Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Germ Incubator posted:

Dad and baby looking fresh for press conference

Man, Okada has good taste in suits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

i can't wait for hiroshi tanahashi to defeat EVIL with the power of love at wk11

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
hahaha please let there be a Myzteziz II

edit: whoa wrong thread wtf

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 13, 2015

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Aw, I was kind of hoping Ishii/Honma would be at the dome.

Thauros posted:

The first two rounds of Super Jr tag tournament will take place during the two Korakuen Road to Power Struggle shows and both will be on NJPW World. Ricochet is returning and we'll get to see a weird rear end BC/NWA joint team with Kenny Omega and Chase Owens.

This better mean the return of Bruce Tharpe; it's been way too long since we've had one of his insane promos.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Elgin/Ishii has to be the NEVER match for the Dome right?

@peskyyy pointed out that if either Meiyu Tag or Naito + partner challenge for the tag belts at Dome then the other half of that feud has nothing to do. Given Gedo's boner for booking gaijin vs. gaijin matches in that division I wouldn't be surprised to see the Briscoes win the tag league if they're still slated to be in there.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 13, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Elgin/Ishii has to be the NEVER match for the Dome right?

@peskyyy pointed out that if either Meiyu Tag or Naito + partner challenge for the tag belts at Dome then the other half of that feud has nothing to do. Given Gedo's boner for booking gaijin vs. gaijin matches in that division I wouldn't be surprised to see the Briscoes win the tag league if they're still slated to be in there.

Yeah.

If it's not Los Ingobernables I'm sure the Tag League winners will be faces. Meiyu Tag won last year and is feuding with Naito and friends anyway (I'm guessing EVIL's not considered part of the stable?). The only other face team in NJPW is Ten-Cozy. It kinda has to be an outsider team.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNBXOBkPbqs

Tryouts recruitment trailer. "Healthy men age 18-23 over 180cm (5'11)".

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Thauros posted:

Yeah.

If it's not Los Ingobernables I'm sure the Tag League winners will be faces. Meiyu Tag won last year and is feuding with Naito and friends anyway (I'm guessing EVIL's not considered part of the stable?). The only other face team in NJPW is Ten-Cozy. It kinda has to be an outsider team.

I could see Makabe and Honma getting a push as a tag team if neither one is going to be involved in the NEVER match at WK10.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Lol at the idea of them ever doing anything with tag teams other than the revolving door of outsider challengers

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Watanabe wins with shenanigans, Shibata/Goto vs. Los Ingobernables at WK.

English commentary wasn't the worst, but I'll watch Japanese next time. Striker said something about a "fighting spirit meter" building up with each kickout, like in a video game where your health goes from red to green.

The English commentary wasn't painfully bad, but I didn't feel that Kelly and Striker really gelled at all. There were a lot of times where one of them said something to set the other up for a line but were totally left hanging.

I don't understand a drat word that the Japanese commentators are saying but they definitely build the excitement to what's going on in the ring way more. I like the English commentary for being able to get some backstory on storylines, though, so it really is mixed bag until they nail down the perfect English-language team.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Phenix Rising posted:

The English commentary wasn't painfully bad, but I didn't feel that Kelly and Striker really gelled at all. There were a lot of times where one of them said something to set the other up for a line but were totally left hanging.

I don't understand a drat word that the Japanese commentators are saying but they definitely build the excitement to what's going on in the ring way more. I like the English commentary for being able to get some backstory on storylines, though, so it really is mixed bag until they nail down the perfect English-language team.

Yeah, as much as I'm not a fan of Striker, if they're going to do Eng. comm with him at least have it be the same two so they have a chance to get better and gel.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gotta be honest. Watching wrestling, any wrestling, kind of picked me up after not paying attention to it for the summer.

Wrestling is awesome!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

BigRed0427 posted:

Gotta be honest. Watching wrestling, any wrestling, kind of picked me up after not paying attention to it for the summer.

Wrestling is awesome!

Good and fun wrestling is a gateway to other good and fun wrestling. It may be way I abstain from watching PWG, ROH, and other indies regularly. I could just never keep up with so much of it, especially with DVD prices for so many events.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Good and fun wrestling is a gateway to other good and fun wrestling. It may be way I abstain from watching PWG, ROH, and other indies regularly. I could just never keep up with so much of it, especially with DVD prices for so many events.

Well the reason I stopped is that I just lost interest because of a combination of depression and exhaustion. I think i'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel though. Combination of things improving at work and coming to terms with some personal things.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

BigRed0427 posted:

Well the reason I stopped is that I just lost interest because of a combination of depression and exhaustion. I think i'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel though. Combination of things improving at work and coming to terms with some personal things.

Glad to hear things are turning around for you! It is nice when things start to fall back into place and you can again enjoy the things you used to enjoy.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Glad to hear things are turning around for you! It is nice when things start to fall back into place and you can again enjoy the things you used to enjoy.

Thanks. Life in general is going to be weird for me for the foreseeable future. I'm sure i'll be fine as long as I have men fake fighting.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

From the Observer:

Bad News:

quote:

But there is going to the well once too often and New Japan is clearly past its peak, its top stars are physically beaten up. While still able to produce excellent matches on big shows, you can clearly see the difference in wrestlers like Tanahashi and Tomohiro Ishii due to the punishment they’ve taken in recent years, to where they may have to eventually join the likes of Yuji Nagata and Satoshi Kojima in the multiple-man prelims at some point, although with Tanahashi, just on name value, it will probably be some time before that happens. More importantly, the new stars aren’t there, and even if recruiting gets to the level of the 70s, 80s and 90s New Japan, it takes years before those dividends pay off. If New Japan had surpassed WWE as a model of booking and growing a fading wrestling business, WWE’s greater foresight with the emphasis on developmental has put it in far better position for the long run no matter the in-ring product quality.

There is the feeling of sameness in New Japan right now, as exemplified in some ways by the King of Pro Wrestling show on 10/12 at Tokyo Sumo Hall. There was only one bad match on the show, and by most standards, it was a very good major event. But it was lacking compared to similar big shows in recent years. The banged up bodies from G-1 had clearly not recovered. Besides Tanahashi and Ishii, Tomoaki Honma, with a bad back, was limited and was nowhere near his usual level. Shinsuke Nakamura, one of the world’s best wrestlers, worked a short six-man tag and was barely in, even though KOPW is considered one of the company’s major events of the year.

The Sumo Hall show drew 8,302 paid, and had about 9,000 in the building. It was just shy of a sellout. New Japan had sold the building out in advance for last year’s show (Tanahashi vs. Styles; Okada vs. Naito), as well as Invasion Attack in April (Styles vs. Kota Ibushi; Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale), so it’s down from the peak, but still ahead of everything from probably 2005 until that point.

:smith:

Good News:

Ricochet's clear to work NJPW as long as it doesn't conflict with LU tapings;

Snowflakes:

Juniors vs. Young Lions - ***
Honma vs. YOSHI-HASHI - **3/4
Ten-Cozy,Nagata,Nakanishi vs. Shibata/Goto/Ibushi/Captain - ***
reDRagon vs. RPG Vice - ***1/4
Kenny Omega vs. Matt Sydal - ***1/2
Nakamura/YTR/Saku vs. MGKA/Gallows/Fale
Ishii vs. Makabe - ****
Tanahashi vs. Naito - ****
Okada vs. Styles - ****1/2

:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
They really need to start pushing guys like Shibata, Naito and Goto if their other guys are getting beaten up that badly. There is great potential in all of them, and they seem to have finally put some effort into Naito's angle, but Goto and Shibata have really gone nowhere for a long time in preference of keeping the top guys hot.

Things NJPW needs to do:

Break up the Bullet Club and Chaos. Make new tag teams from the constituent members of those groups or let them go solo. Right now those groups barely exist, and when they do it is purely as a vehicle for the top guys in their group and does nothing to help those lower down. Cody Hall can still knock about with his BC buddies even if the group is not together out of a "I am not a part of your system here" sort of thing, giving him some character. Chaos is stale as poo poo, I have been watching NJPW for 2 and a half years maybe and not once have I ever cared about them as a team, only as individuals. They could be doing more with their roster if more of them were allowed to feud with one another without the limitation of "I am in this group you are in too". A KA-Style feud, or a Nakamura-Okada feud would be worth watching.

Stop putting the IC belt on Nakamura. Just put him at the top of the card with the others guys on his level instead of making him sit in the upper-mid, blocking the development of lower guys. Give that belt to Goto, Shibata, Naito, Ibushi or KA and let guys from that group and only them fight over it.

Revitalize the tag teams. The BC is stale, break 'em up. Introduce more new teams, or give those from the past a better chance.

Bring Suzuki-Gun back to NJPW. They are like a quarter of the roster, who they are paying and not putting on any shows which get worldwide exposure.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 16, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
It's real easy to say "this is what they should do" but there's business and political reasons why a lot of it isn't happening.

I think the second try at a Naito main event push is coming in 2016.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spermgod posted:

It's real easy to say "this is what they should do" but there's business and political reasons why a lot of it isn't happening.

I'm guessing Ibushi's reason is "still works for DDT"? Otherwise he'd be a great choice to take up the mantle for a new IC mainstay.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Yeah, the writing on the wall is that they are coming up with roughly 1 new homegrown guy/year, which is obviously way too slow for turnover. They're patching holes with gaijin and I guess they could just absorb all the NOAH talent in for an emergency boost.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Are non-tag multimans and/or gimmick matches so antithetical to the Puro style to be out of the question for NJPW? It seems odd to me that when you're having trouble creating interest when you're running the same pairings for the 3rd or 4th time in a short period you don't even consider adding a stipulation or a 3rd man or something to freshen the matchup up a bit. Gimmicks like street fights could also help with disguising the limitations of guys who are beat up and can't go as much anymore.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Blasmeister posted:

Are non-tag multimans and/or gimmick matches so antithetical to the Puro style to be out of the question for NJPW? It seems odd to me that when you're having trouble creating interest when you're running the same matchups for the 3rd or 4th time in a short period you don't even consider adding a stipulation or a 3rd man or something to freshen the matchup up a bit. Gimmicks like street fights could also help with disguising the limitations of guys who are beat up and can't go as much anymore.

In Puro gimmicks are the realm of deathmatch wrestlers, aside from various shoot style ruleset matches, which obviously are only worked by a certain type of worker as well. Triple threats just nearly never happen.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Spermgod posted:

I think the second try at a Naito main event push is coming in 2016.

I know that, but surely you can see where I am coming from with Chaos and the BC limiting their options now.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

sticklefifer posted:

I'm guessing Ibushi's reason is "still works for DDT"? Otherwise he'd be a great choice to take up the mantle for a new IC mainstay.

It's impossible to say for sure but their track record of pushing Japanese outsiders isn't good.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Another Person posted:

I know that, but surely you can see where I am coming from with Chaos and the BC limiting their options now.

The BC thing I at least understand because of all the merchandise they move, I can't imagine Chaos are selling a ton of those DVDs though. Although I've never got the impression that that stable has prevented them from running the matches they want to, so I don't know if it's that big a deal.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The most puzzling underpushed guy to me is Tama Tonga. He's a guy who came up through their system and is clearly far more talented than his push, but he's been slotted at that designated jobber level for years now. Most other guys you can find a reason why they aren't pushed beyond a certain level - mostly either they're not seen as NJPW Guys (Honma, Ishii, Ibushi, Shibata) or not very good (YOSHI-HASHI, Yujiro - and hell even he got a chance with the heel turn and NEVER reign).

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

:agreed: Push Tama Tonga. Dude can move and has the best look in wrestling.

If Suzuki Gun can return after successfully killing another promotion, that might give NJPW a shot in the arm. They have been gone most a year at this point and they have members to slot into every division.

Shibata's early run in the G1 was massively over and I think the crowd really wants to go with him, but the push just isn't there. They could easily have a new main event star if they just commit.

Lastly, fire Makabe into the sun.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

It's impossible to say for sure but their track record of pushing Japanese outsiders isn't good.

Minoru Suzuki is the one counter example that I wish would show that even if you don't put the big title on them you can at least give them important main event matches.

I really hope he comes back to NJPW next year as there's really no point in him sticking around NOAH after the conclusion of this angle.

Suzuki vs. Ibushi would a fresh matchup that could be great.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

The most puzzling underpushed guy to me is Tama Tonga. He's a guy who came up through their system and is clearly far more talented than his push, but he's been slotted at that designated jobber level for years now. Most other guys you can find a reason why they aren't pushed beyond a certain level - mostly either they're not seen as NJPW Guys (Honma, Ishii, Ibushi, Shibata) or not very good (YOSHI-HASHI, Yujiro - and hell even he got a chance with the heel turn and NEVER reign).

If Tonga stopped drinking so much he would be higher in the cards.

Grainbarn
Jul 2, 2007

What the fuck did I do?

Thauros posted:

Suzuki vs. Ibushi would a fresh matchup that could be great.

I very much want this to be a thing.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Wait, why isn't Ishii seen as a NJPW guy?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Wait, why isn't Ishii seen as a NJPW guy?

He was a WAR guy, then a Toruymon guy, then a Riki Pro guy.

To put it in context, he debuted in 1996, didn't show up in NJPW until 2004, and didn't start regularly working for them till 2006 when he joined GBH.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Day one of NOAH's Global League was this morning (US time)

(results thanks to PUROLOVE)

Hero couldn't make it due to visa issues. He's scheduled to make it into the country on the 22nd and his matches have NOT been forfeited but rather rescheduled according to STRIGGA. Attendance was only 822 in Korakuen which sounds p loving dreadful.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh and in regards to the possibilities of shaking up NJPW stables:

I'd ideally like to see a shakeup as well as the current situation obviously is getting a bit stale. I've said a few times recently that I'd personally love to see a bit of DG style stable booking in NJPW.

It's tough though. There's no point in breaking up CHAOS (which is more of an affiliation for multiman matches than anything else at this point) unless you turn either Okada or Nakamura heel and have them feud. Turning Okada is kinda questionable since they're trying to make him the new Ace. Turning Nakamura would probably backfire especially when you consider that with their respective comments and gimmicks Okada would be more the natural heel in a feud.

If Suzuki-gun returns they'll be WAY overloaded with heels anyway.

I'm growing tired of BC in their current format but what can you really do? They sell shitloads of merch and are well known among the western fanbase they're trying to grow. The top gaijin should prob be a heel anyway. Maybe they could send part of Bullet Club to NOAH if/when Suzuki and friends return? Wouldn't mind seeing MGKA get a singles run over there.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 17, 2015

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Anyone willing to do a quick writeup on the NOAH roster? I'm familiar with the Suzuki-gun guys but don't really know much about the Japanese side.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Anyone getting the Global League stuff on Dailymotion or w/e it takes?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

people that been posting about when wk10 tix go on sale https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/655525280811872256

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Has anyone here gone to a WK before? I'd really love to but speak no Japanese and would have no idea what I'm doing or where I am. I know you can get AirBnbs and the like with English-speaking guides, but that's about all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He was a WAR guy, then a Toruymon guy, then a Riki Pro guy.

To put it in context, he debuted in 1996, didn't show up in NJPW until 2004, and didn't start regularly working for them till 2006 when he joined GBH.

So in context he's been there for his entire adult life

• Locked thread