Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Pounded in the Butt by My Own Information Security Policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

i had to deal with that once with a travel agency in guatemala

they weren't impressed by my bank card which only had printed numbers and no indents

This happened to me on a cruise once. They refused to do anything with the card since they couldn't get an imprint. I had to use the card of someone I was traveling with and pay them back after. 😣

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

RZA Encryption posted:

This happened to me on a cruise once. They refused to do anything with the card since they couldn't get an imprint. I had to use the card of someone I was traveling with and pay them back after. 😣

does visa/mastercard/whomever not get extremely pissed off if someone says they accept x card, but then selectively refuse certain people because of which bank it's issued by? because that's what that sounds like

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Raluek posted:

does visa/mastercard/whomever not get extremely pissed off if someone says they accept x card, but then selectively refuse certain people because of which bank it's issued by? because that's what that sounds like

all the non embossed cards have "for electronic use only" or something printed on them somewhere and the processors have special rules for this

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

E4C85D38 posted:

all the non embossed cards have "for electronic use only" or something printed on them somewhere and the processors have special rules for this

clever girl

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I like Stanford's password policy, makes a lot of sense to me.

it's pretty good, but not quite right

it vastly overestimates the strength of mixing in symbols. 8 upper+lower+numbers+symbols are equal to a 9 mixed case letters, not 16

it also needs to distinguish between "random letters" and "random words"

this is more the chart I would make:

10+ mixed case letters, numbers, symbols (do not use words)
11+ mixed case letters (do not use words)
14+ lowercase letters (do not use words)
6+ entire words (do not start with a sentence. start with completely unrelated words. you can add more words to make a sentence, but don't count them. do not use a quote.)

talking about how to estimate quality when you mix words with random symbols would take too much explanation to be worth it

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

overdesigned posted:

My rectum is my passport. Verify me.

oh yeah verify me

don't stop

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

so what's this "positive ssl" gimmick

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's just their brand name for domain validated ssl

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Tayter Swift posted:

here is my assword
clearly an assphrase is superior

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pos ssl my neg http site

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
you can even use keep rear end on ps4 in a roundabout way: use the playstation app in your phone as a second screen and then when you have to input a login/password, paste them into the input field in the app

it's pretty neato

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.trustwave.com/Resources...&year=0&month=0

Joomla sqli game over vuln. estimated 2.8 million sites currently vulnerable.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

fins posted:

https://www.trustwave.com/Resources...&year=0&month=0

Joomla sqli game over vuln. estimated 2.8 million sites currently vulnerable.

my favourite sushi place :ohdear:

has an joomla website for online ordering

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
lol joomla

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Westie posted:

lol joomla

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://pax.grsecurity.net/docs/PaXTeam-H2HC15-RAP-RIP-ROP.pdf

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

if this guy doesn't keep your code safe, i don't know what will

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

can someone who knows poo poo about poo poo explain this

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vOv posted:

can someone who knows poo poo about poo poo explain this

return address protection means rest in peace to return-oriented programming

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
okay i loving hate reading slide decks instead of papers

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
they're taking the return address, xor'ing it with a "key", saving that "separately", and then asserting that the return address is the same before returning.

in their x86-64 implementation, the "key" is whatever value happens to be in a particular GPR at function entry. it's a callee-save register, so pragmatically if you can encourage compiled functions to not re-use it for other purposes, it's likely to be something properly diversified for your current stack, which means that if the xor'ed return address also gets dumped on the stack somewhere (not unlikely, but it might be down the call stack at least), it'll at least be a lot harder to rewrite it in tandem with your rop

also, you might have fewer rop gadgets to play with because more epilogues will have this verification crap that'll theoretically be hard to satisfy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
isn't this a pretty standard stack cookie?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
stack cookies are often poorly-diversified, and the fact that the encrypted return address is stored separately (i.e. probably only spilled by callees) is a more effective counter-measure than my brief summary gives it credit for

Subcomputer
Nov 2, 2004

Phone posted:

the relative security increase of 4 nouns isn't vs 10 alphanumeric characters, it's usually 8

is this just a rough average, or based on something a little more complex?

ive been considering seeing what i (or a much superior facsimile of me) can do as far as taking the passphrases that a user takes from say diceware and says "yes this is a good memorable one" and finding linguistic trends like word stress patterns or pleasing word placement etc that would nudge down realized entropy, ie towards a "predictive dictionary attack" but since i know jack about this end i could be following in many embarrassed jackasses footsteps

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

stack cookies are often poorly-diversified, and the fact that the encrypted return address is stored separately (i.e. probably only spilled by callees) is a more effective counter-measure than my brief summary gives it credit for

when constructing rop gadgets, does it really matter what the cookie is? i already thought those were effective enough

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

when constructing rop gadgets, does it really matter what the cookie is? i already thought those were effective enough

if you're attacking a function that sanity-checks something in the frame before returning, you have to convince the check to succeed before your rop can do anything

if your gadget is in a function that does some sort of sanity-check immediately before returning — i.e. your gadget has to start before that check — then, again, you have to make sure that check doesn't blow up your exploit

literally, a function that just puts 0 in ebx in the prologue, does its stuff, and then asserts it's still 0 immediately before returning is a lot more annoying to make a rop gadget from

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wait, I thought stack canaries and cookies were checked immediately before returning? Did I get that one wrong?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
right, but if the return address is at rbp and the stack canary is at rbp-16 and the buffer you're overflowing is at rbp-592, then all you have to do is make sure your "overwrite" of the canary actually leaves something acceptable there so that the canary check doesn't trip. that's why diversification is important for these things, because maybe there's a different exploit that can tell you a canary value, but if you're diversified across devices, processes, threads, operations, or (ideally) invocations, that might not be helpful. same basic effect as aslr, except that's at best per-process-diversified

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

every time i see aslr i read it as that weird asmr thing where girls whispering makes people's brains tingle

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

every time i see aslr i read it as that weird asmr thing where girls whispering makes people's brains tingle

full confession, i sometimes listen to those for relaxation

it never works and i switch over to xhamster or xvideos and listen to women spanking each other's genitals

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

right, but if the return address is at rbp

ocd compels me to correct myself that it will generally be at rbp+8, even though this obviously changes nothing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

full confession, i sometimes listen to those for relaxation

the ones where someone's taking a paint brush to a microphone work for me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jabor posted:

Is it stack cookies? It sounds like stack cookies.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tying the value to the actual return address (so that you also stop something that overwrites the address while skipping over the cookie) is pretty neato though.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
http://www.isi.edu/natural-language/mt/memorize-random-60.pdf

Have a paper that references xkcd. "How to Memorize a Random 60-Bit String"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
so now we have killed ROP, can someone now please remove %n and $-index adressing from the printf family of functions, features that have never been legitimately used since like 1985

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
whoops

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tayter Swift posted: