Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

fits posted:

relatedly: ovetchkin scored tonight to tie fedorov for most nhl goals by a russian

and there's still lots of game left to pass him, too

He's gonna end up with like 800 in is career I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fits posted:

relatedly: ovetchkin scored tonight to tie fedorov for most nhl goals by a russian

and there's still lots of game left to pass him, too
He's closing in on 500.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
unless he breaks his leg or something ov is gonna have like 520-530 goals by the end of the year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

unless he breaks his leg or something ov is gonna have like 520-530 goals by the end of the year

I don't know I think maybe 1/10 that is a bit more realistic.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
http://tv.aftonbladet.se/abtv/articles/97417

Peter Forsberg puts on makeup to screw with a beer league team.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
N: Habs are 13-2-1, having defeated their eternal rivals, the Boston Bruins

V: Fire Therrien

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
david krejci goofed up and blew his stack, which ruined an otherwise good game by the bruins

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

david krejci goofed up and blew his stack, which ruined an otherwise good game by the bruins

The Bruins way.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

kind of wonder what Plek did to make him blow a fuse

I'm going to bet he said something nasty in Czech.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Excelzior posted:

kind of wonder what Plek did to make him blow a fuse

I'm going to bet he said something nasty in Czech.

Made fun of his turtleneck

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hand Knit posted:

All I can see right now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
n:

v: lol leafs

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This is a nice article. Feds owned. Sad when he finally had to call it quits.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

In honor of the HoF induction, Michael Arace of the Dispatch praises Sergei Fedorov for his time as part of Doug MacLean's three-ring circus of a hockey team. Fun (term used loosely) look back at the end of the MacLean era and the start of Howson's time.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/11/08/1108-arace-commentary.html

Can we get The Dispatch traded to the Rangers? Their hockey coverage is consistently insightful and great.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

That's pretty awesome. I kinda want to see Kovalev do this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kovalev did do that, or at least he tried to, but Bryan Murray got rid of him before he could start playing well and let us in on the joke.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Arizona fans seem like they're really fuckin' weird and try to get "howl" chants going on during the game but it sounds just sad and weird

Or maybe it's drunk Rangers fans mocking them which is also sad

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Just watched the condensed nucks/sabres game on HS

:lol: Ryan Miller

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So it didn't end up mattering but holy poo poo gently caress coach's challenges. I'm not even mad at the call that went against Washington because it looked like slight interference. I'm mad because:

A) There is no consistency in the way it is called
B) Anything that reduces scoring blows
C) The Capitals will 100% get screwed in an important game in the playoffs by a coach's challenge

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

JawKnee posted:

Just watched the condensed nucks/sabres game on HS

:lol: Ryan Miller

ummm he's a culture carrier and a veteran leader and uhhh he's can really rip it eh

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the talent deficit posted:

ummm he's a culture carrier and a veteran leader and uhhh he's can really rip it eh

To be fair, Eddie Lack (who is rocking an .865 sv%) hasn't been able to get a starting role on a team that is running Cam Ward out every night.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Aww man, being too busy to watch hockey is the loving worst.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

remember when mats sundin came back to toronto for the first time and scored the game winning goal?

imagine the exact opposite of that today!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Levitate posted:

Arizona fans seem like they're really fuckin' weird and try to get "howl" chants going on during the game but it sounds just sad and weird

Or maybe it's drunk Rangers fans mocking them which is also sad

that game sucked rear end so it's probably the latter. the howl is cool when we are winning

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

N: The Pittsburgh Penguins can't manage to score more than two goals against Calgary.

V: Fire Johnston

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Johnston is just killing me with this snooze fest ineffective hockey. He can't get fired fast enough.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
pizza and spaghetti on the same plate motherfucker. #MontrealCanadiens4Ever

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
fire pete deboer

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So far it seems like the easiest way to make sure that your goals can't be challenged is to:

1) Not step into the crease without possession

2) not make contact with the goalie

Both of which Williams did, and Lupul did a week ago. I don't see the inconsistency in those calls, and players will adapt.

There's also

3) not be offside like a goober

Which is actually also entirely controllable.

Problems with the coaches challenge are time, because they shouldn't take longer than a timeout, and application, because it's weird for on-ice officials to be making calls on a 4" ASUS tablet. Give it to impartial parties with better equipment and easy communication, aka the war room.

I'm not a big fan of "those would have been goals/ the NHL would want them to be goals" arguments because they're ultimately appeals to authority and beside the point. If the NHL isn't happy with the actual implementation of its rules they should change them.

What I think is unsettling people is change itself and the fact that refs historically haven't been calling games based on the rules as written, which video review enforces artificially. What we'd all be served better by is better reffing entirely, which video review is hopefully a precursor to.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
The problem is that goalie interference has always been partially subjective. Coaches challenge seems to be trying to make it objective and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Im over any bitterness about tonight's call since the Caps somehow hailed Satan and won, but I think it's better to leave the goalie calls in the hands of the refs. I think all goals should automatically have an onside review done too. That shouldn't take more than a few seconds and would make things flow a lot better while still preventing bad linesmen from changing games.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

And neuvirth puts up another shutout. Flyers beat Jets

:psyduck:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Anton Khudobin is alright, I actually think Bob had a good summer Bieksa aside and its good that that's starting to show now that Getz and Perry are certified back now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

The problem is that goalie interference has always been partially subjective. Coaches challenge seems to be trying to make it objective and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Im over any bitterness about tonight's call since the Caps somehow hailed Satan and won, but I think it's better to leave the goalie calls in the hands of the refs. I think all goals should automatically have an onside review done too. That shouldn't take more than a few seconds and would make things flow a lot better while still preventing bad linesmen from changing games.

I don't even think it's because it's a subjective call that I'm upset. The distinct kicking motion rule is subjective but I'm pretty happy with the way that is enforced with video review mainly because there is a standard that is enforced.

Right now there is no standard for goalie interference reviews, it's just up to the ref to decide. Basically if they make black and white rules like "absolutely no contact in the blue paint" then fine, that's the rule.

But in the 4 video reviews I remember in Capitals games:

1. Capitals goal against San Jose there was very slight to no contact with Jones, goal was waved off.

2. Blue Jackets goal against Washington, slight to moderate contact with Holtby, goal was upheld.

3. Capitals goal against Florida, moderate contact with Montoya, goal was upheld.

4. Capitals goal against Toronto, moderate contact with Reimer, goal was waved off.

Also challenges are dumb. Why is "puck over line" automatically reviewed but an equally objective "play is offside" requires the coach to have a timeout? Just automatically review everything if you're so hellbent on getting every call right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

C) The Capitals will 100% get screwed in an important game in the playoffs by a coach's challenge

I get what you're saying, but nobody screws the caps in the playoffs like the caps screw the caps in the playoffs.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
If there's a scramble for the puck in your crease, just repeatedly check an opposing player into your goalie and the goal will be waived off.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Detroit called up Andreas Athanasiou and he is going to play against Dallas. go young guys

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DOOP posted:

And neuvirth puts up another shutout. Flyers beat Jets

:psyduck:

Replan the parade, baby

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Things are looking better for Calgary than they were a week ago. Brodie's return seems to have stabilized the defensive pairings, Bennett is on a roll, and Johnny Hockey has been his usual awesome self. All we need is to get Monahan going and to have one of the goalies figure out how to stop pucks consistently, and we'll be set to go on a run.

That being said, this week's road swing has the potential to send things massively off the rails again. Hoping that FLA, TB, and CHI can hold off on turning things around.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm still in love with ryan miller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Penguins "great" defense looked pretty bad last night. The offense didn't look so hot either

• Locked thread