Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Ouch.
(Found while browsing babybmw idly...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the gently caress are you doing on Twitter, you are too smart for that shitfest.

Ahhh gotcha.

Tell me AI.... why am I supposed to be impressed because a female jockey managed to beat the poo poo out of a horse and forced it to exhaustion better than a bunch of male jockeys, all for the purpose of gambling and boozed up shitfucks getting off on animal cruelty? I would have thought said jockey should be hanging her loving head in shame at being part of a industry that spits out hundreds of thousands of perfectly good horses for glue and human gambling misery? Honestly, horse racing and Australia's loving obession with the Melbourne Cup is truly hosed up. Let alone constantly dodging drunk idiots all afternoon on the bike. For fucks sake how goddamn loving stupid. I'd rather have Halloween than the Cup anytime - and my opinion of Halloweeen is so low it could walk under a toilet door with stilts and a top hat.

Just absolutly loving disgusting, the whole lot of it. The fact it's just for gambling really is just the pinnicle of hosed up reasoning to flog horses. It would be slightly okay if the losing horses were slaughtered and fed to starving kids, at least there would be some marginally acceptible purpose to this insanity.

I have to bite on this one because I actually have horses including an American Thoroughbred that is a retired race horse.

Horse racing is not loving animal cruelty.

This kind of blanket statement about a sport is ignoring the absolutely massive amount of owners and trainers that are doing good by their horses. These horses are bred for and truly love to run. They're cared for better than most household pets.

I don't know how it is in Austrailia, but here in the US losing horses are absolutely NOT "turned into glue" or whatever bullshit you're spouting. There's thousands of race horse rescue programs. These horses are retired and adopted by people all over. There's huge incentives into adopting an OTTB (off the track thoroughbred) and the USEA (United States Eventing Association) is constantly touting these retired race horses as the absolute best to event with. The top riders in these other equestrian sports almost exclusively ride OTTB's.

Are there some that go to slaughter? Absolutely. But there's also a huge movement to stop that from happening including a large amount of thoroughbred breeders, owners, trainers, and jockeys.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 3, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Noise Complaint posted:

I have to bite on this one because I actually have horses including an American Thoroughbred that is a retired race horse.

Horse racing is not loving animal cruelty.

This kind of blanket statement about a sport is ignoring the absolutely massive amount of owners and trainers that are doing good by their horses. These horses are bred for and truly love to run. They're cared for better than most household pets.

I don't know how it is in Austrailia, but here in the US losing horses are absolutely NOT "turned into glue" or whatever bullshit you're spouting. There's thousands of race horse rescue programs. These horses are retired and adopted by people all over. There's huge incentives into adopting an OTTB (off the track thoroughbred) and the USEA (United States Eventing Association) is constantly touting these retired race horses as the absolute best to event with. The top riders in these other equestrian sports almost exclusively ride OTTB's.

Are there some that go to slaughter? Absolutely. But there's also a huge movement to stop that from happening including a large amount of thoroughbred breeders, owners, trainers, and jockeys.

Forget it, Jake, it's Cat Interceptor.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only reason to read the Bad With Money thread is to hear the horror stories about people who own horses. I'll try to find the "horses r dum" megapost.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

The only reason to read the Bad With Money thread is to hear the horror stories about people who own horses. I'll try to find the "horses r dum" megapost.

Good luck since the database is down

edit: jk nm i found them

quote:

Ruddha posted:
I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Ruddha posted:
Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

Ruddha posted:
I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying

Ruddha posted:
Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died

Ruddha posted:
That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I enjoyed that

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geirskogul posted:

I sit here surrounded by the carcasses of inferior automotive LED lighting. You see, finding a good set of automotive LED bulbs has been a passion of mine for many years now.

It all started with my father. My father, an electrician, is the type of person that always wears a belt, and his belt always has three things on it: a Leatherman, a shortened Swedish Nut-Fucker crescent wrench (that fits in the pouch behind the Leatherman, which is why it is shortened), and a flashlight. Ever since I've known him, and I'm sure for decades before, the flashlight of choice on my father's belt was a Mag-Lite. Nothing could surpass it in durability, in battery life, in brightness, or in focal length adjustability. The only real downside to the Mag-Lite was bulb life; every drawer in the house was sure to have a burned out xenon bulb or two stuck in the back corners.

About a decade ago, however, cheaper LED flashlights started to become available. First it was the standard 3mm LED style. The market moved and shifted and evolved through the LED array flashlights, the single LED-in-a-useless-reflector-housing, and finally to more modern COB LEDs with bespoke lenses and focusing mechanisms and housings instead of second-hand filament housings.

Through all of these changes, my father (and I, through birthday/Christmas gifts) would try out a new design. Nothing captured the durability, simplicity, and brightness of the venerable Mag-Lite for many years. Only recently, I believe, has he found a flashlight worthy of his belt.

I have gone through a similar evolution. It started when I got my first car in 2001, a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88. Because I grew up in a small town in Idaho, but had a legitimate electrician for a father, I was raised with a 50/50 Redneck Engineering/"Do it right once" mentality when it came to electrics. Couple that with a lovely, old, unbreakable car, and you have essentially given a young amateur engineer his first testbed.

The oldsmobile was the perfect platform for electronics and lighting fuckery. It was the type of car that chewed through $100 alternators every two years, so it gave young me motivation to run with as light of an electrical load as possible, lest it crap out in the middle of the Idaho mountain road at night and I have to limp it back two hours on battery alone. It had large lighting housings, which afforded plenty of room for amateur hot-snot and breadboard assemblies. It was the base model of a much more expensive platform (the "royale brougham") so it had extra wires running to the taillights and headlights for things like front and rear fogs and backup sensors, so I didn't have to do any wire monkeying to get things running most of the time.

I started off building my own turn signal and brake light assemblies with 3 and 5mm LEDs. I tried arrow patterns, overlaid grids, etc, but nothing really hit the mark. Around 2005, though, LED bulbs started becoming readily available for cheap off of ebay. At first the only things available were socket adapters going to grid arrays (still the best option for a lot of installs, like trunk or dome lights), but eventually bulbs themselves, that fit in bulb housings, started entering the market.

On every vehicle I've ever owned, I've attempted to do LED conversions on everything except for the headlamps. Headlamps have very specific beam patterns, and while a lot of "DRL" LED bulbs you can put in throw out almost enough light to drive by, I guarantee that you're blinding every other fucker on the road. Here's a short list of the vehicles I've owned (not complete) and the LED bulbs I've swapped:

1988 Oldsmobile Delta: corner marker lights, brake lights/turn signals, center cyclops brake light, front and rear fog lights, dome light, trunk light (wouldn't work at the time with the mercury trunk light switch for some reason, probably low-current LED + corrosion)

2004 Dodge Ram: Dashboard lights ("custom" enclosures with hot glue, as bespoke LED holders weren't available), rear turn signals, license plate light, front "fog" bumper lights that my mom leaves on all of the time (this is her truck now)

2009 Royal Enfield: Everything but the headlight, including the indicator bulbs. For the brake light/tail light, I use a 36-LED red dual-brightness grid, and I surrounded it with some red LED gel strip lighting in an oval. So when the lights are on, it's a dimmer red square in the housing, but when the brake is on, the red square gets bright AND a red oval ring of leds lights up, increasing not just the brightness but the size of the illuminated area. Note: a good BA9S bulb is difficult to come by, and the enfield uses 4 in the speedo, and two in the "pilot lights" on the nacelle.

1979 Honda CB650: Everything but the headlight and front turn signals. Also uses BA9S bulbs in the dash. At the time, good multidirectional LEDs weren't available for cheap, so front turn signals are still bulbs. Also simplified the flasher problem.

1972 VW Beetle: Reverse/Turn/Brake lights, front and rear. Dash lights, dome light, courtesy light installed underneath the glovebox. Note: Dash bulbs are BA7S bulbs, which have a few LED replacements, but are reverse polarity, so I had to separate the base from the LED and flip the wiring around, Very tiny and tedious, only needed four, but purchased 10, and broke 3 of them on the conversion. Used "star" bulbs for the brake lights, ended up being complete low-quality poo poo and falling apart. I have changed out every bulb on the beetle at least twice trying to find something that is both bright an durable, as some of the brighter bulbs for the cost ended up literally vibrating apart due to shoddy quality.

1973 VW Bus: Here's where things started coming together, and I spent a little more money than normal to get acceptable brightness first-try. Reverse lights are 36-LED white grid panels using an adapter, as they fit the housing perfectly and give a "bigger" light than a point-source bulb, which is important when reversing. Brake lights are "JDM Astar" bulbs, as well as the turn signals. A lot pricier than I normally go for, but for once they are bright as poo poo even in daylight. With LEDs, you definitely get what you pay for. Turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights. The dash lights have no equivalent LED replacement, but I will probably put in some LED strip lighting for that later.

tl;dr Until very recently, and I mean like 2012-recently, every single LED replacement bulb you could purchase for under $30 was a piece of poo poo. Trust me on this, I've been through the song and dance before. Even now you really need to step up with a lot of them. For interior / dome lighting, I go to superbrightleds.com and look up what styles of bulbs are available, as they have good listings with size measurements and lengths and stuff for things like festoon bulbs. Then I go to ebay and buy the cheapest one available in the same style that ships from the US. I know when I get them from the US that they're still Chinese made, and I'm okay with that. But US sellers both get the item to you a little faster, and tend to be a tiny bit more picky with stock quality, so the chance of getting duds is 1/20th that of buying direct.

:stare:

Dang. Didn't expect this much of a response, but thank you. So the JDM Astars seem to be decent so far? I planned on getting a conversion "array" for both the front parking lights and the brake lights and then just picking up bulbs for marker lights, reverse lights, and interior bulbs (dome and glovebox). I'm not too concerned about dash lighting as the instruments will be getting replaced anyway.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Horses are no dumber than having an obsession with cars.

I'm marrying a girl who sold me on the horse thing. She encourages me to buy dumb vehicles and she has her own hobby so I can do my own poo poo. I even have an excuse to own big dumb trucks and buy more property so I can buy even more internal combustion engine powered toys.

They're not fragile either, that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I love horses and think they're awesome creatures, but I remember a friend's horse in australia having heart attack when a rabbit ran from one bush to another in front of it

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I know one horse that was afraid of plastic bags. Another freaked the gently caress out when it heard the rubber on wet glass sound of the window cleaner's squeegee.

...and they used to ask why I didn't want to ride one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

Yeah but where do you even buy swaybars for a horse?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Horses do have superior German adhesives, though.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

They're a prey animal and need to be treated as such. It's pretty easy to acclimate a horse to scary things. That's all on the owners of the horse for not training them.

That's like blaming an ill-behaved dog on the fact that it's a dog and not putting the responsibility on the owner to train the animal properly.

How do you think people used to ride the drat things into combat?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Poorly.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Noise Complaint posted:

How do you think people used to ride the drat things into combat?

Based on how people used to (and still do) train dogs, I would say that the horses were probably more terrified of the repercussions of disobeying their rider than they were afraid of running headlong into another horse, but I'll admit that I don't really know

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'll go with "not for very long"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Student loans fully paid off, it's been 5 years since I left school. Feelin' good, that's just extra money in my pocket every month now. Next up: my wife's loans and her car. Car comes last because it's got the lowest interest rate.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Based on how people used to (and still do) train dogs, I would say that the horses were probably more terrified of the repercussions of disobeying their rider than they were afraid of running headlong into another horse, but I'll admit that I don't really know

I'm not really any kind of historical expert or anything, but I do know that nowadays people still do competitive shooting from horseback and those horses are trained with fireworks and other loud noises and a lot of treats.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

Horses: 1 horse power
Cars: more than one horse power

Cars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> horses

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'd be really keen to see the actual power output of the average horse nowadays, not just what James Watt figured.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I drive a car with a horse on it. I don't like horses but I like my car.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

You can drink beers while operating a horse.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Well you can if you don't have a drivers licence. But if you do have a vehicle drivers licence, it's still a DUI on your licence if you are arrested for drinking.

Horses are the main reason why proto-indo-europeans/Caucasians came to rule the world.
That said, we dumped them as soon as an alternative came up.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cage posted:

I drive a car with a horse on it. I don't like horses but I like my car.
Same.

I got yelled at in the bike thread the other day for saying blasting up a hill with 435hp is more fun than the same hill on pedals. :/

But it is!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Noise Complaint posted:

You can drink beers while operating a horse.

Counts as a vehicle; no you can't. (you can also get a dui on a bicycle)

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Sure you can. You're not limited to roads and you don't have the same restrictions as an off-road vehicle. Don't ride on a road while you're drinking.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Phone posted:

Counts as a vehicle; no you can't. (you can also get a dui on a bicycle)

And dear god, don't get caught going off-road and getting stuck with one. Then it's a $50k hazardous tow bill!.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Horses are a great way to pick up chicks to be honest.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ssjonizuka posted:

And dear god, don't get caught going off-road and getting stuck with one. Then it's a $50k hazardous tow bill!.

Artist's rendition

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

Horses are a great way to pick up chicks to be honest.

Yeah, but then you're dating a horse chick and they're loving crazier than poo poo.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, but then you're dating a horse chick and they're loving crazier than poo poo.

I never said you'd pick up a sane one doing it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Girls say the same thing about car guys hth

To be quite honest, there's no better match then a car guy and a horse chick.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I'd be really keen to see the actual power output of the average horse nowadays, not just what James Watt figured.

How many horses you got? That's how much horse power you have.

You got a 3 legged horse? You have 3/4 horse power. Or a few violin bows, some tasty steaks and some glue.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So i have an interview with a company and they sent me a quiz to do before they schedule the interview

the entire thing is on GitHub, lol

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Listen, guys, horses are like cars. You just don't get "the scene"

STANCE NATION

#HELLAFLUSH

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Siochain posted:

Listen, guys, horses are like cars. You just don't get "the scene"

STANCE NATION

#HELLAFLUSH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyL0HdXPuc

ROLLIN' COAL

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Haven't I told you fools it's pointless to run without a cat? You don't loose any power worth mentioning, and then it doesn't smell like rear end...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Student loans fully paid off, it's been 5 years since I left school. Feelin' good, that's just extra money in my pocket every month now. Next up: my wife's loans and her car. Car comes last because it's got the lowest interest rate.
Grats, dude, that must feel great. The number following the dollar sign on my student loan bills just got bigger so I can't wait to be where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Pham Nuwen posted:

Congrats! Paying off my student loans was loving incredible. Now I've replaced them with other payments, but, at least they're gone. I think the wife and I are going to crunch for a year and get the one car payment off, then work on the other. Onterrible's used car market sucks, so we had to go well over budget to get anything that wasn't already rusted to hell.

• Locked thread