Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hate Speech: legal or not?
I'm from America and it should be legal.
From America, illegal.
Other first world country, it should be legal.
Other first world country, illegal.
Developing country, keep it legal.
Developing country, illegal.
View Results

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LGD posted:

I think the "slippery slope is invalid" arguments would be far more persuasive if:

a.) pretty much all historical examples of speech restrictions weren't abhorrent
b.) the U.S.'s policy on speech hadn't been created as a response to such past restrictions on speech
c.) the better societal norms that people are trying to enshrine with speech restrictions now didn't seem to benefit so heavily from an absence of speech restrictions in the past

I mean its maybe it really is different this time, but given the respective track records I know which horse I'd prefer to back.

And in the case of a country like Uganda, I feel like I know which norm (free speech vs. restrictions on socially harmful speech) would be more likely to lead to the country deciding that killing all the gays maybe isn't such a swell idea after all

Which historical examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

Which historical examples?

Are you familiar with the terms "blasphemy," "heresy" and "sedition?" Or variants like "seditious libel," a charge associated with a court that inspired several aspects of the U.S. constitution? You seem like you might not be, so you should probably look them up.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LGD posted:

Are you familiar with the terms "blasphemy," "heresy" and "sedition?" Or variants like "seditious libel," a charge associated with a court that inspired several aspects of the U.S. constitution? You seem like you might not be, so you should probably look them up.

I am fairly certain we are arguing freedom of speech, not religion. So heresy and blasphemy is a wash here.

Seditious libel - "threat of action... designed... to intimidate the public or a section of the public"

I'll let you figure out how that's dissimilar from saying that maybe LGBT are actually people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Alternate reality religious right-winger OwlFancier: "I think it's probably bad for ARE CHILDREN to have gay people be allowed to be around them in the street, so I think it's good if we stopped that from happening." The possible benefits from restricting hateful speech don't tempt me remotely enough to crack the door open even a bit for the John Hagees of the U.S.

See my above response to OwlFancier. It's not a worthwhile trade-off/risk, even if I didn't give a gently caress about political opponents' rights on principle.

These very two paragraphs are why I'm asking you to think critically about why calling gay people inhuman is, or is not, political speech. Stop ignoring the question and address it, please. For the sake of this to be a debate and not merely your polemic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

I am fairly certain we are arguing freedom of speech, not religion. So heresy and blasphemy is a wash here.

Seditious libel - "threat of action... designed... to intimidate the public or a section of the public"

I'll let you figure out how that's dissimilar from saying that maybe LGBT are actually people.

It doesn't matter how different it is, you can say that promoting homosexuality is intended to undermine the health, safety and military preparedness of the nation. You can say whatever you want when popular opinion is on your side. And if you've undermined the precedent that speech should not be regulated, it's that much easier to do.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Contrariwise, prejudice is inevitable once you deny that people have any right to dignity. Inevitably, people will, in a society where hatred and mistreatment are explicitly acceptable, take advantage of the opportunities offered.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

Do you think that perhaps an important component of freedom of speech is freedom to speak about religion, the religious, and religious institutions? And do you see why, in a thread where people are seriously suggesting we make criticism of religious adherents a crime, a person may feel that there are some fairly direct comparisons between such a proposal and past laws against blasphemy and heresy? And that dismissals of the concern as being about freedom of religion rather than speech is the very farthest thing from reassuring?

Gravel Gravy posted:

Whoa that elided quotation from the UK's Terrorism Act 2000 included in the the wikipedia article is wildly persuasive, I sure feel persuaded you've got a good grasp on the subject.

Or not, you know, because I was quite obviously referring to its historical use, which you completely fail to address or even indicate you understand.

I'm sorry you don't like the comparisons being drawn, but that's because the history of legal restrictions on speech meant to protect the public interest, and their track record of abuse, is actually loving terrible, not because such comparisons are unfair.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I get the feeling that the people who believe that nobody has an inherent right to dignity also live by the mantra of "Respect has to be earned" which is frankly sociopathic to even consider. Why would you not treat everyone with respect, unless they give you a reason not to?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

At this point the thread has diverged into two conversations. One about the freedom of speech in general and the other is on the concept of responsible speech. It would be nice if these could be separated, if only to solve this clusterfuck.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

I get the feeling that the people who believe that nobody has an inherent right to dignity also live by the mantra of "Respect has to be earned" which is frankly sociopathic to even consider. Why would you not treat everyone with respect, unless they give you a reason not to?

What does respect have to do with the law? You can't force people to respect others. You can force them to shut up about their disrespect but what do you think that is going to accomplish in a country where the right already has a persecution complex? You think it's going to stop them from bullying people? From killing people?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SedanChair posted:

What does respect have to do with the law? You can't force people to respect others. You can force them to shut up about their disrespect but what do you think that is going to accomplish in a country where the right already has a persecution complex? You think it's going to stop them from bullying people? From killing people?

Agreed, let the free market sort it out.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The law only operates by forcing people, and doesn't inform their beliefs about what's acceptable. Also, only hard-core right-wingers ever engage in or support hate speech.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hrmm, Constitutional scholar rudatron that's a fascinating theory. Especially since McCarthy existed before the Brandenburg case in 1969 that defined the modern First Amendment. He literally was not operating under the same restrictions a modern fascist would. OTOH it's left wingers (by American standards) in all other first world countries that originated hate speech law. And such laws are automatically unamerican...
Hmm, that's interesting, when the red scare occurred they weren't protected at all, but when a KKK rally starts advocating violence as a means of social change, WOAH HO NOW, suddently the law is reinterpreted to protect them.

Sounds to me like exactly the point I was making, in that when idiots start talking about how the 1st amendment protects all extreme views, they're being a moron. It only protects the right-wing ones, when it comes to the left there are other sorts of excuses that are trotted out.

Here's another examples of flouting legality that's perfectly normal, and way worse than whatever imaginary threat hate speech laws pose: abortion clinic attacks. See, Abortion is supposed to be legal, and this has been established in a supreme court decision. Funny thing is, abortion clinics all over the US are closing. Know why? Because state legislatures keep upping the requirements that clinics must fulfill, with the implicit goal of trying to force them out of business. They need unnecessarily expensive medical set-ups, or they need to show the patient a scan of their baby before they can actually perform the operation, or whatever. So while the legal right technically exists, in reality that right is being denied, because it's being made harder & harder to fulfill.

Is this getting coverage? Is this seen as a crisis of legality? No. That's the double standard. The right can used underhanded, deceptive trickery and get away with it. It only has to respect the law if it's convenient for them, when it's not, they'll just cheat. This from the same people banging that drum of law and order. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Effectronica posted:

The law only operates by forcing people, and doesn't inform their beliefs about what's acceptable. Also, only hard-core right-wingers ever engage in or support hate speech.

This is clearly untrue, as Stalin was bad and mean, therefore left-wingers are the real monsters.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SedanChair posted:

It doesn't matter how different it is, you can say that promoting homosexuality is intended to undermine the health, safety and military preparedness of the nation. You can say whatever you want when popular opinion is on your side. And if you've undermined the precedent that speech should not be regulated, it's that much easier to do.

So hate speech is bad?

Also glad we are finally bringing public opinion into the mix to kill the idea that a slippery slope from law to fascism is a worthwhile argument.

LGD posted:

Do you think that perhaps an important component of freedom of speech is freedom to speak about religion, the religious, and religious institutions? And do you see why, in a thread where people are seriously suggesting we make criticism of religious adherents a crime, a person may feel that there are some fairly direct comparisons between such a proposal and past laws against blasphemy and heresy? And that dismissals of the concern as being about freedom of religion rather than speech is the very farthest thing from reassuring?
I think religion is covered from other parts of the first amendment. Given the narrow focus of this debate you're just muddying the focus. Beyond that, save your crocodile tears.

LGD posted:

Whoa that elided quotation from the UK's Terrorism Act 2000 included in the the wikipedia article is wildly persuasive, I sure feel persuaded you've got a good grasp on the subject.

Or not, you know, because I was quite obviously referring to its historical use, which you completely fail to address or even indicate you understand.

I'm sorry you don't like the comparisons being drawn, but that's because the history of legal restrictions on speech meant to protect the public interest, and their track record of abuse, is actually loving terrible, not because such comparisons are unfair.

Are you angry that the county registrar didn't process the burn permit for your effigy collection or something?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rudatron posted:

Is this getting coverage? Is this seen as a crisis of legality? No. That's the double standard. The right can used underhanded, deceptive trickery and get away with it. It only has to respect the law if it's convenient for them, when it's not, they'll just cheat. This from the same people banging that drum of law and order. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Well, yes, but as Correct Poster LGD pointed out, heresy was once banned speech, and that was at one point abused by a woman known as Elizabeth I of England. Clearly such a monster proves that if women are allowed control over their body they will suppress the right of free speech using religion as the anti-free-speech pill that poisons democracy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

So hate speech is bad?

I don't know what you're driving at, but as modern liberals define it, of course it is bad.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

I think religion is covered from other parts of the first amendment. Given the narrow focus of this debate you're just muddying the focus. Beyond that, save your crocodile tears.

Are you angry that the county registrar didn't process the burn permit for your effigy collection or something?

So what's the gameplan here? Drop any pretense of putting effort into your posts and start slinging ad homs and implications of moral inferiority because you're completely incapable of arguing your position, in the hopes that I'll rage out at you and get myself probated or something?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LGD posted:

So what's the gameplan here? Drop any pretense of putting effort into your posts and start slinging ad homs and implications of moral inferiority because you're completely incapable of arguing your position, in the hopes that I'll rage out at you and get myself probated or something?

No. I think it's just plain conversation.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I mean I appreciate that laws have the capacity to be abused but that is typically why they'd ideally have clauses and stipulations to avoid any unintended consequences.

It's typically why a lawyer just starting had to mortgage their firstborn just to get their first law library as opposed to a spending a day getting a pencil trace of Hammurabi's code.

LGD posted:

I'm just trying to glean some perspective on why you're being obtuse.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 3, 2015

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

I mean I appreciate that laws have the capacity to be abused but that is typically why they'd ideally have clauses and stipulations to avoid any unintended consequences.
Oh good, I'm sure that enough clauses and stipulations will stop any side effects that by definition are unforeseen. That makes me feel so much better about the legitimization of a category of laws that until quite recently had a history of nothing but abuses. Why care about process or norms if we can potentially expedite our desired social changes by a few years?

quote:

I'm just trying to glean some perspective on why you're being obtuse.

I'm being "obtuse" because you're doing a very, very, very bad job making a coherent or persuasive argument. But please tell me more about how "hate crimes" laws covering the religiously affiliated are not any cause for concern as a matter of general principle because you're "pretty sure" its covered by some part of the first Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Maybe we can achieve your desired laser-like focus on the issue under discussion by revisiting the relevance of Uganda's anti-gay laws to freedom of speech, or the how part of a statutory definition used by a UK law written in the year 2000 relates to concerns that influenced multiple amendments to the U.S. Constitution?

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 3, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LGD posted:

That makes me feel so much better about the legitimization of a category of laws that until quite recently had a history of nothing but abuses.

This sounds more like your personal interpretation of the (changing) laws has gone from them being abusive to being normal.

Can you describe the reasoning that you feel the current interpretation is 'not entirely abusive' but the previous ones were abusive?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Unintended consequences meaning...? someone else being able to use Uncle Sam as their own personal army? Your intended consequence of it being your army isn't anymore acceptable.

How does any of this cut against the point I've been making? Before the Brandenberg test, the red scare was used an excuse to sic Uncle Sam on someone's political enemies. In the present day, giving abortion regulators the benefit of the doubt means they gently caress around with abortion clinics and close many of them down. Why would any of this ever convince me to let anyone stick their fingers in the First and/or Ninth Amendment pie?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

More importantly why do you keep avoiding my question about the potential political element of calling gay people inhuman?

At this point I'm assuming it's a political convenience for you to do so since nothing else could explain your continued replies in this thread without answering a pretty simple question.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Tesseraction posted:

More importantly why do you keep avoiding my question about the potential political element of calling gay people inhuman?

Seems wasteful to start out by saying gay people are inhuman. You'd want to use a media campaign to show them as inhuman monsters, then voice support for the growing mass of people who start voicing the image you've carefully constructed.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tesseraction posted:

At this point I'm assuming it's a political convenience for you to do so since nothing else could explain your continued replies in this thread without answering a pretty simple question.

Pretty sure I did answer it.

DeusExMachinima posted:

gently caress if I know the reasoning, ask someone who believes it. I understand what it is though, even if i don't understand the "logic" behind it, and what it is is political speech. That's all I need to know about it to be satisfied that it deserves protection.

This might expand on what a political element is in my book:

DeusExMachinima posted:

Sorry, I missed this. I think you're setting the bar too high for what a political action is; they don't necessarily have to be someone getting discriminatory legal policy passed. Preaching on the street corner about how you shouldn't let you kids hang around gays is itself an example of a political protest, I'd argue. It doesn't necessarily have to translate into a discriminatory law in order to be inherently political. Personal conduct counts too.

If I missed your main thrust, rephrase it and I'll give you my best shot.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

This sounds more like your personal interpretation of the (changing) laws has gone from them being abusive to being normal.

Can you describe the reasoning that you feel the current interpretation is 'not entirely abusive' but the previous ones were abusive?

I'm not actually insane? Most implementations of hate speech laws haven't exactly resulted in overwhelming tyranny and what abuses do exist seem pretty small beans given all the other hosed up legal poo poo in most societies. On the flip side I haven't seen much indication they're really making a difference in driving social change (though that'd admittedly be quite the challenge to instrumentalize), and I genuinely am concerned about the long term consequences of such laws and the illiberal strain of 'progressive' politics behind them. I don't think the fact that nothing has gone obviously wrong yet means much for my concerns, which are longer term- the Star Chamber had a few good decades after all.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hate speech laws aren't designed to enact social change, though. That's a rather crucial element that people seem to miss.

They're not designed to be the be-all and end-all of changing people's minds, they're there so that people who have absolutely no control over the elements of themselves that other people find repugnant do not have this part of their existence that, and I stress this once more, they have absolutely no say in whatsoever, used against them.

They're not about enacting social change, they're about extending the baseline of human dignity that most people enjoy to as many people as possible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Hate speech laws aren't designed to enact social change, though. That's a rather crucial element that people seem to miss.

They're not designed to be the be-all and end-all of changing people's minds, they're there so that people who have absolutely no control over the elements of themselves that other people find repugnant do not have this part of their existence that, and I stress this once more, they have absolutely no say in whatsoever, used against them.

They're not about enacting social change, they're about extending the baseline of human dignity that most people enjoy to as many people as possible.

In a way that distinction is even more pernicious because suggesting that speech targeting persons for characteristics we have decided are not immutable is not "hate speech" means that we've decided that it's permissible to target those people for those reasons. If you can criticize a person for their religion but not their sexuality, then the government is endorsing the idea that religion is less important than sexuality.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ddraig posted:

They miss it because it's not actually true, and pretending otherwise is dishonest. Such laws are not designed to directly persuade people, but that doesn't mean they're not designed to enact social change (or, more frequently, social stasis). Minorities aren't legislatively granted dignity, the laws operate by retroactively punishing anyone found to have made statements demonstrating unacceptable opinions. Minorities are only granted protection from having to hear hostile opinions by using an implicit threat of force to cow any person or organization that bears them animus into silence. A law that declares certain thoughts unacceptable to voice (and by extension unacceptable to hold) can't have any purpose except enforcing a certain social programme.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SedanChair posted:

In a way that distinction is even more pernicious because suggesting that speech targeting persons for characteristics we have decided are not immutable is not "hate speech" means that we've decided that it's permissible to target those people for those reasons. If you can criticize a person for their religion but not their sexuality, then the government is endorsing the idea that religion is less important than sexuality.

Given that it's agreed by virtually all credible scientists, doctors and people who have actually studied it that sexuality is something that cannot be determined by the individual, no matter how hard they wish to pray away the gay, and that Religion is not it's disingenuous to conflate that 'criticism' (a lovely euphemism for the vitriol laid upon gay people, often by religious people) as being equally valid.

You still haven't really explained how American culture is supposedly the catalyst for all gay rights legislation, even those put into place decades before America decided that it was OK to be gay in public without being murdered, by the way.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Given that it's agreed by virtually all credible scientists, doctors and people who have actually studied it that sexuality is something that cannot be determined by the individual, no matter how hard they wish to pray away the gay, and that Religion is not it's disingenuous to conflate that 'criticism' (a lovely euphemism for the vitriol laid upon gay people, often by religious people) as being equally valid.

I'm not comfortable giving the government the authority to judge that scientific and medical evidence. And I still do not see why immutability makes a trait more worthy of special protection from criticism. Do you think that young Muslims do not deal with the same issues? Are they better able to deal with it than gays because hey, they can always quit being Muslims if they don't like it?

Ddraig posted:

You still haven't really explained how American culture is supposedly the catalyst for all gay rights legislation, even those put into place decades before America decided that it was OK to be gay in public without being murdered, by the way.

I'm sorry, when was it legal to murder gays?

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 3, 2015

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Je suis Charlie motherfuckers.

It's sad to see how many fellow euros voted against free speech, I hope that's just this forums nutty politics.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ddraig posted:

The problem is that you have failed to notice is that speech codes don't actually help minorities. If you look around the world, and through our history all various speech codes do is make sure that the people with power don't get mocked.

The people in charge of saying who can express a particular idea have been authoritarian assholes since at least the time of Socrates.

That's the point of freedom of speech. The freedom of speech is a subset of a freedom to think for yourself. Nobody owns your brain except you.

America has had a pretty good run with the extreme free speech absolutist run.

There are some assholes like the Westboro Baptist Church, but nobody outside that cult thinks of them as a force for good. They're just a lawsuit mill stirring poo poo up so someone will punch one of them in the face so they can sue someone.

Please point me to where prohibiting free speech actually fixed anything outside of re-education camps.

If you have to outlaw an opposing view, that just makes it look like you suck at debating, and you conceded to the opposing view.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 3, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You're absolutely right, nobody owns your brain but you. We haven't invented technology that allows people to see the deepest, innermost parts of your mind and I sincerely hope we never do.

We do not prosecute thought crime, no matter how many slippery scenarios you set up. Nobody is being arrested based on their thoughts, or prosecuted because of their dreams and if they are, I really hope that travesty of justice is rectified.

We don't even have a reliable way to figure out thought crime, or at least we wouldn't if bigots weren't the kind of arrogant, self-righteous pricks that can't help but run their mouth about the homos and the evil Jewish conspiracy. Even in those cases, the offence isn't the thought.

The distinction is there, if you care to look.

SedanChair posted:

I'm not comfortable giving the government the authority to judge that scientific and medical evidence. And I still do not see why immutability makes a trait more worthy of special protection from criticism. Do you think that young Muslims do not deal with the same issues? Are they better able to deal with it than gays because hey, they can always quit being Muslims if they don't like it?

It's not surprising you're against evidence based policy.

I'm also not certain what helpful criticism can really be levelled against gay people? I'm guessing it's not the sane, reasoned discussion that maybe, just maybe people could just stop being gay, much in the same way black people can just stop being black, they just haven't tried hard enough.

It's certainly not something that's been tried yet.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 3, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

So?

E: To be clear, the government already does this, essentially, with protected class statuses.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 3, 2015

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

AlexanderCA posted:

Je suis Charlie motherfuckers.

It's sad to see how many fellow euros voted against free speech, I hope that's just this forums nutty politics.

Pretty sure Charlie Hebdo was acquitted of hate speech the only time the issue was brought to court dude

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

thrakkorzog posted:

The problem is that you have failed to notice is that speech codes don't actually help minorities. If you look around the world, and through our history all various speech codes do is make sure that the people with power don't get mocked.

Hate speech in Germany absolutely protects minorities and allows you to mock people with power what the gently caress dude.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Je suis Le Pen may be more apt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

It's not surprising you're against evidence based policy.

If that's what you took away from that, I don't know what to tell you. The innateness of sexual orientation isn't something for the government to weigh in on.

• Locked thread