Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Episode 1's intro was a phenomenal intro to the Borderlands universe as a whole, Episode 2's was the best song, Episode 3's was the most charming (Gortys and Loader Bot being cute on the roof :3:), Episode 4's was the funniest, Episode 5's was the most amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PantsBandit posted:

So here's a question: which episode had the best intro? I'm split between the final ep and episode 2. I think I'd give a smallll edge to episode 2 and the completely amazing slow-mo sequence but goddamn this series had some loving great intro sequences.

I'm split between 1 and 4, with 3 and 5 battling it out for the next slot. 2 is actually my least favorite, but that's like saying chocolate is my least favorite cupcake.

Gun to my head, I'd probably pick 1 as my favorite. "Busy Earnin'" is the only song that fits so perfectly it might as well have been written for this game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
4 is my favourite so far. It's a perfect combonation of funny and effective, the music just really gets you pumped for the episode. It's the best mix of "This is really silly" and "Wow, this is one hell of a ride"

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Waffleman_ posted:

I bet none of that except the LOLRANDOMPSYCHO bullshit even comes up in the game.

Also I think a big reason people like Krieg so much is that using him in BL2 forces you to play counter to how shooters have "trained" you. Depending on your build, you actively WANT to take damage, soak up bullets, get lit on fire, go into near-death so you can blow yourself up... similarly with Gaige, you're purposely not bothering to aim and trying not to keep your gun topped off. It may seem like a small thing, but it's nice to have something take you out of the normal routine of a shooter and that sticks with a lot of people.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is Krieg the dude who kept appearing in the Next Time in TftB clip that never happened in-game? Like a little guy shooting a machine gun on top of a big guy?

Anyway, didn't we get a meat bicycle line from one of the psychos in ep 1?

PantsBandit posted:

So here's a question: which episode had the best intro? I'm split between the final ep and episode 2. I think I'd give a smallll edge to episode 2 and the completely amazing slow-mo sequence but goddamn this series had some loving great intro sequences.
100% episode 2 for me. The characters pulling apart in slow motion with the credits behind them and stuff? Beautiful.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm going to have to weigh in and also say episode 2 but they're all great.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Is Krieg the dude who kept appearing in the Next Time in TftB clip that never happened in-game? Like a little guy shooting a machine gun on top of a big guy?

Nah, that's the Hodunks. Tector and I forgot the other ones name.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Canonically the Hodunks should be dead. :colbert:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm hoping someone makes a compilation soon of the different scenes you can get in the vault monster vs gortys fight

Tried looking around for one but no luck.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jibo posted:

Canonically the Hodunks should be dead. :colbert:

I agree completely with this post. Zafords are the only clan worthy of surviving the war.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gonna buck the trend and say that 3 had the intro that felt the most polished and characterful, the road trip was a lot of fun and did a lot to smooth over any ruffled feathers in the group from the first two episodes. 1 was excellent for setting the mood and the sweet intro trend, 2 and 4 are both great and 5 to be honest was a bit meh because the engine just wasn't that suited to capturing the huge space calamity and Rhys and Fiona didn't have much to do in those pods.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

This is the best scene in the whole game. Fiona's expressions are perfect. :allears:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Paladin posted:

Also I think a big reason people like Krieg so much is that using him in BL2 forces you to play counter to how shooters have "trained" you. Depending on your build, you actively WANT to take damage, soak up bullets, get lit on fire, go into near-death so you can blow yourself up... similarly with Gaige, you're purposely not bothering to aim and trying not to keep your gun topped off. It may seem like a small thing, but it's nice to have something take you out of the normal routine of a shooter and that sticks with a lot of people.

This. I usually hate playing FPS's cause I'm bad at aiming, but Krieg's gameplay is so crazy and rewarding that it is the most fun I've ever had in an FPS. Plus he's got the best backstory. He's my favorite character. Ever.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

The only thing you missed out on with the mystery vault hunter was meeting the single most annoying character in the entire game series. Like, so annoying that he's hated by every single character in the Borderlands universe, not just players. He is canonically an obnoxious, incompetent piece of poo poo that everybody loathes.

I like Claptrap. :( He might be my favorite character.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Everytime I look at this, I can't help but notice how small Scooters face is. It looks like he has way to much empty space on his head left.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Air is lava! posted:

Everytime I look at this, I can't help but notice how small Scooters face is. It looks like he has way to much empty space on his head left.

Scooter's kind of an unfortunate man, in many ways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I, uh, bought Busy Earnin' on iTunes. Maybe the other intros will follow?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waffleman_ posted:

I, uh, bought Busy Earnin' on iTunes. Maybe the other intros will follow?

That and Kiss The Sky were standouts for me I think

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PantsBandit posted:

Finished the finale last night. I love love loved it. I can't decide if this episode or the final episode of TWDS1 was better, they both struck very different chords obvi.

Some small nagging issues I had with it:

[spoiler]Apparently Athena survives? I looked it up and I guess her survival is explained in another Borderlands game or some poo poo. I think that is horseshit, Fiona doesn't even react to the fact that her mentor didn't get blown up by a rocket after all. Felt very sloppy.

We knew she wasn't dead even as Brick was dragging her off. It was never even a thing for you to believe that Valerie's rocket killed her. Brick says they're bring her back to put her on trial/execute her as he's walking off screen.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

To be a little more positive, I liked how they had multiple instances where characters who are clearly complete dickheads that deserve their fates try to appeal to your conscience. Like, did anyone actually save Yvette? "Oh, you don't understand they told me they'd keep you safe!" Uhhhh....yeah sure. Kinda sounded like you were really wanting me dead last episode but I'll go ahead and open this door for you anyway!

Jack too. No we are not alike Jack. You are a literally insane person.

I actually did save Yvette, the way I figured it is that while she may have betrayed me she did give me Loader Bot. Also whatever, betrayal happens everywhere and I got my revenge by going full blown Vasquez and threatening the poo poo out of her when in disguise

Also yeah, all the intros are really great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also it's not "sloppy storytelling" to provide context for a major event that defined a previous game in a series that this IP is canonically a part of. That's literally the opposite of sloppy storytelling, respecting established canon and the larger narrative that this game inhabited

Also the conversation with Springs you have after Athena's capture totally spells out that she's alive if you didn't catch it before

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I've never played Borderlands but I actually watched the scene where Athena got captured, which is not the same thing as getting killed at all, and thus was not surprised that she was in fact not dead. It's not like you need some external cannon knowledge to understand Athena isn't dead because the game literally never showed her dying. Arguably, they could give an explanation of why she is no longer captured, but obviously it is because she escaped or was let go or whatever. I never felt like the plot needed to address it or anything in the same way the game never explained why those two guys wanted to capture Athena to begin with (in this game, if that is explained in the other games IDK, but it never mattered to me to explain stuff like that).

e: The real missed opportunity was to not have Shade as an option in the final battle.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 22, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zeron posted:

I actually did save Yvette, the way I figured it is that while she may have betrayed me she did give me Loader Bot. Also whatever, betrayal happens everywhere and I got my revenge by going full blown Vasquez and threatening the poo poo out of her when in disguise

drat right betrayal happens everywhere. If loving Vaughn can get away with selling me out, so can Yvette. On Helios you breathe the air in with the distrust.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For reference to people who didn't play Pre-Sequel, the people who captured Athena were Brick and Mordecai, two of the original vault hunters from BL1 who get severely hosed over by Jack in BL2 (Jack gets Mordecai's pet bird monster thing killed- look, it's a way bigger deal than you'd think - and Brick loses his close friend and fellow BL1 vault hunter Roland (who's assassinated by Jack))

In Pre-Sequel, which takes place before the events of 2 or Tales, Athena is hired as a vault hunter by the idealistic, pre-fall into corruption Jack to clean up the moon from gangs of terrorist thugs. Athena gets, over the course of the game, completely disgusted with Jack's actions, meets and falls in love with Janey, and both of them move off of the moon and basically into seclusion. Then everything in Borderlands 2 happens, Jack is unseated and then killed by the Borderlands 2 and 1 Vault Hunters, and Lilith begins a bloody campaign of revenge on everyone who profited from Jack's crimes.

This obviously includes Athena, who despite having nothing to do with any form of association with Jack at that point enabled his rise to power and some of his more monstrous acts. Brick and Mordecai then capture Athena in episode 3 of Tales, who's hauled off to where Lilith and everyone is holed up to explain herself (this is the framing device for Pre-Sequel, by the way; she's explaining what happened on Elpis (Pandora's moon) before the events of Borderlands 2). Lilith is about to kill her when one of those weird guardians that showed up at the end of episode 5 of Tales shows up and says that she's needed for an upcoming "war". She somehow was able to parlay that stay of execution into some sort of escape from Brick, Mordecai, and Lilith, and ended up back on Pandora with Springs working as a grill cook before Rhys and Fiona snatch her up for the whole episode 5 thing

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

I agree completely with this post. Zafords are the only clan worthy of surviving the war.

I don't know if Gearbox actually has the metrics on it, but I'd guess more people ended up killing the Zafords in order to get the Maggie. Killing the Hodunks only gets you the Slagga which is sort of meh until UVHM.

So It Goes posted:

e: The real missed opportunity was to not have Shade as an option in the final battle.

I have no idea what Shade would do in combat when his only talent is creepy taxidermy but I would be 100% willing to find out.

Toxxupation posted:

In Pre-Sequel, which takes place before the events of 2 or Tales, Athena is hired as a vault hunter by the idealistic, pre-fall into corruption Jack to clean up the moon from gangs of terrorist thugs.

Actually Athena and the TPS crew (minus Claptrap I think) were hired to find the Vault on Elpis. Jack was just as surprised as anybody else when the Lost Legion attacked Helios as the Vault Hunters were arriving. Claptrap, and I have to stress that I could be completely wrong about this because I only played TPS once and it was as #1 Vault Hunter Tim, was I think jury-rigged to be combat-capable by Jack during the assault because he didn't have any military robots at the time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So what's the deal with those Guardian aliens? Because we killed quite a few of them both during the battle with the monster and then when the monster goes boom. Was it actually a bad idea to defeat the monster and loot the vault? Are the aliens the good guys and the tomb-looters the bad ones?

Also Yvette was basically another victim of the cutthroat corporate culture of Hyperion, if she hadn't tried selling you out when she did she'd just be putting her neck on the chopping block next to you. If you save her she goes to work for Vaughn and seems sincere. That's probably why the "Children of Hyperion" were still thankful to Rhys even if he killed half of them - destroying Hyperion and breaking the corporate chains that kept them in the rat race was probably worth the collateral.

Although I do wonder about that group. Were there families on Helios? Children and the like, or was it just a big evil office building? It's a little more plausible to think that if it was just a corporate building then a bunch of drones would decide that primitive living on Pandora is better than going home and finding a new dead-end job, but if Rhys had crashed a fully-fledged colony that'd probably be a bit touchier. Presumably anyone who had money or a life to go back to would take one of those Hyperion starships back to... whatever planet passes for civilization in the Borderlands universe.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dolash posted:

Although I do wonder about that group. Were there families on Helios?

Evil families. Don't sweat it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dolash posted:

So what's the deal with those Guardian aliens?

Those things show up in front of every Vault. Whatever their true purpose is is never stated. Vaults always have several things that are the same about each one. They all need keys of some form or other, they all have the Guardians attacking anything getting close to the vaults, and they allhave a giant monster protecting them/sealed away inside until the vault is opened.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dolash posted:

So what's the deal with those Guardian aliens? Because we killed quite a few of them both during the battle with the monster and then when the monster goes boom. Was it actually a bad idea to defeat the monster and loot the vault? Are the aliens the good guys and the tomb-looters the bad ones?

Okay this is a sort of "backstory of the whole Borderlands universe question" but let me try not to drag you down with details. Those dudes were the Eridians, the ones who made the Vaults in the first place. Maybe. Eridians definitely made the vaults but it's not totally clear if the Guardians are Eridians or were just left there. ANYWAY, there are Vaults scattered around across the entire universe on various planets but until recently people only knew of one Vault on Pandora and even that was considered a fairy tale. Showing up on Pandora looking for the Vault was like showing up in the Midwest looking for Bigfoot - most people rolled their eyes and stayed out of your way. The Vault was said to contain great treasure but the plot of Borderlands 1 is finding it and when you open it at the end of the game, there's no treasure to be had. Just a big tentacled monster and a lot of complaints. This is the Vault of the Ravager. Theories from BL1 were that the Vaults were effectively prisons.

In the Pre-Sequel, there's a Vault on the moon, Elpis, which the Lost Legion has already opened and is bound and determined that nobody else will because they claim that it'll bring about a war that we aren't ready for. Jack blows right past that argument, sort of justifiably because the Lost Legion was backing that claim up by trying to blow up Helios (and the entire loving moon) which at that point was genuinely innocent of any wrong-doing. I mean, as much as it could be. It was Helios, it was still a corporate shithole. The Vault Jack ultimately ends up gaining access to on Elpis is the Vault of the Sentinel, which contains a monster but also contains a glowing sigil which imparts knowledge to Jack of another Vault on Pandora and a vision of the future. Jack is interrupted and horribly scarred (hence the mask) and the sigil is destroyed but Jack knows enough to start going after the next one.

In BL2, you're chasing down the same Vault Jack is, the Vault of the Warrior. The Vault also contains a monster and Jack knows it, but he also knows that the person who uses the Vault key will be able to control the Warrior, a giant dragon monster, that he intends to use to drown Pandora in righteous hellfire. Jack ultimately succeeds at opening the Vault and controlling the Warrior, but both he and the Warrior are killed by the protags because of course they are. After Jack and the Warriors death, a console in the Vault reveals that there are Vaults all over the universe rather than just on Pandora (BL2 came out before TPS, but follows it chronologically). This reveal is why a lot of people think the next Borderlands game will be an MMO. There's a couple other Vaults in BL2 DLCs and they're all just treasure pits.

And now we've got the Vault of the Traveler, which contains a monster like all the others but the ending leaves it ambiguous as to what the Traveler was guarding, assuming he was guarding it at all. Basically, we don't know if the Eridians were good guys or not because it's not clear what the Vaults even are. Sometimes they contain sweet loot, most of the time they just contain a really big monster. Are they prisons? Are they repositories of technology we can't comprehend? I dunno. That said, nobody in the Borderlands universe is "the good guys". Nobody's got a clean moral slate here.

quote:

Although I do wonder about that group. Were there families on Helios? Children and the like, or was it just a big evil office building? It's a little more plausible to think that if it was just a corporate building then a bunch of drones would decide that primitive living on Pandora is better than going home and finding a new dead-end job, but if Rhys had crashed a fully-fledged colony that'd probably be a bit touchier. Presumably anyone who had money or a life to go back to would take one of those Hyperion starships back to... whatever planet passes for civilization in the Borderlands universe.

Realistically, there were definitely families on Helios. Nobody lives on Pandora if they can help it and Elpis is a small, backwater pisshole full of Space-Australians (you think I'm joking and I'm not). Helios is a MASSIVE complex that probably housed millions of people. That's sort of why Jack said that Rhys killed more people at one time than Jack ever did. Telltale and Gearbox will probably avoid addressing that though.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's also been implied that the Guardians are just robots built by the Eridians, and the only "real" alien seen in the Borderlands universe so far is the one that appears at the very beginning and very end of the Presequel (which IIRC looks a little different.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

like realtalk if you enjoyed tales i would strongly recommend you play through Pre-Sequel, because it gives a bunch of fairly useful character flavor to a bunch of characters that are fairly major in Tales

Personally i think its gameplay is overall the strongest of the three borderlands games (the addition of low gravity and the oxygen thing adds a whole lot of verticality and flexibility to its combat) and, before Tales, it's the best written of the three games, able to turn Jack from the " completely monstrous joke of a human being" he was in 2 into "an rear end in a top hat, but one who had coherent reasons for why he was doing what he was doing even if they were horrible things he was doing". the grounding and pathos that makes Tales Jack so compelling was started in Pre-Sequel

plus, you can play as Athena. who owns.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there a loot table cheat engine like there was for 2? I played through PS as Athena (which was pretty cool) but haven't played either of the new characters yet.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
For anyone interested, the developers are doing an AMA right now: https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/101120/we-are-the-tales-from-the-borderlands-dev-team-ama/p1

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DivisionPost posted:

drat right betrayal happens everywhere. If loving Vaughn can get away with selling me out, so can Yvette. On Helios you breathe the air in with the distrust.

At least Vaughn seemed repentant about it. The player doesn't know the whole story behind his betrayal so that's just a judgement call based on what you think of Vaughn and his motivations at the time. Personally, I thought he was someone who was a coward first and a good friend second. Yvette on the other hand straight up chews out fake Vasquez because he didn't kill you hard enough. No question there in my mind, she had it coming. I can excuse cowardice more easily than greed.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 23, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Kaethela posted:

This is the best scene in the whole game. Fiona's expressions are perfect. :allears:
Telltale's facial animation systems have gotten pretty awesome. Now I just wish they could somehow mash them together in some Frankesteinian fashion with mocapped body animations like Life is Strange does, then everything would be beautiful.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vaughn said he went along with the betrayal just to keep them happy, and it's fairly believable he was truthful there. He's smart enough to know there's a good chance even if he betrayed Rhys he'd be the next one on the chopping block.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah I was pretty okay with forgiving Vaughn because Vasquez offers you the same deal and the boys really are up poo poo creek without a paddle. Telling Vasquez what he wants to hear so they can get the hell out is perfectly reasonable.

Meanwhile, your first meeting with Yvette once you're back on Helios is her complaining that R&D wanted Rhys' head and you blew it up. Not real inclined to be friendly over that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

And Vaughn's your bro, bro!

If you don't get the bro scene, I'm not sure if it shows up or not depending on dialogue choices? you should watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMCuJTqkPJI

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Telltale's facial animation systems have gotten pretty awesome. Now I just wish they could somehow mash them together in some Frankesteinian fashion with mocapped body animations like Life is Strange does, then everything would be beautiful.

The only thing is when I first ran into Yvette again in Ep 4 her facial animations seemed to be switching between a grimace and a smile. I thought it might she was kind of winking like she was playing along with the joke. I figured some flag was set wrong. I don't know if it was just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wait I don't remember Vaughn betraying me, I only remember him being my best bro forever

• Locked thread