Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So if I'm really diggin' the M41 - the next logical step would be to attain the Scorpion, right? Because right out of the box the M41 has been more enjoyable then all the other tanks I've played (except the Dragoon. That poo poo is tight).

Also whats the best way to get an invite to any goon clan? Jump on Vent/TS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stringbean posted:

So if I'm really diggin' the M41 - the next logical step would be to attain the Scorpion, right? Because right out of the box the M41 has been more enjoyable then all the other tanks I've played (except the Dragoon. That poo poo is tight).

For the Scorpion, keep in mind HE is much better for actual damage than HESH. HESH is just kinda poo poo and hurts modules, thats it.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lmao the go-fast tanks are so much more suited to this game's meta than the MBT's it's stupid. RIP MBTs.
'
Yet reading the official forums its the exact opposite, and MBT's dominate the world :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 13, 2015

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Probably because in the real world, those vehicles are used almost exclusively for slinging HE to support infantry or engaging enemy AFVs with HEAT. They don't normally carry AP because the only things that would require AP are MBTs, and when one of those is encountered they are typically supposed to retreat.

This being an arcade tank game though, they give you AP so you can fight all the MBTs you encounter. The reason it's at the end is because its quite potent for the tier and lets you punch through the front hull armor of all the MBTs at that tier.

its AP has less pen than all of the tier 3 MBTs, not sure how that's quite potent for its tier

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Jack_tripper posted:

its AP has less pen than all of the tier 3 MBTs, not sure how that's quite potent for its tier

MBTs have the most Pen out of all the tanks I believe. Also I free xped to the ERC-90 this little tank is fun as hell.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Spaseman posted:

The LAV-300 and Dragoon both gate AP ammo way back. The LAV is even worse because of how much exp you need for the unlock.

The LAV-300 starts out as a limp dick, but once you get AP, you are a wrecking ball.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Yet reading the official forums its the exact opposite, and MBT's dominate the world :(

That's because people see armor and firepower and turn off their brains. Tanks are good for getting in there and slugging it out, but the other vehicles are very flexible and underrated. I used to think the Scorpion was fun, but crappy, until I learned to play it. Now I can do just as well in it as I can in an MBT.

Autocannons are kind of difficult to use well, but then the vehicles with autocannons get amazing speed, good spotting, and access to ATGMs.

It's nice that all the trees are valid and very few have turds in them, unlike other games.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm still having trouble finding good spotting points for AFVs.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

You can't really just sit in a bush and passive scout like in WoT (I mean you can, but it seems way easier to spot scouts in bushes in this game). There are some maps where that can fly but most the time youll spot by actively driving around, playing peaking games, and just fighting.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BadLlama posted:

MBTs have the most Pen out of all the tanks I believe. Also I free xped to the ERC-90 this little tank is fun as hell.

MBTs generally have the least pen outside of the autocannon AFVs.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

arty queue in a nutshell

5 mins later...

Tier 4 MBT is an almost instant game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BadLlama posted:

You can't really just sit in a bush and passive scout like in WoT (I mean you can, but it seems way easier to spot scouts in bushes in this game). There are some maps where that can fly but most the time youll spot by actively driving around, playing peaking games, and just fighting.

I'll give it a shot again later, I suppose. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around AFVs because a lot of their class elements seem contradictory. Then again, I've only played them up to tier 3, so maybe they get more intuitive at higher tiers.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Snakes in a can posted:

arty queue in a nutshell

5 mins later...

Tier 4 MBT is an almost instant game.

i like it this way because 2 cap arty per side is the perfect amount and gently caress anyone that says otherwise. in EA they messed around with the cap at one point and even at 3 per side it quickly devolved into a poo poo show of arty taking over the match. if you want to play arty expect to wait or play arty in WoT.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

If you knock over trees, it creates a "bush" for you. More knocked over trees between you and the enemy gives you more camo too.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Warbadger posted:

MBTs generally have the least pen outside of the autocannon AFVs.

Light tanks have worse pen than equal MBTs for almost all of them, the tds have pen equal to or higher than most MBT minus the T series. AFV get high pen missiles but those are heat mechanics and not great.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

AFV get high pen missiles but those are heat mechanics and not great.

Missiles are perfectly accurate, so it's actually a lot easier to hit weak spots than with shells. Missiles don't deviate at range, and you can aim for other weak spots if the target turns.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lmao the go-fast tanks are so much more suited to this game's meta than the MBT's it's stupid. RIP MBTs.

MBTs are the best tank by far and by tier 6 other types become increasingly hard to play and lovely.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Missiles are perfectly accurate, so it's actually a lot easier to hit weak spots than with shells. Missiles don't deviate at range, and you can aim for other weak spots if the target turns.

I think I just personally don't like them much, it is funny when you nail someone for huge alpha though.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
So uh, I unlocked the BMD-1.

This thing :wtc: it carries 30 missiles (387 damage 481 pen) and 54 shells (295 damage 183 pen HEAT). That's... that's stock ammo...

By comparison, the Swingfire carries.. 30 missiles. Literally the first game with it I killed 11 loving PvE tanks with one hit taken. And I was loving around with ATGMs almost the entire match.

How the gently caress is this a scout?

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Evil_Greven posted:

Well, you see, might as well KILL the thing you found :smuggo:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Stringbean posted:

Also whats the best way to get an invite to any goon clan? Jump on Vent/TS?

The BMP-1 is pretty good, it's HEAT shells hit surprisingly hard for a 73mm gun. It has essentially 0 gun depression though, so watch out for bumps.
I didn't care for the Scorpion much, I seemed to have terrible luck in mine. I just never seemed to get the high damage hits it needed. My favorite was hitting an enemy scorpion for 90 while he hit for over 300, killed two crew and broke poo poo. I might go back to it at some point, I was really feeling it in an earlier test.
The Sheridan is a pile of fun though. You have HEAT for real tanks, HE for small stuff and missiles for distance. The only downside is the long rear end reload on it. 12+ seconds for the gun and 20s on the missile.

There are only two things I have issues with in the game. I think everything needs more health, it feels like everything dies too fast. it feels like anything that isn't a MBT is generally in 3 shot territory at equal tier. The second is I don't like the spotting system, it feels really hard to be stealthy. The ring system and camo meter looks nice, but doesn't seem to actually tie into what is going on. I'm sure this is generally my unfamiliarity with the game and maps though.

Also, smoke being limited to a single use a round is bull, I want to pop victory smoke.

Evil_Greven posted:

So uh, I unlocked the BMD-1.

This thing :wtc: it carries 30 missiles (387 damage 481 pen) and 54 shells (295 damage 183 pen HEAT). That's... that's stock ammo...

By comparison, the Swingfire carries.. 30 missiles. Literally the first game with it I killed 11 loving PvE tanks with one hit taken. And I was loving around with ATGMs almost the entire match.

Yea, the BMD-1 is incredible. Also what is nice is the missiles are tube launched so it can shoot things while waiting on missiles. I watch one carry a game because it would plink a MBT with HE until the tank left cover, then they would eat a missile.

Missiles sure get a lost less useful once ERA shows up. My Swingfire got dropped into a tier 6 pve match and there was a tank I couldn't damage, every shot was stopped. I assume those are limited or something

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 13, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

There are two types of scouting that I do. I either sit way in the back with retro-fit binocs, spotting bonus commanders, etc, and try to light things up, or I use the terrain to get in closer and light things up by peeking over it, marking when I can. You'll get a feel for how close you should get, and when, but as a general rule, don't put yourself into a spot where tanks can yolo right into you without the friendlies behind you having LoS.

Also don't sit in a spot where enemies across the map can shoot the poo poo out of you when you are spotted. Cover from the front don't do you much good when you're getting kidney punched with HEAT.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

CitizenKain posted:

There are only two things I have issues with in the game. I think everything needs more health, it feels like everything dies too fast. it feels like anything that isn't a MBT is generally in 3 shot territory at equal tier. The second is I don't like the spotting system, it feels really hard to be stealthy. The ring system and camo meter looks nice, but doesn't seem to actually tie into what is going on. I'm sure this is generally my unfamiliarity with the game and maps though.

Yea the t64 feels like the IS from wot, in its own tier it lolreks everything and still is somewhat of a threat when bottom tier thanks to its gun alpha. I frequently roll for 500 with HEAT. That's enough to 3 shot myself and every other MBT in tier 4 and some in t5.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

There are two types of scouting that I do. I either sit way in the back with retro-fit binocs, spotting bonus commanders, etc, and try to light things up, or I use the terrain to get in closer and light things up by peeking over it, marking when I can. You'll get a feel for how close you should get, and when, but as a general rule, don't put yourself into a spot where tanks can yolo right into you without the friendlies behind you having LoS.

Also don't sit in a spot where enemies across the map can shoot the poo poo out of you when you are spotted. Cover from the front don't do you much good when you're getting kidney punched with HEAT.

Also if you don't go faster than the first bar of cruise control you don't loose your camo, so you can get close to your spotting position, then carefully creep up to get line of sight on stuff.

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

I'm getting the worst ping spikes when playing this game, followed up by rubberbanding around for 30 seconds. Frankly unplayable for me right now

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, the BMD-1 is incredible. Also what is nice is the missiles are tube launched so it can shoot things while waiting on missiles. I watch one carry a game because it would plink a MBT with HE until the tank left cover, then they would eat a missile.

Missiles sure get a lost less useful once ERA shows up. My Swingfire got dropped into a tier 6 pve match and there was a tank I couldn't damage, every shot was stopped. I assume those are limited or something

Aim for the same spot and the ERA plating will be gone there (may be more or less hard-as-balls to pull off when using the ATGMs though).

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
What modifiers from firepower retrofits actually apply to ATGMs?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Afaik, ERA adds a shitton of shaped charge (and a bit of AP) resistance depending on model and has a set chance to just outright nullify a HEAT-type impact even if it had heoretically enough pen. In return, each section of it on a tank has its own module hp that can be eroded by its until the entire part is no longer protected. IIRC it took two HEAT shells fom my Sheridan to wreck a section on the front of a (PVE bot) Bradley that way.

Also, later ATGMs get tandem-warheads that are much less likely to be entirely nullified. Cage/slat armor works much the same and doesn't degrade, but is a lot less effective overall.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ugh why the gently caress do you get zero credits/xp if you leave a match before you die. PvE battle, I'm arty, other 4 die horribly and I'm not going to wait around for 2 minutes to lose so I just leave, and what? gently caress you. I had 6 kills too. gently caress this stupid poo poo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ERA Sections only work once on each spot. Non-ERA is not as effective but always work. Cages almost always work but are usually only on the side. Active Protection Systems like the Trophy can shoot down incoming missiles from any directions but only a few times with a cooldown. The highest tier tanks get unlimited uses that have a really long cooldown.

Most ERA is not present on turrets, same goes for cages. Protection systems still work there.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Server just went down for a hotfix.

Armored Whorefare posted:

List of Update 0.9.1490 Changes

Corrected the "Authentication Failed" issue that prevented a number of players from connecting to the game
Corrected the "Lost Premium Time" issue - remaining premium time should now display properly
Corrected the issue where Battalions could invite only 50 players instead of 100
Corrected the issue where game settings and screenshots were not being saved correctly in some cases
Improvements to French, German and Polish game localization

I guess I should go to bed now. :(

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Are the goon powers that be combining the goon battalions?

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.

Bingo posted:

I'm getting the worst ping spikes when playing this game, followed up by rubberbanding around for 30 seconds. Frankly unplayable for me right now

Check to make sure your my.com client isn't set to continue distributing the game files after download is completed. My roommate had to physically unplug my network cable while I was at work because it ate up all the bandwidth.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you go into the installer there's also a button to delete the installation files so that's a bonus too.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Ambaire posted:

Ugh why the gently caress do you get zero credits/xp if you leave a match before you die. PvE battle, I'm arty, other 4 die horribly and I'm not going to wait around for 2 minutes to lose so I just leave, and what? gently caress you. I had 6 kills too. gently caress this stupid poo poo.

To stop people loading in to a game then leaving as it starts to do the same in every other tank and get a steady trickle of xp. If you want out of the game when the rest of your team has died drive forward to the red team and they will end your game for you.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Oh, I'm getting a bit sick of these broken smoke effects. Maybe I should upgrade to HD."

The upgrade broke and now thinks it's been updated, even though it apparently hasn't? Welp, time to reinstall everything. I was supposed to write an essay tonight anyway. :v:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Alright Iv'e been playing for a few days now and I reached the Starship. Reading around this thing has a bad reputation but It seems ok to me. Putting 500 alpha shots into enemies is p. nice but otherwise it seems like an M60 with a bigger gun, also HEAT mechanics are pretty wonky especially once you take into account any higher tier enemies with ERA. What is peoples problem with this tank, I'm not very good but I do better in this than the M60, which I thought was a very average feeling tank.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It got pretty weak armor / huge weakspots for its tier (mostly the cupola), but if you are pro at slinging heat it's pretty scary.

Mostly a fatter Sheridan.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I free XP'd past the first leopard and M60. Having to free XP past poo poo was one of my least favorite parts of WoT, but I don't feel bad in this case because I'm just tired of playing T-55s, T-62s, M48s, Leopard 1s, etc. in these games. Thankfully, it didn't cost much. Thankfully, I'm enjoying the hell out of the OF and the Starship.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

Alright Iv'e been playing for a few days now and I reached the Starship. Reading around this thing has a bad reputation but It seems ok to me. Putting 500 alpha shots into enemies is p. nice but otherwise it seems like an M60 with a bigger gun, also HEAT mechanics are pretty wonky especially once you take into account any higher tier enemies with ERA. What is peoples problem with this tank, I'm not very good but I do better in this than the M60, which I thought was a very average feeling tank.

Maybe the M60's decent armor and reload fools people into trying to stand and fight, whereas the Starship's massive weak points and reload speed gives you no choice but to alpha and retreat. Leading to better results overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm having the hardest time understanding armor dynamics in this game. it feels very different from WoT so I'm not sure where is okay to hit and where isn't. cupolas and poo poo I'm used to aiming for don't seem to be viable targets. what am I doing wrong?

• Locked thread