Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I didn't watch the episode. Instead I watched Donna episodes, because she was the best companion.

Also, most of the first season of The X-Files. And some Supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The kiddo, who just watched this week's episode - "I didn't get most of the political stuff, so it went right over my head. And the Zygons looked cool."

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rewatching this episode... honestly, I really liked it. This is some drat good Doctor Who.

The message was way more blatantly pro-multiculturalism than I first remembered. I honestly had a hard time imagining any other sort of interpritation. I was trying to explain to the people I was watching with that a lot of folks on the internet thought it was super racist... and I was honestly trying to explain why people thought that (because a lot of folks here I really respect found it racist/xenophobic) and was having a hard time finding evidence in the episode.

Like at one point they're wondering about "truth and consequences" and Kate Stewart dismisses it out of hand as ideological rubbish... and then she's immediately shown up when it turns out that actually thinking about that phrase gives them a solid lead. Her brash militaristic us-vs-them attitude is immediately shown up by someone actually thinking about what the other side might mean.

That's the tone of the whole episode. People are continually being knee-jerky and militaristic, and in every instance they're proven to be wrong.

And I think the sticking point for some people may be that it goes one further. It tries to trick the audience into going along with the paranoia and militarism before pulling back the curtains.

The Zygon on the plane says through gnashing teeth that it demands... the world! But then next scene we see with it, it goes on to clarify that what they really want is a world in which to live openly as themselves. The emotional arc goes from "Horrors, look at this monster!" to "Wait, that... sounds pretty reasonable" in basically a single statement (interrupted by another scene for dramatic effect).

Same arc in New Mexico- we're shown the carnage that the Zygons caused, all those who died in the conflict and we're rightly horrified! Those literal monsters! But by the end of that subplot we learn that the conflict began when humans attacked a Zygon child. What happened remains tragic, but we have completely recontextualized those "literal monsters" from moments ago as scared children.

Because of the nature of the dramatic cliffhanger, we didn't end up by driving that point home yet. The Zygons are in control, and so they have to still look like bad guys on some level for there to be tension. But honestly... the Zygons haven't been any more violent than the Humans have tried to be. The Zygons honestly just don't have a Doctor on their side to hold them back.

I cannot fully address the potential real world harm that presenting these ideas (even to tear them down) might cause. I think that's a legitimate concern, and I'm not qualified to say how harmful or not this episode is in that respect. But from my perspective at least, it was a fantastic episode with a really beautiful message.

The hero here is Osgood. The embodiment of good is still coexisting. And honestly, that could be a really trite hollow message. "Let's all get along" is a message we're told from kindergarten. But it the more its tested, the more people abandon idealistic coexistence to "pragmatically" fight the enemy, the more it means to truly uphold that ideal. Osgood still embodies that good, even in this dark and hostile world. I'm going to be rooting for her and the Doctor to triumph over fear and violence with hope and reconciliation next episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't see last years X-mas special, and seriously, did someone on the crew write that Christmas song that in every special?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Thank you. This is a very good post and the points you expound on definitely enlightened me on how someone would view The Zygon Invasion as a solid episode. I still see the script as "muddled and unclear in its message" but can see now how "open ended" it could be to a viewer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Thank you. This is a very good post and the points you expound on definitely enlightened me on how someone would view The Zygon Invasion as a solid episode. I still see the script as "muddled and unclear in its message" but can see now how "open ended" it could be to a viewer.

I still disagree. The problem is that it went from zero to KILL ALL THE HUMANS even with that "we just want to be ourselves" declaration. There are plenty of better ways it could've been written than "they killed a Zygon child by accident, SO WE KILLED THE ENTIRE TOWN! :black101:."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's a horror movie called Alien? That's very offensive, no wonder every one is always invading you.

That's pretty funny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's a very interesting position on the episode, Eiba, I appreciate you verbalizing it like that.

I think I'm going to watch the episode again before the second part airs, because once that has aired it's pretty much going to recontextualize part 1 for good or bad. As I said earlier in the thread, no matter how good it might be it still won't excuse part 1 for being bad - but I would like to view it again with some of these different interpretations in mind, and see if the other (and I think more pressing) issues I noted in regards to the poor structure and characterization were actually a kneejerk reaction to not liking the clumsy and frankly still rather inappropriate use of the familiar ISIS/terrorist imagery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

you goddamn fool rory was only ever a robot in pandorica opens/big bang. that timeline got wiped, that's why the hand gun never came up again. rory just got auton!rory's memories, not his body.

God I wanted that to happen so bad just to see Rory flip the gently caress out.

cargohills posted:

Everybody I know personally thought this episode was alright. :shrug:

Run. Everyone you know has been replaced by Zygons.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Eiba posted:

drat good Doctor Who.

Well, we've got a Zygon in our midst folks. You know what to do. Get your guns, face him down, then let him kill you because he turned into your momma.

But yeah, to sum up briefly why I think it was xenophobic at best and racist at worst: We saw a blatant alllusion to the Zygons as terrorists and ISIS in particular, we never saw the supposed Zygon majority's point of view beyond watching an apparently ineffectual leadership get killed, and what we did see throughout was generally poorly written so even if it wasn't meant to create that impression, no real effort was made to avoid it.

Of all of the above, not seeing the peaceful majority is the biggest issue for me by far. Even 24 had some episodes where you'd see a downright nice Muslim family help Jack, or Jack torture someone who turned out to be innocent and see that torture isn't always ideal, and this was from a show made shortly after 9/11 when everyone was like hell yeah, torture all the dudes :black101:.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Run. Everyone you know has been replaced by Zygons.

Even me?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Did you like the episode?

I think it's a fair assumption that if you enjoyed the most recent episode then you are indeed a Zygon. That goes for everyone in this thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't see last years X-mas special, and seriously, did someone on the crew write that Christmas song that in every special?

...what song?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

...what song?

The Doctor Who theme, those hacks

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

...what song?

There's this Christmas song that is played in every Xmas special, its like this brit pop Christmas song. Maybe its famous over there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

twistedmentat posted:

There's this Christmas song that is played in every Xmas special, its like this brit pop Christmas song. Maybe its famous over there.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh yeah, Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody is a national treasure, and will be played every year in Britain until they ban either music or Christmas. For me personally, it's not the Christmas season until I hear it on the radio. Sooo... any day now, really.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody is a national treasure, and will be played every year in Britain until they ban either music or Christmas. For me personally, it's not the Christmas season until I hear it on the radio. Sooo... any day now, really.

Believe it or not, this song has failed to be in the US top ten charts - EVER!

This, really, tells you all you need to know about American culture. And possibly British culture.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

For me personally, it's not the Christmas season until I hear it on the radio. Sooo... any day now, really.

It's when you go into a shopping centre or a supermarket and they're playing it over their PA for me.

I prefer "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day" by Wizzard, myself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I prefer "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day" by Wizzard, myself.

This is the basis of Civil War, you know.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Fairytale of New York is better

Its both a Christmas song, and a good song. That's supposed to be impossible to do!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wolfechu posted:

Believe it or not, this song has failed to be in the US top ten charts - EVER!

This, really, tells you all you need to know about American culture. And possibly British culture.

Still, at least America has that loving Christmas Shoes song!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

This is the basis of Civil War, you know.

There were a lot of glam rock Christmas singles in the 1970s. "Lonely This Christmas" by Mud, "Step Into Christmas" by Elton John, the aforementioned "Merry Xmas Everybody" and "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day" by Slade and Wizzard respectively. Probably lots of others I don't know about. Gary Glitter had one in the mid-1980s ("Another Rock & Roll Christmas").

The best Christmas single of all, of course, requires no introduction.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There were a lot of glam rock Christmas singles in the 1970s. "Lonely This Christmas" by Mud, "Step Into Christmas" by Elton John, the aforementioned "Merry Xmas Everybody" and "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day" by Slade and Wizzard respectively. Probably lots of others I don't know about. Gary Glitter had one in the mid-1980s ("Another Rock & Roll Christmas").

The best Christmas single of all, of course, requires no introduction.

You are forgetting something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqBF7TiyATo

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 5, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was never really into Bo Selecta. :shrug:

(Disclaimer: I am not Craig David.)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Here in the colonies, it’s Christmas as 12:01 am, 1 November. The Halloween music stations all switch to Christmas music (we have both kinds, classic AND contemporary), the decorations go up in the major stores, ABC Family starts their holiday film rotation, and my wife and I have our yearly argument about whether or not to show the kiddo the best Christmas movie ever – Die Hard.

To my wife, Christmas is A Muppet Christmas Carol, It’s A Wonderful Life and Love Actually.

To me, it’s Black Christmas, The Ref, and this scratched up episode of Doctor Who I found in an old film can in my grandfather’s garage. The Feast of Seven or something?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Remember Amy's clock glitching out and showing a weird time?

The Doctor Who Twitter account just posted a screenshot of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I don't think Australia really has any favorite Christmas tunes, at least not that pervade the airwaves like I hear from the UK and US. It's probably a symptom of not having the 'traditional' Christmas setting to enjoy songs about, combined with the fact that none of the four Australian artists that are played with any regularity have Christmas songs either. Stuff like Do They Know It's Christmas gradually gets played more and more over December, but that's about it. It's an upside of living in Australia, but we make up for it by being really obnoxious around the nationalist holidays.

I'm always a little surprised we haven't gone harder on Halloween than we do, that seems like the sort of event Australians would enjoy and we don't really have any holidays around that point to fill the gap. The Melbourne Cup, I guess, but that's only one day.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 5, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I don't think Australia really has any favorite Christmas tunes, at least not that pervade the airwaves like I hear from the UK and US. It's probably a symptom of not having the 'traditional' Christmas setting to enjoy songs about, combined with the fact that none of the four Australian artists that are played with any regularity have Christmas songs either. Stuff like Do They Know It's Christmas gradually gets played more and more over December, but that's about it. It's an upside of living in Australia, but we make up for it by being really obnoxious around the nationalist holidays.

I'm always a little surprised we haven't gone harder on Halloween than we do, that seems like the sort of event Australians would enjoy and we don't really have any holidays around that point to fill the gap. The Melbourne Cup, I guess, but that's only one day.

Halloween's never really been a thing here, no matter how hard people and companies have tried to push it (which they really haven't all that much beyond a token display of candies in department stores). There's no local culture behind it like the Melbourne Cup, even if that's just a public holiday and betting on the horses. The closest you probably get is private get-togethers to get shitfaced and maybe watch some horror films.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Rob Schrab mentioned on the Harmontown podcast that the BBC wants him to put one of their properties into the sequel to the Lego Movie, which narrows it down to either Doctor Who or Broadchurch, I suppose.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rochallor posted:

Rob Schrab mentioned on the Harmontown podcast that the BBC wants him to put one of their properties into the sequel to the Lego Movie, which narrows it down to either Doctor Who or Broadchurch, I suppose.

Moondial. My money's on Moondial.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Broadchurch is from ITV, not the BBC. It's clearly Saturday night hospital series, Casualty.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rochallor posted:

Sherlock.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Rob Schrab is also a notoriously big fan of Doctor Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Rob Schrab is also a notoriously big fan of Doctor Who.

and Songs of Praise.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rochallor posted:

Luther?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Newsnight

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

and Songs of Praise.

Peter Capaldi in line to reprise the role of Tristram Campbell.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rochallor posted:

The phrase "Lego Broadchurch" makes me irrationally happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
nice to see the daily politics getting the recognition that it deserves

• Locked thread