Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Basically all comic book nerds are horrible, even me especially me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Flash Season 2 - Arrow Season 3 chat

Laurel was kicking butt and pulling shotguns on Deathloks back in Season One, then she got drunk in Season Two and couldn't fight for poo poo in Season Three. Since they couldn't make up their mind whether she could fight or not they should've gone with Laurel Lance: Drunken Master instead.

That Flash show is also pretty good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Heathen posted:

Laurel was kicking butt and pulling shotguns on Deathloks back in Season One
The fact that people still believe this is more annoying than anything Laurel has done on the show.

She won one fight in all of season 1. One. Against club bouncers. She failed literally every single other instance of her "kicking butt." She pulled a shotgun on "Deathlok," yes, and it jammed after one shot and made her look like an idiot. And she would've died looking like an idiot if Oliver hadn't arrived.

I really enjoy Laurel but the rose-tinted perspective people have about her season 1 skillz is incredibly bewildering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everything with Sara even being a character, Laurel taking up her name and all that wasn't the original plan for the show. That bar fight is in episode 3, so they made a decision after that to slow down the Black Canary development.

It wouldn't even be a problem, except that they made the way she took the guy down a bit too slick.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm hoping this season is all about Earths 1 and 2, and then at the end of the season they close the big portal but all the little ones then go crazy and each one ends up linking to a different alternate Earth to set up the next season. I'm also really hoping that Barry is done with being a dick and can be a cheerful, optimistic super hero.

I'd wager the mid season finale is Barry getting trapped in Earth 2 or something and having to get back with the help of Wells

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

She won one fight in all of season 1. One. Against club bouncers. She failed literally every single other instance of her "kicking butt." She pulled a shotgun on "Deathlok," yes, and it jammed after one shot and made her look like an idiot. And she would've died looking like an idiot if Oliver hadn't arrived.

Yes, against someone whose job it is to physically remove people from clubs. Compared to a slender woman who works in a law office.

Oliver saved the day because the show is called Arrow, not Arrow and Canary. The point of the scene was to show that she wouldn't just lay down behind a couch and accept her fate like Tommy. And then the hero saved the day. What a novel concept.

Also, you forgot the time she was ambushed by two attackers in her apartment whom she successfully fought off and almost escaped from had it not been for Blaine.

No, Laurel was not a superhero during Season One, but she was definitely not a Damsel in Distress character on the level of Felicity or Thea.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Heathen posted:

Also, you forgot the time she was ambushed by two attackers in her apartment whom she successfully fought off and almost escaped from had it not been for Blaine.
So...she lost. And then got captured.

Almost as if she was...how do you say...in distress, perhaps?

I just don't get how folks can describe, in vivid detail, scenes after scenes in season 1 of Laurel needing to be rescued from fights she couldn't win and then go on about how season 2 and 3 "depowered" her. Not saying she needed to be a melee expert five episodes into the series, or that she was some kind of fragile passive victim...but, at very best, she had an informed characteristic of being "kickass" that didn't actually do her any good whatsoever in the story. Unsurprisingly, there's a trope for that (tm)

All I'm really saying is that she fought exactly as well in s2 and the beginnings of s3 as she's always fought and it's utterly bizarre that people have an impression of anything different.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hey how about we bitch about season 1 Arrow in the Arrow thread and also stick to posting TVTropes links not at all?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did TVT become verboten because I noticed their threads have vanished from PYF? not complaining because the site is super mega ultra creepy.

Anyways, it really bothered me seeing Barry act like an rear end to Jay, it reminded me of Last Man on Earth when Phil started acting like a complete dick to the other last man when he showed up, because the January Jones was more attracted to him than Phil, and he was stuck with Kristen Schaal. It literally soured me on the show so much i stopped watching. Phil went from this lovable loser to being a right dick

It seemed so out of character, Barry being the nicest guy ever, the suddenly, there's another Flash and he's all "hey gently caress you buddy!".

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Did TVT become verboten because I noticed their threads have vanished from PYF? not complaining because the site is super mega ultra creepy.

Anyways, it really bothered me seeing Barry act like an rear end to Jay, it reminded me of Last Man on Earth when Phil started acting like a complete dick to the other last man when he showed up, because the January Jones was more attracted to him than Phil, and he was stuck with Kristen Schaal. It literally soured me on the show so much i stopped watching. Phil went from this lovable loser to being a right dick

It seemed so out of character, Barry being the nicest guy ever, the suddenly, there's another Flash and he's all "hey gently caress you buddy!".

I don't necessarily blame him. The last speedster who helped Barry turned out to be the man responsible for his mother's murder, as well as the main source of all the poo poo that went down throughout the season. Not surprising he'd be less willing to trust someone else who claims to be a speedster or similar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Scyantific posted:

I don't necessarily blame him. The last speedster who helped Barry turned out to be the man responsible for his mother's murder, as well as the main source of all the poo poo that went down throughout the season. Not surprising he'd be less willing to trust someone else who claims to be a speedster or similar.

I could understand the wariness, but he was being a super dick to him. It just felt very out of character.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I could understand the wariness, but he was being a super dick to him. It just felt very out of character.

That bugged me too. I'm glad they didn't drag it out a second longer, and now I'm really looking forward to Flash getting tutored by a Good Flash this season instead of an Evil Flash. Infact, every season he should have a new Flash tutor.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm more irked by Caitlin's thing for Jay. You're being attracted to the wrong Flash :argh:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

twistedmentat posted:

Barry's been a dick since the start of the first season. Like, the team is working with him again, so it sort of gives the illusion that they got that all figured out, but they totally don't. At all. The team isn't back together because he let them back in. They just decided to ignore his petulant complaints.

Barry never actually resolved any of his issues at all. He's still in total CW-Arrow-Brooding-Dick mode from episode 1.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

twistedmentat posted:

I was bothered at first, but it's like Iris pointed out - Barry just hasn't been his normal self lately and it has everything to do with still carrying the guilt over the singularity's destruction. There are actually some deleted scenes from the first episode that are worth watching. I don't get why they were cut because two of them actually give a lot more clarity into Barry's grief, straight from his own mouth.

One with Henry and one with Joe.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why is Caitlin over Ronnie already?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Valeyard posted:

It's been 6 months. She is not "over" him, she is just not a weepy emotional wreck and has started moving on with her life. Why do people constantly expect TV characters to be constantly defined by the loss of other characters months if not years down the line. Sorry but it's just something that keeps coming up (most recently in the Doctor Who thread where people were expecting a character to break down at the mear mention of anyone dying because her boyfriend died a year ago)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Valeyard posted:

You'll note that although physically attracted to Jay, she did not actually pursue a romantic relationship with him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

These make me wonder why Barry didn't just go up to the podium and Flash Day and say that another hero had actually saved the day, but that he'd try and fill their boots in future or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

tsob posted:

These make me wonder why Barry didn't just go up to the podium and Flash Day and say that another hero had actually saved the day, but that he'd try and fill their boots in future or something.

Because a giant threw a food truck at him.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's another fun deleted scene featuring Iris and the Steins.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Valeyard posted:

Did you see those pecs? Dude's got glamour muscles like whoa.

Mr Beens posted:

Why do people constantly expect TV characters to be constantly defined by the loss of other characters months if not years down the line

Almost a century of precedent where pulp characters are continuously defined by a very narrow range of dynamics.

XboxPants posted:

You'll note that although physically attracted to Jay, she did not actually pursue a romantic relationship with him.

Also this. Expect angst about it, and if she does finally give in and tries something out with Jay expect Ronnie to show up just in time for a Legends of Tomorrow crossover ep.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

I'm more irked by Caitlin's thing for Jay. You're being attracted to the wrong Flash :argh:

Jay is much more dreamy than Barry. And since the writers don't seem to be going with Caitlin and Barry, I'm fine with her and Jay.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'd take Barry over Jay, or any of the Amells any day. Although Pied Piper gives him a serious run for his money.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Colonial Air Force posted:

Because a giant threw a food truck at him.

Well I meant more "why wasn't that his plan", given that he turned up late, appeared to be ready to accept the key to the city and to just roll with the assumption he had saved the day rather than simply telling people it wasn't the case.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

tsob posted:

Well I meant more "why wasn't that his plan", given that he turned up late, appeared to be ready to accept the key to the city and to just roll with the assumption he had saved the day rather than simply telling people it wasn't the case.

Barry being an awkward nerd with bad social skills? :monocle:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Jay is much more dreamy than Barry. And since the writers don't seem to be going with Caitlin and Barry, I'm fine with her and Jay.

He reminds me of Bizarro Kevin Sorbo so I've spent the past two episodes confused.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Barry trusted Wells for months and was betrayed by him in the end. This made him angry and bitter. Remember: he's a guy who takes pride in being smart. He is, after all, a top-notch forensics expert.

So lashing out to and being a super dick to Jay is simply his defense mechanism: he wants to protect not just himself but also his friends from another potential betrayal. After all, he also disbanded the team and went off on his own for a while for the exact same reason. I didn't find either behaviors to be out of character. We were simply introduced to another facet of Barry, one that is well within the bounds of credibility.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It makes sense that Flash is all grumpy and bitter, but I really liked the Flash being the relatively light-hearted fun show, and this season it's all angsty and killy.

I mean, that's what Arrow is for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

evenworse username posted:

It makes sense that Flash is all grumpy and bitter, but I really liked the Flash being the relatively light-hearted fun show, and this season it's all angsty and killy.

I mean, that's what Arrow is for.

Last season's Flash was super angsty as well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Barry trusted Wells for months and was betrayed by him in the end. This made him angry and bitter. Remember: he's a guy who takes pride in being smart. He is, after all, a top-notch forensics expert.

So lashing out to and being a super dick to Jay is simply his defense mechanism: he wants to protect not just himself but also his friends from another potential betrayal. After all, he also disbanded the team and went off on his own for a while for the exact same reason. I didn't find either behaviors to be out of character. We were simply introduced to another facet of Barry, one that is well within the bounds of credibility.

Besides we haven't established that The Flash as a show can even survive without major league daddy issues.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Last season's Flash was super angsty as well.

Hey, you can't blame him for having already purged the Barry-Iris-Eddie triangle from his mind. :)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I was bothered at first, but it's like Iris pointed out - Barry just hasn't been his normal self lately and it has everything to do with still carrying the guilt over the singularity's destruction. There are actually some deleted scenes from the first episode that are worth watching. I don't get why they were cut because two of them actually give a lot more clarity into Barry's grief, straight from his own mouth.

One with Henry and one with Joe.

These are amazing scenes and I can sorta get why they were left on the cutting room floor since they weren't part of the main plot, but I really do wish there was a rebroadcast with these in it or put up on Hulu or Netflix or something with these included in since they only improve the episodes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

He reminds me of Bizarro Kevin Sorbo so I've spent the past two episodes confused.

Holy poo poo, THANK YOU. I got the same vibe.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, THANK YOU. I got the same vibe.

Yeah same here, glad someone else posted this.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is Barry supposed to be smart still? Besides a couple episodes in the first season he has to have a genius team to tell him to quit being retarded cause he's the most powerful superhero in the world (probably universe(s)).

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Running kills brain cells. You think he starts every episode with a recap for your benefit?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god.

The shippers refer to a potential Barry/Caitlin romance as "SnowBarry."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

Barry gonna get a Snowjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

And they are crazy as hell! A whole bunch them do nothing but send racial slurs to Candice on twitter, use neonazi buzzwords (ie Barry/Iris fans are "antiwhite"), Photoshop her white and say that's how Iris is supposed to look, harass Candice's fans with racism etc. Fandom is so gross.

• Locked thread