Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So question to you post-game folks. I just unlocked the LoC quest chain in Fort De Gaulle, as well as the Elite Four squad. I'm looking at that and thinking it might be useful. Right now, I have two characters that can reliably clear MT4 at 8* (I haven't replayed MT5, is it a better grinding map?) and I'm wondering if, in your experience, the E4 squad is worth it. It seems like it advances the growth of one character at the expense of not leveling seven at a time in the Boot Camp squad. Plus I still need to put my main team through the evility-learning squad for 230 battles to unlock the advanced dual wield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

projecthalaxy posted:

So question to you post-game folks. I just unlocked the LoC quest chain in Fort De Gaulle, as well as the Elite Four squad. I'm looking at that and thinking it might be useful. Right now, I have two characters that can reliably clear MT4 at 8* (I haven't replayed MT5, is it a better grinding map?) and I'm wondering if, in your experience, the E4 squad is worth it. It seems like it advances the growth of one character at the expense of not leveling seven at a time in the Boot Camp squad. Plus I still need to put my main team through the evility-learning squad for 230 battles to unlock the advanced dual wield.

I think having one character that can one-turn kill 3x3 MT 4 using two attacks (either Sage or Maid abilities to do both of those attacks), and slowly cranking up the star rating until you max out at 20* is the way to go, using the Boot Camp Squad.

MT5 is faster, but requires you to be able to 1-hit kill the enemies, because they are Boards (reduces non-lethal damage to 0). By the time you can clear MT-4 at 20 stars, you should be able to clear MT-5 at a lower star level.

I unlocked Carnage without messing with Elite Four Squad, and only reincarnating my Usalia once.

Edit: Having a squad of level 8000 is probably better than having one insanely strong guy - but it is definitely important to have a really really strong guy as well. I think I have actually reincarnated Killia once as well - with high defence on the bosses, I think he was the one doing the majority of the damage.

An interesting trick is to use the Evility that gives you 5 or 10% health back when you are 'attacked' from behind. It will trigger off of beneficial abilities as well - so I can buff Killia from the back, and he regens 10% of his health (my healers did not keep up, and can't heal anywhere near that due to his enormous hp pool). So that was pretty important to finishing off the CD unlock missions for me.

Devor fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 21, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The E4 squad is really useful once per character, when you are done with the rest of the poo poo; the stat growths do not carry over through reincarnation. Put them in the E4 immediately upon their final reincarnation and let them explode upward on top of their already ridiculous carryover bonuses.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It's good to know that the stats don't carry over. Speaking of stat optimization, is your stat increase per level based on your current base stats or original after creation/reincarnation? Basically I am thinking a good idea would be to reincarnate one of my heavies and then immediately give her a bunch of magic extracts before she gets even a single experience point, raising her lv1 base stats from the 20-50 range to the 11-15000 range, plus equipment. Wouldn't this result in a much higher level of stat gain?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

projecthalaxy posted:

It's good to know that the stats don't carry over. Speaking of stat optimization, is your stat increase per level based on your current base stats or original after creation/reincarnation? Basically I am thinking a good idea would be to reincarnate one of my heavies and then immediately give her a bunch of magic extracts before she gets even a single experience point, raising her lv1 base stats from the 20-50 range to the 11-15000 range, plus equipment. Wouldn't this result in a much higher level of stat gain?

Your base stats affect your stat growth, and jamming a bunch of extracts doesn't change your base stats. That would be cute, but nope.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Once you have Elite Four unlocked you should always level up in it, with growth bonuses (especially to HP) and the Raised Flag (or any weapon that has its unique Innocent). The difference in stats is staggering. If E4 is maxed every stat other than HP will reach its cap just from leveling, or nearly so (Raised Flag should ensure they all do). Yes, it takes a bit longer to level, but it will give the unit the stats to clear Martial 4/5 way faster.

Once you actually have LoC, doing Carnage Martial 5 with 900 Statisticians and 950% Exp (50% into Mana) at just 1 star will take a unit to 9999 instantly.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Something weird that happened to me: I got the Item God 2 with the R40 sword (Baal) in a Carnage Yoshitsuna at floor 100. My item was at level 300-something by the time I got to floor 200, but the Item God only had a Yoshitsuna, no matter how many times I Gencied out at 199 and tried again. Really strange. I had to rush through another Yoshi to get the Baal.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
How does the Dark Assembly work in this game? I just lost a vote where one Aye vote was higher level than the entire Nay vote combined (I have a level 1800+ in my Dark Assembly squad, she voted Aye, the Nay votes all together were <1100). As I understand it that shouldn't be possible.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Do stat-boosting extracts persist between reincarnations?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Prism posted:

Do stat-boosting extracts persist between reincarnations?

Yes

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus I still need to put my main team through the evility-learning squad for 230 battles to unlock the advanced dual wield.
I think you only need one person to learn the squad evilities the hard way, and then after that you can make scrolls using the Chara World as long as you set it to Super Overlord mode.

When I get some time I'll load up my old save and check.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

I think you only need one person to learn the squad evilities the hard way, and then after that you can make scrolls using the Chara World as long as you set it to Super Overlord mode.

When I get some time I'll load up my old save and check.

I mean I am going to run at least two of them through MT4 or 5 that many times anyway to be my main heavies, so it's ok. Does each member have to actually be deployed each time to count?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Never mind, I'm wrong anyway. Jesus, that blows. Makes you wish they'd left in the bug that let you just buy them from the Skill Shop.

Because of that bug I never actually used the squad before, but since I was testing things anyway I checked just now and yes, you do have to actually deploy them to increment the counter.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So I finally got a character up to grinding MT5 with 20 stars, Elite 4, and the Raised Flag. I'm putting up really impressive stat numbers and all, and more importantly, can get a subclass to 4.75 stars in one go and master it in about 5 minutes.

E: various postgame spoilers: I'm using Majorita as my ace, and she is amazing. I've got the Skull's unique Evility Magic Bundle as my secondary because she has SP for days and I just soloed the first 3 Carnage Dimension-unlock missions. The last one I only kinda soloed, as after I took out all 5 of the smaller overlords I turned on Broken Faith Magia and let them kill the Horseman for me. I love that she still has that as a player character.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 22, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If people are speculating that Disgaea 5 is a prequel to the other games, does that mean all the Asagis in the other games are clones that escaped?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Ok friends. Do I want to buy this game? I need something to tide me over until fallout 5

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

King of Solomon posted:

How does the Dark Assembly work in this game? I just lost a vote where one Aye vote was higher level than the entire Nay vote combined (I have a level 1800+ in my Dark Assembly squad, she voted Aye, the Nay votes all together were <1100). As I understand it that shouldn't be possible.

Never did get an answer for this question. Is there something I'm missing about the Assembly in this game?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I haven't read anything other than your post that says the assembly differs from previous games. I don't think anyone is really gonna get around to testing it though considering how easy it is to overpower the assembly now. Just make sure not to overpower with the difficulty set to 20 stars or something.

RC Cola posted:

Ok friends. Do I want to buy this game? I need something to tide me over until fallout 5
It's probably the best Disgaea so yes? The story is probably the only polarizing aspect, people seem to either like it and the characters or just really hate the poo poo out of it. I enjoy it a lot cause it has some of my favorite Japanese voice actors.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

King of Solomon posted:

Never did get an answer for this question. Is there something I'm missing about the Assembly in this game?

High level Senators can influence the votes of other senators, but I believe their vote only counts as one vote unless they changed something in this game.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Nobody's going to be able to give you a complete answer because nobody really knows, but voting power hasn't been straight up equal to character level since D1 (maybe D2?). In recent games there were high/mid/low-tier senators, where everyone at a given tier has an equal vote regardless of level. It's probable some votes are worth more than others, but it probably isn't as simple as adding their levels together.

I'm really loving this evility system. Combining "Beyond the Future" (pre-emptive counter attacking) with Enemy Lure on a bow user is a lot of fun. Throw in Hunting (recover HP/SP on any normal kill) and No-Miss Counter for even more fun. Clearing floors just by hitting End Turn a few times. Maybe not the fastest way ever, but fun to watch.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 24, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Rascyc posted:

The story is probably the only polarizing aspect, people seem to either like it and the characters or just really hate the poo poo out of it. I enjoy it a lot cause it has some of my favorite Japanese voice actors.

At the very least it's better than D3. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ali Aces posted:

Nobody's going to be able to give you a complete answer because nobody really knows, but voting power hasn't been straight up equal to character level since D1 (maybe D2?). In recent games there were high/mid/low-tier senators, where everyone at a given tier has an equal vote regardless of level. It's probable some votes are worth more than others, but it probably isn't as simple as adding their levels together.

That would explain a lot, actually. To be fair, my one high level unit wasn't my only party member there (I had a few others in the ~800 range), but if they all count the same as those random senators sitting around 200, it makes a little more sense.

Thanks guys.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

King of Solomon posted:

That would explain a lot, actually. To be fair, my one high level unit wasn't my only party member there (I had a few others in the ~800 range), but if they all count the same as those random senators sitting around 200, it makes a little more sense.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, you really need to max out the Dark Assembly squad if you want to guarantee wins. But on the plus side, I have not yet lost a "1% Chance" Bill once I had filled up my Dark Assembly squad with level 400 dudes, and had maxed the squad so they always vote yes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Devor posted:

Yeah, you really need to max out the Dark Assembly squad if you want to guarantee wins. But on the plus side, I have not yet lost a "1% Chance" Bill once I had filled up my Dark Assembly squad with level 400 dudes, and had maxed the squad so they always vote yes.

I had a maxed out Dark Assembly squad full of high level dudes, and my highest level participated in the vote. That's why I was so confused!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Universe!!!!!!!!!!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, I have been trying to find a good gif of the admiral prinny in the next episode previews for a new avatar, and just have had no luck at all.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

If you bump into the unit clone room in the item world, can you capture the copied generics?

I'm looking for a quick way to get more units with all the classes mastered. I have really bad luck getting item world floors with geo panels when I enter so it takes a bit longer to master a bunch of classes for me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm very dissatisfied with the version of Asagi Go Fight in this game. You can clearly hear the vocalist start singing the "s" sound from the beginning of the second verse right before it loops.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

King of Solomon posted:

I had a maxed out Dark Assembly squad full of high level dudes, and my highest level participated in the vote. That's why I was so confused!

Did you have any of your Dark Assembly squad sent out on Research? They can't participate if they're out on research, and it's not guaranteed for everyone to show up.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Deki posted:

Man, I have been trying to find a good gif of the admiral prinny in the next episode previews for a new avatar, and just have had no luck at all.

Will this work?

e: I flipped it so it works better with the forums, but it stopped being a gif. My abilities are limited, but maybe someone else can mirror the gif.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 25, 2015

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Here ya go:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Devor posted:

Did you have any of your Dark Assembly squad sent out on Research? They can't participate if they're out on research, and it's not guaranteed for everyone to show up.

None, as far as I recall.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Geektox posted:

Here ya go:

Thanks a lot!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tyty posted:

If you bump into the unit clone room in the item world, can you capture the copied generics?

I'm looking for a quick way to get more units with all the classes mastered. I have really bad luck getting item world floors with geo panels when I enter so it takes a bit longer to master a bunch of classes for me.
Bad news is they're smarter than that after 3 and 4 and no you cannot capture, steal from, or otherwise acquire anything from cloned units or user invaders (always annoying when some rear end in a top hat's team shows up with a billion high-level Trapezohedrons that you can't have).

Good news is there is a much faster way than Geo Blast to level generics and unique monsters: Unlock Dual Magichange and do the LoC Asagi map with a sufficiently powerful Sage and 4 monsters in her main/sub weapon slots. Magichanged monsters gain experience and class mastery and will master any class in a single run of a 15-20 star version of that map. That lets you master 4 characters' classes at once and also earn a bunch of shards and extracts you'll probably need to make those generics/monsters properly usable. It's not as good for stat farming as Metallia capturing in the same circumstances, but mass-capturing doesn't give anyone experience and the method relies on the fact that the enemies are getting killed.

Unfortunately that doesn't help humanoid uniques, who are stuck with Geo Blast. To make it faster, arrange a priority system of dudes who are Geo Blasting (around 4 which is as many as fit in the Skill Squad anyway). Maps with Geo Symbols often have multiple ones, so try to destroy as many of them as possible before you Gency out with separate characters. That speeds it up not quite 2-4x but at least a bit faster.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So, I'm really hating the item points system in this game. It's insane that it takes multiple full inventories of garbage to pass bills on higher-tier equipment (aka the only equipment you'd ever bother passing bills on). Does anyone know if there's a way to make this easier? Evilities/bills/whatever that boost the points you get, reduce or eliminate bill costs, etc? I haven't found anything like that so far.

vv Thanks, I'm already plundering and gathering the items isn't really the problem. It's just tedious having to constantly collect and clear out piles of trash for every couple of bills.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 25, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If you can spare the slots keep a plunder evility on your main killer. You'll be rolling in hundreds of incidental tier 37+ items incidentally.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Plunder and Bonus Gauge will produce reams of high-rank Carnage gear which trades decently. Another good idea is Research on Carnage Netherworlds. If you fight the Overlord of said world you're guaranteed a Legendary item, and higher-rarity items trade for shitloads more. You may also pick up tons of Elixirs in high-tier Item Worlds. Look for Rare/Legendary ones and trade them in for a decent amount, rather than use them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So dual stat innocents are made in the Innocent Farm, right? Is there a trick to it because i've had a Tutor and a Master alone in the Farm for like twice as long as i usually have to wait for a Statistician and yet no Nerd. Do I have to have a Mediator in there too or something? Is it just chance?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

So dual stat innocents are made in the Innocent Farm, right? Is there a trick to it because i've had a Tutor and a Master alone in the Farm for like twice as long as i usually have to wait for a Statistician and yet no Nerd. Do I have to have a Mediator in there too or something? Is it just chance?

Just chance afaik, however it seems that any given innocent will only produce offspring once, so if either that tutor or master had a child already they won't have another one. There's no visual indicator that this has happened and the only way to reset it is go subdue another one and re-combine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ali Aces posted:

Just chance afaik, however it seems that any given innocent will only produce offspring once, so if either that tutor or master had a child already they won't have another one. There's no visual indicator that this has happened and the only way to reset it is go subdue another one and re-combine.

Good to know. I am almost sure neither have had a kid before, but I'll switch them out, reset the RNG if nothing else.

• Locked thread