must have a fishing chapter in their spinoff.

AnonSpore posted:

I laughed my rear end off when Baki and his girlfriend were about to get intimate for the first time then Yujiro is just standing there behind them going "What's this romantic bullshit? You haven't put it in yet? You pansy. Your girl better make a strong grandkid or I'll kill her like I killed your mom. Well, I'll leave you kids to it. Toodles"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Archenteron posted:

And then going fishing. Everyone must have a fishing chapter in their spinoff.

I laughed my rear end off when Baki and his girlfriend were about to get intimate for the first time then Yujiro is just standing there behind them going "What's this romantic bullshit? You haven't put it in yet? You pansy. Your girl better make a strong grandkid or I'll kill her like I killed your mom. Well, I'll leave you kids to it. Toodles"

And the later reveal that Yuujirou is secretly super proud of Baki and just really, really sucks at expressing it. :allears:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

And the later reveal that Yuujirou is secretly super proud of Baki and just really, really sucks at expressing it. :allears:

Baki the Grappler: Daddy issues all the way down

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

retsu is going to get owned

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Wonder who's going to get owned after him... Jack Hammer? Maybe Biscuit Oliva?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pickle seems the obvious choice. prehistoric man vs miyamoto musashi

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Who the hell is the guy on the last panel of chapter 62?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Retsu without his ponytail.