Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

princecoo posted:

Not sure what you're refering to here - in my experience the SDA is the best retail union. Our agreement is actually pretty good. I do know, however that the South Australian SDA did do a really weird agreement not too long ago that seemed a bit poo poo. I'm in the Queensland SDA and they've been pretty on target with every issue.

What? The SDA I know keeps the hell out of that. It's not work related, so they don't campaign for or against any of that. The last 2 campaigns were about lowering the age where someone could be considered an adult (previously 21, now down to 20 with the ultimate goal being 18 - so that you start getting paid a full rate at 18) and fighting off a push by the retailers to abolish penalty rates. Before that I think there was a big thing about a big shopping center charging staff there by the hour for parking. I don't remember a non-work related campaign ever even mentioned.

The SDA is one of the major backers of the labor right faction. There are labor senators who are in place because of backing from the SDA - including Chris Ketter, the former head of the SDA - who are vehemently conservative. People don't realise that a huge proportion of union money goes towards political donations and campaigns. The SDA might keep quiet about where it's political money goes, and they certainly don't make noise about those issues themselves, but they explicitly support social conservative elements within the right of the labor party. You should definitely do some research, or drop into the Auspol thread and ask about it there. Plenty of people in that thread will be able to post a ton of references of the top of their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

I'm working at a grocery store chain north of Boston that is basically the Walmart of grocery stores around here, and an old lady comes in looking for a certain flavor of Gatorade that I'm pretty sure doesn't exist. At the very least I know we don't carry it. She's freaking out that we don't have it and yells:

"I NEED TO HAVE IT NOW! I'M GETTING A COLOSTOMY AND MY DOCTOR SAID I NEED THIS EXACT FLAVOR BEFORE THE SURGERY!"

Wait is it market basket?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Faerunner posted:

...is there a reason they can't get student volunteers or some poo poo to help staff the gift shop and do non-cash-register things like answer questions and greet people? I mean, that's the kind of simple poo poo that some animal-nutty vet-tech student would probably enjoy doing, and/or some elderly retired person who really likes the zoo, and they could just VOLUNTEER and provide you free help while not raising the zoo's costs too much. I mean, it has to be cheaper to 'hire' and 'manage' volunteers (they've got to have some kind of community coordinator position that would oversee a volunteer group already, and zoo tshirts aren't that expensive) than it would be to hire more actual gift shop employees, right?

Maybe I'm wrong though and volunteers are more costly. I'm sure they have to carry some kind of liability insurance and such for volunteer groups... *shrug*

Oh, we totally do, but it's actually surprising how hard it is to get people to volunteer on a regular basis. I started there volunteering at a special event and overheard they were looking to hire in the shops. Maybe it's where I live and the attitude of people here. Lots of entitled people who think they should get paid for everything and anything less is "below them". A whole bunch of "Gawd, I'm just too busy" too.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

Lots of entitled people who think they should get paid for everything and anything less is "below them".

She says in a thread about people bitching about not getting paid enough for working, in regards to people refusing to work without pay... Heh.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Picnic Princess posted:

Lots of entitled people who think they should get paid for everything and anything less is "below them". A whole bunch of "Gawd, I'm just too busy" too.

Uh I'm going to be honest and say that if you work somewhere then yeah you're probably entitled to get paid for it.

"Volunteer" positions are bullshit at a retail establishment, sorry. If it's for charity, a fundraiser, or a community event, sure volunteer for free. But a gift shop? No way.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

PCOS Bill posted:

She says in a thread about people bitching about not getting paid enough for working, in regards to people refusing to work without pay... Heh.

Yeah how dare all of those drones be bitter that they are not paid a living wage.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Woooo I did it! I finally got to the end of this thread.

I've been in a unique position where I've worked inside places like Wal-Mart and various grocery stores, but not working for them. I was a third party contractor, there either to install something or assemble things. I've been able to observe some of the insanity first hand without being drawn into it. Here are some observations off the top of my head.

Wal-Mart

Apparently it's cheaper for Wal-Mart to hire an outside company to come in and assemble their lovely merchandise, instead of training employees to do this. I'm not sure how seeing as I made more then the average Wal-Mart employee does.
While at this Wal-Mart I saw a manager go off on a young lady, probably no older then 18. I don't know what happened but he was saying something like "I'm not sure you really want to work here. Do you want to work here because there are people lining up to work here!" and the young lady was close to tears, repeatedly apologizing for what I don't know.

Grocery stores

The older a building is, the more hosed up it is once you see the areas that customers don't normally see. I'm talking rooms that are three feet higher then the stairs and that you need to stand on a box to enter, storage areas with signs and ads from 1992. Offices with running computers and a room temperature of 90+ degrees. Miles, literally miles of cabling running above the drop ceiling that's no longer connected to anything. Remanents of signs from when the store used to be called a different name, and lots of little forgotten nooks and crannies that haven't been touched in decades. And various kludged together repairs.

Large chains verses smaller ones
Smaller chains seem to be more human for better or worse. If the owner is a decent person then workers are treated better and often they make more money. People who screw up get canned quickly. Managers can be dicks, but they are still competent. Rules make sense. Problems get fixed quickly.

The bigger a chain gets the more layers of management they add, and the more asinine and less human company policies become. Seen it in this thread and first hand. They don't give a gently caress about their employees or customers (outside of being their revenue stream that they're always trying to find new ways of tapping into with personal data collection being the holy grail), but they pretend that they care which leads to non-promotion promotions, weird unrealistic goals set by people who are hopelessly out of touch, (mandatory gathering of customer email addresses comes to mind) and as seen in this thread repeatedly, cutting hours to the point where it's not worth your time to go into work and you may as well be unemployed.

Reading this thread has been like reading a long serial. Will Leal find a good job after his store shuts down? Will Cowslips Warren's job as a driver keep her away from the worst of the retail insanity? Will you guys survive the oncoming Christmas season unscathed? I guess time will tell.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah how dare all of those drones be bitter that they are not paid a living wage.

Wow you could not have missed what I'm saying any harder.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

PCOS Bill posted:

Wow you could not have missed what I'm saying any harder.

you say nothing of value anyway

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So I was told last night that they need to cut an additional 500 hours after last weeks 800 hour cut poo poo. At this point I'm not entirely sure who is going to be working there because they might as well just close down the store. The personnel coordinator told us the other day that they interviewed a bunch of people to replace the massive amounts of people who quit or got fired, gave them job offers and then were barred from calling them for orientation. I'm continuing to get a ton of overtime despite the looming threat of being written up for getting any overtime because I have no choice, I can't just leave poo poo in a pile everywhere like I guess they expect.

This job is really depressing me, I constantly feel like the biggest piece of poo poo because no matter how much I try, nothing substantial gets done. Like at this point I seriously want to lie down in the dark and die because my job makes me miserable. I look back and think that I should've listened to the little voice in the back of my head telling me "no dont take the support manager position, youll regret it" because it was right. I should've just stayed a stocker because then I could've just clocked in, did my work, clocked out and went the gently caress home instead of having this weight constantly building on my shoulders.

I don't know what to do.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

0 rows returned posted:

So I was told last night that they need to cut an additional 500 hours after last weeks 800 hour cut poo poo. At this point I'm not entirely sure who is going to be working there because they might as well just close down the store. The personnel coordinator told us the other day that they interviewed a bunch of people to replace the massive amounts of people who quit or got fired, gave them job offers and then were barred from calling them for orientation. I'm continuing to get a ton of overtime despite the looming threat of being written up for getting any overtime because I have no choice, I can't just leave poo poo in a pile everywhere like I guess they expect.

This job is really depressing me, I constantly feel like the biggest piece of poo poo because no matter how much I try, nothing substantial gets done. Like at this point I seriously want to lie down in the dark and die because my job makes me miserable. I look back and think that I should've listened to the little voice in the back of my head telling me "no dont take the support manager position, youll regret it" because it was right. I should've just stayed a stocker because then I could've just clocked in, did my work, clocked out and went the gently caress home instead of having this weight constantly building on my shoulders.

I don't know what to do.

What you are capable of doing. And if that isn't good enough, oh well, what could you do??

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

0 rows returned posted:

I don't know what to do.

It's not your fault if the people above you are making it impossible for you to accomplish anything. Why feel bad? It's a corporation. It's not like the corporation knows who you are, cares about you, or values you in any way. If a store is in a death spiral because the leadership is garbage, there isn't anything you can do about it. Shrug your shoulders, collect your paycheck, and go home. Chances are you'd still be getting the poo poo end of a different stick if you were a stocker.

I'd be looking for a different job. If a retail store is cutting that many hours as you go into the holiday seasons, that can't be good.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

0 rows returned posted:

I don't know what to do.

If I ever quit for some reason and needed to find a new job, but could only find another retail job, here's what I'd do:

-Find a job where there's a union
-If no union, then a place where there's half decent health benefits (they exist, but far too few)
-Hire into a large corporations with big box stores for more availability of jobs and promotions and hours.
-Move to an area where said corporations are seeing lots of positive growth. (if a new store opens, poo poo ton of positions and hours available for years)
-Uhh, work hard when you get hired - more opportunities will head your way

Avoid lovely and weird places such as fast food, mall size stores, and commission based jobs.

Most of these places have a max pay of about $13/hr after putting 2 to 3 years in. If you already have experience, including some management and you work hard, you could easily get in a position fairly quickly which has immediate pay raise to like $16/hr. I'm constantly seeing higher paying positions available every month.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

You need to learn that in retail none of the work you ever do will be substantial. Once you dehumanize yourself and face to the same tasks day in and day out the easier it will be

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh, we totally do, but it's actually surprising how hard it is to get people to volunteer on a regular basis. I started there volunteering at a special event and overheard they were looking to hire in the shops. Maybe it's where I live and the attitude of people here. Lots of entitled people who think they should get paid for everything and anything less is "below them". A whole bunch of "Gawd, I'm just too busy" too.

Let me say as a former zoo employee and someone who volunteered for over a year:
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH NO gently caress YOU.

I now volunteer with an animal rescue and foster kittens. I get nowhere close to the poo poo and screaming and insults or injuries as I do taking care of sick kittens than I did working with hoofstock or small mammals. I was a zoo volunteer, I was in the exhibits, I was cleaning all matters of fecal poo poo and regular poo poo and so much loving poo poo. The ONLY reason anyone volunteered (other than they needed the hours for school) was to get hired on. The owner hired from the volunteer staff, so if you had a Masters in Zoology, nope, he wasn't interested, you had to bust your rear end for possibly years unpaid for him to even consider you. And zookeeper positions were very very very rare.

I know how much the place made. I worked in the gift shop too (and yes, you had to volunteer somewhere BEFORE you could get a job in there either) and I did deposits. There was no loving reason they couldn't hire a dozen seasonal workers, but there were volunteers everywhere, desperate to work with the tigers. Sorry, play with the tigers, that's what a zookeeper does, right?

I quit the zoo because the owner kept pushing me to work the gift shop, going so far as to slice my hours in half. And daily reminders that my building was being closed and he really really really wanted me in the gift shop. I was one of the few fuckers who didn't steal. There was no way I was going from a keeper to a register monkey for the poo poo wages I was being paid. Oh, right, even if you -were- paid you were usually at or right below minimum wage. $8.50 an hour to take care of anacondas and gators? Sign me the gently caress up.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My company has a thing where they recognize employees for community service and advocates that they be active in their community. That's nice. But unless you're one of the lucky few full time employees your hours change on a weekly basis, and you may well be contemplating a second job.

Thirty hours one week, twenty hours the next. Tues-Wens-Thurs-Sat one week, Sat-Sun-Mon-Thurs the following week. They say a computer does the scheduling, but that's some bullshit, unless whoever did the programming stole code from a Wheel of Fortune game.

I jokingly asked my manager if I messed up when I had my hours cut by ten. She said 'Nah, I just messed up the schedule'. It was less funny when I saw 3 other employees ask her the same thing that day. Then she wonders why many front end people don't answer their phones when we get slammed.

Nice lady, but everybody hates the front end schedule madness.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CaptainJuan posted:

Can you tell us a Secret?

I can tell you two! (well, one and a half)

The secret is that it's just like every other lovely retail chain, only we have about 20 times more product than most mall stores, so it's incredibly easy for the place to get trashed. The second part of the secret is that our customers are frequently terrible, and are given to tossing every drawer and surface they touch like it's a drat crime scene.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cowslips Warren posted:

Let me say as a former zoo employee and someone who volunteered for over a year:
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH NO gently caress YOU.

I now volunteer with an animal rescue and foster kittens. I get nowhere close to the poo poo and screaming and insults or injuries as I do taking care of sick kittens than I did working with hoofstock or small mammals. I was a zoo volunteer, I was in the exhibits, I was cleaning all matters of fecal poo poo and regular poo poo and so much loving poo poo. The ONLY reason anyone volunteered (other than they needed the hours for school) was to get hired on. The owner hired from the volunteer staff, so if you had a Masters in Zoology, nope, he wasn't interested, you had to bust your rear end for possibly years unpaid for him to even consider you. And zookeeper positions were very very very rare.

I know how much the place made. I worked in the gift shop too (and yes, you had to volunteer somewhere BEFORE you could get a job in there either) and I did deposits. There was no loving reason they couldn't hire a dozen seasonal workers, but there were volunteers everywhere, desperate to work with the tigers. Sorry, play with the tigers, that's what a zookeeper does, right?

I quit the zoo because the owner kept pushing me to work the gift shop, going so far as to slice my hours in half. And daily reminders that my building was being closed and he really really really wanted me in the gift shop. I was one of the few fuckers who didn't steal. There was no way I was going from a keeper to a register monkey for the poo poo wages I was being paid. Oh, right, even if you -were- paid you were usually at or right below minimum wage. $8.50 an hour to take care of anacondas and gators? Sign me the gently caress up.

First off, our zoo doesn't offer animal care volunteer positions, only visitor relations and special events staff. So our story is different and the people we get have different motivations. When I did my volunteering, there were a lot of others who were total prima donnas who refused to work their shifts unless their demands were met. They would only work in specific locations and only with their friends. If they were told the location was already taken or they were needed at another place with someone they didn't know, they would leave. But they were kept on as a volunteer because we were desperate for bodies. Some activities, tasks, and locations had to be shut down on certain nights because there weren't enough people to go around. There are plenty of people who do it just because they enjoy working with people and helping out a zoo they love. But they are hard to find. Our keepers were also not hired based on volunteer experience, because as mentioned, that doesn't exist.

And so far I'm the only retail staff member who started by volunteering in the past two years. I only got the job because I overheard another volunteer saying one night the gift shop was still hiring and were also short-staffed, and that all departments were struggling with finding people who wanted to work. We get paid $12 an hour so that wasn't the issue. The issue was that we were in a boom at the time so why would people work here when they could work fast food for $13 or even $15? We don't even hire based on retail experience, for many people this is their first job and we train them from square one. Entitlement may not exist where you were, but it sure as poo poo exists here.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

First off, our zoo doesn't offer animal care volunteer positions, only visitor relations and special events staff. So our story is different and the people we get have different motivations. When I did my volunteering, there were a lot of others who were total prima donnas who refused to work their shifts unless their demands were met. They would only work in specific locations and only with their friends. If they were told the location was already taken or they were needed at another place with someone they didn't know, they would leave. But they were kept on as a volunteer because we were desperate for bodies. Some activities, tasks, and locations had to be shut down on certain nights because there weren't enough people to go around. There are plenty of people who do it just because they enjoy working with people and helping out a zoo they love. But they are hard to find. Our keepers were also not hired based on volunteer experience, because as mentioned, that doesn't exist.

And so far I'm the only retail staff member who started by volunteering in the past two years. I only got the job because I overheard another volunteer saying one night the gift shop was still hiring and were also short-staffed, and that all departments were struggling with finding people who wanted to work. We get paid $12 an hour so that wasn't the issue. The issue was that we were in a boom at the time so why would people work here when they could work fast food for $13 or even $15? We don't even hire based on retail experience, for many people this is their first job and we train them from square one. Entitlement may not exist where you were, but it sure as poo poo exists here.

Note: my zoo had volunteer positions for visitor relations/education. As for special events, that was covered by the volunteers of the zookeepers, or the keepers themselves.

And speaking as someone who does volunteer with foster kittens, who drops a good chunk of time and money on them, I get plenty irritated when other volunteers in the rescue imply I could do more. You're right, you have 30 kittens and I only have 8. But I also have a house full of other animals to take care of. I only take what I can handle these days, years ago I tried to do more and got burned out. Another volunteer got so overwhelmed some of her kittens loving died.

Not everyone is cut out to be Mother Teresa. Hell, we had plenty of volunteers at the zoo, or in the rescue, that only did it because it gave them time out of the house. And when they were bored, they'd quit. We had prima donnas. But once they left they never came back so it was moot point.

If your gift shop has issues keeping people on, then perhaps they should raise the pay or offer better benefits. But who would work fast food for even a buck more when they could do a much easier job in the zoo?

I loved the zoo I worked at until it became clear no matter how hard I worked or how great my building was, the owner didn't care. He wanted me in the gift shop. But up until then I was working seven days a week, volunteering every weekend before work, and even lived on loving grounds so I could be the night watchman. And when I first start volunteering I never had any hopes of BEING a keeper, it seemed as insanely possible as being an X-Man. So yes, there were people who volunteered for school credit and ones who only wanted to be a keeper (they felt they deserved a keeper spot and would quit when one wasn't offered) but there were people like me too, who worked 8 hours a day for no money because we felt good helping out the zoo.

Years later, irony struck because I tried to convince a friend, who was working/volunteering for 50+ a week in her friend's gaming store, that she needed to get paid for doing loving tiling and painting the walls and running inventory, and she got defensive because "it was really important the store succeeded' AND she got 'paid' in free rentals and a free videogame once a month. She loved the store. She loved working in it every day. But somehow her dad, who wanted her to pay rent, was a 'Nazi' for not letting her continue her seven-day workweek for a game a month.

As for entitled...No one should feel obligated to take a lower paying job because they're 'entitled.'

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
More sporadic Gas Station stuff.

We switched our end of day from "before 5AM" to "must be between Midnight and 1am." We have lost a lot of customers because people (read stoners) love the 12am to 2am time for their weed papers (read cigarillos). I have come to call these people the "No Life Brigade," because I see them every night, buying the same thing. The Worst of the No Life Brigade is a couple that come in and like to tell us their problems. Here is what I know of them: The female LOVES the dude, she cannot stay away from him and cannot think of anything to talk about but him. He does not share these feelings, the feel he does love is basically anything on his dick. He will leave her at a moments notice to sleep with anything with a vagina. to the point where he now has at least 3 kids. One is with the femake that loves him, but they gave it up for adoption (at the requestdemand of the guy's family, but it's open so she can still see the baby once a month), one is with a lady in Idaho that he's now paying for her house (somehow), and the other one was with his drug dealer, who was 15 at the time, which means the guy is classified as a Sex Offender now. I know this not just because they alwas show up right at 12:30 AM and try to stay for 30 minutes, but also because the guy used to work for my store and the girl currently does.

Tomorrow I was asked to come in 4 hours early to help our "newest" employee work the register. She has been there over a month and we got in new registers, so they're new to everyone. She is the only one with any issues with anything basic. She thinks I'm going to come in four hours early tomorrow to help her.

I also think my assistant Manager is telling me how to do things wrong so I get fired. It's a shame for her I know how to do my job.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My store is weird as hell. I'm not talking Lovecraft levels of weird, but more like Twin Peaks Lite, where random little things just stick out at me.

Today I went into the public bathroom and found a handful of screws and nails scattered all over the floor. Big ones. Why? hosed if I know. There were almost thirty of them, some new, some used. I'm guessing some lazy contractor took a dump in our bathroom.

Last week a random guy stalked up behind me while I was straightening out a shelf. He got close enough that the hairs of his mustache brushed the back of my neck, and he whispered 'Jesus Is Coming'.

I turned around and looked him in the eye. He was a little smaller than me, and much skinnier, a beanpole forty-year old man with a wrinkled face and a Nascar cap on his head. He looked at me like my dog does when he thinks I have food in my hand, but isn't quite sure.

"Uhhh... Ok," I said. "Have a nice day?" That seemed to satisfy him. He left.

I find religious stuff everywhere. More often than not, it's Watchtower pamphlets and whatever. Sometimes the religious folk come through the lines, and sometimes the cashier makes the mistake of showing any interest at all. When that happens, the queue comes to a screeching halt as they proselytize to the cashier.

It ends up all over the place. All. Over. I've found anti-abortion stuff taped to the top of our garbage cans. Once, I found a Watchtower pamphlet left balanced on the toilet paper dispenser in the public bathroom. I threw it in the toilet to see if it would flush, then threw my hands in the air and shouted 'HALLELUJAH' when it went swirling down the drain.

Then there was the night I was pulling trash and I saw some weirdo kid pacing around by one of the cans. As soon as I saw the guy, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and did the Harlem Shake. He looked completely normal and non-threatening, all lank and bone like a skater boy, but there was just something... off.

I told myself I was being paranoid, then went to pull the can near him.

He stopped pacing when he realized I was there. He stood, watching me as I checked the garbage, then he walked up to my side and said, "Hey man, can you help me with something?"

"Sure," I said, half paying attention as I yanked the garbage from the can.

"Can you help me get my cellphone back? These guys took it from me in the parking lot, over by that car." He nodded into the parking lot, indicating a dented up sedan. It was idling with the lights on. The dash was lit up enough that I saw movement inside, but couldn't make out any solid shapes.

I looked at the squirrelly guy. "What do you want me to do about it, sir?"

"Uh, um, could you come over and help me get it back?"

:what:

"Sorry sir, I can't do that," I said. I tied the bag, threw it into the cart, and readied a new one. My thumbs were slipping on the cheap plastic bin liner and it took forever to open.

"Please? I have to make a phone call, and I really need that phone."

I hooked my thumb over my shoulder at the police station down the block. "They'll help you, sir. Call them, or go in and file and report."

His body posture stiffened up. He looked over at the car, then back at me, making furtive little movements with his hands. "It's just a fourteen year old kid. Come on! Please?"

Now the story had changed from 'some guys' to 'just a teenager' and everything about this guy was screaming at me to get the gently caress away from him. I dropped all pretense of politeness, stood up straight, and slammed the can shut.

"No. I ain't paid enough start fights in parking lots." But this wasn't enough. He kept asking, I kept saying no, and he followed me to the next can, trying everything he could think of to persuade me. I went inside as soon as I was finished, told a few people about the weirdo, and then left to go home.

He was trying to convince our 65 year old gas station attendant to help him when I drove off for the night.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I had a really nasty habit of seeing a Mormon on their Mission and engaging them in a conversation about it on the job. This has always, always ended with them giving me a card inviting me to some momo info session, but still I persist. I even stop to chat with them to this day. I don't understand what's wrong with me :negative:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Not religious, but there is a couple of guys who frequent our store who are unique.

I'll start with Ronny. Ronny is a little old man, by which I mean he looks old, but has that meth-head agelessness. He is extremely thin and has long white hair and a face that reminds me of a rat or ferret. Ronny is, I'm pretty sure, handicapped in some way. He likes to collapse all over the store. Like, obviously fake slipping over on dry ground, or pulling a box of cereal on himself and flailing around like someones pegged him with half a brick. Then he plays dead until somebody comes over and goes through the motions because of the off chance that the nutbar one day actually does get hurt. He speaks in a mumbled whisper and after one of his "falls" he always just says he's okay, it's fine and leaves.

For a while he added "fake concussion" to his schtick and after a couple of times the ambulance refused to come for him. They are based across the road from our store, and usually if called for a customer they come over with 2 paramedics and the ambulance but now if a call goes out in store for Ronny, one of the duty guys jogs across the road to eyeball the situation and prevent everybody wasting their time.

The other guy is handicapped and has a carer take him around to do his shopping. He's tall and has a goatee and wears this big cowboy hat everywhere, and goddamn does he talk. Like, he will straight up pin you down somewhere and yap at you without drawing breath. You should see the floor clear when the staff see him come in. Suddenly everybody is "on-break" or remembers something vitally important to do out the back.

A typical conversation:

:buddy: Excuse me, can you tell me where the reduced to clear milk is?
:smugjones: Sure, it's right over here, in the reduced to clear bay.
:buddy: Oh good because I was looking for the reduced to clear milk because it's so much cheaper compared to the regular fresh milk although I suppose you guys must have to reduce it to make it sell quickly before it's use by date like how I had to try and sell this extra set of chairs I have but they don't have a use by date on them because they're just chairs but really nice chairs not like the chairs they have at the RSL, those are really uncomfortable to sit on but I guess in your job you don't really get to sit down much do you, huh, hey do you still have last weeks special catalogue, there was a great special on tomatos that I wanted to show one of my friends it was a really great price I know it's not on special this week but I just wanted the old catalogue to show them this great price it was really cheap and they're not on special this week because the specials change every Wednesday and it's Friday today which means I have to get down to the library and talk to the librarian I have some videos to check out, did you know you could do that? I didn't but you can and it's really easy but you can't do it on the weekend its too late and they're not open which isn't really fair in my opinion, what do you think? It's not fair if you can't get down during the week but I can which is good because otherwise I wouldn't be able to go shopping today and get this reduced to clear milk becuse it's so much cheaper than regular fresh milk but still just as good you just need to make sure you drink it sooner and.................................................................
:staredog:

You can see peoples eyes glaze over after a few seconds of having to interact with him, I honestly don't know how his carers can spend a whole day with him.

What is fun is sending new staff out to aisles he's in and watching them start out eager and helpful and then try and fail multiple times to politely end the "conversation" to get away.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ive got a few like that. They each show up about once or twice a month.

The downside is that im called to deal with them because nobody else will. One of them is a BIG buyer though. Im talking, 6 bunk beds, 4 washer/dryer combos, mattresses for each bed, 12 dressers Big Buyer every time hes in. Guy loves to tell stories about his youth.

Used to have one customer who would buy tons of ammo years ago. Everyone hated him, but i never could figure out why. He was always friendly, had some neat stories from when he was in Viet Nam, and always brought in different guns with him. One day he came in, full molly vest/tac gear, had 4 pistols in holsters, 2 on each side of the vest and did complete tear downs of each one and showed me how to properly maintain a handgun. It was pretty awesome. Sadly, the last time i saw the guy he was reminiscing about a friend of his. drat near in tears the whole time while telling me stories about his friend being the best damned Viet Nam pilot ever. "Ever seen a helicopter do a barrel roll?" After that day, he stopped coming in. Sadly, a few years later, a friend of his that he came with sometimes showed up and said the guy had committed suicide right after his wife died.

While there are things about retail ive started to really hate... There are people who show up every now and then who im glad ive had the chance to meet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Ive got a few like that. They each show up about once or twice a month.

The downside is that im called to deal with them because nobody else will. One of them is a BIG buyer though. Im talking, 6 bunk beds, 4 washer/dryer combos, mattresses for each bed, 12 dressers Big Buyer every time hes in. Guy loves to tell stories about his youth.

Used to have one customer who would buy tons of ammo years ago. Everyone hated him, but i never could figure out why. He was always friendly, had some neat stories from when he was in Viet Nam, and always brought in different guns with him. One day he came in, full molly vest/tac gear, had 4 pistols in holsters, 2 on each side of the vest and did complete tear downs of each one and showed me how to properly maintain a handgun. It was pretty awesome. Sadly, the last time i saw the guy he was reminiscing about a friend of his. drat near in tears the whole time while telling me stories about his friend being the best damned Viet Nam pilot ever. "Ever seen a helicopter do a barrel roll?" After that day, he stopped coming in. Sadly, a few years later, a friend of his that he came with sometimes showed up and said the guy had committed suicide right after his wife died.

While there are things about retail ive started to really hate... There are people who show up every now and then who im glad ive had the chance to meet.

I know America is nuts and all, but surely people aren't permitted to just wander about in public wearing an armoury?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

The Lord Bude posted:

I know America is nuts and all, but surely people aren't permitted to just wander about in public wearing an armoury?

If they aren't brandishing, most people don't care.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Depends on the states individual laws. Arizona really doesnt have much in the way of limiting. Hell, my state even abolished the need for a Concealed Carry license to hide a gun on you. You can just conceal whenever you want.

We do have some strange laws with knives/exotic melee weapons. Some are being changed though. Used to be limited to a blade with less than 1.5 inches unless you owned a concealed carry license. This got changed about a year after the gun law was changed. Now you can carry any length blade pretty much.

Arizona... Its the Wild West.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That's insane.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

fuckin' :lol:

I can't even tell you how many guns I've seen at work. For starters, we've got a police station pretty close to the store. It isn't uncommon for officers to come through with all their gear on.

Then we've got the customers. A surprising number of people are stupid enough to open carry at the supermarket. Why? I don't know. It's not like it's hard to get a concealed carry permit on my state. There's no real reason to open carry other than 'I don't want to put any effort into what I wear', or 'I'm stupid and lazy'. If you can afford a decent gun and a holster you can afford the 80 bucks for the 4 hour class and the permit fee.

One of our regular customers is an elderly gentleman that must have immigrated here from around Utah or New Mexico. He's tall and gaunt, around 6'5", and he looks like he should be out on the plains. His face is red and weather-beaten, he always wears jeans, earth tone shirts with blocky mid-west patterns, cowboy boots and a bolo tie.

I have never seen him without his pistol, some kind of Browning Hi-Power. He's a friendly guy, never causes problems, and he's in the store almost every day.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I can't even tell you how many guns I've seen at work. For starters, we've got a police station pretty close to the store. It isn't uncommon for officers to come through with all their gear on.

Then we've got the customers. A surprising number of people are stupid enough to open carry at the supermarket. Why? I don't know. It's not like it's hard to get a concealed carry permit on my state. There's no real reason to open carry other than 'I don't want to put any effort into what I wear', or 'I'm stupid and lazy'. If you can afford a decent gun and a holster you can afford the 80 bucks for the 4 hour class and the permit fee.

One of our regular customers is an elderly gentleman that must have immigrated here from around Utah or New Mexico. He's tall and gaunt, around 6'5", and he looks like he should be out on the plains. His face is red and weather-beaten, he always wears jeans, earth tone shirts with blocky mid-west patterns, cowboy boots and a bolo tie.

I have never seen him without his pistol, some kind of Browning Hi-Power. He's a friendly guy, never causes problems, and he's in the store almost every day.

Where are you located? Like is it mostly a farming area? I only ask because my family knows a lot of people who live in very rural areas and they basically open carry 100% of the time because there is a risk of wildlife. Like one family friend carries a revolver just for snakes because the closest facility with anti venom is something like 2 hours by medflight

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eh. It doesn't take long to get into the sticks and farmland from where I live, but it's a fairly decent sized town. We're maybe 10 minutes away from one of the best hospitals in the state.

Most of the customers that are strapped don't really look like the farming or 'roughin' it' type. The last one I saw was wearing bright red shorts, an ICP t-shirt, some ugly rear end sneakers, and a baseball cap. He also rode a scooter.

There isn't really and wildlife to defend yourself from. We've got black bears that occasionally wander into town, but they're rare, and they're huge cowards that bolt when you clap your hands. We've got snakes a-plenty, but if you have time to see a snake, draw, and aim before it bites you, you've got time to take a step back. A good pair of snake boots is significantly cheaper than a decent pistol and more useful for the task.

The biggest threats are probably dogs, 'yotes, and deer. Loose dogs aren't uncommon. Coyotes stick to the woods, but they peek out now and again. Deer are everywhere, but unless you approach one ( like an idiot ), or hit one in your car, they're not a problem.

The majority of our customers just open carry because they're huge tools or because ARE RAIGHTS :bahgawd:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
In Texas, the state everyone stereotypes about guns, it's illegal to open carry. On the flip side almost everyone has a conceal carry permit so odds are pretty good anyone you talk to is armed.

In my experience the only people who open carry are giant dicks who just want to show off that they own a gun and/or are one of those MY RIGHTS A 'MURRICAN types.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Police are different - they are often working, or taking a quick shopping break during their shift and that gear is just their standard equipment, but the idea that a civilian should be permitted to wander around with a handgun is insane - I'm not sure that a civilian should even be permitted to own one unless they work in security or something. You can make a case for shotguns on farms and whatnot, or rifles for sport, but a handgun is different in the sense that it's specifically designed as a concealable sidearm for shooting other people.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Where are you located? Like is it mostly a farming area? I only ask because my family knows a lot of people who live in very rural areas and they basically open carry 100% of the time because there is a risk of wildlife. Like one family friend carries a revolver just for snakes because the closest facility with anti venom is something like 2 hours by medflight

In Australia if you kill a snake (or any other native wildlife really - have a possum in your roof? the nice possum man will catch it and release it, but no more than a block away so it doesn't get lost) you are paying a 6 digit fine. 99% of the time if you get bitten by a snake it's your fault for being stupid - snakes don't randomly go on people killing sprees, leave it alone and it won't hurt you.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

In Australia if you kill a snake (or any other native wildlife really - have a possum in your roof? the nice possum man will catch it and release it, but no more than a block away so it doesn't get lost) you are paying a 6 digit fine.

Wow that's stupid.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Police are different - they are often working, or taking a quick shopping break during their shift and that gear is just their standard equipment, but the idea that a civilian should be permitted to wander around with a handgun is insane - I'm not sure that a civilian should even be permitted to own one unless they work in security or something.

I've got guns of my own, including three handguns. I've thought of getting a carry permit not because of muggers, but because people are really bad at keeping their dogs under control. Most of them scatter when I yell at them or stomp my feet, but some of them are more aggressive, especially when I'm walking my tiny dog.

Never even occurred to me to carry at the grocery store.

Customers carrying guns doesn't really bother me much, but I'd get uncomfortable in a hurry if someone went full-rear end in a top hat on me while they were strapped, citizen or cop. It's just that almost every open carry guy is less 'responsible adult' and more 'stupid rear end goober'.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Most people who carry, carry wherever they are. It isn't "I'm going to the grocery store, time to grab the Glock." it's "I'm dressed for the day, holster is tucked in, ready to do what needs to be done for the day."

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yup can confirm, I'm in Arizona too and I see a lot of dudes who open carry in my store. The weird thing is though, I had literally never seen anyone open carry before I got this job, other than a gas station clerk once (which imo is really smart good on that gas man). It's almost like the people most afraid of the world outside don't go outside. :eyepop:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Butyraceous posted:

It's almost like the people most afraid of the world outside don't go outside. :eyepop:

So like how you didn't go out before you got that job or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PCOS Bill posted:

Most people who carry, carry wherever they are. It isn't "I'm going to the grocery store, time to grab the Glock." it's "I'm dressed for the day, holster is tucked in, ready to do what needs to be done for the day."

Yeah those types tend to be crazy paranoid, so they bring guns everywhere and they want you to know it.