Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You know what is a better subject than this? Twitter drama!
Yep, we sank that low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No, this is bad, too.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, now I know why the SU community manager or PR guy or whatever had a protected twitter account.

e: ^ oh sweet jesus who let paul dobson watch su :stonk:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

johntfs posted:

We haven't actually seen Gem excrement (and don't want to) but that's my take as well. Gems can mimic human bodily processes for enjoyment/some other purpose (having a Steven) if they choose to but derive no real benefit from this aside from the enjoyment/purpose.

It puts an interesting spin on Gem relationships, especially romantic one. Human live in a permanent biochemical stew of hormones, neurotransmitters and genetic predispositions. If a person finds another person to be desirable, it's generally on that basis. For humans the path to love can be said to be lust => like => love. There's an initial physical attraction followed by social compatibility that deepens to full commitment.

Gems don't have that biochemical stew within them unless they want it. For Gems the relational path seems to be like => love => lust. A gem meets another gem/human and ends up liking that being. If they like them enough, they may choose to commit to them in love. If that happens a Gem may shift her light form in order to feel and express that love in physical terms. We call Gems "gay" or "lesbian" but the truth seems to me to be more complex. Ruby and Sapphire are lesbians in the sense that they both present as females. Sapphire is more properly "Rubysexual" and Ruby is "Sapphiresexual" because there's no indication that either of them feel any desire for anyone other than each other.
:yikes:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS COOL FAN ART HAS THIS BEEN POSTED YET I DON'T CARE LET'S TALK ABOUT IT

Source

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know what is a better subject than this? Twitter drama!
Yep, we sank that low.

What the salty gently caress is all this poo poo?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This is the most true and authentic fanart I have seen posted ITT.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Paladinus posted:

OP, lock the thread.

Deadpool said I couldn't anymore. Trust me, if it wasn't for that, this woulda been locked in a heartbeat.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

What the salty gently caress is all this poo poo?

some kid on tumblr drew a picture of rose as skinny, a maddened mob harassed them over it and they attempted suicide/self harm. a perfect storm of internet bullshit.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yeah this is real good though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And for some reason, they decided to try to bring the creators into it. I thought we learned from Justin Roiland a few months ago not to bring content creators into fandom drama!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

http://drawendo.tumblr.com/

Waffleman_ posted:

And for some reason, they decided to try to bring the creators into it. I thought we learned from Justin Roiland a few months ago not to bring content creators into fandom drama!

the internet remembers, but it doesn't learn.

edit: appropriate reaction image:

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 28, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they just heard about it and it rightfully pissed them off. The SU crew has always been about "draw whatever fanart you want" and when a group of assholes bullies someone into suicide (or near suicide I don't know which it was) because someone dared to draw Rose as skinny, that's insane and it makes sense the SU people would be like "guys that's not cool come on".

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

thatbastardken posted:

edit: appropriate reaction image:

don't gently caress with his giant woman

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

thatbastardken posted:

some kid on tumblr drew a picture of rose as skinny, a maddened mob harassed them over it and they attempted suicide/self harm. a perfect storm of internet bullshit.

Macaluso posted:

I think they just heard about it and it rightfully pissed them off. The SU crew has always been about "draw whatever fanart you want" and when a group of assholes bullies someone into suicide (or near suicide I don't know which it was) because someone dared to draw Rose as skinny, that's insane and it makes sense the SU people would be like "guys that's not cool come on".

Good Lord almighty I did not know it got that bad.
...ok, look. If you squint and turn your head just right, you can sort of see a point there: fat, non-joke characters are not common, so when they one takes point and center in a popular piece of media it's great. If you're fat and the fact that Rose is depicted in a positive light is a big deal for you, I can even understand disapproving of art depicting her as skinny.

But what in the name of all that is holy made these people think that it was okay to torment a person like this over loving creative differences?

Jesus give me strenght

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you're so starved for content that you discuss fandom drama, maybe you should take a break. Seriously.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

x

So that's what those things around the forehead gem are. Tiny shades. :stare:

x

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Sooooo...... how long do you guys reckon it'll be until we see some of the other Pearls? Barring any homeworld flashback scenes, it'll probs be some time, but they might do a thing where earthPearl is captured/reassimilated, but it's a ploy to liberate the others and forment rebellion?

look I did a theory

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If you're so starved for content that you discuss fandom drama, maybe you should take a break. Seriously.

Why don't you throw out a topic you wish to discuss instead of bitching every time and fan thing gets mentioned

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Well, morbid curiosity took over so I looked up the harassed girl's art. Unless something's been deleted, the outrage is over ONE picture, with an awkward skewed perspective (most of her body is behind Steven and Greg), from 2013, just after Bubble Buddies aired. When we hadn't even seen Rose beyond a glimpse of the portrait in the background. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Literally every single one thereafter has Rose the same way she's on the show and one of the first couple is even titled something along the lines of fat and beautiful.

Holy poo poo am I ever glad I narrowly missed growing up in this tumblr era. That is some distilled, concentrated, high school mean girl bullshit.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 28, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Sooooo...... how long do you guys reckon it'll be until we see some of the other Pearls? Barring any homeworld flashback scenes, it'll probs be some time, but they might do a thing where earthPearl is captured/reassimilated, but it's a ploy to liberate the others and forment rebellion?

look I did a theory

I think that if Yellow Diamond shows up on Earth, she'll bring at least one Pearl retainer.

Otherwise, it's whenever Steven manages to end up on Homeworld by total accident.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

WarpedNaba posted:

Sorry, I'm imagining that YD is a genderflipped Kane and I can't hear you

KANE LIVES!

Actually, a tiberium-like substance that embeds into organisms and makes them into gem-mutants would be pretty rad. It would need a soundtrack by Frank Klepacki though.

There, you guys now have a topic. Talk about Command & Conquer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Skeleton King posted:

There, you guys now have a topic. Talk about Command & Conquer.

Amethyst would be the person that snaked sandbags to your base, penned in your harvesters, and plopped obelisks around willy-nilly.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Why don't you throw out a topic you wish to discuss instead of bitching every time and fan thing gets mentioned

Eh in this case I'd agree with him. Fan drama is a special sort of meaningless, irritating bullshit.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

The Skeleton King posted:

Actually, a tiberium-like substance that embeds into organisms and makes them into gem-mutants would be pretty rad. It would need a soundtrack by Frank Klepacki though.

Halloween, 2015. The Crystal Gems let Steven go rent a horror movie to watch.

He comes back with "The Andromeda Strain"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

rockopete posted:

Eh in this case I'd agree with him. Fan drama is a special sort of meaningless, irritating bullshit.

He might be right, but he's still typing out the equivalent of a loud wet fart, and that's been the case for like 99% of his posts in this thread, and it's getting really old and tired, it's all just him being a whiny bitch about everything

Basically he's the living manifestation of this picture;

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 28, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
To be fair, this fan drama was notable in the severe overreaction and consequences to a really innocuous thing.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Before we completely ditch this tangent, I imagine Pearl would probably be enticed to try the psychoactive properties for science, though disgusted by the pollutants and unpleasantness of smoking, and general aversion to edibles. Through determination and scientific know-how, after several days she invents the 'weed patch' to give a safe and pollutant free high for the gem on the go.

Only to find that it makes her anxious and unplesantly unfocused.
Most believable weedtheory yet

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How is your loving endless insipid meta-whinging any better than fandom gossip. Maybe you should contribute literally anything of interest to this thread, at all, ever.
I wouldn't ordinarily direct anything at you, but you yourself brought these events up a few pages ago, so it's pretty rich of you to try to harangue other people for discussing the same topic.

Anyway. The best thing about that drama nonsense was that it showed how classy and thoughtful folks like Ian JQ and Matt Burnett are. They responded very well and very thoughtfully to what amounted to angry goalpost shuffling. And the artist in question is alive and being taken care of, and has gotten a lot of support, so there's a silver lining.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 28, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

look I did a theory

They already used pearls to set up and establish the multiple gems thing. now they got that It'll be someone else that actually shows up because it's a way bigger gut punch any of the ways that could happen. (amethyst seeing how failed she is, garnet having to beat up sapphire or ruby, ROSE)

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Macaluso posted:

Lampylamp's whole gimmick is bitching about every topic no matter what. It's not going to end by giving him attention, though it probably won't end by not giving him attention either.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

look I did a theory

I hold a similar theory regarding Amethyst and her presumable siblings. Its an absolute gold mine for character drama and worldbuilding, and the creators would be absolutely remiss not to take advantage of it. At the very least you've got the typical issue of social conformity that has been noted more than a few times on the show, but with something like the Pearls, there's also the possibility of exploring where - as has happened in real life - where someone accepts the hosed up norms of a society whilst still suffering from them, because its been drilled into their heads so long.

That the Crystal Gems are such an explicit minority in their views of morality among their kind puts them in an interesting position, as heroes go.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

mfcrocker posted:

don't gently caress with his giant woman

You know, we haven't really seen Greg angry on the show yet, cause he's a good dad, a decent person, and pretty chill. Sure, he's gotten upset (Amethyst in Maximum Capacity) but not really angry with rage. I wonder just what it would take for him to throw a punch.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

@kcgreenn have you done or plan on some Steven Universe comix?

@mariuslecter no not really

:negative:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

kefkafloyd posted:

You know, we haven't really seen Greg angry on the show yet, cause he's a good dad, a decent person, and pretty chill. Sure, he's gotten upset (Amethyst in Maximum Capacity) but not really angry with rage. I wonder just what it would take for him to throw a punch.

Another adult talking poo poo about Rose like Lars did to Steven?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

To be fair, this fan drama was notable in the severe overreaction and consequences to a really innocuous thing.

It was also drama severe enough to actually get the creators involved in telling the Tumblr fans to cut their poo poo out and very nearly resulted in a real life death.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Are people committing suicide to be reincarnated as a gem yet?

That's when you know you have a real hit on your hands.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

kefkafloyd posted:

He was angry enough at Marty to kick him the gently caress out of his van, that's as close as we've got.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
We've also seen him hit a water golem with his van when his child's life was threatened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

Greg is a gentle guy. I don't think he'd try to hit someone unless it was somehow physically necessary.

• Locked thread