Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Noctone posted:

I think you're being obtuse to save face on a dumb argument. Virtually every Heisman contender has had at least one down game. It's absolutely silly to say a player shouldn't be in the conversation after one bad game, particularly when it was against one of the better defenses in the sport.

This is why I wouldn't count out fournette. It's not like he struggled against Vandy or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Sorry sparty, you looked better than Nebraska for the majority of that game. Nebraska was playing balls-to-the-wall. That's the best the team had played this year. If this game had been in Michigan I don't think Nebraska would have had a chance.

The last no-call was obviously a tough way to go out, although I thought the officiating had been pretty bad the whole game. As others have said, I think MSU's last two offensive drives and prevent defense probably had more to do with the loss than the bad refs.

Riley just bought some good will. I hope his team can play like this two more times.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I still think Riley and his staff are garbage and it's annoying that we're probably stuck with them for at least a couple more years, but SPARTY NO is never not hilarious and I'm happy for the Nebraska players because it really has seemed like they've been trying their best this year.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Noctone posted:

I think you're being obtuse to save face on a dumb argument. Virtually every Heisman contender has had at least one down game. It's absolutely silly to say a player shouldn't be in the conversation after one bad game, particularly when it was against one of the better defenses in the sport.

Ok man, sorry you feel that way, but it's genuinely my thoughts on it. He had not just a bad game, but a game where he had <1 yard per carry until he broke one late run. I still think he's by far the best all around back in the country, but you're crazy if you think this game won't at least affect the conversation.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Of course it affects the conversation. He was the frontrunner before the game, now I would say it's pretty clear he'll have to be a monster the rest of the year to win it. But unless he has middling stats the rest of the year I would still say he's going to be on almost every ballot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just didn't think Florida should've moved up in the polls after winning a poor game. v:shobon:v

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

I just didn't think Florida should've moved up in the polls after winning a poor game. v:shobon:v

It's the day after, the traditional time for TFF grumpyposting. Don't worry about it dude

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

CaptainYesterday posted:

It's not so much that they moved up as the people above them embarrassed themselves and the people below them didn't do much to impress.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide
I must be really out of the loop. What did Mizzou's president do exactly?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm just a bit fragile because my team lost to loving NEW MEXICO STATE. I mean, WOW.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Seaniqua posted:

Sorry sparty, you looked better than Nebraska for the majority of that game. Nebraska was playing balls-to-the-wall. That's the best the team had played this year. If this game had been in Michigan I don't think Nebraska would have had a chance.

The last no-call was obviously a tough way to go out, although I thought the officiating had been pretty bad the whole game. As others have said, I think MSU's last two offensive drives and prevent defense probably had more to do with the loss than the bad refs.

Riley just bought some good will. I hope his team can play like this two more times.

those players were playing their asses off and were playing to win

we were playing not to lose (poorly)

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

ACoolT5 posted:

I must be really out of the loop. What did Mizzou's president do exactly?

alpha_destroy did an effortpost on it in D&D, here:

alpha_destroy posted:

I have been debating for days whether or not to post about this in this thread. Everything about the situation at Mizzou is a loving poo poo show at the moment. At the beginning of the semester Mizzou gave graduate students something ridiculous like less than 72 hour notice we were losing our health insurance. Then they tried to take tuition waivers away from grad students working quarter time, which of course, disproportionately harms humanities departments. Then the student body president got called a friend of the family on campus, which the chancellor took something like 6 days to respond to. Then the Legion of Black Collegians got called niggers by a student while they were organizing their homecoming protest. Then the Chancellor ended our relationship with Planned Parenthood that had let med students perform clinical hours at PP and gave PP doctors clinical privileges at the University Hospital, which was the only thing that allowed them to perform abortions in Columbia. Then someone drew a swastika in one of the dorms in feces. Columbia's Yik-Yak right now has a bunch of hilarious jokes like "how do you starve a friend of the family? hide his welfare check under his work boots." I also saw a picture of a monkey being distributed as a picture of Jonathan Butler, the student on the hunger strike. Yesterday, morning djs were debating whether or not they should send Butler Taco Bell. Oh yea! I forgot, the LBC protested the homecoming parade by stepping in front of the president's car. His driver promptly revved his engine continuously and bumped two of the students. Oh ya! and during one of the marches in the wake of the student body president being called a friend of the family some white kid was yelling about how it was a violation of his free speech for the black students to hold a rally in the speaker's circle and not let him blare techno music over them. Anyway, the point is everything about this school is super hosed up right now. I have hope that JB will actually succeed in his hunger strike though. Partially because of this video of our wonderful president supposedly after allowing protesting students to be sprayed with sprinklers. This dude is totally unfit to run a university. There is no way the curators are not forced to face this fact. Hopefully.

Really I just hope JB wins because I want to believe in justice, but also because JB is loving awesome and I don't want him to have to die because my university is loving awful.

Also, separate fight kind of, I mean, this doesn't help JB, but the English department also delivered a 26-0-2 vote of no confidence against the Chancellor earlier this week. poo poo is super hosed at the moment.

Edit: And of course the Missouri state legislature is on the case concerning PP! In response to the student backlash, the state legislature is investigating the relationship Mizzou had with the organization so they can conclude it was super unethical and illegal anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Noctone posted:

It's not so much that they moved up as the people above them embarrassed themselves and the people below them didn't do much to impress.

Pretty much. There aren't any really dominant teams this year and there isn't any player that is head and shoulders above others for the Heisman. It's all muddled.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa and Austin Blythe, respectively

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Emron posted:

Ok man, sorry you feel that way, but it's genuinely my thoughts on it. He had not just a bad game, but a game where he had <1 yard per carry until he broke one late run. I still think he's by far the best all around back in the country, but you're crazy if you think this game won't at least affect the conversation.

In a vacuum, maybe Fournette's bad game eliminates him from Heisman contention but in reality nobody else is really standing out. If you want someone consistently good with no bad games I think your answer is Ezekiel Elliot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Corey Coleman.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

tranime scholar posted:

alpha_destroy did an effortpost on it in D&D, here:

Sounds like a bunch of individual incidents lead to this. But if you're the President of a University part of the job is figurehead, so I suppose you can't really be surprised if people concentrate blame in your direction.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

All of them are still in the conversation. There's not one who's a stand out yet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Strobe posted:

Corey Coleman.

Let's reserve judgement until they play a team with a pulse.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Rad Valtar posted:

The Big XII should have no one in the top 4 because they are a bad conference.

As opposed to Clemson of the ACC, a good conference.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

That is correct.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Frackie Robinson posted:

The big 12 is a bad conference until they can produce something on par as georgiatechcar.gif

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In the end I think the Big 12 is going to get burned not by its lack of a championship game, but by its backloaded schedule. I don't think any of the top 4 will be able to go undefeated, and because they're only just now starting to play each other, just about all of them are going to have a loss in the last four weeks of the season.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Spintzel posted:

The big 12 is a bad conference until they can produce something on par as georgiatechcar.gif

I can't argue with this. Even the big ten has Purduemodeltrain.gif

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Big sarcastic shoutout to Memphis for making GBS threads their bed last night and probably costing Houston the chance to host College Gameday featuring Lee "Eh, gently caress it!" Corso this weekend.

Nice to see they're still in the top 25 though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vyst posted:

I can't argue with this. Even the big ten has Purduemodeltrain.gif

Hey, Purdue is Objectively Better than Nebraska, and thus better than Michigan State. The Big Ten: Even The Bad Teams Are Good.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Wanvig posted:

Big sarcastic shoutout to Memphis for making GBS threads their bed last night and probably costing Houston the chance to host College Gameday featuring Lee "Eh, gently caress it!" Corso this weekend.

Nice to see they're still in the top 25 though.
Quite a few were predicting Navy to win. AAC conference is the best conference this year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

bushes posted:

Quite a few were predicting Navy to win. AAC conference is the best conference this year.

It's one of the better conferences but it won't get respect because it isn't filled with teams like Maryland, Rutgers, or Purdue.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I think that LSU is probably overrated as is the rest of the SEC now that Arkansas is spreading Toledo-AIDS among them like wildfire but I think that Fournette deserves the Heisman at this point given his body of work no matter what happen against Alabama. A lot of good backs look bad against them and since he is their entire offense it is easy to stop him with enough bodies.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Chubb should get the Heisman as he clearly meant the most to his team of any player in the country

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hey, Purdue is Objectively Better than Nebraska, and thus better than Michigan State. The Big Ten: Even The Bad Teams Are Good.

Purdue is pretty good, would probably win the SEC east, maybe be behind LSU, Bama in the west.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll/2015/11

AP Poll's out.

code:
1. Clemson (31)
2. Ohio State (26)
3. Alabama (2)
4. Baylor (2)
5. Oklahoma State
6. Notre Dame
7. Stanford
8. Iowa
9. LSU
10. Utah
11. Florida
12. Oklahoma
13. TCU
14. Michigan State
15. Michigan
16. Houston
17. North Carolina
18. UCLA
19. Florida State
20. Mississippi State
21. Temple
22. Navy
23. Wisconsin
24. Northwestern
25. Memphis

Also receiving votes: 
Southern Cal 104, BYU 35, Mississippi 22, Boise St. 6, Texas A&M 6, Toledo 4, W. Kentucky 2, Washington St. 2

Why are we still getting votes other than some diehard :secsmug: homerism.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Purdue is pretty good, would probably win the SEC east, maybe be behind LSU, Bama in the west.

Lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

ACoolT5 posted:

Sounds like a bunch of individual incidents lead to this. But if you're the President of a University part of the job is figurehead, so I suppose you can't really be surprised if people concentrate blame in your direction.

President of a university kinda does a lot, actually. Figurehead, sure, but a lot of lobbying, recruiting talent, business partnerships, etc. Losing faculty support cuts into a lot of those efforts.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bip Roberts posted:

Please tell me more about the alternate universe in which you live.

Yesterday was finally the point that the program hit rock bottom. The blogs are just over it. Alums are pulling support and just giving up. I don't know the the answer is because our AD got a promotion and raise for ruining the most visible revenue sport and locking up a lovely coach for years.

We will never buy Hazell out so we have probably at least 2 more years of making a national mockery of the sport while we take that pile of cash from BTN and put it to academics while the rest of the conference actually uses it for athletics.

Football is stupid. See you guys in 3-5 years. :negative:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Please tell me more about the alternate universe in which you live.

Yesterday was finally the point that the program hit rock bottom. The blogs are just over it. Alums are pulling support and just giving up. I don't know the the answer is because our AD got a promotion and raise for ruining the most visible revenue sport and locking up a lovely coach for years.

We will never buy Hazell out so we have probably at least 2 more years of making a national mockery of the sport while we take that pile of cash from BTN and put it to academics while the rest of the conference actually uses it for athletics.

Football is stupid. See you guys in 3-5 years. :negative:

wildcats, bitch

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Let's reserve judgement until they play a team with a pulse.

To be fair, lots of receivers have been playing lots of lovely teams, and none except Josh Doctson have put up the stupid numbers that Coleman has.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MourningView posted:

Iowa is still undefeated. Everything is amazing. CJ Beathard is tough as gently caress.

I usually hate when people describe someone saying: "He's a winner." But, that poo poo applies to Beathard.

Dude finds a way to win. Clutch as gently caress on 3rd downs and seemingly impossible situations.

King is pretty drat awesome, too.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Scrapez posted:

I usually hate when people describe someone saying: "He's a winner." But, that poo poo applies to Beathard.

Dude finds a way to win. Clutch as gently caress on 3rd downs and seemingly impossible situations.

King is pretty drat awesome, too.

I unironically feel that if Desmond King were on an SEC team and putting up the numbers he's putting up he'd be a national name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Spintzel posted:

Ummm, have you forgotten about turkeyleg.gif?

• Locked thread