Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Toilet Biscuit got cancer again

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

Maybe too much FPS policing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This thread is sooooo bad

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

net cafe scandal posted:

This thread is sooooo bad

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I remember when Nintendo Power docked some points for Mega Man X3 being "too much like other mega man games" being the first time I realized game reviewers didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Oh no, not more of the thing I really like. :(

Well that and the fact that they rarely seem to actually play the game to completion.

Also a weird obsession with subjects like ludonarrative dissonance, Citizen Kane and women's rights.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theultimo posted:

Toilet Biscuit got cancer again

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

Maybe too much FPS policing

but who will make the 27 minute videos about the graphicial options in the latest ubisoft and warnerbros games if he passes?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

but who will make the 27 minute videos about the graphicial options in the latest ubisoft and warnerbros games if he passes?

Ironically, because the cancer is now in his liver, his body is not as good with anisotropic filtering.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

The real answer is that numbered scores are stupit.

Was "buy, rent, or ignore" ever a review system? That's one I could get behind.

At least that's what I would be saying if renting videogames was still possible in tyool 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

At least that's what I would be saying if renting videogames was still possible in tyool 2015

Yes, it failed terribly because people want a number for some reason, look at Games for Windows Magazine back in the day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I rent games at Hastings all the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

You can rent games at a redbox.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

In Training posted:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You can "rent" games at gamestop

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

theultimo posted:

Yes, it failed terribly because people want a number for some reason

the reason is because gamers are awful trash.

the "5 star" review system isn't bad, at least. It's easy to quantify something out of five stars (as long as fractions of stars isn't allowed). A 1 star game is "bad as poo poo", 3 star game means "delightfully average" and five means "really dang good" and its easy to imagine why things would get the in-between scores. Zero stars can be reserved for the Ride to Hells and the Big Rigs or whatever.

It's less clear why a game would get a 6.7. Or a 9.1. Why the hell do we need one hundred divisions of measurement??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/redbox-dvd-rental-business-leaving-canada-1.2947617

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

StoryTime posted:

if only ubisoft could read these posts

When your game takes like 3 hours to beat on average and has no filler, you can go ahead and make another one without "reinventing" anything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mak0rz posted:

Gamefly still exists, doesn't it?

theultimo posted:

Yes, it failed terribly because people want a number for some reason, look at Games for Windows Magazine back in the day.

I have a suspicion that Games for Windows Magazine probably failed for a number of reasons not related to review scores

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

It'd be pretty easy to replace "rent" with "buy used/on sale".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah if i had a rating system it would be
Day 1
Wait for Sale
Skip until almost free
Avoid forever

raditts posted:

I have a suspicion that Games for Windows Magazine probably failed for a number of reasons not related to review scores

yeah they skeletonized the solid computer gaming world staff, rebranded the longest running games magazine with one of the worse gaming brands ever, and doubled the ad pages per issue.

VVV
said listeners to his 3 hour podcasts where they read titles of steam games launching that week

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 15, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paladinus posted:

Ironically, because the cancer is now in his liver, his body is not as good with anisotropic filtering.

The man is dying.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

"hahaha a man has cancer and an estimated two to three years left to live. let's all make jokes about it". go shove that edgy sociopathic "humour" up your asses. loving christ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DETECTIVE VISION claims another game series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7CyFPJKdrw

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Steve2911 posted:

The man is dying.

He is. And it is actually quite sad. I like his videos, even though I always skip the part where he reviews settings for ten minutes. See, he's even got the skip button for that. What more do you need?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Colonel posted:

Mega Man games being too much like each other only becomes a big problem if you're trying to play every drat Mega Man game back to back or something, as I've learned.

I did this and after megaman 3 I can't tell you what happened

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ulvir posted:

"hahaha a man has cancer and an estimated two to three years left to live. let's all make jokes about it". go shove that edgy sociopathic "humour" up your asses. loving christ

Goondolences

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The guys who made Neverwinter Nights helped make a video to stop people from piracy and copy-pasting games in the '90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Taint Reaper posted:

Kept killing robots I would imagine. Speaking of which, I recently went through 1 and 2 again and forgot the "gently caress you" moments in the levels like the end of the appearing/disappearing platform in Heatman's world. That one in particular got me by such surprise I started laughing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Mega Man fought an evil russian scientist, but then it turned out the russian scientist wasn't evil so he gave him a bird that poked things.

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

ulvir posted:

^

In case it hasn't hit home yet, he didn't get cancer, he's got it AGAIN. He just got over a very hard bout with it, unfortunately it's spread now and the current condition it's in is usually considered quite terminal.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
People deal with death a lot of ways, chill out

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Some ways are not very good or even remotely socially acceptable!! SHOCKER

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't care that the video game man dies

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Ciaphas posted:

Some ways are not very good or even remotely socially acceptable!! SHOCKER

Yeah, and when those people try to express their retarded ways of dealing with it, they will get shouted down by the people who aren't retarded (and rightfully so).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

nerds are a closed minded, bigoted lot to begin with, and game journos are nerds with a badge and status that further reinforces the idea that their opinions are the correct ones always and forever, and surprise, the result is insufferable

who deputized you

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Love Stole the Day posted:

Yeah, and when those people try to express their retarded ways of dealing with it, they will get shouted down by the people who aren't retarded (and rightfully so).

You can be sad that someone is dead or dying and still make jokes about it because it's an entirely natural way of coping and it's usually harmless.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Uncle Karl has a mission for you

Also Darwin is mad about mean political cartoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPW6peVFGw

Seraphna
Oct 12, 2015

GalaxyTrail CM

bloodychill posted:

You can be sad that someone is dead or dying and still make jokes about it because it's an entirely natural way of coping and it's usually harmless.

At least you guys are making jokes. The crowd that came out over twitter nearly drove me to deregister. I had to log out before I started seeing red. TB has to deal with death threats, insults, and lies about his character as responses to making an announcement like this. I still wonder why he even did so.

It's funny, years ago I was left with this impression that SA could be a horrible place and that more outright social media environments were safe places. Total opposite feeling now. I've been around here for less then a week and I'm starting to love you guys. Meanwhile I just want to see places like Twitter burn.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was completely serious, by the way. I like TB's videos and think that goons hate him much more than he deserves.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ulvir posted:

Seraphna posted:

^

In case it hasn't hit home yet, he didn't get cancer, he's got it AGAIN. He just got over a very hard bout with it, unfortunately it's spread now and the current condition it's in is usually considered quite terminal.

When you guys see a person with Forums Cancer to you fall to your knees and shake at the insensitivity of a website making light of people dying or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sure, TB is passionate about ethics in games journalism, consumer rights, and copyright strikes, but imo it's better than writing paid reviews for every new CoD. I hope his liver gets better somehow.

• Locked thread