Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
At work we've got original portraits by people like reubens, van dyck (:byodood:), Gainsborough etc and cause I work here I can get right up close with them and let me tell you that even the most spectacular paintings in history look crude as gently caress up close. There's one in particular of Charles I in armour by van dyck and from a distance it looks so delicate and gently done, and then you get up close and you can see how the reflections on his armour* are just smeared white paint that could have been scraped on with bob ross's knife (they look absolutely perfect from a few feet away). Canaletto was the same too - you get up close to it and his human figures are just indistinct smudges of paint, but from a distance they're perfect little people.
It's more than simply skill with a brush that makes a great painter imo - it's the ability to anticipate how the brain fills in missing details, about mastry of colour tones and lighting, scale, perspective etc. Actual skill or technique with a brush seems to be one of the least important aspects of once you reach a bare minimum of talent.

It's all a roundabout way of saying that I think (with lterally zero artistic training or experience lol) that that bob ross technique might not be a distinct and separate way of painting to traditional fine art - all that differentiates a bob ross from a van dyck is a mastery of something other than the ability to manipulate a brush - it's a knowledge of all that ephemeral stuff like lighting, anatomy, perspective etc.

e: im gay

e: this is the van dyck one:

If I'm passing later and anybody is interested I'll try and get a snap of the armour from a little closer.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Bob started painting in the army and had to squeeze out his art in between briefings and stuff. Apparent that's why he loved and developed speed painting techniques.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dutch oil art is awesome.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Oberleutnant posted:

At work we've got original portraits by people like reubens, van dyck (:byodood:), Gainsborough etc and cause I work here I can get right up close with them and let me tell you that even the most spectacular paintings in history look crude as gently caress up close. There's one in particular of Charles I in armour by van dyck and from a distance it looks so delicate and gently done, and then you get up close and you can see how the reflections on his armour* are just smeared white paint that could have been scraped on with bob ross's knife (they look absolutely perfect from a few feet away). Canaletto was the same too - you get up close to it and his human figures are just indistinct smudges of paint, but from a distance they're perfect little people.
It's more than simply skill with a brush that makes a great painter imo - it's the ability to anticipate how the brain fills in missing details, about mastry of colour tones and lighting, scale, perspective etc. Actual skill or technique with a brush seems to be one of the least important aspects of once you reach a bare minimum of talent.

It's all a roundabout way of saying that I think (with lterally zero artistic training or experience lol) that that bob ross technique might not be a distinct and separate way of painting to traditional fine art - all that differentiates a bob ross from a van dyck is a mastery of something other than the ability to manipulate a brush - it's a knowledge of all that ephemeral stuff like lighting, anatomy, perspective etc.

e: im gay

e: this is the van dyck one:

If I'm passing later and anybody is interested I'll try and get a snap of the armour from a little closer.

This is a cool post and yeah I'd love to see a close up.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The the progression of the whole thing has been fascinating. His son Steve grew into a white trash serial killer.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Relin posted:

all of bob's trees look the same, no matter where he describes them as growing

and he IS bad at painting cabins, the perspective's all hosed up
it was never about making amazing paintings, it was about being enjoyable with only a moderate level of :effort:

it is in fact called "the joy of painting"

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Dogmeat posted:

Bob's dead.

E: Bob lives.

Bob is eternal

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mike12345 posted:

I'm guessing the technique was invented as a way of cranking out as many hotel paintings as possible with the least amount of effort/time involved. Not saying it's bullshit, the side effect is that it's great for getting people to start painting.

also flooding the hotel painting market should drive down the cost of lodging

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

So here's the portrait as you'd usually see it, but get up close (and we're not talking microscopic here) and....

poo poo looks like it was slapped on by a bricklayer with a trowel. But it doesn't detract from the whole picture at all.

I hope that comes across - i'm phoneposting and I don't know if imgur is going to gently caress with the resolution or whatever until I can look at it on my desktop when I get home.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

MiracleFlare posted:

I'm still not in any position to buy art supplies, but maybe one day I'll finally be able to have my own canvases and oil paints... :gbsmith:

I think there'd be a market for, or at least interest in, a set of paint program tools that act like Bob's toolset.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

FredMSloniker posted:

I think there'd be a market for, or at least interest in, a set of paint program tools that act like Bob's toolset.

poo poo, I'd buy it to a few dollars.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FredMSloniker posted:

There are several paint programs already that act like real media and they're predictably expensive as poo poo from what i remember

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Oberleutnant posted:

So here's the portrait as you'd usually see it, but get up close (and we're not talking microscopic here) and....

poo poo looks like it was slapped on by a bricklayer with a trowel. But it doesn't detract from the whole picture at all.

I hope that comes across - i'm phoneposting and I don't know if imgur is going to gently caress with the resolution or whatever until I can look at it on my desktop when I get home.

This post reminded of this fellow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_van_Aelst

He's the exact opposite, and kind of unique, in that his stuff is actually more impressive the closer you are. It really has to be seen in person to full appreciate, but it looks as if it was just printed onto the canvas. Really neat stuff, and if I remember right no-one's entirely sure how he did it.

I have no real point here. I just think dude is cool and wanted to share.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Oberleutnant posted:

maybe you should become a novellist

haha holy poo poo

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
drat, I'm on such a Bob Ross bender. How long until this stream is finished?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Baby squirrel feeding!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well it started on Oct 29 and ran for about 9 days. You do the math big guy.

I just hope they'll keep it on a loop forever.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SpaceAceJase posted:

drat, I'm on such a Bob Ross bender. How long until this stream is finished?
Roughly somewhere around noon today by my math, not accounting for any fuckups that might have delayed something partway through. Don't know any official word though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

I just hope they'll keep it on a loop forever.

Every kid that says this confuses me. Bob Ross has had the majority of his poo poo uploaded to Tube sites for the better part of a decade now. Nothing has ever been truly stopping someone from creating a neverending playlist like this stream.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The official bob Ross stuff only appeared on YouTube sometime last year

Before that it was like Russian VHS bootlegs

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The official bob Ross stuff only appeared on YouTube sometime last year

Before that it was like Russian VHS bootlegs

his website has the Bob Ross Legacy:

https://www.bobross.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BRLEGACY

$1,270.69

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I think that BYOB should change the cat to a little Bob Ross head is this a good idea?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

mind the walrus posted:

Every kid that says this confuses me. Bob Ross has had the majority of his poo poo uploaded to Tube sites for the better part of a decade now. Nothing has ever been truly stopping someone from creating a neverending playlist like this stream.

It's just not the same.

Look at this thread. It came together because it's broadcasted. Bob ross talks to all of us at the same time.

A youtube loop playlist ain't the same.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Fathis Munk posted:

It's just not the same.

Look at this thread. It came together because it's broadcasted. Bob ross talks to all of us at the same time.

A youtube loop playlist ain't the same.

yeah it's about the communal feeling only real-time chat can establish. the camp fire in 2015.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Well, maybe one of us could set up our own continual stream with blackjack and hookers...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mike12345 posted:

I'm guessing the technique was invented as a way of cranking out as many hotel paintings as possible with the least amount of effort/time involved. Not saying it's bullshit, the side effect is that it's great for getting people to start painting.

nah wet-on-wet is old school. it's really hard to do and easy to make mistakes (which is why bob embraces happy accidents) but the advantage is that you can finish a painting really fast, in like an hour, as opposed to the several days or weeks it would take if you waited for each layer to dry. this is important because most painters back in the day made money by painting rich people and it's a lot easier on th em and you if you can paint them in one hourlong session rather than taking a month and making them stand there in the same clothes with the same posture multiple times

sort of like the polaroid of 1600

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well, my estimate was way off. They put a countdown on the stream, just over 3 hours remaining. Get your RUINEDs in while you can

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I typed in "FORBIDDEN TECHNIQUE" and got banned from chat ahahaha :xd:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They should never end the stream, just set it on loop forever.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Any especially good episodes that hit all the BR mainstays (mountain, clouds, water, happy little trees)? I bough a couple canvases, paint, and knives. The kids and I are gonna Bob Ross it tonight.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Chat stream is crying for Bob not to go and repeating #KEEPBOB endlessly. :(

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Viewership spiking hard now, 130k and rising

e: 150k

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 7, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
In the last minutes, they broke 125k viewers, passed the Blizzcon tournament stream, and were gaining subs every few seconds.

I'm so :smith: now.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

finale is starting now, viewers are over 150K and everyone's typing #thankyoubob

wonder if steve ross is around somewhere to paint something on twitch

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The most viewed Twitch stream at the moment, what a time to be alive

Aug 4, 2010

This last episode, you think he knew?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i believe he ended it saying as such, and now auto tuned bob ross

amazing

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

22 hours until something... chat going insane.

Edit: Clock just moved and added 2 days lol

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
The Second Coming of Bob Ross in 2 days and 22 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

gently caress fallout 4 and blizzcon this is the countdown that really matters

• Locked thread