Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Marchegiana posted:

In my old store, any store supplies that went over budget had a negative impact on the managers' end of year bonus. So if your store does things in a similar fashion she's probably using that bullshit to hide her greed.

Used to be that way. These days managers don't get bonuses (except store managers and ASMs I think, and even that is poo poo).

Being in management in my company is poo poo, especially these days. Department Managers used to get put on a decent salary of around $55k, with 2ICs getting around 50ish. Now they're lucky if they get $40-45k a year. Have to work overtime, no bonus any more, metric fucktonne more responsibility for maybe $5000 more a year than your average poo poo-kicker.

Don't get me wrong - I'd totally be a manager if offered - but gently caress that salary business right off, I'd only do it if I could stay an EBA employee who got bumped up 2 or 3 pay grades. Extra couple of hundred buck a week and you get to piss off after your 38 hours. (Unless you're really needed, then it's all sweet sweet overtime). The option is there, but the company never does it, for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

princecoo posted:

Used to be that way. These days managers don't get bonuses (except store managers and ASMs I think, and even that is poo poo).

Being in management in my company is poo poo, especially these days. Department Managers used to get put on a decent salary of around $55k, with 2ICs getting around 50ish. Now they're lucky if they get $40-45k a year. Have to work overtime, no bonus any more, metric fucktonne more responsibility for maybe $5000 more a year than your average poo poo-kicker.

Don't get me wrong - I'd totally be a manager if offered - but gently caress that salary business right off, I'd only do it if I could stay an EBA employee who got bumped up 2 or 3 pay grades. Extra couple of hundred buck a week and you get to piss off after your 38 hours. (Unless you're really needed, then it's all sweet sweet overtime). The option is there, but the company never does it, for obvious reasons.

That's an exaggeration. I'm pretty sure we work in the same company. A full time grunt at grade 2 pay would earn just over 42k a year gross, assuming they never work sundays or public holidays. Department managers on EBA rather than salary earn grade 4, which would give you an extra $70 a week, not the couple of hundred you suggest. Ok for a 2IC, certainly not worth it for a department manager. Salaries start low (likely not as low as you're suggesting though - I'd say late 40s to maybe 50k would be a more realistic starting salary) but the whole point of salaries is that once you're on a salary, for the first time ever you are subject to a formal performance review process which leads to regular increases to that salary, even if you never move past department manager. There are department managers in my store who have been in management for a number of years who are getting salaries around the 70-75k mark - even without bonuses, that's decent pay, and if you work say, front end, you can comfortably get a way with working 40-45 hours a week outside of christmas and easter.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
It's that time again that I leave retail, but this time it's an office job! It's only .50 more than what I make at Home Depot but it's full time and the elusive "office" experience that all employers want these days. Hope I can survive wearing business casual every day, so used to jeans now. Never give up, apply for every job you can!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

That's an exaggeration. I'm pretty sure we work in the same company. A full time grunt at grade 2 pay would earn just over 42k a year gross, assuming they never work sundays or public holidays. Department managers on EBA rather than salary earn grade 4, which would give you an extra $70 a week, not the couple of hundred you suggest. Ok for a 2IC, certainly not worth it for a department manager. Salaries start low (likely not as low as you're suggesting though - I'd say late 40s to maybe 50k would be a more realistic starting salary) but the whole point of salaries is that once you're on a salary, for the first time ever you are subject to a formal performance review process which leads to regular increases to that salary, even if you never move past department manager. There are department managers in my store who have been in management for a number of years who are getting salaries around the 70-75k mark - even without bonuses, that's decent pay, and if you work say, front end, you can comfortably get a way with working 40-45 hours a week outside of christmas and easter.

Not in my store. Sure, under the old system department managers could possibly make up to 70k but not for a couple of years now. The salary they are offered now (at least in my store) is laughably low. Case in point, we have a produce manager who was promoted to management before the changes who is on $58k now (only one pay increase in the last 4 years) and a deli manager who was promoted just after the changes who was on 45k. I've spoken with the managers and they all agree that it's simply not worth it anymore. I'll compare my wage with that of a manager in the job 3 years and you're right, they're making about $70 a week more, which is hosed.

I'll concede that I may be wrong generally, as I don't have experience outside my store, but where I work it is absolutely true. That produce manager I refered to started on $55k.

And don't even get me started on the performance reviews - if the store manager decides he doesn't like you or decides he wants someone else in the job, lol if you think you're getting a good one.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I lost about 40 minutes to a colossal bitch of a customer today. Over half of that was on the phone twice with her. We tried ordering in a piece of meat for her a couple days ago with the caveat of possibly not being able to get it in. This was explained to her a couple days ago by someone else. Today she called about it and sure enough, we didn't get it in because warehouse was out. She went off on me saying how she had a party of 15 people, how she supposedly spends over $5000 a month here (bullshit, we're a grocery store), we should know how to do our job and that it isn't hard at all. She said that if she was the manager she would do go through certain channels to make sure it comes in. She let me know that we don't know what we're doing and that we shouldn't be working there if we don't know how to get an item in and that we should hire someone else.

After about 20 minutes talking to her on the phone, I started raising my voice at her letting her know what her final options were (me trying to reorder again, or I can call nearby stores to see if they have them), and if we still couldn't get them in, tough poo poo. It's been a while since the last time I had to deal with a massive bitch/rear end in a top hat, and I was about ready to just hang up on her.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I've hung up on people like that. It's not worth my time and sanity to deal with that. I was lucky that all the managers were my friends but still

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

princecoo posted:

So that front end manager didn't order bags - again - this time we completely ran out. We had a lot of pissed off customers today.

Turns out she was told a little while ago that she's only allowed to order a maximum of 2 pallets of bags a month. An absolutely bullshit order, since we go through a pallet in a week, (more some weeks when the people who live on rural properties come in and do a months worth of shopping) and we're coming up on Christmas, so that's going to increase the bags too. Not to mention that since the store refit they removed 2 checkouts and replaced them with self service checkouts (bringing our number of self service checkouts to 8). Customers pack their own bags there, and will not be told how to pack more efficiently because gently caress you that's why.

If you need more supplies to make your department run, loving order them. Don't just watch helplessly as everything turns to poo poo then blame some bullshit "maximum order" directive. I'd rather go over budget than piss off an entire town and have everyone bitching out my staff because I couldn't loving think for myself.

Hey man, Our distribution center ran out of bags a couple weeks ago and all we had to offer customers for a while was the 2 dollar canvas bags from the fashion department.

We now have 1 dollar environmental bags back in Stock but the dc still doesn't have any 15 cent paper bags which are the ones people go through the most

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I've hung up on people like that. It's not worth my time and sanity to deal with that. I was lucky that all the managers were my friends but still

Not even friends with managers, any decent store will allow you to refuse service to someone who is just going to yell at/scream at/insult you. That isn't your job, it's management's/corporate's. Even Target, one of the worst jobs I've ever had, where they would literally lock us in the store until 2-3 AM until we were done, allowed me to refer abusive customers to managers and exit the conversation.

Just the other day I had a guy who came to the paint department for knife sharpening stones. Told him we didn't have any here, check tools. Told me that paint has a tool section (we do, but it's brush combs and spackle scrapers, etc.) -- demands I show him where it is and get him a knife sharpener. OK, cool. Show him paint tools, get pissed that I was right and that he has to walk four aisles to get to tools. "I'm going to complain to corporate" "don't they train you guys?" "You don't know what the gently caress you're doing." Moment he swore, told him to have a good day, walked away. He complained to management (of course), I told manager my side of the story, front end backed me up, complaint tossed in garbage.

It isn't your problem, and gently caress any store who tells you it is. If management wants you to listen to people insulting you, then they can also pay you a lot more.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 23, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Reynold posted:

It depends on your credit card reader. It never worked on ours. Guess how people reacted when I told them this?

"Just try it anyway. It will work." is probably what they said.

just like the "Thats not the price that the sale sticker showed. Thats means its free."

or "I just made those bills a couple hours before coming in!"

"Uh yeah, that item was on a shelf in X(depertment no even related to said item) and the price sticker said Y. By law you have to give me that price." Side note to this one: Site the actual law and tell them they are wrong, and watch their face turn several shades of red ranging from 'mistakes were made' to 'gently caress it, im gonna beat your rear end but not actually' (only do this if its someone actually being a jerk.)

About 4 years ago, i had a lady come in, just pissed about every little thing in the store. She wanted to know where certain clothes were, then over to tools, then back to the clothing side, then over to furniture for her "final" item. "This store sucks. Your employees are awful" etc, etc, etc. She was given to me to deal with, like most of the problematic customers the managers and everyone else wont deal with.

customer "Wheres the price tag on this futon? Dont you idiots know the law? You have to have it priced or the customer gets it for free. Its a law to protect the Law Abiding citizens. Go get it. Ill have the truck ready by doors."
me: "Sorry ma'am, there is no such law. I can not and will not give you a $600 futon for free." As i said this, another associate called me on the walkie and said a customer had brought up a sales tag for the same futon and wanted it taken to layaway.

her "Your a loving idiot. Hey! You! Over here! I need help (she was franticly waving at another associate) Your idiot over here doesnt understand the law. Come over here!"

Before he could even say a word "Your such a good kid, you probably know the laws on this. You need to go get one of these for me since its free because he (points at me) failed to correctly price it!"

Other associate "I have no idea whats going on here."

me "Shes claiming she gets a free futon because another customer grabbed the tag to take to a cashier since they didnt see anyone over here. Go grab one and bring it to layaway."

crazy, now angry, failed attempted-con artist " Hey kid. Bring it to the west doors. This moron doesnt know the law! If you ever need a place to stay, you can live with me. I make really good food!"

And thats the story of how one of my coworkers was offered a place to live becuase i dont know fake, made up, bullshit laws.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 23, 2015

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Okay, so you got me thinking and I decided to check my facts.

You're right, there are department managers making $70 - $75k in the company, but those are apparently in "big" stores and that kind of money is few and far between. They've also been with the company a hell of a long time. My wife used to work with the company in a remote mining community and apparently DMs get great salaries there too, simply because getting staff to move to those sorts of places is next to impossible. The average is $50 - $55k a year, according to our ASM. Still not worth it when you're doing 15 hour days all week.

Managers promoted after the changes are extremely lucky if they break $50k, at least in my store. When you factor in the hours they pull, and extra days, they're not making much more than the average worker.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

just like the "Thats not the price that the sale sticker showed. Thats means its free."

That's actually true in Ontario (where I live), it's called the scanning code of practice or something and I think most retailers have to abide by it. At least, it applies for items under 10$, and only for the first item.

Of course this doesn't stop people from ignoring price stickers that have a sale date on them, or ignoring that the item was in the wrong place. Most people don't know it exists, but there's the odd person who, boy howdy knows, and is a giant dick about it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

That's actually true in Ontario (where I live), it's called the scanning code of practice or something and I think most retailers have to abide by it. At least, it applies for items under 10$, and only for the first item.

Of course this doesn't stop people from ignoring price stickers that have a sale date on them, or ignoring that the item was in the wrong place. Most people don't know it exists, but there's the odd person who, boy howdy knows, and is a giant dick about it.

Ouch... that really sucks.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My local grocery store has a policy that if the price at register doesn't match the tag (and you can prove it) the item is free... I feel really bad for their cashiers.

In other news of the weird and wonderful!

Today a man spent a few hours in our store on the store-provided mobility cart... barefoot. He apparently took his shoes off when he came in and was riding the cart around with his bony white feet proudly sticking out, poking at merchandise and generally being slightly odd. He made his way over to the aisle I was working at one point, prodded at some clearance blinds, asked me in accented English about sizes and colors, and pointed out one on the bottom shelf that he wanted. So I pulled it out, but noticed it was pretty dusty. Blew some dust off (aimed away from the customer to be polite) and started brushing the rest down with my hand. As soon as I started dusting he changed his mind. "Oh no; I have allergies," he said as though this was a particularly offensive thing I had personally wished upon him, and took off down the aisle as fast as the poor little scooter could move. He did not look back, he did not wait for me to follow him with the blind. He just puttered off, and I let him because I had less weird things to do with my day than chase down a barefoot foreigner to apologize for his dust allergy.

Did he somehow ignore the fact that he was in a giant dust-filled WAREHOUSE store and had been for hours (and he didn't leave the store after that either)? Did he think that the puff of dust I had blown off the box was going to cause anaphylaxis? Did he even want to purchase window treatments? And why in the name of all that is hygenic and sane did he think taking his shoes off on a public-use mobile scooter was sensible or acceptable? :iiam:

Come to think of it, when I noticed he was shoeless I should have insisted he put his shoes on before I would serve him. But I've been running really low on fucks to give and clearly nobody else said anything either, so whatever.

Edit: One of my coworkers saw him stand up and walk (still barefoot) in one of the aisles, too. Knowing what happens to those floors on a daily basis, I am thoroughly disgusted.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oxyclean posted:

...no. First, the Scanning Code is entirely voluntary. Second, if an item isn't priced properly at a participating retailer, you are only entitled to the listed price or half off the regular price, whichever is greater.

I've only ever seen it used to harass employees, never to the benefit of a customer.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

...no. First, the Scanning Code is entirely voluntary. Second, if an item isn't priced properly at a participating retailer, you are only entitled to the listed price or half off the regular price, whichever is greater.

I've only ever seen it used to harass employees, never to the benefit of a customer.

Nah, the scanning code of practice functions exactly as he described. It is voluntary, but if that sign is visible, you get $10 off the price it's supposed to scan at. A $70 SD card on sale for $60 that still scans at $70 is now $50.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well I may be getting another job.. still in retail though, but not in a store that will be shutting down in 3 weeks. As a bonus the store in question is a 2 minute walk from my door to theirs, I wont have to worry about my car passing smog (cause lord knows I drive anywhere else...). Interview on Tuesday, hope I don't gently caress it up :ohdear:

E: Surely working at a grocery store will be easier then working at a general store. No stupid company plans or cards or reward programs and no questions of "Which one works better?".

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 24, 2015

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Leal posted:

Well I may be getting another job.. still in retail though, but not in a store that will be shutting down in 3 weeks. As a bonus the store in question is a 2 minute walk from my door to theirs, I wont have to worry about my car passing smog (cause lord knows I drive anywhere else...). Interview on Tuesday, hope I don't gently caress it up :ohdear:

E: Surely working at a grocery store will be easier then working at a general store. No stupid company plans or cards or reward programs and no questions of "Which one works better?".

Probably no different tbh

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Inco posted:

Nah, the scanning code of practice functions exactly as he described. It is voluntary, but if that sign is visible, you get $10 off the price it's supposed to scan at. A $70 SD card on sale for $60 that still scans at $70 is now $50.

Supermarkets in Australia have a scanning code of practice, and if an item scans at a price different from what is listed, then the customer gets it for free - generally everyone knows this; but there are exceptions that cause problems sometimes - items over $50 are exempt, as are smoking products, since it's illegal to discount those in any way or offer incentives for purchasing them. Also if a customer buys multiple of a product they only get one free and the rest at the correct price. It also doesn't apply to human error - for eg a cashier ringing something up as royal gala apples instead of pink lady apples.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So I spent the first two hours of my shift last night wasting time in the office because I would've had a whopping two hours of overtime if I clocked in before midnight and we were told that anybody that had overtime was getting written up for it. Half of the people there last night had to sit out an hour or so for the same reason, so jack poo poo got done. I'm sure when the store manager walked in they flipped their lid, and it's too bad because a week ago, before they said we had to cut 800 loving hours every week, the backroom was all nice and neat thanks to people willing to work extra for that sweet overtime pay. After last night I was ready to just drop everything and walk out the door.

I don't get it, we work hard to get things in a way better condition compared to previous years, and I know at this time the last two years the backroom was a disaster and it was a struggle to fit anything in there at the end of the night and we had twice as many people, and we get punished for it. We build features of excess toilet paper and paper towels and the market manager visits and forces us to throw it all back in the backroom because we're suddenly not allowed to have any 8 foot features in action alley. Work an extra day and completely empty the backroom? Management climbs up your rear end about overtime. We're short 120-160 manhours per week, even if we made all part-time associates work 40 hours, and management doesn't give a poo poo, they want more hours cut. How do they expect anything to get done?

They also changed our job codes for some unknown reason so, as an overnight support manager, where I could previously be backup csm and use the handhelds to remotely approve returns, now I'm locked out of that and if we don't have a csm, and one is on a leave of absence, I have to run all the way up to the front to do a key-flick and then all the way back to where I was working instead of just pushing a button. I'm also not allowed access to Pick Up Today, despite it being one of my nightly tasks, or TMAT.

I mean it was rough when I got promoted and then it got a lot better until they did their line in the sand poo poo and now its 100% loving terrible, but at least we got shiny new badges because that's what’s important.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Thank god my managers are just kinda like "Oh you're in overtime? Whelp you may as well stay the rest of the day since we already let you stay too long :shrug:"

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Thank God I'm in Australia where 99% of all that bullshit you guys put up with is illegal and we can actually earn a living wage.

Retail still sucks, though.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Hostile V posted:

There's nothing like doing stock and realizing you're selling candy, nacho chips, nacho cheese and butter that's at least a year past the sell-by date, telling the managers, watching them complain to the supply company that gives you your food, then getting more of the out-of-date product shipped to you once a week for like 5 months.

(This happened years ago but I'm bringing it up for "how old is this?" chat)

I once went through the big walk in fridge at the theatre I worked at and pulled out an entire garbage boat of food items that had been expired for quite a while. I also once refused delivery of a bunch of soda syrup for lame flavours that was set to expire within the following week or two. I wasn't a manager/supervisor and the actual manager got kind of crooked at me for doing it, but I was in the right. We would have just had to throw it out anyways.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jesus Christ, I think nature is out to get me.

Yesterday I was outside for all of 1 minute pulling the plastic off a stack of mulch when a bird managed to take a gigantic loving poo poo all down the front of my shirt. Luckily I had a spare since I bike to work (it's a short ride so it's not really sweaty or anything.)

Today I was out to fill a customer's propane tank. As I reach the fill station it begins to rain; it rains harder as I begin filling the tank until it's just straight up pouring. I give the customer his tank and walk back inside and it stops. loving

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Leal posted:

I've worked at a few big box stores, and now work at a big name grocery chain. Comparing the two, the supermarket is way less 'I want to kill myself and everyone around me', and more 'Ho-hum, this is kind of boring. I wish I had work to do. Can I go home yet?'

If you're stocking, it's piss easy work. Time flies when you get into the groove of putting things on shelves and making them look nice. Managers will generally leave you the gently caress alone to do whatever it is you're doing, too.

If you're on front end, your mileage may vary. It always feels like we're slammed, or I'm left standing around, dick in hand, with nothing to do. Depending on the grocery store and how old your registers are, being a cashier can suck, especially when you don't know the codes. If you want to get called in a lot, learn how to work a register.

You might get asked to solicit donations for charity, but that's been pretty infrequent at my store. Credit cards are around, but we usually just have one day a month where the store's credit card rep shows up to sign people up. That's it. No warranties, no bullshit.

The biggest difference I've found is that there is a lot more emphasis on customer service at the supermarket. If your manager cares, you'll be expected to greet everyone. If someone wants to talk, talk. There's also a lot more secret shopping going on. In the past month, I've gotten shopped 3 times.

If you're in the deli, meat, or whatever, you might also want to know things like 'how many cold cuts will I need to make a party platter for 20 people?', or 'how much chicken will I need for a BBQ?', because those are the types of questions you will be graded on. Being friendly and polite will go a long way.

If you get the job, prepare your rear end in a top hat for senior day :kheldragar:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

On a related note, I've managed to "promote" from courtesy clerk up to cheese monger, I'm going to monger all the cheeses

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Yesterday was my first annual review! I scored very high on all categories, so they gave me the maximum raise possible: a whopping 3%.

My wage is poo poo, so that 3% = .25 an hour. I earn a dollar more for every 4 hours I work (before taxes).

...yay?

Bomrek fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 26, 2015

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Bomrek posted:

Yesterday was my first annual review! I scored very high on all categories, so they gave me the maximum raise possible: a whopping 3%.

My wage is poo poo, so that 3% = .25 an hour. I earn a dollar more for every 4 hours I work (before taxes).

...yay?

Too bad that doesn't even cover the cost of inflation/increase in cost of living for most places

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Too bad that doesn't even cover the cost of inflation/increase in cost of living for most places

Retail.txt

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Training people who you know are going to replace you. It is a toss up between sabotage and professionalism. Dilemma...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

thewireguy posted:

Training people who you know are going to replace you. It is a toss up between sabotage and professionalism. Dilemma...

What will you gain from training them properly? On the other hand, what do you lose if you train them poorly? Weigh the positives and negatives and strike the most personally profitable balance.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Bomrek posted:

Annual reviews are almost always bullshit. When I worked at Target, just after the credit breach, they were told to give everyone except the absolute top performer a lovely review so we got lovely raises. To the point that they even sat us down and told us "look, you're great, and I'm sorry, but we had to give you 'needs improvement' in every category..."

I got a $.06/hr raise that year. Not a typo -- six cents.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I got a $.06/hr raise that year. Not a typo -- six cents.

All the Walmart department managers at my store were supposed to get a pay raise to $13 if they weren't there yet. I was hired on at that rate, but my wife was given a $0.01 raise instead of the $1.00 that would have brought her to $13. Corporate and HR know about it but they're unwilling and/or incapable of doing anything about it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I was listening to my manager and a co-manager talk about minimum wage the other day.

Co-manager, a guy in his mid-thirties, was pissed off that Wal-Mart and Target were raising their wages. He also said that it wouldn't be worth it to do his job anymore if Bernie raised minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour, because everyone at the store would be making as much money as him, even the baggers. :qq:

Move over. I'll do your drat job for 15 dollars an hour. Hell, pay everyone 20 dollars an hour. I'll still take the 15 and do your job.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was listening to my manager and a co-manager talk about minimum wage the other day.

Co-manager, a guy in his mid-thirties, was pissed off that Wal-Mart and Target were raising their wages. He also said that it wouldn't be worth it to do his job anymore if Bernie raised minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour, because everyone at the store would be making as much money as him, even the baggers. :qq:

Move over. I'll do your drat job for 15 dollars an hour. Hell, pay everyone 20 dollars an hour. I'll still take the 15 and do your job.

Holy poo poo, a retail manager opposes a minimum wage hike because it would make him feel less superior? Humans are awful.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Pumpy Dumper posted:

That is precisely true. My rent currently accounts for approximately 80% of my expenses. I am moving in a month; my rent will only go up.

Ask me about living on rice and beans for six years! :negative:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Holy poo poo, a retail manager opposes a minimum wage hike because it would make him feel less superior? Humans are awful.

There was a study a few years back that I discussed with a friend of mine. I can't remember the name of it, but it was really interesting, in a depressing sort of way. The people conducting the study surveyed a variety of Americans, and asked them questions such as 'Would you rather get 10,000 dollars and all your neighbors 8,000 dollars, or would you rather get 2,000 dollars, and your neighbors got nothing?'

A majority of people consistently chose to receive less money, so long as their neighbors would get nothing. :smith:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My own father also opposes it for the same reason. He makes $15/hr, and so it would be absolutely unfair if I made $15/hr doing retail work. This is literally his only argument against it -- everyone would get paid as much as him, so he doesn't get to feel superior to anyone, and that isn't fair.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

My own father also opposes it for the same reason. He makes $15/hr, and so it would be absolutely unfair if I made $15/hr doing retail work. This is literally his only argument against it -- everyone would get paid as much as him, so he doesn't get to feel superior to anyone, and that isn't fair.

It is always funny how supervisors, mid-managers, and semi-skilled don't realize that increasing the minimum wage would compel businesses to raise manager wages in order to not lose them.

But I guess "gently caress you, I got mine" is easier to comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The worst part in managing a multi-person department is having to babysit a bunch of man-babies. The ordering, working 10x harder, taking inventory, and other manager duties is the easy part. I'm getting sick and tired of constantly asking people nicely to their job. It's gotten to a point where we're having to use written disciplinary action against several people so they'll actually do their job when we're not looking in their direction. If these kinds of people get a wage hike right up to what I make, then gently caress it, I'll step down and do their job which is 10x easier, 10x more brainless, and has a lot fewer responsibilities. It's amazing how many people make a simple job so loving hard.

With that being said, I'm all for giving everyone a raise up to what I make, but they better pay me more if I'm ultimately going to be held responsible for the department. So I can understand when some of these people say it's not worth it to do their job if minimum wage increases that much. Management who say that the non-management employees shouldn't get a raise is extremely short sighted and mean.

I was checking to see how many cost of living raises I've gotten since I've topped out on the pay scale. Looks like five .25 raises in the last 7 years. Hopefully I'll get another one in a month.

ijii fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 26, 2015