Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just did a round of Fox n' Hound on that terrible ice level and I was able to collect 15 upgrade tokens :psyduck:

e: wait in race events if you get wrecked you lose an entire lap? hahaha gently caress that

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Doc Morbid posted:

Do you want to hear a couple of video game journalists poo poo on Carmageddon for 26 minutes while playing it in the most boring way possible? No? Too bad, because that's exactly what the Giant Bomb quicklook from a few days ago is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhzs4DsAklg

I watched this shortly after it came out, and there were already a bunch of commenters going "aw gently caress they ruined Carmageddon, this looks boring!" I generally like Giant Bomb, but they didn't even try with this QL. Much like the earlier Earth Defense Force 2025 QL, really. Also, Jeff says the original Carmageddon games are bad, which is possibly the wrongest thing I've ever heard him say. I understand not liking them, but to straight-up call them bad games is just dumb.

:(

I really thought Dan would have liked it

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The nighttime city level runs at a goddamn third of the framerate as the rest of them and that constant screaming sound from the monorail is atrocious. And instead of making later events more exciting or more interesting they're just the same goddamn things as early events but way loving longer.

Checkpoint stampede to twelve points on an ice level where you can fall off anywhere and are constantly losing points to cop cars? Eight lap races where you can get double-killed and lose two laps? lovely arenas that take forever to get around and you have no goddamn weapons to use? Check, check, and check.

And good lord is there no flow to any of the levels. They're big to a fault and absolutely filled with poo poo to get stuck on, water hazards, little corners to get trapped in, and cliffs you have to drive up and around constantly.

I mean gently caress I feel like there's a good game buried here somewhere but they stuck to remaking an old, weird, and kinda bad game instead of ever stopping to say "is this any fun whatsoever?" I love car games where you get to blow up other cars but after giving it a fair chance this game is just the pits.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing "kinda bad" about the original was that loving mine level, everything else was golden. Carmageddon 2 had the stupid missions but was otherwise good.

Reincarnation has so many issues, not the least of which is the performance. I kind of think Stainless got in way over their heads and tried too hard to make a modern game with the latest DX effects and they implemented a really poorly-optimized physics engine. I think they should've dialed the graphics way back and hired on a skeleton crew of people who specialized in physics, like whoever worked on Next Car Game or whatever. We didn't need modern graphics, we needed a fun game that could look just a little out of date as long as there was a sense of speed, awesome collisions and cringeworthy pedestrian dismemberings.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Reincarnation is like Carmageddon's Duke Nukem Forever. I mean at least it didn't take nearly as long to make and it's not completely broken, just maybe half-broken.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

The only thing "kinda bad" about the original was that loving mine level, everything else was golden. Carmageddon 2 had the stupid missions but was otherwise good.
The desert level was kinda crappy, too.

quote:

Reincarnation has so many issues, not the least of which is the performance. I kind of think Stainless got in way over their heads and tried too hard to make a modern game with the latest DX effects and they implemented a really poorly-optimized physics engine. I think they should've dialed the graphics way back and hired on a skeleton crew of people who specialized in physics, like whoever worked on Next Car Game or whatever. We didn't need modern graphics, we needed a fun game that could look just a little out of date as long as there was a sense of speed, awesome collisions and cringeworthy pedestrian dismemberings.
The amount of stuff the Next Car Game guys had flying around in Flatout:UC on the Xbox 360 eight years ago was ridiculous, so I dunno why the physics in this game seem to be such a bottleneck. Something about the handling seems off too, I still have more fun playing the original on my iPad than Reincarnation on PC.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

second-hand smegma posted:

I used to like GB, but they always seem like they're out of gas nowadays. Maybe it's just due to that big dude on their staff dying, but they suck all the fun out of everything. I only watch them for E3 conferences anymore.

What would happen if you gave this game to The Best Friends?

They also recently split up into two teams, so some of the duos with the best chemistry (like Jeff-Vinny) aren't around anymore. Jeff is now cynical as balls, Brad is still bad at videogames, and Dan is hilariously ignorant of some stuff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I like Jeff enough that even if I disagree with his opinion (and I do at least half of the time) I don't hold it against him. The only problem is that when he doesn't like something he really lets you know it so it gets to a point where he's just joylessly reiterating how bored he is. That Reincarnation video was hard to sit through, because Jeff already didn't like the series and seemed to actually be bringing Dan down while he was playing. I mean the game's not that great but they were pretty much set to rip into it, Jeff especially.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

The nighttime city level runs at a goddamn third of the framerate as the rest of them and that constant screaming sound from the monorail is atrocious. And instead of making later events more exciting or more interesting they're just the same goddamn things as early events but way loving longer.

Checkpoint stampede to twelve points on an ice level where you can fall off anywhere and are constantly losing points to cop cars? Eight lap races where you can get double-killed and lose two laps? lovely arenas that take forever to get around and you have no goddamn weapons to use? Check, check, and check.

And good lord is there no flow to any of the levels. They're big to a fault and absolutely filled with poo poo to get stuck on, water hazards, little corners to get trapped in, and cliffs you have to drive up and around constantly.

I mean gently caress I feel like there's a good game buried here somewhere but they stuck to remaking an old, weird, and kinda bad game instead of ever stopping to say "is this any fun whatsoever?" I love car games where you get to blow up other cars but after giving it a fair chance this game is just the pits.

This probably articulates what's been in my head while playing Reincarnation. I really want to like it, but it hasn't sucked me in.

I'm kinda disappointed by the maps altogether. It feels like there's a serious lack of them overall to the point of what I played of the campaign felt repetitive because I was just slogging on in hopes of seeing a new map or game type. One, maybe two of them feels on the level of Carma2 where it's large and sprawling with all sorts of spots to explore, and checkpoint variation actually feels like it makes the map different, the rest of them are kinda just mid-sized and sorta disappointing. The arenas are neat for what they are but not really my jam.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think the first area with the rolling hills and simple city streets is the best area gameplay wise. From there on out the arenas get either way too complicated, too big, or both requiring an insane amount of traversal downtime to get anywhere.

Also there really needs to be an alternative "match over" condition in this game. Rounds of Fox n' Hound can go on forever, especially on the rooftop level where half of the drat map is an insta-kill crusher and dying adds 30 seconds back onto your time. The AI drivers never even make an attempt to get away from it or even run around as the fox so it's just a constant pile of 4+ cars rubbing against each other as nothing gets done.

It also blows that knocking cars off of rooftops does nothing for doing damage. It's already hard enough to destroy other vehicles if you get unlucky and get nothing but ped related weapons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

It's already hard enough to destroy other vehicles if you get unlucky and get nothing but ped related weapons.

Or opponent ejacutulator which doesn't seem to do anything of actual use. It'd be cool if ejecting and killing other drivers disabled them for a short time or something or gave you a crapload of credits.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah as far as I can tell it does absolutely no damage. Same with the freeze ray only working as you're actively hitting someone with it. That should be a weapon you use to combo other attacks together but as of now you can freeze them and...ram them for a little bit of damage I guess?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The trick to freeze ray is to barrel across the map in the general direction of people, as fast as possible, and activate it when near. They'll freeze in front of you and you smash into them really fast and hard. I usually deactivate it just before the actual hit or its like hitting a wall

Try doing it without a freeze ray and you'll usually miss.

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 1, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yodzilla posted:

It's already hard enough to destroy other vehicles if you get unlucky and get nothing but ped related weapons.
Red barrels (fully red, not the ones with the metal bits on them) always have an opponent-related weapon, even if it sometimes is the ejaculator or freeze ray or something useless like that.

I still think this is a worthy followup to the old Carmageddons, but it really could use some rebalancing. It's way too hard to kill anything by driving into it or stay alive unless you're in one of the big vehicles (and even that might not be enough when the cops are around. gently caress those guys), so the best way to win is always to get an opponent repulsificator and go to town. Okay, sure, not being able to take on an APC in a sports car is realistic and all, but gently caress that. In Carmageddon 2, you can wreck a goddamn dump truck by driving a properly upgraded Eagle into it, and that owns balls. Also, why on earth do the engine upgrades no longer make your car go 500 mph?

I'm mostly happy with what we got, but this game honestly could've been much better.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Full disclosure, I haven't bought the latest game, but I remember playing quite a few hours of Carmageddon 2 with my friends back in the 90's. I think one of the best, most unique things about the Carmageddon series by far is that it couldn't care less about the players who play only for points or who want to win, and instead it focuses on rewarding players who just want to gently caress around.

In other words, the actual racing has always sucked. If you play the game for points, you're going to hate it because you'll just be going around boring rear end tracks at slow speeds against dumb AI. The only real way to play Carmageddon is to forget you're playing a "racing" game at all and instead just play it like you're playing half GTA, half Twisted Metal. Just drive in random directions and explore the wacky levels while jumping your car off the highest things you can find and laughing about the way pedestrians splatter against the car along the way.

Does this new game live up to that? If all I want to do is explore levels to see weird, neat stuff, does the game deliver?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Not really? Maybe someone will disagree with me but there's not a whole lot of anything interesting in the environments themselves.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It's more Carma 1 than Carma 2 as far as exploration goes, so there isn't as much cool stuff and hidden nooks and crannies to find by driving around. Of course, by exploring the levels you can find all the good powerups and that kind of thing, and there's some silly stuff you can find such as a strip club full of cows, some original Carma 1 cars frozen in blocks of ice, and cow/penguin hybrids at the Magnuchem cloning lab. Also, you can always try killing pedestrians with dumb environmental objects such as the hanging shark at the beach.

The problem with exploring in Reincarnation is the fact the AI now only really has one mode: KILL THE PLAYER AT ALL COSTS. They will hunt you down and try their hardest to kill you while you're minding your own business. Some players like this, I'm not a fan because I liked how you could just forget about the event and explore to your heart's content in Carma 2.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh hey, this hasn't fallen into the archives yet. It's a shame how the Reincarnation release turned out, but I guess it was to be expected. :smith:

If someone's still playing Reincarnation (or wanted to play but couldn't because of lovely performance), the new patch that just hit Steam has made the performance a lot more solid. The devs are estimating a 20%-30% increase in framerates, and I'm now able to hit 60 fps most of the time on max settings (i7-4770k, GTX 780). Suffice to say that never happened in previous builds. Some levels (Bleak City Financial) still get a bit chunky at times, but overall I'm seeing big improvements. Apparently, they've also fixed over 350 bugs.

They also seem to have made the opponent AI more aggressive, because that is just what this game needed. Unfortunately, your car is just as slow and fragile as ever. I wish they'd release the modding tools already.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 26, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ugh, they said they "Optimised [sic] car damage physics", and I don't know why I thought that would make it so your car didn't fall apart. Not sure if it's worth reinstalling then.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Why would you want to play a Carmageddon game where your car didn't fall apart? Reincarnation had a lot of problems but I'm not sure that too much car damage was one of them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

When I'm playing as Screwie Louie, I'm spending more time reattaching my wheels than I am trying to destroy the other drivers. It's insane how much you have to repair yourself, and how long it takes for you to kill anything. The drill seems to be attached with spit, and made out of paper mache.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

King Vidiot posted:

Why would you want to play a Carmageddon game where your car didn't fall apart? Reincarnation had a lot of problems but I'm not sure that too much car damage was one of them.
I completely agree with IUG that the cars in Reincarnation are way too fragile, so much so that it's my least favorite thing about the game. In the old Carma games you never got wasted in a single hit unless you went up against the Big Dump in an Eagle without upgrades or something, but here you blow into smithereens in most head-on collisions and nearly every time someone pushes you into a wall. This makes using the Eagle and the Hawk (my favorite vehicles) a waste of time after the first couple of levels, because you'll spend all your money on repairs and need to use the repulsificator to kill anything. The aggressive enemy cars ganging up on you was never really annoying in the original Carmageddon, because in that game you could take hits and keep going, but in this game it's just ridiculous because someone will usually kill you again as soon as you've finished repairing.

I mean, sure, you can drive the Plow or Subpressor or even the Caddy Fat Cat to make yourself more durable, which was something you could do in the original games too, but in Carma 1 and 2 it wasn't really necessary and the Eagle remained competitive (and arguably the best vehicle in Carma 2) throughout the whole game.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Is it better y/n?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

meat CRime posted:

Is it better y/n?
Well, it runs better for me (and everyone else, judging by the Carma forums) now. The content is still the same.

I'm watching yesterday's Carma stream at the moment, and Nobby is promising all kinds of updates for both performance and content. We'll see how that turns out, but at least they haven't forgotten about the game after the trainwreck of a release.

fake edit: Nobby just said the cars take too much damage and that is going to be fixed in an update. Thank gently caress. He specifically mentioned the cars taking too much damage from the environment, but I hope they also take a look at the damage balancing in general because it's out of whack at the moment.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 27, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, I'll reinstall it then. Performance wise was awful on a pc that can run BF4 on high settings @1080p with smooth framerate, and I even installed it on a ssd,for shorter loading times. If they balance damage, the game will go the right path.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Performance is way up for me. I agree with the thread, a bunch of numbers need to be tweaked, though I'm mostly ok with damage in regular matches, the one were you have to wreak like 6 cars to win is hard as gently caress atm though.

For me, now that I can actually see things in the game, driving feels really slow and sluggish, which I know was part of Carma 1 but I think it's still a liiitttle bit too hard to turn.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Wow, quite incredible amount of optimisation since the last time I played (Just before the abortion launch)

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the optimizations are massive. Now they just need dedicated servers so I can actually play with internet people.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Another patch, haven't played in a while and the performance is now really good compared to what it was.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I really loving love carma but I feel like watching a good reviewer talk about its current performance, preferably in a video with a fps counter, before buying it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

program666 posted:

I really loving love carma but I feel like watching a good reviewer talk about its current performance, preferably in a video with a fps counter, before buying it.

someone please travel through time and put this in the OP 3 months ago before i spent money on this game

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

buttcoinbrony posted:

someone please travel through time and put this in the OP 3 months ago before i spent money on this game
This has been in the OP since before launch:

quote:

Unfortunately, there is a caveat to all this -- the performance is mediocre at best. While it has improved greatly since Early Access, even the "final" release is not exactly well optimized and still needs a good PC to reach acceptable frame rates.

Should probably have been bolded and/or at the top of the post so you don't need to go through my useless rambling to find it, though, but I guess I underestimated how bad the performance actually was for some people. :eng99:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No one posted the trailer for the update they put up which was rendered at 60FPS even if the game wasn't running at it. Looks like mostly visual improvements. There's better lighting, better models, more gore, that sort of stuff. Hopefully it runs better too. I have yet to play it since the initial early access beta from backing it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

This has been in the OP since before launch:

Should probably have been bolded and/or at the top of the post so you don't need to go through my useless rambling to find it, though, but I guess I underestimated how bad the performance actually was for some people. :eng99:

I'm mostly shitposting because I haven't played since ~July, but the ice level brought my i7/760GTX system to its knees back then.

They edited the fat kid out of the not-Beetle, good edit.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 29, 2015

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
It runs at 45-50 fps on my i5-2500 and gtx 760, high('better quality') settings, steady 60 at the balanced settings.

Funnily enough the only dips in fps happen with the new gore stuff when the peds explode into a ridiculous amount of gibs as seen happening on the video too.

Action replay works really well though, i remember it having a load time or something before.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, the only major fps dips I'm getting at this point are happening when twenty cows are exploding around me or all the enemy cars are crashing into me at the same time at the start of the race, and even then it doesn't really go below 30 fps. Other than that, the better quality preset runs at 60 fps or higher and the balanced preset is doing 80-110 fps.

My usual benchmark in this game is Bleak City Financial at 1080p and max settings, as that is the level with the most poo poo in it and therefore the one that has always had the worst performance. Even that averaged ~50 fps on my test run. I'm still running an i7-4770K/overclocked GTX780 setup.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Holy poo poo yours is too much machine.

I was going to ask the state of the SLI usage made by this game but I think I'll do better, I'll buy it and do some tests later (like 4 hours from now) and report back, since I don't think people will do an review on the update.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have a stock I5 2500K and a 970. Here's hoping it never dips below 60. Maybe I'll finally try out this game I excitedly backed the first week I could...

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Yeah it sure took them a long time to do it but these patches are good news, not many companies improve their games that much after launch and from what we know this is not the end of it at all.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

This is the game we should have gotten at launch. I mean, I still have some gripes regarding gameplay stuff (why are these cars still so fragile and unable to reach 300 mph like in Carmageddon 2 dammit :sassargh:), but I imagine Reincarnation would have received a much warmer reception if this was what they had launched with. I thought that releasing the game in May was a bad idea because the game so obviously wasn't anywhere near finished, and now that I've played this current build I'm thinking they should've just kept Reincarnation in early access until now. Or maybe even until the next big update. Of course that would have meant another five months of Steam forums shitposting about early access games, but I think that would still have been preferable to what we actually got.

Also, even though I just complained about fragile cars for the 50th time, it feels like they have done some damage balancing for this build. I've been able to survive a bunch of crashes (including being pushed into the wall by every enemy car at the same time) that previously would've blown up the Eagle in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I can confirm it runs and looks much better now, I cranked it up to Best Quality with little issue. I'll record a video later.

They wrote some blog posts on all the performance updates since launch, for the curious:

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/post-launch-update-1
http://www.carmageddon.com/blog/ups-and-downs-updates
http://www.carmageddon.com/news/sexing-it-right

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 30, 2015

• Locked thread