Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hate Speech: legal or not?
I'm from America and it should be legal.
From America, illegal.
Other first world country, it should be legal.
Other first world country, illegal.
Developing country, keep it legal.
Developing country, illegal.
View Results

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Its not about feelings its about public safety.

Does anyone discriminate against you? I ask because its a surreal experience to have people call for your destruction, euthanasia and general mistreatment when they don't know you can hear them.

Hate speech laws aren't to prevent political or religious speech they're to make sure someone doesn't die.
It takes some willful density to twist that into government censorship.

Is this what a free speech amendment nut looks like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Badger of Basra posted:

What is natetimm's wondrous policy for protecting minority groups from hate speech?

My policy is that you don't have a right to be protected from being offended.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

What is natetimm's wondrous policy for protecting minority groups from hate speech?

I put £5 on "deal with it"

E:

natetimm posted:

YES

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Dreylad posted:

Also speech is limited in the US, I don't know why Americans believe otherwise.

It reminds me extreme gun fetishests. The second amendment of course ignoring the defining clause and just focusing on the I get to have 'arms' doesn't have a qualifier on the type or power of those arms yet we clearly as a society realize people owning RPGs, mortars and shoulder mounted missiles is a bad thing, never mind extreme military grade ordinance. There are of course a few nut jobs who do believe the right is unrestricted and they should get to have whatever they want.

'Hate' speech is still protected. You can say whatever the gently caress you want to whoever wants to listen in private. You can rant about the sodomites destroying the very fabric of humanity if you are dating/married to another lunatic or how blacks are monkeys or whatever vile poo poo you believe.

It's sort of like states without open carry. You can have your penile extension and rub your genitals all over it as much as you want but the rest of society in those areas realize people walking around with ar-15s strapped to their back in McDonalds can create a public panic or loving up the mind of your children shooting cardboard targets of blacks criminals in your back yard living in a suburb is not ok, so your right to own a gun has restrictions. You can have them, we just put limits on what kind and what you can do with them.

There is no law restricting what you think or say, the restrictions all have to do with where and how you express them.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

RuanGacho posted:

Its not about feelings its about public safety.

Does anyone discriminate against you? I ask because its a surreal experience to have people call for your destruction, euthanasia and general mistreatment when they don't know you can hear them.

Hate speech laws aren't to prevent political or religious speech they're to make sure someone doesn't die.
It takes some willful density to twist that into government censorship.

Is this what a free speech amendment nut looks like?

This is hysterical bullshit. Nobody ever died from hate speech.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

natetimm posted:

Why not?

natetimm posted:

Creating an environment where speech calling for harm, etc. based on someone's characteristics is not a good thing. You don't need for someone to actually die before you think "wow, racism sure is bad!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Natenimm you claim all speech should be protected. Do you feel children who verbally antagonize other children through calling them names like human being etc.. is protected Speech.

Is it okay for a Adult to say hurtful things to a child or minor that has identified as LGBT?

Would you be okay with a person in authority like a Teacher telling a minor or child something hurtful or harmful? Even though they are expressing their opinion?

Would you be okay with a Adult coming up to a child who may be transgender and telling them harmful things?

Would you be okay with a teacher at school met the child outside of school such as a store or similar place then expressed their view on the child or minor?

Do you count emotional harm as harm or do you discount it? Is emotional harm impossible?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

natetimm posted:

Proof of some beneficial effect. A reduction in crime, perhaps? At this point all they're enforcing is people's hurt feelings.

So in order to be objectively justified in committing some sort of prohibitive action, one has to have solid, objective proof that committing that action will bring about an outcome they consider to be beneficial. Subjectively beneficial. Got it.

natetimm posted:

I imagine it really is very easy to dismiss laws implementing hate speech when you think that the only effect of hate speech is to offend people, and not to push them into committing harmful acts upon themselves or others.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

You are posting this in a comments section.

And do you believe you have a constitutional right to be here? Is probating you violating your first amendment rights?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Because the interest in protecting free speech for all of society outweighs a selected group's right to not be offended, and laws passed to reduce hurt feelings due to speech are too easily abused.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

natetimm posted:

"Hey Mom, what's this word in the newspaper? Bullied teen committed 'Sue-ee-cide?' What the gently caress is that?"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress the police, kill the rich, death to America, etc.

Speaking the truth should never be a crime.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

natetimm posted:

This is the party line for the useful idiots. Conrgats on buying it. You can do both of those things without violating another person's rights, it's just a lot harder and you don't get to feel as self-righteous.

actually its a lot harder to the point of being impossible so your hypothetical situation is not even worth discussing.

but you cant see this because youre actually just looking for an excuse to be a massive shithead to people without repercussion or difficulty.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
natetimm has a point. as a straight white man who rarely ventures outside of his house, i don't see the harm that negative social contact can do to others. elminiating all social contact altogether is far more efficient anyway

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

natetimm posted:

Because the interest in protecting free speech for all of society outweighs a selected group's right to not be offended, and laws passed to reduce hurt feelings due to speech are too easily abused.

That sounds like a subjective judgement to me.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Rent-A-Cop posted:

agreed

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Natenimm you claim all speech should be protected. Do you feel children who verbally antagonize other children through calling them names like human being etc.. is protected Speech.

Is it okay for a Adult to say hurtful things to a child or minor that has identified as LGBT?

Would you be okay with a person in authority like a Teacher telling a minor or child something hurtful or harmful? Even though they are expressing their opinion?

Would you be okay with a Adult coming up to a child who may be transgender and telling them harmful things?

Would you be okay with a teacher at school met the child outside of school such as a store or similar place then expressed their view on the child or minor?

Do you count emotional harm as harm or do you discount it? Is emotional harm impossible?

Emotional harm counts, but not enough to put people in jail over it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

natetimm posted:

Technically nobody ever died from death threats either but they're still illegal!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

there's no such thing as emotional harm if you're autistic. checkmate, feelings havers

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

Technically nobody ever died from death threats either but they're still illegal!

Being offensive and credibly threatening someone with death are totally the same thing!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Badger of Basra posted:

vouchers for thicker (and whiter) skin

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

natetimm posted:

Being offensive and credibly threatening someone with death are totally the same thing!

agreed, gamergators are terrible and should be silenced

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Straight white man baffled at concept that hate speech is detrimental to wellbeing of recipients. In other news, water wet, fire hot.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

Straight white man baffled at concept that hate speech is detrimental to wellbeing of recipients. In other news, water wet, fire hot.

I'm sorry for triggering you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

Oh, so I suppose all those LGBT teens who commit suicide every year do it for literally no reason. Nope, none at all. That or I suppose they just aren't people to you. Which is it, I wonder? gently caress you

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

quote:

When you think about it pro-choice is the real hate speech.

Thousands of dead babies! Ban this sick filth!

If you don't think that's how hate speech laws would go in America you are dumb + wrong.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

"Attempted murder," now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for "attempted chemistry?"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Popular Thug Drink posted:

there's no such thing as emotional harm if you're autistic. checkmate, feelings havers

i wish :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

natetimm posted:

Uhh, yes? Because you see nobody's actually dying and it's only words so they're 100% commensurable and my right to threaten to loving lynch a friend of the family is too precious to be threatened by people being offended by that?!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Who What Now posted:

Oh, so I suppose all those LGBT teens who commit suicide every year do it for literally no reason. Nope, none at all. That or I suppose they just aren't people to you. Which is it, I wonder? gently caress you

Think of the children!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

natetimm posted:

Being offensive in a way that credibly drives an individual to kill themselves (or kill others) does, however, have rather similar effects to credibly threatening someone with death. But I suppose since crabmonsters probably don't have a central nervous system, you wouldn't comprehend the psychology behind that statement.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

natetimm posted:

Think of the children!

Lmao okay so you're just going to dismiss a bunch of suicides caused by hate speech. Cool.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

Think of the children!

Not actually people to you, got it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Speaking the truth should never be a crime.

Go nuts, just don't form a militia or klan rally over it.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

natetimm posted:

Emotional harm counts, but not enough to put people in jail over it.

If emotional harm counts the why do you trivialize it by calling it "hurt feelings" and "being offended"? And with

natetimm posted:

Think of the children!

in response to child suicide?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

Think of the children!

wow go gently caress yourself crabman

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Rollofthedice posted:

Being offensive in a way that credibly drives an individual to kill themselves (or kill others) does, however, have rather similar effects to credibly threatening someone with death. But I suppose since crabmonsters probably don't have a central nervous system, you wouldn't comprehend the psychology behind that statement.

This post is very offensive and stereotypical in regards to crab persons. I'll have you know it's hate speech.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Go nuts, just don't form a militia or klan rally over it.
Good thing the feelings of rich white people and their stooges are less important than the rights of everyone else or chanting "gently caress the police!" might be a criminal speech rally.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

natetimm posted:

Think of the children!

You are absolutely repulsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound