Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
With the broadcast spectrum, the tendency has been to start with having as little of it marked out for a given use as possible, and slowly expand it over time. Occasionally, one use starts getting restricted down and the newly unused space gets eventually sold off for another use.

For instance, originally only modern channels 2-13 were available for TV. Then 13 through 90 something were made available in the uhf. That slowly got cut back over time to 80 something and then 69. Then ever since digital happened there's been talk of slicing even more off the top, down to 50 something or 40 something, and probably selling it off for mobile data spectrum. There's never been a real need for all that space even in huge markets, and digital needs even less physical channels to show the same number of TV channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I had Sex Ed in a smallish suburb in Indiana with a decided conservative bent but also a dose of realism. Every class opened and closed with a rote sentence that the only way to 100% avoid pregnancy and STDs was abstinence. Then they'd spend the great majority of the class talking about condoms, birth control, puberty process, consent, child birth video, "find the lumps" testicle training devices, and video of a guy giving himself a testicular exam in the shower. Girls didn't see that one, they watched a woman give a self breast exam and such.

And of course images of disgustingly infected genitalia and mouths and eyeballs.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Hillary's first 100 days gonna be fun :munch:

They'll have a more Democratic congress so the mathematics will be easier. On the other hand, Paul Ryan will want to avoid failing his first big test.

Really the best thing that could happen for his career is for the Democrats to take over the House, but that's unlikely. I have no idea why he took the job, does someone have something on him?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

duz posted:

I hope everyone insists on pronouncing it in the french manor just to piss off the HFC.

Le Foyer de la Liberté :france:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you went to school in a moderately affluent area you probably got a real education on things like evolution and sex ed, despite how red the area may have been. Can't show off a bunch of college acceptance letters to the PTA if your kids are yelling about fossils being lies and having 20% pregnancy rates. This is why I got a real sex ed class and science education despite being in the one of the reddest suburbs of Indiana, and why lovely school districts tend to export bible thumpers

I'm sure abstinence got lip service but nobody really believed that education or sinful parents were why kids were loving.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Under new management we are not going to do the people's business this way..." ~ Paul Ryan, on the deal.

Translation: "I might vote for it, but trust me when I say that I'll make sure that we never get a drat thing done on my watch."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zeroisanumber posted:

Translation: "I might vote for it, but trust me when I say that I'll make sure that we never get a drat thing done on my watch."

And a lot of conservatives are pointing out this morning that the current operating budget deal, a.k.a. the "Ryan-Murray" deal was negotiated under even more secrecy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

China upset that the US is moving warships near their artificial islands. News reports are reporting it as breathlessly as possible, but from listening to Wang Yi's statement, it sounds like their attitude is "Hey watch it" instead of "GOD drat AMERICA!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/world/asia/south-china-sea-uss-lassen-spratly-islands.html

I mean, that was the goal. China is claiming those as territorial waters and trying to essentially create facts on the ground in their territorial disputes with other nearby nations, the US doesn't recognize their claims on the local sea lanes, so we're being unsubtle about not recognizing it. If they weren't upset about it we didn't do it right.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Peel posted:

They'll have a more Democratic congress so the mathematics will be easier. On the other hand, Paul Ryan will want to avoid failing his first big test.

Really the best thing that could happen for his career is for the Democrats to take over the House, but that's unlikely. I have no idea why he took the job, does someone have something on him?

Ryan's not likely to be speaker after the election. I think he only did it this time because no one else wanted it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Obama and Boehner still hang out after Boehner retires. Obama should keep inviting him to things to mess with him and make him feel guilty.

Boehner will be like "He really liked me?" and cry probably.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

greatn posted:

I hope Obama and Boehner still hang out after Boehner retires. Obama should keep inviting him to things to mess with him and make him feel guilty.

Boehner will be like "He really liked me?" and cry probably.

People always say they will hang out with their work "friends" after they retire or change jobs, but they never do.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anything would be better than the current status quo, regarding the budget deal. To take an example, the shutdown in 2013 entirely engineered by Ted Cruz cost the US govt more than a billion dollars, cost the economy billions of dollars, and severly affected GDP for that quarter. Each one of our debt showdowns raises our interest rates, cutting the benefits created by America's cat seat in the world economy, not too mention other negative effects too numerous to list. And this crazy rear end poo poo house craporama shoves anything of governmental import to the wayside.

Anything's gotta be better than that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

I mean, that was the goal. China is claiming those as territorial waters and trying to essentially create facts on the ground in their territorial disputes with other nearby nations, the US doesn't recognize their claims on the local sea lanes, so we're being unsubtle about not recognizing it. If they weren't upset about it we didn't do it right.

A single destroyer cruising through is actually a fairly mild rebuke as far as we're concerned. If Obama wanted to be unsubtle about it, he'd park a carrier and have them conduct exercises.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah this is all a stage-managed show. They both know this needs to get passed, Boehner got a two-year reprieve, and now Ryan can vaguely run against it so he's not tarred by it while having two years to consolidate power without having to convince the freedom caucus to face reality on hard votes. Like Joementum said, Ryan did this exact thing before.

The problem with this approach is the same one Boehner faced: it's avoiding ever forcing a reckoning with the HFC so that they will reinforce their dumb ideas about How It Should Be for 2017, when they're (probably) going to be in the middle of flipping the gently caress out over Hillary being elected. I suspect that the Republicans will lose a handful of seats so Ryan will have even less room to maneuver then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Under new management we are not going to do the people's business this way..." ~ Paul Ryan, on the deal.

Here's a massive favor for you and if you want to throw me under the bus over it, well that will also be a massive favor for you from me.

Also everytime I see HFC it takes me a second to not process it as Hillary loving Clinton.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Do we know if the March 2017 date being used for the debt ceiling extension includes the Treasury's extraordinary measures or whatever that they keep having to use?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

saltylopez posted:

Do we know if the March 2017 date being used for the debt ceiling extension includes the Treasury's extraordinary measures or whatever that they keep having to use?

It wouldn't because the debt ceiling is kind of a moving target.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Here's a massive favor for you and if you want to throw me under the bus over it, well that will also be a massive favor for you from me.

Also everytime I see HFC it takes me a second to not process it as Hillary loving Clinton.

My brain always sees HFCS and thinks High Fructose Corn Syrup.

:negative:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nintendo Kid posted:

With the broadcast spectrum, the tendency has been to start with having as little of it marked out for a given use as possible, and slowly expand it over time. Occasionally, one use starts getting restricted down and the newly unused space gets eventually sold off for another use.

For instance, originally only modern channels 2-13 were available for TV. Then 13 through 90 something were made available in the uhf. That slowly got cut back over time to 80 something and then 69. Then ever since digital happened there's been talk of slicing even more off the top, down to 50 something or 40 something, and probably selling it off for mobile data spectrum. There's never been a real need for all that space even in huge markets, and digital needs even less physical channels to show the same number of TV channels.

Being in a major market I have noticed that over the last couple of years the channels have been greatly expanding their subcarrier offerings and making them more appealing in general. I don't think it would be such a bad idea to give out some more OTA TV spectrum provided it was put to good use. This may not be part of the standard but could they give existing broadcasters more bandwidth to upgrade their subcarriers to HD?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Elephant Ambush posted:

My brain always sees HFCS and thinks High Fructose Corn Syrup.

:negative:

hello corn syrup friend

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

saltylopez posted:

Pretty sure that Treasury isn't allowed to use extraordinary measures anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ryan's not likely to be speaker after the election. I think he only did it this time because no one else wanted it.

Ryan's likely to be speaker for probably the next 10+ years actually.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Rutgers' posting crew strikes again with a hot, bad take.

Do they put something extra in the water up there?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mcmagic posted:

So instead of trying to follow his executive branch dreams he'll become Hillary's Boehner and his career will henceforth become a never-ending exercise in extreme frustration until he ignominiously quits?

I'll take it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Pretty sure that Treasury isn't allowed to use extraordinary measures anymore.

It's actually that Treasury is perpetually using extraordinary measures nowadays.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

His GOP House colleagues gave John Boehner a golf cart with the license plate "MR SPKR" as a gift today.

That's not how you spell SPQR. :(

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hillary currently playing the sexism card in reference to Bernie saying she was "shouting" about gun violence in the last debate.

Goddamnit Hillary campaign team, you loving idiots.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Just catching up...

KiteAuraan posted:

Have we always denied felons from getting SS benefits? Or is that something new put in there to gently caress them over further?

I don't know if we ever stopped the Bush-era program that sought to do so, but if we did, it's clear that cutting off old people with mental health issues that led to them entering a rental car without permission or disrupting rail traffic because of a suicide attempt is too good to pass up.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think it's referring to the spectrum left open by broadcast tv going to digital. It's part of a move for more broadband access.

As has been alluded to, the whitespace auction plan has been rolling for some time, so I'm not sure where the sudden influx of money comes from. As best I can tell though, it's mostly about foreclosing Google's semi-defunct Free the Airwaves project to have some of it turn into unlicensed spectrum, in exchange for some sweet telecom dollars (both in FCC coffers and the war chests of Republican Congressmen).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boon posted:

Hillary currently playing the sexism card in reference to Bernie saying she was "shouting" about gun violence in the last debate.

I don't think this is as bad as you make it sound:

quote:

“I haven’t been shouting, but sometimes when a woman speaks out, some people think it’s shouting,” she said at the Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So instead of trying to follow his executive branch dreams he'll become Hillary's Boehner and his career will henceforth become a never-ending exercise in extreme frustration until he ignominiously quits?

I'll take it.

He has no jumping off point from Speaker to President and the GOP isn't losing the house any time soon. He's going to be the most powerful republican in the country for as long as he wants to be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean she definitely was shouting and so was Martin O'Malley and he said the same thing to O'Malley. It did come off badly though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

greatn posted:

I mean she definitely was shouting and so was Martin O'Malley and he said the same thing to O'Malley. It did come off badly though.

The only person shouting at the Democratic debate was Sanders really. Like dude was legit shouting, not that he shouldn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Monmouth polling has Hillary beating Bernie 65 to 24 in the Iowa caucus. Other polls have shown Bernie as close as 3 points in the state, but that was before Biden/Benghazi hearing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Boon posted:

This will work better than you think...

greatn posted:

:allears:

--

also...

Hillary Clinton 65%
Bernie Sanders 24%
Martin O’Malley 5%
Larry Lessig 1%
(VOL) Other 0%
(VOL) “Uncommitted” 1%
(VOL) No one 0%
(VOL) Undecided 4%

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32...bd1beab9bfb.pdf

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Trabisnikof posted:

The only person shouting at the Democratic debate was Sanders really. Like dude was legit shouting, not that he shouldn't.

I get that he's passionate, but it's rather bad form to take a woman to task for supposedly shouting, when yelling is practically your trademark. That being said, only an ideologue would accuse Bernie Sanders of misogyny.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 27, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wall Street Journal posted an entire article about Charles Kotch bitching and wining about the election. (apologies for paywall, saw it in the print paper and thought it was too good to mention without having a link ready).

Despite what he says it's pretty obvious that he's pissed about Trump crushing all of the establishment goons that he'd want to support.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Boon posted:

Jesus christ that's stupid. The next thing you know we'll have a black candidate playing the race card in response to "racist" characterizations. What a loving farce.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well then I've got good news for Koch, Carson just took the lead in a new national poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kaal posted:

Trabisnikof posted:

I get that he's passionate, but it's rather bad form to take a woman to task for supposedly shouting, when yelling is practically your trademark. That being said, only an ideologue would accuse Bernie Sanders of misogyny.

So hypocrisy is what we are settling on here?

• Locked thread