Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Diploid posted:

Wanted to add this, even though I'm late.

With that being said, I'm a little disappointed that, instead of the restart->black screen thing, there isn't the opportunity to fight Chara.

"Who said you were in control?"

Like the whole "SAVE someone else" thing only except your friends you save Everyone. This complete with an even harder fight than Sans'. As the fight goes on, you free more Monster souls (starting from your 106 kills) and the fight gets just a little easier until he's a shadow of his former self. You win, not a good ending but a chance to reset. You give up... black screen as normal.

I AM DETERMINATION. AWAY FROM ME, SHADOW!

What the hell would you fight Chara with? Frisk has been completely taken over. You have nothing. At all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Claven666 posted:

sans is the most powerful wizard in the underground, basically. all of his strength is in stats that aren't displayed.

Prof already wins in all the displayed stats. Why bother boosting your DEF or HP when he's going to one-shot you no matter how high you get it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheMcD posted:

What the hell would you fight Chara with? Frisk has been completely taken over. You have nothing. At all.

Yeah, the Fallen Child is the FIGHT command embodied at that point. Conflict is what empowers them. You'd might as well try to put out a fire with gasoline.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, the Fallen Child is the FIGHT command embodied at that point. Conflict is what empowers them. You'd might as well try to put out a fire with gasoline.

It's notable that right when you fight Asgore you aren't even given the courtesy of selecting the FIGHT command yourself. Prof just attacks him (and then Flowey) without any input from you whatsoever.

You may have been in control before but not anymore :getin:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You already fought Prof. You fought him and beat him in your previous playthrough by resisting the urge to kill monsters and collect LOVE, finding a different way to resolve your problems than violence, learning to understand others and show them basic kindness, and never touching the FIGHT button unless it was to do a wimpy slap while playing with a friend or to show off flashy wrestling techniques on Robot David Bowie's TV Show and get him massive ratings. The only way to beat Prof is by never letting him gain any power in the first place.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

You can do that, though.

Hell you can put out fire with high-explosives.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Diploid posted:

Wanted to add this, even though I'm late.

With that being said, I'm a little disappointed that, instead of the restart->black screen thing, there isn't the opportunity to fight Chara.

"Who said you were in control?"

Like the whole "SAVE someone else" thing only except your friends you save Everyone. This complete with an even harder fight than Sans'. As the fight goes on, you free more Monster souls (starting from your 106 kills) and the fight gets just a little easier until he's a shadow of his former self. You win, not a good ending but a chance to reset. You give up... black screen as normal.

I AM DETERMINATION. AWAY FROM ME, SHADOW!
108 at that point.

But you do fight them. They one shot you. You fed them determination. You fed them LOVE. They win. Game over.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dylan16807 posted:

108 at that point.

Huh, I wonder if this was intentional. Is the max number of kills you can get per run fixed?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Oxxidation posted:

Plus, you pretty much did fight. He went first and immediately one shot you.

e:f,b

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Just wanted to weigh in on the Asgore only fighting good little kids bit, one thing no-one else has mentioned about his motives is the fact that he knows the human wants to leave. The only way to leave is if the human merges with a boss soul.. and he's kinda the only one available/worth considering

He flat out knows that for them to leave, he has to die, so I see a lot of self sacrifice in his actions as well, he doesn't want to kill the human, he always felt like he was trying to make it easier for you to kill him. But eh, he doesn't want to die either, so he'll take an out if offered.

Very much an interpretation though, yeah, could just as easily argue that it'd be way better if he didn't break the Mercy button, so it might have been more on the murdery side with a hint of cowardice at the end. What can I say, I like the loveable old fool, so I prefer my way of seeing him

But yeah, one of the biggest queries I have with the genocide run is why Asgore didn't absorb the human souls.. it was mentioned as a plan, and he surely has to realise it would be the safe option given he's the last line of defense for the ones Alphys was hiding somewhere (presumably in the big city)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

Huh, I wonder if this was intentional. Is the max number of kills you can get per run fixed?

No, your kill counter isn't guaranteed to be at 106 when you reach Sans. You can technically have 1 monster left to kill in Hotland but still get into an encounter with 3 enemies anyway. The game doesn't decide that everyone's dead until you go back to the field with the counter at 0.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

RabidWeasel posted:

Every area has a set number of monsters you have to kill, and there are set bosses, mini-bosses, etc.. So yeah, it's fixed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jia posted:

I just think Chara sounds dumb and is a bad name

If you pronounce it 'Chara' it doesn't sound so dumb.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So I read through the pacifist LP, and I shall go no farther, Thank you for the fine lp it was a joy to watch, I will not buy the game and merely cherish the memories of a happy ending.

:3:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

There's some variability, both in terms of having the last encounter have multiple monsters, and fixed encounters in the core still triggering after you've killed the randoms.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Chara is a real name that people in real life have

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Claven666 posted:

sans is the most powerful wizard in the underground, basically. all of his strength is in stats that aren't displayed.

Sans is the antithesis of Chara in this way. Chara is all about numbers -- reducing everything to numbers, and making the numbers go up. Sans has the lowest stats in the game, but his tactics are all about making numbers irrelevant (denying you turns, etc.).

And the player only wins by beating Sans at his own game, so I'd argue it's the skeleton who wins this particular debate, not that it's much comfort.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As far as a final geno battle against Prof, that's kind of missing the whole point. Prof only exists because you are a relentless mass-murderer. Killing an entire world of innocents and then wanting a final boss battle against the "real" evil is just an excuse to feel like consequences don't apply. You are a murderer. You slaughtered innocents. You had every opportunity to turn back. You explicitly saught out this outcome through boredom and challenges and no matter who it hurt. You are Prof. You made your empty, dusty bed, so go lie in it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

lets hang out posted:

Chara is a real name that people in real life have

Chara is the standard latinisation of the Greek word for happiness. =)

Speaking of which, I thought this was supposed to be flowey at first but...

Diploid
Oct 21, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

You made your empty, dusty bed, so go lie in it.

Just seems weird to me to go, "Welp, now we have a black screen. Forever. Wanna play again? Reinstall the game."

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sans said we were going to have a bad time. Maybe you thought he was referring to his boss fight.

We just reached it!

Also I feel like it's kinda funny that so many things tried to take our soul by force and here we just gave it away.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize Toby was The Devil, but it makes sense.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, that was unexpected. Every time I believe I know what's going to happen, the game does something clever.

Also, that's a very, very bad good mean place to end the update.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I totally expected to see the next update be this (not even Slowbeef went this deep in I think)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
For clarity:

Regular posting schedule now resumes. We are now in Run 3.
Spoiler policy remains unchanged until the next run reaches the credits.
Posting schedule over the weekend will be inconsistent due to scheduling difficulties.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheMcD posted:

We'll beat them with the same tools we've used to beat all the strongest monsters in the game.

*FLIRT

edit: source link.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 6, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Honestly being able to change the course of the geno ending goes absolutely against what the game stands for and what its trying to communicate.
You could have turned back but didnt: reap what you sow. Part of me wants there to be more, more Undertale, because its all so much fun and charm and Id love the world to be fleshed out more. but I think its satisfying with what there is.
As a story it's complete.

I just hope this third run will be Fun though. Considering Prof just sold his soul.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Prof probably already sold his soul multiple times! Devil Toby's being played like a fool, and there'll be Hell to pay when he finds out!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

We'll beat them with the same tools we've used to beat all the strongest monsters in the game.

*FLIRT

(snipped image)

That artist doesn't really want their stuff reposted without permission, so have a source link.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

But if our 3rd run is without a SOUL... then how can we feel compassion? Won't we basically be Flowey with limbs?

I really hope there isn't like a... Genocide++ route where you're soulless :ohdear:

Also, why does Chara/Prof/The Fallen Human even want a SOUL? By their reckoning the world is over and useless because its shown them everything it has to show.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

dscruffy1 posted:

Also I feel like it's kinda funny that so many things tried to take our soul by force and here we just gave it away.

Technically we bartered it :v:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Conot posted:

But if our 3rd run is without a SOUL... then how can we feel compassion? Won't we basically be Flowey with limbs?

In the genocide run we were already so bad that we scared Flowey. I don't know that it gets much worse.

(It probably gets much worse :ohdear:)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RareAcumen posted:

*FLIRT

This is pretty adorable, even though Chara is a soulless monster.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I love that we live in a world where a video game explicitly asks you, the player, to sell it your soul in order to continue playing. The greatest microtransaction of them all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYuKKsm6Zo

(That's not an Undertale video, but do I still need to put it on Polsy?)

I haven't ever seen a No Soul playthrough of this game. I kind of wonder how that will work, given that every monster tries to attack your SOUL and it's kind of a major deal that ASGORE wants it.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 6, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is pretty adorable, even though Chara is a soulless monster.

Not anymore!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Joke's on you, game. I already sold my soul for horse armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Conot posted:

I really hope there isn't like a... Genocide++ route where you're soulless :ohdear:

Also, why does Chara/Prof/The Fallen Human even want a SOUL? By their reckoning the world is over and useless because its shown them everything it has to show.

Do you think it was Frisk they were talking to?

• Locked thread