Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

learnincurve posted:

I'm not surprised and in all fairness to the red bull formula 1 team it's nothing to do with them. Red bull are like a virus, they infect a small poo poo team, invest unlimited money in it with only advertising space to gain and then win. then they go for the commercial rights. If they start to lose then they pull out and move on. This method has worked very well with rallying and it must have royally pissed Honda off because their civic got whomped and it would have had a massive impact on the parent companies sales and this is the poo poo that actually matters to car companies.

It should be noted that Red bull racing just won Bathurst using this method for fucks sake.
Has their involvement with rallying actually been a financial success for them, though? I know they've won everything in sight for a what seems like a decade and a half now, but rallying is absolutely moribund these days. They're spending a fortune to lord it up over a dead sport.

Also we like to have fun in this thread and call everyone and everything in sight a fraud (apart from Scud Stud Super Seb Vettel, obvs.), but all jokes aside, rallying is loving crap now holy poo poo and it's all Red Bull's fault. These supposed world championship rallies are piss-weak compared to fourth or fifth tier events from the 70s and 80s, it's absurd. And poorly attended, to boot. It looks like it's going to keep getting worse too, what with Red Bull out to turn what's left of its corpse into STADIUM XTREME! WUB WUB WUB LOAD UP THE BASSCANNON Travis Pastrana X-Games shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm Crap posted:

These supposed world championship rallies are piss-weak compared to fourth or fifth tier events from the 70s and 80s, it's absurd.

It's fairly bad that I do TSD rallies in a 30 year old car and my codriver is of the opinion that what we do is more interesting than current WRC.

I always find it curious that despite Red Bull being so heavily involved in Rally they seem to have zero idea what made it great. They always seem to want to introduce some sort of head to head element and focus on shorter stages that are more digestible but that's never been what Rally was about.

To me it was always about being put through a meat grinder with huge stages where any mistake would mean a DNF or worse kill you, your codriver or an onlooker but you had to put your foot down through every corner because there's a million psychopaths lined up behind you and the only thing the teams care about is the manufacturers title and you're out of the car if you're too slow.

They keep arguing that they need to condense things for TV viewers but look at WEC. That series is a cluster gently caress with four different classes racing together over 6+ hours. But they worked and put together a decent app where you can follow the racing throughout the field and magically its had a surge in popularity. Red Bull will never figure that out for WRC and its depressing as gently caress.

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

It's fairly bad that I do TSD rallies in a 30 year old car and my codriver is of the opinion that what we do is more interesting than current WRC.

I always find it curious that despite Red Bull being so heavily involved in Rally they seem to have zero idea what made it great. They always seem to want to introduce some sort of head to head element and focus on shorter stages that are more digestible but that's never been what Rally was about.

To me it was always about being put through a meat grinder with huge stages where any mistake would mean a DNF or worse kill you, your codriver or an onlooker but you had to put your foot down through every corner because there's a million psychopaths lined up behind you and the only thing the teams care about is the manufacturers title and you're out of the car if you're too slow.

They keep arguing that they need to condense things for TV viewers but look at WEC. That series is a cluster gently caress with four different classes racing together over 6+ hours. But they worked and put together a decent app where you can follow the racing throughout the field and magically its had a surge in popularity. Red Bull will never figure that out for WRC and its depressing as gently caress.

Well, I think they are reacting to Rallycross. Its growing, and its short, easy watch, easy to get into, etc.

I don't agree with the direction, but that is their mindset.

And WEC is just so loving good.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Unfortunatly he's making some oh his money back because he found someone desperate enough to pay a small fortune for the exclusive rights in the uk - BT sport. Which shows you how much of a poo poo he gives because formula 1 fans have sky.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tsaedje posted:

Honda already refused. I can see Red Bull managing to sell Toro Rosso to someone who hasn't totally pissed off Renault

There's apparently a supply of 2015 Ferraris for STR if they want them.

Red Bull are just pulling a "2 teams or no teams" thing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Billy the Mountain posted:

I'm a reasonable man, I really am. I've been pulling for Williams for the last 4 seasons. After this race I now have an undying hate for Kimi.
Kimi was just making it up to Force India for DREAM CRUSHING them at Spa in 2009.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Payndz posted:

Kimi was just making it up to Force India for DREAM CRUSHING them at Spa in 2009.

I think that's the only time he dream crushed anyone by being faster than them, rather than the multiple times he did it crashing into the back of drivers because he's poo poo

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34513738

:lol:

Maybe you wouldn't be "forced" out of the sport if you had sorted out a new engine supplier before you dumped your current one part way through the contract and publicly shat on them. As usual with Red Bull it's anyone else's fault but their own, good riddance.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

willcrouch posted:

Well, I think they are reacting to Rallycross. Its growing, and its short, easy watch, easy to get into, etc.

I don't agree with the direction, but that is their mindset.

And WEC is just so loving good.

Trying to turn WRC into Rallycross is a fool's errand.

If they really wanted to get poo poo going, bring back old classics like the Safari Rally and San Remo.

And take it back to a Group B spec ruleset for the car, just with better safety measures to avoid another Toivonen.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tsaedje posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34513738

:lol:

Maybe you wouldn't be "forced" out of the sport if you had sorted out a new engine supplier before you dumped your current one part way through the contract and publicly shat on them. As usual with Red Bull it's anyone else's fault but their own, good riddance.

Agreed OP.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
News summery since the race:

Red bull might actually be hosed

Ferrari may take a hit with Kimi to test the 2016 engine next race

next year Pirelli are going to do some testing with the tyres. Half the races will be with tyres that don't degrade so drivers will be able to race on them, half the races will have tyres that go off very quickly which will force races into three stops and then the FIA/Bernie/the teams will sit down and decide which they want for 2017

Big meeting happening between the engine suppliers as they are not happy about this ban on in-season testing which will lock down the engines during 2016 http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-manufacturers-to-hold-engine-rules-summit/?v=2&s=1

That was the news.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

It's like he really does have the mind of a 14 year old girl half the time.

That race... I don't know, I guess at least both McLarens attritioned (yep, it's now a verb. You're welcome.) their way into points*. Let's be honest, Nico would have hosed up the lead in the next lap or two even if he had the better car, and whatever else happens in the midpack is uninteresting anyway. Kimi looked less bored for a while, then he forgot how to drive. And Eddie Jordan is cringe-inducing as usual.

*Oops, imaginary penalty for Alonso means no.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CratSock posted:

whatever else happens in the midpack is uninteresting anyway.

You were not watching the same race as everyone else my friend.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
What he's saying is he doesn't care what happens down the order, which is a complaint that many in the thread share, but isn't remotely a valid one against the sport itself.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah man I suffered, suffered, through the Schumacher era, and not even the copious amounts of weed I smoked at the time helped block out the pain, following the med field was my only joy and it's a habit that's hard to break.

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

The midfield is the only refuge in a sport which has had a dominate team for the last... 6 years currently and something around 90% of all seasons.

People need to accept that dominance happens, and is lost and watch the middle.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

willcrouch posted:

The midfield is the only refuge in a sport which has had a dominate team for the last... 6 years currently and something around 90% of all seasons.

People need to accept that dominance happens, and is lost and watch the middle.

Once I figured this out I discovered the true beauty of the sport wasn't who won. But figuring out who was the most massive fraud. lewis, it's lewis

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Lol if you don't have your own #megajet

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If I were to divorce my (very hypothetical) wife I wouldn't whine if no one else wanted to marry me instantly.

Red Bull should have started an affair with a different engine supplier before they broke up with Renault.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You would have thought Christian Horner would have realised that.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

RALF posted:

Red Bull should have started an affair with a different engine supplier before they broke up with Renault.

Red Bull called its current wife a useless old slag, not to her face, but in front of all her friends and family.

Then it started flirting with younger, better looking models who all turned it down because they had just watched it publically shame its wife. Now it's sat crying and wanking in the corner because the only way it can get a new girlfriend is to pay a fortune for some aged, useless old hag or publically make up with its ex-wife. Even if she does get back with it, it will never be the same.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

You would have thought Christian Horner would have realised that.

Brainwrong posted:

Red Bull called its current wife a useless old slag, not to her face, but in front of all her friends and family.

Then it started flirting with younger, better looking models who all turned it down because they had just watched it publically shame its wife. Now it's sat crying and wanking in the corner because the only way it can get a new girlfriend is to pay a fortune for some aged, useless old hag or publically make up with its ex-wife. Even if she does get back with it, it will never be the same.

lmao

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That was a beautiful thing I just read, won't somebody think of the four little trophies :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

learnincurve posted:

That was a beautiful thing I just read, won't somebody think of the four little trophies :(

Renault was only ever a trophy wife. No trophies, no wife.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So who is Red Bull's half wife/half daughter that secret family they are hiding in the basement from Renault?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

1500quidporsche posted:

So who is Red Bull's half wife/half daughter that secret family they are hiding in the basement from Renault?

Torro Rosso

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Kilonum posted:

Torro Rosso

The good redbull team you mean?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kilonum posted:

Torro Rosso

Fair enough. Max Verstappen does look like the love child of an 80 year old man and his daughter that has never left the basement.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The best part about red bull loving off is that we won't have to see their poo poo drivers anymore

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

El Hefe posted:

The best part about red bull loving off is that we won't have to see their poo poo drivers anymore

Mods! MODS! Ban him!

He said Ricciardo was poo poo. Rivals.com puns, and curiously bad ones at that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah sure hope we get more pay drivers like Pastor "going to kill someone" Maldonado instead of young talented guys that have long career potential in the sport.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Pastor is a lad with true grit and passion, a driver's driver, a real racer, a champion, a winner, basically what we should all aspire to be.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Until Venezuela stops funding him and no team wants to foot the massive carbon fiber bill he racks up each year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Until Venezuela stops funding him and no team wants to foot the massive carbon fiber bill he racks up each year.

You just figured out his next sponsor.

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

The carbon fiber industry as a whole?

Look at our product. Here it is breaking. And again. And again!

And now in less than a week... BAM! A whole new chassis.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

El Hefe posted:

Pastor is a lad with true grit and passion, a driver's driver, a real racer, a champion, a winner, basically what we should all aspire to be.

Actually he's someone with really bad judgment and racecraft.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

I don't think someone like that would be a race winner so you're wrong.

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think someone like that would be a race winner so you're wrong.

Kimi proves you wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Pastor: they hate us cuz they ain't us
Chavez: *nods*

• Locked thread