Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Maybe they could make Wonder Woman CGI like the Hulk? :razz:

Considering male actors are now getting cgi muscle touch ups when shirtless you could give an actress digital biceps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If we are to accept that the actress is playing a character who has the blood of Zeus running through her veins then it really shouldn't matter what the gently caress she looks like. Maybe a character in the movie will say something stupid like "you don't look very strong" and she throws them across the room because she is supposed to be half god or krypton or whatever they decide to do in the movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
By that logic we should happily accept a Superman who looks like Zach Braff. There's no lore-apparent reason for Superman to have muscles; his strength comes from being Kryptonian.

I say again that there's nothing wrong with Gal Gadot's physique and that there's far more important things about this film to worry about, but it makes perfect sense for people to want to see an incredibly, visibly muscular Amazon princess and all these excuses for why Wonder Woman, of all characters, doesn't need to look like that is pretty silly.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It seems like if there's anything to mock about that poster it's Batman and Superman looking like roided balloons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

By that logic we should happily accept a Superman who looks like Zach Braff. There's no lore-apparent reason for Superman to have muscles; his strength comes from being Kryptonian.

Superman's job is a pretty drat good workout.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That depends on the mechanics of 'tactile telekinesis'.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDan3k posted:

Considering male actors are now getting cgi muscle touch ups when shirtless you could give an actress digital biceps.
I'm eagerly awaiting She Hulk to be introduced to the MCU (because she's a great and hilarious character). She's a character where if she's not visibly pretty built, they hosed up. Like yeah there have been artists who drew her as a slim cheesecake model, but that's literally, objectively wrong. Byrne She-Hulk is arguably the *least* built she should ever be, and he commonly drew her like a marginally bigger then average fitness model (but still very visibly toned). She doesn't need to be a colossal roided-out muscle monster (unless it's for dramatic effect: see "Avengers Disassembled") but making her a 7 foot tall supermodel is wrong, too.

I can see the argument that Wonder Woman being built isn't an intrinsic part of the character, but it's absolutely something I personally look for in depictions of the character. I love the artwork in the Azarrello (spelling?) run because it makes her look formidable whether she had superpowers or not.
Wonder Woman is just one of those characters where if she isn't pretty built, it just doesn't look right to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BrianWilly posted:

I say again that there's nothing wrong with Gal Gadot's physique and that there's far more important things about this film to worry about, but it makes perfect sense for people to want to see an incredibly, visibly muscular Amazon princess and all these excuses for why Wonder Woman, of all characters, doesn't need to look like that is pretty silly.

They're not excuses because the way Gal Gadot is built in Batman v Superman is similar to how Wonder Woman has been depicted in the comics. Yes, I understand that some would prefer the actress to maybe have more definition and be a bit bulkier, I'm not saying that doesn't make sense. I don't think anyone is. What doesn't make sense is people making GBS threads on Gal Gadot's physical appearance when in fact she bears a huge resemblance to multiple iterations of the character. Also, Superman's character hasn't ever really been prominently depicted with a Zach Braff build in the comics, movies, or tv shows.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 22, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
If you really think about why Superman is super strong then he should look like either Michael Cera or Jack Black.

It would be really hard to build muscle mass if all you had to work with was the equivalent of a 5 pound dumbbell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe Kryptonians are just naturally muscular. Or in the case of the DCEU, maybe when Jor-El fused the codex with Ka, Kal inherited some warrior/soldier-breed genetics.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

They're not excuses because the way Gal Gadot is built in Batman v Superman is similar to how Wonder Woman has been depicted in the comics. Yes, I understand that some would prefer the actress to maybe have more definition and be a bit bulkier, I'm not saying that doesn't make sense. I don't think anyone is. What doesn't make sense is people making GBS threads on Gal Gadot's physical appearance when in fact she bears a huge resemblance to multiple iterations of the character. Also, Superman's character hasn't ever really been prominently depicted with a Zach Braff build in the comics, movies, or tv shows.
You said it yourself: some people would prefer it if she was bulkier and had more definition (and that's a common way she's been depicted in the comics, too). The fact that she isn't is why people are making GBS threads on her appearance.

It's a personal preference thing, and one group or another is going to end up disappointed because their preferred interpretation of the character isn't the one ending up on screen.
I personally can't see Wonder Woman as anything other than "Amazonian", and having her any other way looks wrong and does the character a disservice in my opinion, whether that depiction is part of The Officially Licensed DC Approved Canon (tm) or not.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

People are not upset because they can't get their rocks off with a skinny wonder woman. People are lamenting a missed opportunity for a little visual diversity on-screen.

Look at Amanda Waller. She has been drawn burly, and she has been drawn fit. There exists precedent for both. Viola Davis was cast as Amanda Waller in suicide squad. She is a great actress, and there is nothing inherently wrong with the way she looks! But it is yet another missed opportunity for a person to be cast who does not look like a movie star. It is disappointing that they chose to go for a fit, lean look on a character whose nickname in-universe is "the wall." It is an example of choosing the 'safe' decision for the sake of sex appeal.

You can argue that being fat isn't inherent to her character, and you'd be right! When you get down to it, there isn't really anything that narratively demands for Amanda Waller to be a large person. But in a situation where she doesn't need to be a particular body type, the concept of casting a large woman just for the sake of having a large woman play a strong, respected character has merit on its own.

This is why it's frustrating you are accusing people of body shaming - because body shaming comes from a place of misogynistic criticism, the notion that everyone should look a certain way, when the actual motive is the desire for some characters to not look as conventionally sexy as they could possibly be.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ignite Memories posted:

This is why it's frustrating you are accusing people of body shaming - because body shaming comes from a place of misogynistic criticism, the notion that everyone should look a certain way, when the actual motive is the desire for some characters to not look as conventionally sexy as they could possibly be.

I know I'm not responding to a hivemind here, but from every actress body casting thing I've ever seen it seems that the woman is always set up to lose. They're too pretty, or not pretty enough, too tall, or too short. I think this started to bother me with Gwendoline Christie's role in Game of Thrones, where she had criticism from both men and women with opposite arguments.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make - that people have it out for actresses specifically? Plenty of people complained that Hugh Jackman is too tall to play wolverine.

edit: FWIW I think Gwendoline Christie was stupendous loving casting.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 23, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

You said it yourself: some people would prefer it if she was bulkier and had more definition (and that's a common way she's been depicted in the comics, too). The fact that she isn't is why people are making GBS threads on her appearance.

It's a personal preference thing, and one group or another is going to end up disappointed because their preferred interpretation of the character isn't the one ending up on screen.

That's what I think is dumb. I've been saying the multiple incarnations of the character span from her being lithe and athletic to well built and jacked. The movie version is just another incarnation. No need to get upset about it when it respects the source material.

quote:

I personally can't see Wonder Woman as anything other than "Amazonian", and having her any other way looks wrong and does the character a disservice in my opinion, whether that depiction is part of The Officially Licensed DC Approved Canon (tm) or not.

What really constitutes being seen as "Amazonian" other than being tall? Amazonian really just means a badass warrior. And like I've said, you don't need muscles to convincingly depict someone who is a total badass.

Ignite Memories posted:

People are not upset because they can't get their rocks off with a skinny wonder woman. People are lamenting a missed opportunity for a little visual diversity on-screen.

I actually think you're the only lamenting that opportunity. Pretty much the sole reason behind giving Gal Gadot poo poo I've seen everywhere is that she's not built like an MMA fighter. People then end up calling her a bean pole with no tits or whatever bullshit.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 23, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

teagone posted:

I actually think you're the only lamenting that opportunity. Pretty much the sole reason behind giving Gal Gadot poo poo is because she's not built like an MMA fighter and relgate to calling her a bean pole or whatever bullshit.

I think that you acknowledging this as my motivation is probably the best outcome I'm going to get out of this argument, so I will take it. Thank you / Sorry / Agree to disagree.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

I think that you acknowledging this as my motivation is probably the best outcome I'm going to get out of this argument, so I will take it. Thank you / Sorry / Agree to disagree.

Yeah, no, I understand your motivation. I get it. I initially took your criticism in the same vein as the vomit regarding Gal being too skinny that I read everywhere else online. I still just don't think it's fair to discredit her completely when the physical appearance she built up on for BvS is backed by the source material.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There's certainly a higher bar set for women's appearances as a rule, but people complaining about superhero casting choices is a pretty standard rule as well. And even then it kinda varies across the board.

Ignite Memories posted:

Thank you, I was hoping someone might just come out and straight up say it. There is a significant difference between the criticism women receive for people too big vs being too small.

mycot is right that women are going to be criticized either way, which is a problem all on its own. But the fact is also that Gal Gadot is envisioned across worldwide popular culture -- every magazine, every commercial, every TV show and film and music video -- as the "right" way for women to look and every other way is "wrong" somehow. The fact that you, teagone, started this convo with that garish fanart of a 'roided out WW, as if we should all point and shudder at how bad a woman would look if she had the same muscles Superman is usually depicted with, just goes to show the double-standard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make - that people have it out for actresses specifically? Plenty of people complained that Hugh Jackman is too tall to play wolverine.

The lesson is that iconic characters casting will always upset people. Sometimes its legitimate criticism like about race or gender and other things, but other times it will be because "they don't look like them". It kind of remind me of the discussion of how we hear the voices of characters when you read comics. We all hear and picture things differently. I mean, some are too iconic, if you don't hear Kevin Conroy's voice when you read Batman there's something wrong.

That ESPN body issue is great, because you can see the physic's of both men and women who have active muscles, not vanity muscles. That is what someone who is muscular from actions and not doing fitness routines so they look swole.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

The fact that you, teagone, started this convo with that garish fanart of a 'roided out WW, as if we should all point and shudder at how bad a woman would look if she had the same muscles Superman is usually depicted with, just goes to show the double-standard.

I admitted it was a kneejerk response because I'm pretty tired of hearing the complaints.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

That's what I think is dumb. I've been saying the multiple incarnations of the character span from her being lithe and athletic to well built and jacked. The movie version is just another incarnation. No need to get upset about it when it respects the source material.
No, it only respects SOME of the source material. That's the point you're not getting. If my preference is the source material where she's built and jacked, and they don't follow that, that's a pretty fair reason for complaint. Just like if they *did* make her built, the people who prefer her more male-gazey slender depictions would have an equally valid complaint.

quote:

What really constitutes being seen as "Amazonian" other than being tall? Amazonian really just means a badass warrior. And like I've said, you don't need muscles to convincingly depict someone who is a total badass.
Have you never heard the phrase "built like an Amazon"? Key word there is "built". There's a famous song called "Brick House" by The Commodores if you need a refresher.

Sure you don't need muscle to be a badass, there are plenty of women characters who are badasses without muscle (Ripley, Black Widow). But Wonder Woman has in fact been depicted as being noticeably built, and it's right there in her backstory: an Amazon. She's been depicted as being visually physically formidable independent of her superpowers.

I don't expect Black Widow to be all muscley, and she can still kick rear end.Wonder Woman, I absolutely do. And evidently a fair number of DC artists do, too, seeing as how she's been drawn that way multiple times.

Gal Gadot doesn't need to look like a roid freak, but she doesn't even look like an athlete, and athletes have at least SOME visual muscle shapes/tone even at rest. Someone posted the photo of her flexing her arm as hard as she could, with the comment "see? She doesn't have pipe cleaner arms!"
I see women with more athletic bodies shopping at Target.

Maybe this is all poorly taken publicity photos. At least she's not rail-thin, that's a HUGE step in the right direction. Maybe she'll look better on screen; I sincerely hope she does, because I want her to pull it off and I want to see a good and cool Wonder Woman in the movie. But right now, I'm unconvinced. And putting her side by side with ultra-musclemen Batman and Superman isn't doing her any favors.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 23, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Would this be what you're expecting?

Mild NSFW
http://i.imgur.com/JvTXgqI.jpg

or this?

http://i.imgur.com/xU2CUX3.jpg
Also mild NSFW

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you don't think Gal Gadot Wonder Woman looks physically formidable I don't know what to tell you. She looks like she'd kick both the other guys asses while they were struggling to move their bulky rear end muscles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

twistedmentat posted:

Would this be what you're expecting?

Mild NSFW
http://i.imgur.com/JvTXgqI.jpg

or this?

http://i.imgur.com/xU2CUX3.jpg
Also mild NSFW
The first one, yes, absolutely.

greatn posted:

If you don't think Gal Gadot Wonder Woman looks physically formidable I don't know what to tell you. She looks like she'd kick both the other guys asses while they were struggling to move their bulky rear end muscles.
There's a GBS thread about actually physically fit women you should probably check out if you think gal Gadot looks fit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Stop bringing up GBS.

Ignite Memories posted:

Pretty much. The Hugh Jackman example is different because he is too tall to ever be called short, so the movies just never brought up his height at all. And why not, nothing's a 100% accurate adaption anyway (though this causes its own nerd arguments). With discussions of actresses it feels like the metrics are a lot vaguer (and thus much harder to actually win).

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 23, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

No, it only respects SOME of the source material. That's the point you're not getting. If my preference is the source material where she's built and jacked, and they don't follow that, that's a pretty fair reason for complaint. Just like if they *did* make her built, the people who prefer her more male-gazey slender depictions would have an equally valid complaint.

Actually that's the point I've been reinforcing? And it be would just as dumb of a complaint on the other end of the spectrum in my opinion.

quote:

Have you never heard the phrase "built like an Amazon"? Key word there is "built". There's a famous song called "Brick House" by The Commodores if you need a refresher.

Sure you don't need muscle to be a badass, there are plenty of women characters who are badasses without muscle (Ripley, Black Widow). But Wonder Woman has in fact been depicted as being noticeably built, and it's right there in her backstory: an Amazon. She's been depicted as being visually physically formidable independent of her superpowers.

I don't expect Black Widow to be all muscley, and she can still kick rear end.Wonder Woman, I absolutely do. And evidently a fair number of DC artists do, too, seeing as how she's been drawn that way multiple times.

I guess I meant more so the actual meaning behind what an Amazon was. Like in actual greek mythology. Are they typically depicted or known to be muscular women? I just know them as women warriors and being tall as the main identifiers of what it means to be an "Amazon". [edit] Wonder Woman also has been depicted as lithe and slender. You can be lithe and slender and still be physically formidable, which is what Gal looks like those press photos: a physically capable warrior. She might not be built like your proto-typical, lean muscular type with shredded definition, but she doesn't look like an absolute waif either. Her build is a good balance imo.

quote:

Gal Gadot doesn't need to look like a roid freak, but she doesn't even look like an athlete, and athletes have at least SOME visual muscle shapes/tone even at rest. Someone posted the photo of her flexing her arm as hard as she could, with the comment "see? She doesn't have pipe cleaner arms!"
I see women with more athletic bodies shopping at Target.

Yeah, I posted that photo. No need to be coy. If you don't think Gal looks athletic, I'm not going to bother to try and convince you otherwise. You're basically just spouting the same bullshit I read everywhere else online.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 23, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She's also the only person in that photo with a posture of action. The others have a posture of pensiveness whereas she looks like she's about to go break something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cut off one of Gal Gadot's boobs

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If my preference is the source material where she's built and jacked, and they don't follow that, that's a pretty fair reason for complaint. Just like if they *did* make her built, the people who prefer her more male-gazey slender depictions would have an equally valid complaint.
This, I disagree with. Complaints about women not looking slim enough to fit the male gaze requisite are never going to be as valid as the other side.

Not all complaints are created equal, and they're not valid just because someone thinks them. This goes across the board.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

She referenced that in an interview :haw:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

AnonSpore posted:

Wtf?

Burn off one of her boobs get your mythology right.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I mean, come on. You at least have to agree this trinity photo is pretty comic accurate.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey everyone, stop bitching about Wonder Woman's look whether you think she's perfect or boney or whatever. You've all said your piece on it. Move on.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How about we worry about the performance or how the character is used in the story and stop whining about how a woman looks like a bunch of dumb neckbeards?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

I mean, come on. You at least have to agree this trinity photo is pretty comic accurate.

Bats looks bigger than Supes, which bugs me far more than anything to do with Wonder Woman.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Unmature posted:

How about we worry about the performance or how the character is used in the story and stop whining about how a woman looks like a bunch of dumb neckbeards?

I think complaints about her looks would be a lot more justified if she looked like a neckbeard.

I think that trinity photo looks poor. Batman looks actually fat (like if he was fat and hit the weights a lot but hadn't lost the fat yet) and I refuse to believe that Alfred would let that utility belt get so dirty, I don't like WW's costume but can't figure out why aside from wanting the skirt to be a bit longer (maybe the colors?), and the lines in Supe's costume make it look like his dick is so heavy that it's causing fabric stretching.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Unmature posted:

Put the misogyny card back in the deck, no one was complaining about her looks specifically because she was a woman or trying to treat her like a sex object or whatever the gently caress.

Zachack posted:

I think complaints about her looks would be a lot more justified if she looked like a neckbeard.

I think that trinity photo looks poor. Batman looks actually fat (like if he was fat and hit the weights a lot but hadn't lost the fat yet) and I refuse to believe that Alfred would let that utility belt get so dirty, I don't like WW's costume but can't figure out why aside from wanting the skirt to be a bit longer (maybe the colors?), and the lines in Supe's costume make it look like his dick is so heavy that it's causing fabric stretching.
I like WW's costume a lot but I agree about the colors. They're still too muted, although they're an enormous step up from the "poo poo brown" promo photo from SDCC or whenever (mostly in the sense that there actually is color). I think it's a cool looking costume that instantly says "Wonder Woman" without being too overtly sexualized with excessive cleavage or showing a ton of skin, I just think the colors are too muted.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gal isn't a very good actress so judging her based on that is not the gotcha you wanna pull.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

teagone posted:

Batman looks like a pudgy sad kid who gets bullied by the other superheroes when the cameras aren't rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Superman is the only character on that poster that doesn't look awful and he doesn't even look that great.

• Locked thread