Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That seems rather dumb when the game is supposed to be about shooting demons and not waiting around for demons to kill themselves. Yeah, it's a possible route to victory but not a very fun one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ramos posted:

That seems rather dumb when the game is supposed to be about shooting demons and not waiting around for demons to kill themselves. Yeah, it's a possible route to victory but not a very fun one.

I remember a video with two large bosses stuck on platforms, and you are supposed to get them to fight then finish off the victor. Sadly I only have the shareware version of doom.

Edit: A few maps practically require and revolve around demon infighting.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 21, 2015

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Ramos posted:

I think it's a fantastic gameplay element. It depicts the forces of hell as a bloodthirsty, uncontrollable force, which is cool as gently caress.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SugarAddict posted:

I remember a video with two large bosses stuck on platforms, and you are supposed to get them to fight then finish off the victor. Sadly I only have the shareware version of doom.
That would be Doom II, MAP20: Gotcha!

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but
:siren:UPDATE TIME!:siren:

s6p1 - Featuring Mialath and FlubGlub

So, this starts the last episode of . There's only a few parts left before we move on to .

I'm still interested in doing some multiplayer stuff (probably on the weekends, now, I'm at work during the week) if anyone else wants to try and join in on that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I wasn't able to get them to infight when I played that a few months ago, so I just killed them both. Never been too good at the infighting thing. I run in circles, what more do they want.

I've been digging these videos, getting a taste of various wads, a lot I'd heard of. What are your favs so far, a few single-player centric episodes or megawads you're finding stand out as the most fun? I'm always looking for recommendations.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

I wasn't able to get them to infight when I played that a few months ago, so I just killed them both. Never been too good at the infighting thing. I run in circles, what more do they want.

I've been digging these videos, getting a taste of various wads, a lot I'd heard of. What are your favs so far, a few single-player centric episodes or megawads you're finding stand out as the most fun? I'm always looking for recommendations.

I was going to say "they've all been good" but that's a bold faced lie. I'm a big fan of maps that are well designed and not stupidly difficult (mostly because I'm not the best at the game). Some of my standout favorites have been "DooM the Way ID did", "Hell Ground", and "Suspended in Dusk" in terms of cool maps. One of the other maps that was really inventive (but more on the stupidly difficult side) was imposs.wad. It's got some of the most interesting level design I've seen in a shooter, period. All of the map packs are fairly hit or miss, with some of the maps being really good, while others are just pure junk.

I think that the one's that try and add a story to the mix mostly fall flat. DooM's just not the kind of game that really works with/needs a story when you get right down to it.

As far as the gameplay wads go, I'm having a lot of fun with "DooMRL Arsenal" as well as "DooM RPG". The two mix together pretty well. Most of the gameplay wads have been good, in general, but those are the two I've probably spent the most time with.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Twiggymouse posted:

I was going to say "they've all been good" but that's a bold faced lie. I'm a big fan of maps that are well designed and not stupidly difficult (mostly because I'm not the best at the game). Some of my standout favorites have been "DooM the Way ID did", "Hell Ground", and "Suspended in Dusk" in terms of cool maps. One of the other maps that was really inventive (but more on the stupidly difficult side) was imposs.wad. It's got some of the most interesting level design I've seen in a shooter, period. All of the map packs are fairly hit or miss, with some of the maps being really good, while others are just pure junk.

I think that the one's that try and add a story to the mix mostly fall flat. DooM's just not the kind of game that really works with/needs a story when you get right down to it.

As far as the gameplay wads go, I'm having a lot of fun with "DooMRL Arsenal" as well as "DooM RPG". The two mix together pretty well. Most of the gameplay wads have been good, in general, but those are the two I've probably spent the most time with.

RIght on, thanks. I do dig SiD, been meaning to check out Doom The Way id Did, and Hell Ground looks pretty cool, will give those a go.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

s6p2 - Featuring Mialath and FlubGlub

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Love the thread! I've played some really fun wads because of it, thanks! Also, the heads up on DoomRL Arsenal/Monster Pack has completely reinvigorated my love for this game. I've been playing fth666 on nightmare and it's bonkers hard(until I got the white pistol that pairs with the anti-freak jackal and gave it firestorm... :drat:)

Not to hijack, but I've been thinking of doing a DoomRL + Monster Pack Nightmare or harder LP of reg Doom 2 and possibly more. Would anyone be interested in doing commentary if I can figure out how to cap/edit it?

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

BaconCopter posted:

Not to hijack, but I've been thinking of doing a DoomRL + Monster Pack Nightmare or harder LP of reg Doom 2 and possibly more. Would anyone be interested in doing commentary if I can figure out how to cap/edit it?

If you can get the videos put together, you can absolutely post them, here. As it's difficult for me to find time to do much of anything, these days, I won't add myself to the commentary list, but (and this is just to the thread in general) if you want to submit a video, go for it.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I've been playing a pretty neat level pack lately called Hellbound, along with a cool custom-weapon WAD called X-Weapon. The two together make for a pretty fun time!

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

s6p3 - Featuring Mialath

And thus concludes the first episode.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

:siren:UPDATE TIME:siren:

p1: Epic Nazis 2, Medieval Scythe, Happy Time Circus, Going Down, and Holy Hell (MAP05) - Featuring Mialath

And thus begins the second episode...

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

p2:The Sky May Be, Demon Steele, and Project MSX - Featuring Mialath

Please note that The Sky May Be uses some music that got content ID'd, so (if you don't use adblocker) you might get an ad on this one. Sorry, guys!

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I was pleased to find the guy who did The Sky May Be has the most comically posh English accent known to man

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised at the kind of changes you can get out of a full conversion. Project MSX looked pretty neat.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

p3: Mock 2: the Speed of Stupid and imposs.wad - Featuring Mialath

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

p4: Sonic Robo Blast 2 (The good Sonic wad) and Russian Overkill - Featuring Mialath

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Hey, all.

Quick thread update:
So, there's two more videos in the current episode, and then I've got five more videos (one finishing up Arcadia Demade and four for a DoomRPG/RL run through Suspended in Dusk) coming for episode 4.

And then that's it. I don't have anything else planned after that.
Which means if nothing else comes up and I get everything out on time, this thread will be done on January 1st, 2016.

So: If you guys want to see anything else--WADs I haven't played/played enough of, Multiplayer shenanigans--or get anything of yours into the thread, you've got about two months to do it.

Thanks for reading/watching!

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Well then I'm just in time! I'm months late with this, but now that I've got a new headset I've finally got something to add to the thread - I bring you Hellcore 2.0 MAP02.

I thought about promising to show it off like three times then never actually posted that promise, but basically I like MAP02 of this mod. Partly for the visual decor, partly out of nostalgia since this is a mod I first tried out in co-op with buddies. Is my like for the map misplaced nostalgia or is it actually better than MAP01? You decide!

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

p5: A Better DooM WAD Pulled Out of My rear end, DooMRPG, and DooMRL Arsenal - Featuring Mialath

Kadorhal posted:

Well then I'm just in time! I'm months late with this, but now that I've got a new headset I've finally got something to add to the thread - I bring you Hellcore 2.0 MAP02.

I thought about promising to show it off like three times then never actually posted that promise, but basically I like MAP02 of this mod. Partly for the visual decor, partly out of nostalgia since this is a mod I first tried out in co-op with buddies. Is my like for the map misplaced nostalgia or is it actually better than MAP01? You decide!

Added to the OP. Cheers!

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

Oh awesome, you got around to the WAD I suggested! I'm glad you had fun with imposs.wad, as it really does feature some great mindfuck moments that you rarely see done well in games. The difficulty does steadily ramp up into fairly bullshit territory towards the end, unfortunately, but I encourage you to slap on godmode and give it another try if you're interested. I'm just happy that there's now some video of the WAD in action, as I don't believe anyone else has done a video of it, and I don't have the setup for it myself.

It's by and large my favourite Doom map just for all the weird stuff it does, like those imps that fade in and out of visibility, and all the M.C. Escher stuff it pulls. One thing to note is that, in the circular part with the Pain Elemental, there's a very high chance of getting telefragged if I recall correctly. The elemental or any of its lost souls can teleport in where you're standing, and I think it'll instakill you. Anyway, thanks again for taking a look at that WAD. Brings back some great memories of showing it around to my friends.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Eddy Rasta posted:

Oh awesome, you got around to the WAD I suggested! I'm glad you had fun with imposs.wad, as it really does feature some great mindfuck moments that you rarely see done well in games. The difficulty does steadily ramp up into fairly bullshit territory towards the end, unfortunately, but I encourage you to slap on godmode and give it another try if you're interested. I'm just happy that there's now some video of the WAD in action, as I don't believe anyone else has done a video of it, and I don't have the setup for it myself.

It's by and large my favourite Doom map just for all the weird stuff it does, like those imps that fade in and out of visibility, and all the M.C. Escher stuff it pulls. One thing to note is that, in the circular part with the Pain Elemental, there's a very high chance of getting telefragged if I recall correctly. The elemental or any of its lost souls can teleport in where you're standing, and I think it'll instakill you. Anyway, thanks again for taking a look at that WAD. Brings back some great memories of showing it around to my friends.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that map, and I'm definitely gonna put together a quick iddqd run through of it at some point.

Until then:

p6: X-Weapon: Helsturm, Metroid: Dreadnought, Guncaster: Anime, MegaMan: Deathmatch, and Zeldoom: the Disappointing DooM WAD - Featuring Mialath
Two of these things don't actually have subtitles.

And thus concludes the stuff on the list. Like I said, few more videos coming out after this, but then that's it.
Thanks for following along.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
But you can't have a DOOM wad thread without playing all the terrible e1m1 edits people used to make... Can you?

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Cheez posted:

But you can't have a DOOM wad thread without playing all the terrible e1m1 edits people used to make... Can you?

Just watch me.

Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 1

The first of four maps in the DooM RPG/RL Arsenal run through Suspended in Dusk.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

Just watch me.

Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 1

The first of four maps in the DooM RPG/RL Arsenal run through Suspended in Dusk.

That collection of wads mods looks fun as hell, but I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to get them all working together. I'll need to give it another shot one of these days.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

RickVoid posted:

That collection of wads mods looks fun as hell, but I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to get them all working together. I'll need to give it another shot one of these days.

I remembered you saying you had some difficulty with DooMRPG, and it's really not super easy to get it to work.

I had to download both the zip file and the launcher from here, then put all the wads I wanted to use for this (RL Arsenal and SID) into a separate folder that I told the launcher to pull wads from, then load up the launcher and select all of the WADs, manually, then launch DooMRPG from there.
And I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step where you actually set up the launcher, as well...

And even then, it's not the most stable of things. I had it crash three out of five times on me, and I'm really surprised and pleased that it didn't crash once during this run.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

I remembered you saying you had some difficulty with DooMRPG, and it's really not super easy to get it to work.

I had to download both the zip file and the launcher from here, then put all the wads I wanted to use for this (RL Arsenal and SID) into a separate folder that I told the launcher to pull wads from, then load up the launcher and select all of the WADs, manually, then launch DooMRPG from there.
And I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step where you actually set up the launcher, as well...

And even then, it's not the most stable of things. I had it crash three out of five times on me, and I'm really surprised and pleased that it didn't crash once during this run.

Ah. You really made it look a lot less janky than my experience with it was, so I'm both gratified and disappointed that it hasn't changed since the last time I tried.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 2

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Late update because of finals:

Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 3

Just one more video in this series, then maybe two more and that's all I've got set up.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The RPG roguelite mod looks rad as hell for Doom. I've seen some oddball ports of games into Doom, but that combination package looks the most fun to play even in this day and age besides just a gimmick novelty.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

The RPG roguelite mod looks rad as hell for Doom. I've seen some oddball ports of games into Doom, but that combination package looks the most fun to play even in this day and age besides just a gimmick novelty.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Have some more!:

Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 4 (Final)

End of the road on this one. Got another video coming for you, but it might be two weeks from now on account of the holidays and my not having recorded it yet.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

No update today on account of the holiday, gang. :sassargh: Hope those of you that celebrate it had a great one, and we'll be back next week with the final installment (most likely) of WAD a terrible night to have a Cacodemon: Let's Play DooM WADs.

Slainte. :toot:

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Happy New Year! :toot:

Let's Play DooM WADs: imposs.wad Complete

Got just a couple more videos coming out over the weekend and then I'm done so if you've got something to post, get it posted.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Let's Play DooM WADs: Finishing Arcadia: Demade

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Let's Play DooM WADs: The End

Just a quick little thank you video, but that's it guys. I'm all done. I'll leave the thread open for about a week, so if anyone has any last minute bits and bobs to get in, now's the time. Otherwise, hope the new year goes as well as it can for everyone, and we'll see you next time.

Thanks, all.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Much obliged, thank you for taking us on a trip down memory lane.

Edit: For the new year update, the video quality is very muddy/pixelated, and you're extremely quiet, with your keyboard overwhelming your speech at times.

Edit2: I'm surprised the map maker didn't just double down on revenants, or whatever those jerks are called with unavoidable hitscan fire attacks.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 3, 2016

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

Much obliged, thank you for taking us on a trip down memory lane.

Edit: For the new year update, the video quality is very muddy/pixelated, and you're extremely quiet, with your keyboard overwhelming your speech at times.

Edit2: I'm surprised the map maker didn't just double down on revenants, or whatever those jerks are called with unavoidable hitscan fire attacks.

You're more than welcome.

Unfortunately, OBS has been giving me some difficulty, lately. The muddy video is from trying a different encode, which seems to sacrifice overall quality for not turning into a slide show after 10 minutes of use. Some more testing needs to be done. Me being too quiet is just me being too quiet. I need to figure out how to noise gate my keyboard when I record audio, live, like that, so I can keep the mic closer.
This has all been one big learning experience, though, and I'm starting to figure some stuff out.

Also, Arch-viles are my least favorite enemy to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The thread didn't get a lot of love, but I really enjoyed the LP. Thanks!

• Locked thread