Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, please post all spoilers, properly tagged, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kelp Plankton posted:

so are people just going to keep talking really vaguely about leaks or are they going to actually post this stuff

You could always seek them out yourself, rather than posting them semi-publically on the forums...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Thrawn kills Luke Skywalker

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Wild cards!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Spoiler: There are wars in this movie. Of the star variety?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The aforementioned leak/theory is here: http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/huge-rumor-star-wars-episode-viis-father-sized-moment/

As someone who is a casual Star Wars fan at best...I found that theory to be a little undercooked. It seems like people are just grasping at straws to conjure up some kind of ESB level twist, but I just don't see it. I'm sure Abrams will pull something out of his rear end that people collectively flip their poo poo over, but if it resembles that particular theory in any way, shape or form I'll be extremely surprised.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Kelp Plankton posted:

so are people just going to keep talking really vaguely about leaks or are they going to actually post this stuff

Han discovers early in the story that his long time friend and pet Chewbacca has been banging his wife Proncess Layla and the union resulted in (and in explanation of black people in this galaxy) the bastard offspring Finn. Then towards the end Finn and Rey hook up and give birth to Kylo Ren who goes on to claim his families honor by killin pretty much everyone and puts on a dark side mask to hide his ethnicity out of shame of being half Chewie. He then forms a Natzi-ish gang that wipes out all wookies much like Hitler did with Jews. I think Luke bangs Rey at some point to show his dominance and become pack leader but ultimately I'm gay.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No, this is the one

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

It's a 100% detail summary of the movie. Every scene is included. Assuming it's even true.

It was posted in May 2015 and includes details that hadn't been "shown" prior to last night.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It was posted in May 2015 and includes details that hadn't been "shown" prior to last night.

And what you're saying is those details match what we saw in the trailer, so it seems that this is legit? I'm asking because there's no way I'm looking at that for myself to find out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Basebf555 posted:

And what you're saying is those details match what we saw in the trailer, so it seems that this is legit? I'm asking because there's no way I'm looking at that for myself to find out.

Yeah, a lot of what's on that site seems to jive with several scenes from the trailer last night, so it's possible that a good majority of the spoilers are legit. But of course, they could also be studio subterfuge. Who the hell knows.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The funny thing about it is that they apparently made Mark Hammill just hang out on set for months at a time, when he only has ~90 seconds of screen time, just so they could obfuscate his role in the movie

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I can't say anything about spoilers, but I know a lot of people that work at Pinewood Studios, and they've been incredibly enthusiastic about this movie so make of that what you will. I mean they all think Sam Mendes is a oval office too, so god knows how Spectre will turn out.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I would probably enjoy the movie in those spoilers.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

pahuyuth posted:

Neat. Also, read "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell which was allegedly used as inspiration for Lucas.

Is there a decent Wiki or something that summarizes the extended canon? I'm not looking for spoilers per se, but I'd like to become familiar with some of the stuff that will be seen in the new episode.

Wookieepedia, for all its flaws, is pretty comprehensive. They do tend to wait quite a while until posting full plots of novels/comics though. Whether this is for spoiler reasons or because nobody can be bothered, I don't know.

Feel free to look for the Wookieepedia entries, but I'll try do do quick summaries here. Spoilers follow.

As of now, the canon consists of:

- The movies, obviously.

- Six seasons of The Clone Wars TV show.
Anakin gets a student, Ahsoka Tano, who matures from an insufferable brat to an almost universally loved character over the course of the series. A lot of Obi-Wan's "and he was a good friend" reminiscence is fleshed out in the stories, and Anakin actually becomes a likable character, flaws and all, and not just a creep. After a shaky start, the show is mostly solid from season 3 onwards, and turns surprisingly dark for a kids' show. In the final season we also learn a lot about the nature of the Force and exactly how the Clones are being conditioned, plus what all that Sifo-Dyas stuff was about. Oh, and Darth Maul returns halfway through the show and actually gains a personality.

- Two seasons (ongoing) of the Rebels TV show.
Set ten years before A New Hope. Kanan, a Jedi who survived Order 66 as a padawan and now runs with a gang of smugglers, discovers Ezra, a Force-sensitive kid, and reluctantly decides to train him. They gain the attention of the Empire and the greater Rebellion. By season 2 they have joined the Rebellion proper, and things are heating up. Guest stars include Lando (funny), Tarkin (badass) and Vader (scary as gently caress). More lighthearted than The Clone Wars, and the show carries on a few plot strands from the former series.

Novels:

- Tarkin.
Tarkin and Vader have to work together to foil some rebels. Plus a lot of backstory of young Tarkin learning to be dominant and ruthless. I found it to be a bit boring, honestly.
- A New Dawn.
A prologue to Rebels, describing how Kanan and Hera (the show's pilot) met. A neat adventure, but nothing so far that is a must-read.
- Heir to the Jedi.
Luke, fresh off destroying the Death Star and unsure of how to deal with the huge expectations everyone has of him now, is sent on a mission for the Rebellion, and takes his first steps into learning to master the Force. Light fluffy reading.
- Lords of the Sith.
Vader and Palpatine are stranded on a hostile planet and have to rely on each other for survival, while a group of rebels (led by Hera's dad, who was introduced on The Clone Wars show) and a disgraced Imperial Moff try to kill them. I found this one very entertaining.
- Dark Disciple.
From an unused script for The Clone Wars. Dooku's former apprentice Assaj Ventress and grey-ish Jedi Quinlan Vos are sent on a mission to assassinate Count Dooku. A good enough read, especially if you know and like the characters, but it's still too obviously a four-episode script with very apparent cliffhangers and unnecessary dramatic reversals throughout.
- Aftermath.
This was hyped as the big one, as it begins immediately during the end of Return of the Jedi, and sets up some of the political chessboard for things to come (the New Republic gains a senate, Mon Mothma becomes Chancellor and decomissions the Rebellion's army. The Empire is fractured into competing factions.). But from what I've seen by now about Episode 7, by the beginning of that movie most of that will have been overturned again. A few interludes may set up plot points for Episode 7 or other movies (At least Boba Fett's armor survives, and there is a group of Sith artifact collectors who get their hands on what may or may not be Vader's lightsaber). The main plot features none of the big players though, with the possible exception of Wedge Antilles: Unlikely heroes are thrown together by fate and entangled in events surrounding a secret conference to decide the future of the Empire. The book is told in the present tense, which many readers found jarring. Apparently, the writing style is easier to digest in the audio book.

Young Adult Novels:
- Lost Stars.
Boy and girl grow up on a remote Imperial-occupied world and, just like Luke originally wanted to do, "join the Academy". Boy and girl fall in love, but after the destruction of Alderaan, one of them falls in with the Rebellion. It's essentially a Romeo-and-Juliet love story told against the backdrop of the original trilogy, and mostly a really engaging read due to its well-realized characters. (I loved the Alderaanian classmate who, after Alderaan is blown up, unexpectedly becomes even more of an Imperial hardliner via some truly twisted rationalizations) Also, for those looking for connections to the new movie, we find out how that Star Destroyer crashed on Jakku.
- Smuggler's Run.
A short fun romp with Han and Chewie during the rebellion era.
- Moving Target.
"What about the reports of the Rebel Fleet massing near Sullust?" Turns out it's a decoy mission led by Leia and Nien Nunb. Also pretty short. Movie connection: Old Leia dictates the story as part of her memoirs to her droid PZ-4CO, who will be in Episode 7.
- The Weapon of a Jedi.
The third short one: Pre-ESB Luke discovers an abandoned Jedi temple on a scouting mission and learns a bit more about lightsaber training. Movie connections: Happabores (big piglike riding beasts) make an appearance, and Sarco Plank (I think his action figure is already out) is one of the antagonists.

Comic Books:
- Star Wars (ongoing).
Set during the rebellion era. So far it's more adventures of our merry gang, with highlights being Luke's first confrontation with (or rather running away from) Vader, finding Kenobi's diary and facing off against Boba Fett (while temporarily blind). This series is getting rave reviews so far, but it never really grabbed me all that much.
- Darth Vader (ongoing).
This and the former title are the two flagships in Marvel's Star Wars lineup. They run concurrently, and some actions (such as Vader questing to find out Luke's identity) are shown in both books from different perspectives. The main story so far seems to be Vader trying to consolidate his power after being taken down a peg by Palpatine for letting the Death Star being blown up. It has a lot of neat side characters, and I found it a more enjoyable read than the "main" series.
- Princess Leia.
A five-issue miniseries dealing with Leia trying to find survivors of Alderaan, and coping with people's perception of her as the unfeeling cold leader she has to pretend to be.
- Kanan: The Last Padawan (ongoing).
Details the escape of Kanan from "Rebels" after Order 66. An entertaining read so far, and the beginning is truly heartwrenching.
- Lando.
Another miniseries, and my favorite so far. Lando and Lobot are suckered into stealing a spaceship, which turns out to house Palpatine's personal Sith museum.
- Shattered Empire.
Of all the comics, this one seems to be the most relevant for Episode 7. It begins with a mop-up mission to drive the last Imperials from Endor, featuring the parents of Poe Dameron who are both Rebel soldiers. Meanwhile, Leia tries to find allies for the New Republic on Naboo, while the crippled Empire sets in motion Palpatine's pre-programmed "destroy all the evidence once I'm dead" plan, which includes destroying his old home planet.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 21, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm going to watch all six Star Wars in the next two months, and describe my thoughts to all of you.

please watch them 456123.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"There were stories about what happened..."

"It's true. All of it. Well....most of it. The films of the sequel trilogy wont adhere to a lot of the the post–Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe content. The EU as a whole is no longer considered canon and has been re-termed "Legends," with related publications remaining in print under that banner."

"Oh."

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW I notice nobody is criticizing the Big Red Crossguard Lightsaber anymore.

I still think it's dumb. But there it is, it ain't gonna change, y'know? I'd rather focus on the spitting aspect of the blade which is cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Slight correction; Dark Disciple was adapted from way more than 4 episodes. There's a list in the book. I think it was 7?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No, this is the one

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

It's a 100% detail summary of the movie. Every scene is included. Assuming it's even true.

Thanks. This sounds like a pretty generic action movie from the 2010s and I'm interested to see how all the other parts of the film that a plot synopsis can't convey are handled.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thanks. This sounds like a pretty generic action movie from the 2010s and I'm interested to see how all the other parts of the film that a plot synopsis can't convey are handled.

Agreed. My biggest gripes are that the lightsaber doesn't seem to be important for any reason other than to connect the heroes with the villains. And the END of the movie seems to be the "Welcome back to Star Wars, bitches! We just blew up a death star and now here's Luke" moment. I don't like it when the YOU GOT REBOOTED moment comes at the end of the film. Makes it feel like I need to wait two years to get actual content.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This sounds like the movie I just watched the trailer for about 15 times. If that's the case I'm ok with it. Other than the part where Han Solo dies.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

You should spoiler these things.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Meh. Sounds like I thought it would.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/official-music-only-version-of-the-new-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer/

Music only version Disneyland released. It still has dips where the dialogue was, but I'm sure someone will fix it or something. Still sounds fantastic.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

gfanikf posted:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/official-music-only-version-of-the-new-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer/

Music only version Disneyland released. It still has dips where the dialogue was, but I'm sure someone will fix it or something. Still sounds fantastic.

Was about to post this. To be honest, other than that 1 shot of Han talking and the audio dips, that would've worked as a legit trailer.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Wookieepedia, for all its flaws, is pretty comprehensive. They do tend to wait quite a while until posting full plots of novels/comics though. Whether this is for spoiler reasons or because nobody can be bothered, I don't know.

Feel free to look for the Wookieepedia entries, but I'll try do do quick summaries here. Spoilers follow.

As of now, the canon consists of:

- The movies, obviously.

- Six seasons of The Clone Wars TV show.
Anakin gets a student, Ahsoka Tano, who matures from an insufferable brat to an almost universally loved character over the course of the series. A lot of Obi-Wan's "and he was a good friend" reminiscence is fleshed out in the stories, and Anakin actually becomes a likable character, flaws and all, and not just a creep. After a shaky start, the show is mostly solid from season 3 onwards, and turns surprisingly dark for a kids' show. In the final season we also learn a lot about the nature of the Force and exactly how the Clones are being conditioned, plus what all that Sifo-Dyas stuff was about. Oh, and Darth Maul returns halfway through the show and actually gains a personality.

- Two seasons (ongoing) of the Rebels TV show.
Set ten years before A New Hope. Kanan, a Jedi who survived Order 66 as a padawan and now runs with a gang of smugglers, discovers Ezra, a Force-sensitive kid, and reluctantly decides to train him. They gain the attention of the Empire and the greater Rebellion. By season 2 they have joined the Rebellion proper, and things are heating up. Guest stars include Lando (funny), Tarkin (badass) and Vader (scary as gently caress). More lighthearted than The Clone Wars, and the show carries on a few plot strands from the former series.

Are the Clone Wars shorts by Genndy Tartakovsky not canon? For a while those were the high point of any recent SW related stuff, and did some good fleshing out of characters like Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Frobop posted:

Granted it was *only* a couple weeks (I think) prior to release, but I remember the pretty hilarious spoilers coming with the track listing.

e;fb

I remember this moment exactly. I was however old I was at the time (Not very), and had been all kinds of kiddie hyped for Episode 1. I was also homeschooled and didn't have much else to occupy my life sooooo Star Warsed a lot. I went to Wal Mart with my parents one day, went to check out the electronics section and was jizzle jammed to see "Oh wow the NEW STAR WARS SOUNDTRACK!" Snatched it up and looked at the back.

Saw that poo poo. I was kiddie pissed.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SMG my question got lost in the tviv trailer posting but what do the Wampa in ep 5 and Rancor in ep 6 represent? (In relation to your comment about the colusseum monsters)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Are the Clone Wars shorts by Genndy Tartakovsky not canon? For a while those were the high point of any recent SW related stuff, and did some good fleshing out of characters like Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc.

They are not canon as per Disney's new model correct.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Laughing out loud if you watch Star Wars for the plot,

The interesting thing in the trailer is how un-starwarsy it seems to be. Shots like whatsherface super-dramatically raising her gun, or lowering herself into the cavern, come from altogether different types of film. The former is some Terminator 2 stuff, while the latter is seemingly an Alien reference.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That godawful "official queen business" accent Natalie Portman uses in TPM is so goddamn bad I don't understand how anyone sat there and said "yea let's use this."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Potential BFF posted:

That godawful "official queen business" accent Natalie Portman uses in TPM is so goddamn bad I don't understand how anyone sat there and said "yea let's use this."

In a movie with Watto, Jar-Jar, and the Neimoidians she really doesn't stand that far out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

gfanikf posted:

teagone you should rip this, throw it in Avid and use keyframes to boost the audio dips on your timeline. I mean...I would like you to. If you have the time. Please.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RC Cola posted:

You should spoiler these things.

But I did? :raise:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

In a movie with Watto, Jar-Jar, and the Neimoidians she really doesn't stand that far out.

Yea, I think the lack of any of those mitigating low bars in the trailer is what concentrated the awfulness. I watched the movie not too long ago and it didn't stick out that much but goddamn.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do you guys think it's accurate?

it's pretty.. boring? Like the biggest MacGuffin story of all time. It was posted BEFORE the final trailer came out, so I have a hard time doubting it's true

I think theres a whole lot missing from the 3rd act. No one knows what happens to Poe on Jakku also, maybe its not shown for the Maz castle lake intro

And boring? It sounds like theres action beats litteraly every location they go save for the rebel base.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Actually letting myself get a tiny bit hyped to watch this. The first two trailers seemed a bit too focused on "hey look we have the Millennium Falcon also here are some disjointed shots of random main (?) characters" moments, whereas I kinda wish I'd seen this third one in a theater with no prior knowledge of a new Star Wars trilogy. The music alone would have had me going nuts.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

please watch them 456123.

451236, plebeian

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
You know what really bothers me?

Tie Fighters clearly yawing with excellent responsiveness while inside an atmosphere. That poo poo just should not physically work, and pointing it out was probably one of the better things the EU did.

This trailer has been the best so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Corbeau posted:

You know what really bothers me?

Tie Fighters clearly yawing with excellent responsiveness while inside an atmosphere. That poo poo just should not physically work, and pointing it out was probably one of the better things the EU did.

This trailer has been the best so far though.

Meanwhile, during explosive sounds in space, people travel lightspeed while being totally unaffected by time.

• Locked thread