Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I knew a rr10 healer on mordred that might have never lost a 1v1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The thing outsiders keep forgetting is that this game was never balanced around 1v1. It wasn't even balanced around 8v8... if an enemy group, partly due to high RR or just being group players dominated Emain, it often happened that two roaming groups of the same faction just traveled together to hunt them down. "Elitists" usually started cursing when another group added to "steal their kills" but gently caress them, it's Realm vs Realm.
The one thing Guildwars 2 tried to do good is effectively giving the whole winning world rewards for doing good in the Ethereal battlegrounds. Musical Keeps however was an unfortunate result of this though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

The thing outsiders keep forgetting is that this game was never balanced around 1v1. It wasn't even balanced around 8v8... if an enemy group, partly due to high RR or just being group players dominated Emain, it often happened that two roaming groups of the same faction just traveled together to hunt them down. "Elitists" usually started cursing when another group added to "steal their kills" but gently caress them, it's Realm vs Realm.
The one thing Guildwars 2 tried to do good is effectively giving the whole winning world rewards for doing good in the Ethereal battlegrounds. Musical Keeps however was an unfortunate result of this though.

There was no reward for taking keep in daoc, and people still played musical keeps.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If you took keeps your entire guild would get a bonus to exp in the area around the keep. You'd be notified if enemies were in the area, and specific keeps had vendors that sold high level crafting items at a discount, while having the facilities to craft at the keep. If you took certain keeps, the relic keeps would open up, and if you stole a relic your entire realm got a 10% bonus to either melee or magic.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If your realm owned the most keeps, you'd gain access to Darkness Falls. The place which was often the best place for xp and gear up to 40+, a great RvR area due to entrances for all three realms, and a late game raid place with the Princes and Legion.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Kazvall posted:

If your realm owned the most keeps, you'd gain access to Darkness Falls. The place which was often the best place for xp and gear up to 40+, a great RvR area due to entrances for all three realms, and a late game raid place with the Princes and Legion.

Yeah. I have no idea why this hasn't been imitated to death.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Access to Darkness Falls was pretty much the biggest drive to go out and grab a keep or two.
It was -by far- my favourite dungeon in any MMO ever.

The exp and crafting bonus for holding a keep was a joke. The relic bonuses were sweet, but if a realm ever had all 6 relics the advantage was way too big.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Even the elitists, when there wasn't any action would just go and grab a keep or three before logging off to open DF for their realm. It was that good.

That really opens the discussion on what the long-term people cared about in this game.

The "elitists" as it were, are the ones that have kept this game (atleast on private servers) going for so long.
Them getting mad at people adding on fights is for one simple reason.
No one gives a gently caress about "realm pride". They want fair fights. Good fights. If they were stomping poo poo, they won't care if people add. It's whatever at that point. Their opponents were a oval office hair from logging anyways.
Relics are a detriment. If your realm has all or some of the relics? Less enemies. Less challenge. But relics keep the game alive. So it's a necessary evil.
I'm one of those elitists, but I know the game will only stay fun if you don't alienate every single person. So you have to try and help people not be bad.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Evernoob posted:

Access to Darkness Falls was pretty much the biggest drive to go out and grab a keep or two.
It was -by far- my favourite dungeon in any MMO ever.

The exp and crafting bonus for holding a keep was a joke. The relic bonuses were sweet, but if a realm ever had all 6 relics the advantage was way too big.

Last time I tried live, no one went to DF, so I promptly quit.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It's probably fixed now I hope but when my rr5 fully geared paladin had to blow IP to kill a red mahr I knew something was wrong.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It was pretty exciting to level up in darkness falls back in the day.... I guess when the gear you could buy was seals wasn't considered complete poo poo for leveling. As soon as it opened we'd jump on a horse (or suicide) from the other end of the world to get there. Just to promptly get killed by the last holdout force.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
If anyone is still subbed to Live, we're finally back in game! Not just that, we're about to do some Otherworld Campaign quests. Come join us!

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

ButtaKnife posted:

If anyone is still subbed to Live, we're finally back in game! Not just that, we're about to do some Otherworld Campaign quests. Come join us!

Good times were had by all. The first boss of the new Otherworld quests wrecked us like 3 times before someone took pity on us and explained that we needed to stay closer to the spawn point. :downs:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Good times were had by all.
Instead of arguing about why I don't play this game anymore.... I'm going to activate my free seven days just to say hi to the waffles.

And then probably not log in again for two years.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Calidor posted:

Yeah. I have no idea why this hasn't been imitated to death.

Land of the dead was cooler.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a free private server for DAoC? This is one of the classic MMORPGs I have never played but there is no way in hell I would pay money for this game.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

I said come in! posted:

Is there a free private server for DAoC? This is one of the classic MMORPGs I have never played but there is no way in hell I would pay money for this game.

Play the trial of Live, then imagine a worse interface and leveling that takes 100 times longer and requires a group.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
But the game is 10,000x better. And the UI is exactly the same??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

You know those cool statues in Greece that are all cool looking but crumbling from old age.

Look but don't touch.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Wait for Uthgard like the rest of the people who won't touch daoc til it's out?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Wait for Uthgard like the rest of the people who won't touch daoc til it's out?

I Google'd this and the website hasn't been updated since early August. It looks like its dead?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
nah, they just started a small-scale closed beta.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

CopperHound posted:

Instead of arguing about why I don't play this game anymore.... I'm going to activate my free seven days just to say hi to the waffles.

And then probably not log in again for two years.

Resub for the Waffles, stay for the Molvik.

Honestly, Molvik is the place to be lately. It's nice to run around in an area where not everyone has a million I WIN buttons. It's much more reminiscent of the old days of RvR. If anyone has stealthers or visibles at or below Molvik level, get them to Molvik and profit. You don't even need a template, though it helps a bit.

Lately we tend to log in late at night or on the weekends, just so you guys know. Come join the fun!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I knew a rr10 healer on mordred that might have never lost a 1v1.

I might of been that aug healer, was it a black and yellow dwarf by the name of Sigmestgi?

I don't think there were very many other aug healers who 1vs1ed people.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I might of been that aug healer, was it a black and yellow dwarf by the name of Sigmestgi?

I don't think there were very many other aug healers who 1vs1ed people.

Maybe? It's been so long. I had a 50 inf on mordred, but his name was changed on server merger so I can't recall his name. I had a 50 cleric named Dhaz, though.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Are there any remotely similar games to vanilla DAoC with similar PvP? I have a really bad itch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF14, kind of, but the PVP is all in WoW-style battlegrounds. It is a fight between three teams if that's what you're looking for. The PVP skill system is almost an exact copy of realm abilities, but with the ability to respec at any time for free. The producer also says that DAOC was his favorite MMO, if that helps at all.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

im gay posted:

Are there any remotely similar games to vanilla DAoC with similar PvP? I have a really bad itch.

I've been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online, which has the three realm, taking keeps with seige engines stuff. I played DAoC on and off for maybe a decade, and after playing ESO I don't think I'll actually be going back, this scratches the itch and also feels so much more fluid.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ESO just still felt really clunky in places, unfortunately, especially when it came to control responsiveness and visual/UI feedback. It definitely captured the RvR experience better than any game since DAoC, I'll say that much.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Eso got the map design down and also has hosed up classes. So yah, it is a good fit for daoc.

It is also full of dumb bugs and bad pve.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I've been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online, which has the three realm, taking keeps with seige engines stuff. I played DAoC on and off for maybe a decade, and after playing ESO I don't think I'll actually be going back, this scratches the itch and also feels so much more fluid.

The bugs and RvR instances/queues are why ButtaKnife and I didn't stick with ESO. Hopefully Camelot Unchained will stick closer to DAoC and not have instanced RvR, but I haven't followed it that closely.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

LoreOfSerpents posted:

The bugs and RvR instances/queues are why ButtaKnife and I didn't stick with ESO. Hopefully Camelot Unchained will stick closer to DAoC and not have instanced RvR, but I haven't followed it that closely.

Eh, if you think about it, DAoC was instanced similar to ESO. Emain was one big zone, instanced away from the other realms' mainlands other than Hib's until NF came out (Glitch through walls, become ruler of Mag Mell).

I think ESO's biggest problem was the grind. I hit 50 pretty quick, was one of the first fully leveled vamps on my server (lolshenanigans in pvp on day 3), but then hitting VR10 was dumb. It was like the CL system in DAoC, except in ESO it was basically required to compete, and it didn't even guarantee you the VR gear that you had to farm.

ESO had a pretty good feel to it's PvP, but gently caress that grind right in the rear end. Also, there wasn't too much GvG action going on. I was kind of disappointed there.

Mux fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 8, 2015

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

im gay posted:

nothing is even close

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

nothing is even close

Correct.

The only two that are somewhat inspired by the RvR Keep game are Guildwars 2 and TESO. But neither of them captures the 8v8 man roaming gang at all, and are both rather focused on the Keep Siege game.
In a fantasy setting if you want PvP you're stuck with Battlegrounds, Arena's are instanced maps that reset after battle with no long-term consequences.
Only Archeage recently had some nice open world (mostly on the water) ganks... but that game had its own fair share of other problems.

EVE online still seems to be the only source for roaming fights, but well... it's EVE and that game is really not suited for anyone.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I got a few group v group fights in eso.

We would sit out in stealth, since everyone has stealth, right on the reinforcement line between keeps.

We would ambush people who would not run in packs, then they started to run in packs. Then the group fights would start.

The trick was to stay off of the main line to avoid the raids, or at least pull the small group away from that.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

I got a few group v group fights in eso.

We would sit out in stealth, since everyone has stealth, right on the reinforcement line between keeps.

We would ambush people who would not run in packs, then they started to run in packs. Then the group fights would start.

The trick was to stay off of the main line to avoid the raids, or at least pull the small group away from that.

Yeah, I mean stuff like that happened, but there wasn't a structured 8v8 type community in ESO at all like DAoC had. We had a few guilds who would fight us head on in a group, but it wasn't nearly as consistent, organized, or competitive.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
Uthgard, hurry up. I miss playing DAoC :(

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Uthgard, hurry up. I miss playing DAoC :(

Well, every time I look at the frontpage of Uthgard there's more accounts/objects/etc, and there has consistently been people on in the mornings/afternoons (EU time). hype.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Everytime I go to the Uth website there's like 100 guests account and 10X users browsing. Every single day. People want their OF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
How will Uthgard handle bots? Hopefully it doesn't lose population like that one server awhile back.

• Locked thread