Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Depleted Bournemouth side implies that were good enough at the start. They were likely going down from the start, their defending is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ungratek posted:

Depleted Bournemouth side implies that were good enough at the start. They were likely going down from the start, their defending is awful

Maybe. But losing Mings and, especially, Wilson would have helped them beat the other poo poo teams- which is probably what it will come down to. I'd also back Howe to bring in smarter signings than Villa and Sunderland will given both of their recent records.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I think people are discounting Bournemouth too soon. On paper they are the league's weakest side, but I watched them against Southhampton who are legitimately good, and they outplayed them in the second half. They're bad, but not Chelsea bad.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

corpuscollossus posted:

I think people are discounting Bournemouth too soon. On paper they are the league's weakest side, but I watched them against Southhampton who are legitimately good, and they outplayed them in the second half. They're bad, but not Chelsea bad.

They'll have quite a few games where they outplay sides and don't score any goals, that's the problem.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I think Villa will be okay. Lerner has the resources to buy in january and if he really means to sell the club he can't afford relegation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

straight up brolic posted:

Incorrect. We have good players, we were just being managed by an even bigger plonker than McClaren.

You're mistaking poor results for poor quality. Sherwood didn't leverage the strengths of our players at all.

villa have a few good players but most of them are really poo poo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bournemouth's midfield is better than Villa's.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

euroboy posted:

I think Villa will be okay. Lerner has the resources to buy in january and if he really means to sell the club he can't afford relegation.

would love a Bent level panic transfer

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I wanted villa to go down under sherwood and now either they'll survive which is boring or they'll get relegated under someone else and sherwood won't get the blame

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

chuggo is BACK posted:

I wanted villa to go down under sherwood and now either they'll survive which is boring or they'll get relegated under someone else and sherwood won't get the blame

Newcastle and Sunderland will both be really funny to see get relegated but I really can't decide who I want the third team to be, Sherwood's Villa would have been it but now there's no funny third option

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Newcastle and Sunderland will both be really funny to see get relegated but I really can't decide who I want the third team to be

Swansea

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Surely Newcastle have to go down, which is what we all want. McLaren is the worst manager in the league and the owners a moron. The players are quite good however. Janmaat, Ayoze...those are the main ones.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Bogan Krkic posted:

Newcastle and Sunderland will both be really funny to see get relegated but I really can't decide who I want the third team to be, Sherwood's Villa would have been it but now there's no funny third option

idk imagine how smug allardyce would be if Newcastle went down while he kept Sunderland up, that would own. At least villa are a big club so it would still be a bit funny

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Allardyce not keeping Sunderland up would be funnier given how much he rates himself.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ninpo posted:

Allardyce not keeping Sunderland up would be funnier given how much he rates himself.

This! The excuses and floundering and everything would be magnificent, plus Sunderland aren't a very likable team anyway

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Villa actually have a fairly capable team and a few decent players, it's just suffered from inconsistent tactics and a poo poo manager so far this season (dropping Amavi for Richardson), and I've never seen confidence so low in 20 years of supporting them. The effects of being managed by McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood are going to linger for a while.

Remi Garde has brought Duverne back as a fitness coach which is great, because he called Gabby (and a few others) out on being a lazy poo poo footballer when he was here with Houllier 5 years ago.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Hello is this the Aston Villa and Manchester United managerial tactics thread?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Villa weren't helped by having pretty much all their best players sold in the summer. It's baffling that people are surprised Tactics Tim couldn't get a tune out of almost a brand new squad when a much better Villa team were in a relegation fight last season.

Sherwood is of course a massive clown who has a far too big opinion of himself given that he's been a manager for about five minutes and says bizarre things in interviews and refers to himself in the third person a lot.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Chelsea

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Bogan Krkic posted:

This! The excuses and floundering and everything would be magnificent, plus Sunderland aren't a very likable team anyway

he wouldn't need any excuses, everyone will just say it was an impossible job (I'm not saying that's right btw). Just imagine him finishing above Newcastle by less than three points having won the derby he'd be insufferable lmao

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
The north east could bum the championship next year

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

chuggo is BACK posted:

The north east could bum the championship next year

Yeah but then they'd get bummed by the south the season after.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah but then they'd get bummed by the south the season after.

in league one haha

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Where's Ron Vlaar how come he's still without a club?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ninpo posted:

Villa weren't helped by having pretty much all their best players sold in the summer. It's baffling that people are surprised Tactics Tim couldn't get a tune out of almost a brand new squad when a much better Villa team were in a relegation fight last season.

Sherwood is of course a massive clown who has a far too big opinion of himself given that he's been a manager for about five minutes and says bizarre things in interviews and refers to himself in the third person a lot.
Benteke and Delph were better than the players we have now, but the average quality of the team is much higher

euroboy posted:

Where's Ron Vlaar how come he's still without a club?

he's injured and he was never very good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Frankston posted:

Villa actually have a fairly capable team and a few decent players

This makes them the 19th best squad in the league.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I hope Swansea go down so I never have to read another Sassasin post outside of the Dating megathread

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
He's not terribly fit abd mls teams aren't interested in defenders due to the draft system

e. Ron Vlaar I mean

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Big Taff Man posted:

I hope Swansea go down so I never have to read another Sassasin post outside of the Dating megathread

Does your missus know you're reading the dating thread?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Blue Star Error posted:

The only Villa players that would get in Norwich's team are Richards and Okore (even though I've never been impressed with him I'm not sure he can be worse than Martin is atm). Maybe Lescott too depending on how old and knackered he is these days.

Okore is actually real good. Physically very strong, but he still needs an experienced CB besides him or he can get in trouble.

The fact that Pulis let Lescott go without a fight should tell you how bad he is now.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

MrBling posted:

The fact that Pulis let Lescott go without a fight should tell you how bad he is now.

I thought this. At first I was gutted we let him go because he looked decent in the first few games. But if you're prepared to let him go to your biggest local rival and probably to a team that will be a rival in terms of premier league position for nothing then he cant have been that good and he's not exactly been great at Villa.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Ninpo posted:

refers to himself in the third person a lot.

He's no Steve Evans

quote:

Meanwhile: Steve Evans’s week one press conference highlights. Evans on morale: “I think the players saw a corner turned when Steve Evans walked in”; On his work ethic: “When Steve Evans asks players to be brave, I want them on the ball”; On his vision: “I’m a realist. Steve Evans doesn’t lie in bed and dream”; And on a fake Steve Evans quote circulating on Twitter: “What a scandalous, horrible thing to attribute to Steve Evans.”

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking about mentile managers, is Ian Holloway still managing? I miss him in the Prem

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Twat le Piss posted:

Speaking about mentile managers, is Ian Holloway still managing? I miss him in the Prem

Are you mentile, I hate Holloway

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Big Sam is the only interesting thing about Sunderland. That and they've got a paedo playing for them.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/661919801997189120

Grealish now wants to play for Ireland??

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

He read my post in the match day thread.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Haha what a little poo poo. Ireland should tell him to gently caress off

E; it's for his England change upon further inspection

He's still a bellend though

TwoDogs1Cup fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 4, 2015

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Twat le Piss posted:

He got Millwall relegated last season by being a bad manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Bellerin is injured? Jesus. Maybe that's why he looked a big poo poo this weekend.

Just let the doctors shoot those dudes full of steroids Wenger you stubborn old oval office.

• Locked thread