Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dogen posted:

It was amazing. I'd love it if they could make another season, but a lot of the magic for me was really how cinematic the whole thing was, the characters, and the dialogue- if they made another game based on another IP to that standard I would be just as happy.

Gotta play it again and have a different team at the end, I would have liked to see zer0. Also, what happens in the beginning of ep 5 if you sided with Jack? I imagine it's basically the same, despite the different endings in 4, but I'm curious.

If you've been pro Jack the whole way through he extends you the privilege of being the first jackbot, since your body and his brains have been such a great team. This offer is mandatory. It goes over about as well as you might expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Dogen posted:

Also, what happens in the beginning of ep 5 if you sided with Jack? I imagine it's basically the same, despite the different endings in 4, but I'm curious.

It's exactly the same except Jack is initially friendly and then when he suggests turning you into a meat puppet, he gets very offended when Rhys is displeased with the proposition. I was actually kind of disappointed in it to be honest. I realize they had to prune story branches but it's a really abrupt turn of events when Jack has no actual reason to want Rhys dead at that point.

CharlesM posted:

No really, what happened to the pony? I thought it was going to be a plot element.

Have you played Borderlands 2? The pony is Butt Stallion and is an actual horse made of diamonds that Jack uses to flaunt his money to the Vault Hunters. It was bleeding because it is an actual, live horse. Made of diamonds. There was an Echo-Eye net or Jackapedia entry or something about how Butt Stallion sunk into a sort of hibernating state due to depression over Jack's death.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I did it. I saved every penny I could to buy the secret vault hunter.

I figured out who it was the second I hit accept. drat it.

I also got every single team option so I'm definitely running through that again.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Dogen posted:

Gotta play it again and have a different team at the end, I would have liked to see zer0. Also, what happens in the beginning of ep 5 if you sided with Jack? I imagine it's basically the same, despite the different endings in 4, but I'm curious.

He's really happy and eager to have a working relationship with Rhys , which is to say, he still tries to kill him to make a Rhys skin suit for the robot body, but Jack seems honestly disappointed and a little bummed out when Rhy's tells him to gently caress off. Also Rhy's gets worshiped as a God President later on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CuwiKhons posted:

It's exactly the same except Jack is initially friendly and then when he suggests turning you into a meat puppet, he gets very offended when Rhys is displeased with the proposition. I was actually kind of disappointed in it to be honest. I realize they had to prune story branches but it's a really abrupt turn of events when Jack has no actual reason to want Rhys dead at that point.

The thing about Jack is he's a complete psychopath, where things like empathy and consistency are for other people. He could genuinely think turning Rhys into his Jackbot so he can live again is a great honor, and at the same time all he really cares about is himself so if Rhys rejects said honor then it's Rhys that's the problem. poo poo Rhys could've gone through with it willingly and by the end of the week Jack would've forgotten his name and probably call him a sucker if asked. He's just a manipulator who's crazy enough to half-believe his own lies (hence the rants about everyone betraying him).

As for the intro sequences, I have to say that the intro for episode 5 wasn't all that memorable. Okay song choice, although I like the credit sequence more.

I also like what they did with the ending. There's a certain Tarantino Pulp Fiction vibe to the treasure in a Vault, it's not clear what it's supposed to be besides incredibly valuable, and to a certain extent it doesn't matter - great heist stories are very much about the journey, not the destination. They could've faded to white with the chest opening and that'd be fine, but showing the two of them vanishing also works even if the story's never followed up on. To my mind, it's shorthand for "the adventures continue" and thematically appropriate for a vault of a Traveler. They don't even necessarily need to explain where they went, if Fiona and Rhys turned up in the next Borderlands and what they got from the Vault remained nebulous (knowledge? Wealth? Power?) that'd be fine.

And speaking of, they've definitely laid some groundwork for a Borderlands sequel/MMO. Vaughn and his Children of Helios, Rhys running the new Atlas, August in Hollow Point, Scooter's chain of mechanic shops (RIP), there's plenty of new factions, NPCs and lore bits to flesh out the Borderlands setting.

In fact, I think that's one of the most remarkable thing about Tales, compared to other Telltale games. It feels like they were given wide latitude to expand the setting and advance the plot in a way that actually made Borderlands a lot more interesting (to me, at least) than it had been before. Game of Thrones feels straightjacketed, especially when canon characters make cameos where you know they're untouchable, while the Borderlands cameos were fun and seamless even if you didn't know the characters and certainly provided no special protection (again, RIP Scooter). Even in the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, they've had to work far away from the "main plot" to have enough freedom, which makes them feel disconnected, but Tales pretty much feels like a full part of the Borderlands series. Probably because it's likely to be the most serious story treatment the franchise will ever have.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dolash posted:

The thing about Jack is he's a complete psychopath, where things like empathy and consistency are for other people. He could genuinely think turning Rhys into his Jackbot so he can live again is a great honor, and at the same time all he really cares about is himself so if Rhys rejects said honor then it's Rhys that's the problem. poo poo Rhys could've gone through with it willingly and by the end of the week Jack would've forgotten his name and probably call him a sucker if asked. He's just a manipulator who's crazy enough to half-believe his own lies (hence the rants about everyone betraying him).

For me the big thing is this: Jack's plan is stupid and he of all people should know that. He's going to make multiple copies of himself? An army of Jacks and he honestly thinks they won't turn on each other until there is only the Alpha Jack? Even if Jack thinks he'll be able to dominate the new ones, it's still a waste of his time and money. During the Pre-Sequel when you do the quest for Nakayama that gets him making the Jack AI, you can talk to his rudimentary version when you finish the quest. The AI is asked to do an impression of Jack and you know what it says? "No." Jack (the real Jack) laughs and says that DOES sound like him.

Jack is not unaware of his own nature as a self-serving, backstabbing psychopath. But he's a pretty smart one and I think that's what bugs me about his downfall. His plan is downright dumb and if all he wanted was to kill Rhys then there's a better time and place than 2 minutes into his reign as President when his allies are still on Helios. I wanted Jack's betrayal of Rhys to be more insidious than "btw i'm gonna kill you"

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

For me the big thing is this: Jack's plan is stupid and he of all people should know that. He's going to make multiple copies of himself? An army of Jacks and he honestly thinks they won't turn on each other until there is only the Alpha Jack? Even if Jack thinks he'll be able to dominate the new ones, it's still a waste of his time and money. During the Pre-Sequel when you do the quest for Nakayama that gets him making the Jack AI, you can talk to his rudimentary version when you finish the quest. The AI is asked to do an impression of Jack and you know what it says? "No." Jack (the real Jack) laughs and says that DOES sound like him.

Jack is not unaware of his own nature as a self-serving, backstabbing psychopath. But he's a pretty smart one and I think that's what bugs me about his downfall. His plan is downright dumb and if all he wanted was to kill Rhys then there's a better time and place than 2 minutes into his reign as President when his allies are still on Helios. I wanted Jack's betrayal of Rhys to be more insidious than "btw i'm gonna kill you"

I more assumed he was going for an army of jack bots that he would act as the hive mind of, not an army of independently thinking jacks.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

I more assumed he was going for an army of jack bots that he would act as the hive mind of, not an army of independently thinking jacks.

I'd have to go back and play it but I could have sworn he said he'd upload copies of himself to the bots, which implied to me that they would exist as separate thinking entities. If he just said he'd upload himself to them then yeah that'd probably be more of a hivemind. I don't know. It still sounds like a dumb plan either way. They're not like zombies where you bite them and they immediately turn - you kill somebody and then you have to surgically implant a loving robot inside of them. Sort of not worth the effort.

At any rate, it's probably my only complaint about the story so it's not that big of a deal. The scene in the Helios crashsite with Jack flickering on the big screen more than made up for it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, my perception might be coloured by rejecting Jack from the start so that he just straight up says he wants to steal your body and use it as a puppet, but the multi-Jack plan could probably work as an AI collective of Jacks. Think Ultron from Age of Ultron, every individual Ultron-bot was both an Ultron unto itself and part of the collective Ultron, and he was hardly a being without ego or narcissism.

Also I forgot to mention but I thought Sasha's "death" sequence was well-handled, it lent the climax drama then subverted it in a comedic way appropriate to the story, then led into the very sentimental ending with Rhys and Fiona. If they'd actually killed her off it might've been too much of a downer, and Felix's gift being one last trick up his sleeve was also appropriate (I imagine it might've worked even better dramatically if he was dead by that point).

I loved the little conversation about "What are your intentions with my sister?", it was refreshing having the male and female protagonists as equals and friends while also having Rhys and Sasha providing a funny romantic subplot. Even though they worked it out in the end Fiona's glare in the episode 4 intro is one of the all-time greats.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 22, 2015

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I'd have to go back and play it but I could have sworn he said he'd upload copies of himself to the bots, which implied to me that they would exist as separate thinking entities. If he just said he'd upload himself to them then yeah that'd probably be more of a hivemind. I don't know. It still sounds like a dumb plan either way. They're not like zombies where you bite them and they immediately turn - you kill somebody and then you have to surgically implant a loving robot inside of them. Sort of not worth the effort.

At any rate, it's probably my only complaint about the story so it's not that big of a deal. The scene in the Helios crashsite with Jack flickering on the big screen more than made up for it.

keep in mind that jack was a pretty strong fighter on his own, even just a small platoon of perfectly co ordinated computer minded soldiers with a super powered reinforced robo skeleton and jacks ambition and personality is going to make serious waves.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It was a pretty dumb plan but I don't think he had much time to think of a better one considering his circumstances.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I read apparently you can get Rhys to say that he's not into Sasha at the end when Fiona's telling him to back off of her, and Rhys insinuates he likes someone else (Fiona?), and apparently just 1% of people got that outcome? Wonder what'd trigger that.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dolash posted:

I read apparently you can get Rhys to say that he's not into Sasha at the end when Fiona's telling him to back off of her, and Rhys insinuates he likes someone else (Fiona?), and apparently just 1% of people got that outcome? Wonder what'd trigger that.

Spoiler:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2enoKc57Y Honestly I feel like they are reaching, don't get that vibe from the scene

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished the finale last night. I love love loved it. I can't decide if this episode or the final episode of TWDS1 was better, they both struck very different chords obvi.

Some small nagging issues I had with it:

Apparently Athena survives? I looked it up and I guess her survival is explained in another Borderlands game or some poo poo. I think that is horseshit, Fiona doesn't even react to the fact that her mentor didn't get blown up by a rocket after all. Felt very sloppy.

They pulled the "Oh you thought I was dead but really I wasn't!" an awful lot. Honestly though I'm not too upset about that, having a major character die in this series would've felt very by the numbers by Telltale and I don't think it would have fit very well.

Cliffhanger endings are stupid. At least it didn't really leave many threads hanging though so I'm not too upset about that either.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Athena thing is explained during the Pre Sequel. Well maybe not explained but she's a vault hunter so they survive poo poo like that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mr E posted:

The Athena thing is explained during the Pre Sequel. Well maybe not explained but she's a vault hunter so they survive poo poo like that.

Yeah I know that's what I found after looking into it. It still felt very sloppy considering it was a pretty major plot point. It would have been so easy for them to explain it briefly. As it was I was just staring at my screen wondering if my game had glitched out or something.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Yeah, I mean besides Roland do any Vault Hunters at all really DIE completely?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Apparently Athena survives? I looked it up and I guess her survival is explained in another Borderlands game or some poo poo. I think that is horseshit, Fiona doesn't even react to the fact that her mentor didn't get blown up by a rocket after all. Felt very sloppy.

Why did you think Athena was dead? Brick and Mordecai visibly carried her away. Did you think they were taking her off to face a firing squad or something? I hate to say "it's from another Borderlands game" but well, it's from another Borderlands game. They captured her to interrogate her. Vallory's rocket only knocked her out instead of gibbing her because this is the Borderlands universe and Athena is a Vault Hunter.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Why did you think Athena was dead? Brick and Mordecai visibly carried her away. Did you think they were taking her off to face a firing squad or something? I hate to say "it's from another Borderlands game" but well, it's from another Borderlands game. They captured her to interrogate her. Vallory's rocket only knocked her out instead of gibbing her because this is the Borderlands universe and Athena is a Vault Hunter.

well to be honest I'd forgotten she got carried off. Still, my point stands that, in Tales from the Borderlands, a major character is taken out in a way that, at the very least, the other characters think she's dead. And then she just comes back in the end and there's not any reaction from any other characters (who, again, presumed her dead), there's no explanation of what happened to her between then and now. I shouldn't have to play an entirely separate game from the series to not be totally confused on why this character is suddenly back.

vvv Yeah don't remember seeing that at all. Might not have gotten that dialogue.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 22, 2015

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.

PantsBandit posted:

well to be honest I'd forgotten she got carried off. Still, my point stands that, in Tales from the Borderlands, a major character is taken out in a way that, at the very least, the other characters think she's dead. And then she just comes back in the end and there's not any reaction from any other characters (who, again, presumed her dead), there's no explanation of what happened to her between then and now. I shouldn't have to play an entirely separate game from the series to not be totally confused on why this character is suddenly back.

Janey mentions gearing up to rescue her when you see her in episode four, it might have been a response to a specific dialog choice though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

My dialogue choices after Athena getting knocked out included "Don't hurt her" (that was in fact the one I picked) so Fiona clearly knew Athena wasn't dead. I dunno what to tell you man.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Don't need to tell me anything. It's not like it ruined my enjoyment of the finale or anything. I just feel whether it was supposed to look like she died, or was knocked out, or was carried off, or whatever people who didn't play the Pre Sequel are going to be confused at that. It's a plot point with a big black bar in the middle and they don't address it in a way that makes sense.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

To be a little more positive, I liked how they had multiple instances where characters who are clearly complete dickheads that deserve their fates try to appeal to your conscience. Like, did anyone actually save Yvette? "Oh, you don't understand they told me they'd keep you safe!" Uhhhh....yeah sure. Kinda sounded like you were really wanting me dead last episode but I'll go ahead and open this door for you anyway!

Jack too. No we are not alike Jack. You are a literally insane person.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I wasn't shocked in the least when Jack finally showed his true colours and wanted to turn Rhys into a skin robot, I've known since his Handsome face first showed itself he'd do something like this, and frankly, I'm surprised he bothered telling Rhys he was going to do this to him but, Jack does love to gloat and his own arrogance was once again, his own downfall.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I didn't play any of the other Borderlands games and know nothing of the series, and I had an OK time following what was going on. For stuff like Zer0 and the mystery vault hunter, who I was too broke to hire due to blowing every bit of the money I got in the game on outfits and a sweet ride (I went all in on the caravan, it was glorious), I definitely did feel like I was missing some context though.

I did mostly side with Handsome Jack all throughout, not knowing anything about him other than he seemed like a fun guy. Granted there was plenty of warning as everyone around you keeps stressing how awful he is and reminding you of all the terrible things he's done, but playing Rhys like a naive, ambitious character who makes a lot of poor decisions, it made sense to go along with him.

Dolash posted:

Also I forgot to mention but I thought Sasha's "death" sequence was well-handled, it lent the climax drama then subverted it in a comedic way appropriate to the story, then led into the very sentimental ending with Rhys and Fiona. If they'd actually killed her off it might've been too much of a downer, and Felix's gift being one last trick up his sleeve was also appropriate (I imagine it might've worked even better dramatically if he was dead by that point).
Felix was dead in mine and it did work very well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

To be a little more positive, I liked how they had multiple instances where characters who are clearly complete dickheads that deserve their fates try to appeal to your conscience. Like, did anyone actually save Yvette? "Oh, you don't understand they told me they'd keep you safe!" Uhhhh....yeah sure. Kinda sounded like you were really wanting me dead last episode but I'll go ahead and open this door for you anyway!

I actually did save Yvette. She helps you with the reactor and amusingly you can kill her off q second time. If she survives that she ends up joining Vaughn.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Buzkashi posted:

Yeah, I mean besides Roland do any Vault Hunters at all really DIE completely?

You kill Wilhelm and Nisha in BL2.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I didn't play any of the other Borderlands games and know nothing of the series, and I had an OK time following what was going on. For stuff like Zer0 and the mystery vault hunter, who I was too broke to hire due to blowing every bit of the money I got in the game on outfits and a sweet ride (I went all in on the caravan, it was glorious), I definitely did feel like I was missing some context though.

The only thing you missed out on with the mystery vault hunter was meeting the single most annoying character in the entire game series. Like, so annoying that he's hated by every single character in the Borderlands universe, not just players. He is canonically an obnoxious, incompetent piece of poo poo that everybody loathes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

The only thing you missed out on with the mystery vault hunter was meeting the single most annoying character in the entire game series. Like, so annoying that he's hated by every single character in the Borderlands universe, not just players. He is canonically an obnoxious, incompetent piece of poo poo that everybody loathes.

For what it's worth I looked up his scene in the giant robot and it's actually sorta funny.

Part of me think it's part of the joke that he's so awful though. Like the game is actively making fun of you for saving money, aka playing it wrong.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oh it's absolutely making fun of you. You're expecting Salvador or Krieg or Gaige or Krieg or Maya or Krieg or maybe, just maybe, loving KRIEG, and instead you get Claptrap. The ultimate insult.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I looked up Krieg and it honestly doesn't seem like he'd be any better.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Spoken like a man who's never ridden a meat bicycle.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If Krieg's not in the game, then what's with that tweet from Telltale saying they got someone to say "poop train"? :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Spoken like a man who's never ridden a meat bicycle.

I bet none of that except the LOLRANDOMPSYCHO bullshit even comes up in the game.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I bet none of that except the LOLRANDOMPSYCHO bullshit even comes up in the game.

Nope, actually it does. While playing as Krieg, you WILL frequently hear the louder crazy voice screaming about whatever but you'll also hear the quiet voice commenting on what's going on. In fact one of Krieg's idles is him having a conversation with himself in which the sane voice tells the crazy voice that if he ever starts killing innocent people, he's taking over and walking them off a cliff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Nope, actually it does. While playing as Krieg, you WILL frequently hear the louder crazy voice screaming about whatever but you'll also hear the quiet voice commenting on what's going on. In fact one of Krieg's idles is him having a conversation with himself in which the sane voice tells the crazy voice that if he ever starts killing innocent people, he's taking over and walking them off a cliff.

Huh. Surprising.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The player can hear Krieg's inner voice pipe in sometimes.

"Uh-oh. Math. Hope we don't pop a blood vessel."

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Many of Krieg's "crazy" lines also aren't crazy at all. I mean, they're a little crazy but...

quote:

I can't see her anymore... She was so clear and bright... but the blood is in my eyes, and now I can only watch the ocean of blood... Its waves crash against my forehead again and again, AND I JUST NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SURF!!

quote:

You're gonna scream, just like she did; open mouth, open heart, blood and noise forever piercing my skull, poisoning me with its psychopathic purple liquid. We watched it all, and felt the knife edge split down the middle... CAN YOU HEAR ME?!

quote:

There is no me, there is no you! There is only the never ending spit and bile of combat! The twenty-four hour murder spree of shining metal! I drink the blood and eat the loot and breathe the numbers, because I! AM! A MONSTER! NOW AND FOREVER!

quote:

(I'm beginning to remember...) Stop it, keep the memories down with a knife in its throat, slash it until it bleeds thought juice across the dirt and it's absorbed into nothingness...

The parenthesis is Krieg's quiet, sane voice. Krieg is not actually always yelling even when he's being crazy. Just for the record, Krieg talks like this more often than he screams about POOP TRAINS and NIPPLE SALADS (Krieg's implied backstory is that he's a victim of Jack's eridium experimentation)

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 22, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So here's a question: which episode had the best intro? I'm split between the final ep and episode 2. I think I'd give a smallll edge to episode 2 and the completely amazing slow-mo sequence but goddamn this series had some loving great intro sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

PantsBandit posted:

So here's a question: which episode had the best intro? I'm split between the final ep and episode 2. I think I'd give a smallll edge to episode 2 and the completely amazing slow-mo sequence but goddamn this series had some loving great intro sequences.

• Locked thread