Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

As long as you have a router supports UPnP so it can open ports it works pretty well. I use it daily to interact my headless Mac Mini at home from work.
Yeah Back to My Mac works really well as long as you have compatible network equipment and the ports aren't locked down. My AEBS at home has never given me any grief on connecting to my home iMac, but I can have issues depending on the hotspot I'm connecting from with my MBP. For example, our IT department at work heavily restricts ports and protocols and I believe that killed Back to My Mac. I'd have to resort to something that goes over HTTP like LogMeIn I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Xabi posted:

So, no easy solution unless I wanna pay 80 dollars? Great.

edit: Sorry, skimmed past Back to my Mac. Seems like it would fit the bill perfectly.

edit2: No, I need two Macs for that. I use a Windows PC at work.
I find NoMachine pretty painless to set up, and it works fine with any combination of Mac / Windows / Linux.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Xabi posted:

edit: Sorry, skimmed past Back to my Mac. Seems like it would fit the bill perfectly.

It depends on what you define as an "easy solution". You can make VNC over SSH work using free software. Everything you need on the Mac is already there, and on the Windows side just install putty plus your choice of VNC viewer.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Xabi posted:

Teamviewer has clients for Windows and Mac, requires no router setup, and has two factor authentication for extra security.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I use Google Remote Desktop to access my mac at work. Pretty painless.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Last Chance posted:

Oh, it seems you're running beta software. That's probably the issue.

This is true but since it seems like more of a portent than a bug, I am left wondering why they are changing decades old perfectly fine behavior in a minor point release.

Edit: VV I have now

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 4, 2015

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

The Milkman posted:

This is true but since it seems like more of a portent than a bug, I am left wondering why they are changing decades old perfectly fine behavior in a minor point release.

Have you submitted a bug report?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's the best ad blocker for Safari these days?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

uBlock seems pretty popular and cool and good

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

uBlock Origin *

edit: oh poo poo there's no port. well, guess you're hosed

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have firsthand experience running 10.11 on a 2009 13" MBP? My buddy is giving me his since I want something that can run Garage Band and will live next to my keyboard so I don't have to keep moving my 2013 rMBP.

Going to bump the thing up to 8GB ram and throw an SSD in there so hopefully the only bottleneck should be the CPU/video

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Runs fine on my 2010 13-inch but I already have 8GB/SSD and would recommend both.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also runs fine on a Late 2010 MacBook Air with 4 GB RAM.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pivo posted:

uBlock Origin *

edit: oh poo poo there's no port. well, guess you're hosed

Yeah Safari is stuck with regular uBlock with pretty much no updates coming. That said, it still works and filters will still update.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Milkman posted:

Yeah Safari is stuck with regular uBlock with pretty much no updates coming. That said, it still works and filters will still update.
He's going to release Purify for OS X using Safari's new content blocker extensions. I'm curious if that'll help or hinder performance.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Has anyone had issues with installing the 10.11.1 patch? I've got a mid-2012 Macbook Pro running El Cap and wasn't able to get the upgrade to work via the App Store. After downloading the patch from Apple, the installer gets to the point where the system tries to reboot, but hangs from there. It seems like Finder doesn't shutdown correctly, or hangs, and interrupts the patch process. Trying to relaunch Finder doesn't work either, and it remains stuck in the "application not responding" state. I've let the machine sit trying to reboot but it is never actually able to proceed, and trying to reboot via the Apple menu doesn't do anything either.

I am able to reboot via the terminal (or just do a hard shutdown) but the upgrade process doesn't kick off and instead I'm just booted back into OSX. Any ideas?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

robodex posted:

I use Google Remote Desktop to access my mac at work. Pretty painless.

I also use Chrome Remote Desktop (assuming that's what you meant) and it works well. Be aware that you will need install rights even though it's pretending to be a browser addin.

VNC is unusable slow.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have firsthand experience running 10.11 on a 2009 13" MBP? My buddy is giving me his since I want something that can run Garage Band and will live next to my keyboard so I don't have to keep moving my 2013 rMBP.

Going to bump the thing up to 8GB ram and throw an SSD in there so hopefully the only bottleneck should be the CPU/video

My wife's computer is the same, and from what she says, it runs just as well as Yosemite and Mavericks did (8GB of RAM, but regular HDD). She only uses Safari and occasionally Pages, so don't know about GarageBand, but I'm sure it's not gonna be worse with El Cap than anything else.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

uBlock seems pretty popular and cool and good

Can't recommend this now, as it's stopped blocking video ads on Youtube for me. Seems with uBlock (not Origin), almost every monetized video on Youtube has either an unskippable 30 second commercial, or in the case of one video, an unskippable 2m30s trailer for yet another Tomb Raider game.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

kuroshi posted:

Can't recommend this now, as it's stopped blocking video ads on Youtube for me. Seems with uBlock (not Origin), almost every monetized video on Youtube has either an unskippable 30 second commercial, or in the case of one video, an unskippable 2m30s trailer for yet another Tomb Raider game.

At least in my experience, ever since the YouTube Red launch, YouTube ads have become completely ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if Google has figured out a way to get around adblock programs for YouTube, and it just happened to start as soon as the new Red service launched. Just speculation from someone who knows nothing about how any of this works.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

E:double post

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 5, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kuroshi posted:

uBlock blocks youtube ads on safari just fine so it's something on your end.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I thought I remember reading that Safari doesn't allow extensions to interfere with network traffic of plugins, like the APIs just aren't there, and that's the reason ABP couldn't block ads in Flash Player. It should be able to with the HTML5 player though.

That was my biggest annoyance back when I tried switching to Safari. Everything else worked, but I couldn't get rid of ads in Flash videos, and I tried eeeeeverything.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Andrast posted:

Works fine for me as well. I've tried a few of the other options based on the new content blocking, Adamant and I think Wipr but they didn't work as well and they didn't give as much control over blocking as uBlock does. Hopefully there will be better options in the future before there's a Safari update that breaks uBlock.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pivo posted:

I thought I remember reading that Safari doesn't allow extensions to interfere with network traffic of plugins, like the APIs just aren't there, and that's the reason ABP couldn't block ads in Flash Player. It should be able to with the HTML5 player though.

That was my biggest annoyance back when I tried switching to Safari. Everything else worked, but I couldn't get rid of ads in Flash videos, and I tried eeeeeverything.

Uninstalling flash gets rid of ads in flash videos.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

~Coxy posted:

I also use Chrome Remote Desktop (assuming that's what you meant) and it works well. Be aware that you will need install rights even though it's pretending to be a browser addin.

VNC is unusable slow.

Yeah, sorry, I mean Chrome Remote Desktop. The only issue I have is there's no real way to increase the quality on it so there's a ton of artefacting.

I also use it at home if I'm lazy and on my Windows PC, kinda like a ghetto KVM. My Mini is mostly just a surf-the-net-and-Plex-Server so if I'm going to start a download it's just easier to remote in than futz with plugging in my keyboard/mouse to my mac.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Andrast posted:

uBlock makes absolutely no difference for Youtube here, be it with the HTML5 or the Flash player. I wouldn't be surprised if it depends on location — that the block lists include some CNDs and mirrors, but not all of them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I have two questions involving Macs people here might be able to help with.

The first is in iTunes (on multiple Macs on my network) every time I try to download a software update, the update button goes gray, their is a spinning icon near the top of iTunes, and the update never begins to download. Could this be because nobody has installed the new version of the OS or is it possibly a network issue?

The other is on my mother's computer in the keychain folder in the library folder, there are more than 2 files (all the other Macs I've looked into this folder have 2 files and an additional folder.) The extra files are names breadcrumbidentifier, login_renamed_1.keychain, and one that's name seems to be a bunch of random letters numbers and dashes. Does is this normal or should I be doing something to fix this somehow?

Thanks for any help!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tippis posted:

uBlock makes absolutely no difference for Youtube here, be it with the HTML5 or the Flash player. I wouldn't be surprised if it depends on location — that the block lists include some CNDs and mirrors, but not all of them.

If that's the case then changing the adblock wouldn't make a difference anyway since you can already choose what block lists you use with uBlock.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I find JavaScript Blocker preferable to uBlock on Safari. (I use uBlock Origin for Chrome like everyone else)

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I need to run MS project for school starting next week, so I just picked up copy of windows. Right now I only care about running MS project and it's the only piece of software I want to run. I'm planning to pick up either VMware Fusion or Parallels (not sure which yet).

How can I minimize the space required to do this? Ideally, I'd love to just run this off an external drive or maybe a thumbdrive. Is that possible?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Haggins posted:

I need to run MS project for school starting next week, so I just picked up copy of windows. Right now I only care about running MS project and it's the only piece of software I want to run. I'm planning to pick up either VMware Fusion or Parallels (not sure which yet).

How can I minimize the space required to do this? Ideally, I'd love to just run this off an external drive or maybe a thumbdrive. Is that possible?

You can't boot native Windows easily from an external drive on a Mac, but putting a VM image on an external drive shouldn't be an issue. I mean I'm 99% sure I've done it before. It might be slow, though, get something fast or IO is going to suck. Give it lots of RAM so there's no need to page. You should be fine. Running Windows in a VM on top of OS X is a resource hog so your computer won't be that happy, so bring your charger to class.

As for minimizing the space, I think both of the virtualization products you mentioned offer the option of creating a virtual disk that grows with your usage.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 6, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

You can't boot native Windows easily from an external drive on a Mac, but putting a VM image on an external drive shouldn't be an issue. I mean I'm 99% sure I've done it before. It might be slow, though, get something fast or IO is going to suck. Give it lots of RAM so there's no need to page. You should be fine. Running Windows in a VM on top of OS X is a resource hog so your computer won't be that happy, so bring your charger to class.

As for minimizing the space, I think both of the virtualization products you mentioned offer the option of creating a virtual disk that grows with your usage.

If you put the VM on something like the Samsung T1 with a USB3 connection, the VMs are pretty drat snappy.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Haggins posted:

How long is the project duration? If a month or less, signup for a trial Azure account and run Project on a Windows VM in ~the cloud~ connected by Remote Desktop.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

How long is the project duration? If a month or less, signup for a trial Azure account and run Project on a Windows VM in ~the cloud~ connected by Remote Desktop.

I'm actually getting my masters in project management so I'm sure I'll be needing it for awhile. Though, you may be on to something. I have a iMac at home with enough space to spare. Then again I'm probably not going to be hurting too bad on the MBP since I got a 512 and most of my big files are gonna live on the iMac.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 6, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Am I stupid or is iMovie the most confusing and bug-ridden piece of poo poo ever? It's crashed on me 4 times (pinwheel), hosed my libraries up, and half the options to do anything are always grayed out.

Edit: gently caress. Now half my movie is gone after I had to reboot and open my project again.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Am I stupid or is iMovie the most confusing and bug-ridden piece of poo poo ever?

Gonna be an unpopular opinion but like, just pirate Final Cut.

Or buy it. I pirated it to help with a friend's project then I just bought it because why not.

It works. iMovie is a horrendous bag of dicks and you're a moron for using it.

is what I would say if I were an unfriendly person. But really, iMovie is trash. FCPX is... well, it is what it is, but at least it's useable. Have fun. Or just buy into Adobe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

Gonna be an unpopular opinion but like, just pirate Final Cut.

Or buy it. I pirated it to help with a friend's project then I just bought it because why not.

It works. iMovie is a horrendous bag of dicks and you're a moron for using it.

is what I would say if I were an unfriendly person. But really, iMovie is trash. FCPX is... well, it is what it is, but at least it's useable. Have fun. Or just buy into Adobe.

I just want to put a couple clips from my phone together and upload it to loving YouTube. I'll just stick to iMovie on the phone I guess. loving piece of poo poo software and Capitan is loving buggy and the iPhone 6S/iOS9 is trash god I'm so pissed bring back steve jobs I'm just going to go to bed

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah well I bought into Aperture, look where that got me.

Creative types really get the worst software, don't they?

Good luck ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Had the thought to clear the PRAM, that did the trick for whatever reason. Updated installed no problem after that.

qutius posted:

Has anyone had issues with installing the 10.11.1 patch? I've got a mid-2012 Macbook Pro running El Cap and wasn't able to get the upgrade to work via the App Store. After downloading the patch from Apple, the installer gets to the point where the system tries to reboot, but hangs from there. It seems like Finder doesn't shutdown correctly, or hangs, and interrupts the patch process. Trying to relaunch Finder doesn't work either, and it remains stuck in the "application not responding" state. I've let the machine sit trying to reboot but it is never actually able to proceed, and trying to reboot via the Apple menu doesn't do anything either.

I am able to reboot via the terminal (or just do a hard shutdown) but the upgrade process doesn't kick off and instead I'm just booted back into OSX. Any ideas?