Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been struggling in Verdant Brink on both a Necro and a Guardian, and I don't even want to think about what's going to happen to my squishier alts. Should I be stocking up on specific runes and sigils, or moving away from running all 'zerker, all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I can't speak for Dragonhunter but Reaper-wise just load up on minions (make sure you slot "Rise!" too), equip your greatsword, and plow into piles of mobs with impunity. Your minions deal crazy damage, take greatly reduced damage, and heal you while soaking up your conditions and the damage you take. Lots of goons seem to like death magic/blood magic/reaper but I prefer dm/spite or soul reaping/reaper. Neither my minions nor I seemed to need the extra support from blood magic.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Harrow posted:

That is possibly for the best. When you play PvP, either you win, or you invent new swear words to describe those incompetent fucksacks who you've been saddled with as teammates.
I've been running a premade guild team with some RL friends of mine, and it's much more fun. Especially if you're all on Mumble. Even the times when we were down a single member and needed a pubbie, we had much more fun than solo-queuing. We did it for like 5 hours straight without tiring. Even my easily stressed-out GF loved it.

kater posted:

... And yes I specifically went with Ele and not Tempest because holy poo poo that mess is a trap stay away...
I dunno; I was running a cele tempest in a premade sPvP game the other night, and I was keeping up my group mates pretty easily. My latent AoE healing from just lolling around made it so it was virtually impossible for the opposing team to kill my allies until I was dead.

... Of course, as soon as they noticed this, they'd focus me first, but...

Ghostpilot posted:

That's not so bad when you get to the new areas and realize that enemies are virtually immune to a lot of effects like immobilize, chill, etc.
rpg_problems.txt

Vermain posted:

The biggest problem is that the vast, vast majority of non-hammer/bow weapon skills for Warrior are some variety of "deals damage," and that's all they do. Take a look at any of the Revenant's weapon skills and it's generally something along the lines of, "Shadowsteps you to target while applying Weakness and Chilled and you gain stacks of Might whenever you're blocked," versus the Warrior's, which are generally something along the lines of, "Deal damage and gain Fury for 4s." They bring so little utility to the table compared to almost every other class in the game.
fight-man_problems.txt
wizard_supremacy.txt

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Just need more Exalted Mastery xp and I'll have my gaudy Glint Shield. Binged out a lot of the collection yesterday.

Specialization collection achievement gear is probably my favorite thing about the expansion so far. I really like having something to work towards that doesn't involve just throwing gold at it. Hope they add more stuff like that.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Spent 25 minutes doing the Chak Killer achievement, last lurker walked into a wall and out of range of anything my rev could damage it with.

Why does Tangled Depths have to hurt me so

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Spent 25 minutes doing the Chak Killer achievement, last lurker walked into a wall and out of range of anything my rev could damage it with.

Just avoid anything to do with Tangled Depths right now imo, it's such a horrible place until they fix/tune it.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Daredevil actually has a hidden F3 skill, it works like Steal but instead puts a whiny forums post in your hands. What happens with it from there is up to you.

e: never mind, looks like plenty of people have found it.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 9, 2015

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Daredevil actually has a hidden F3 skill, it works like Steal but instead puts a whiny forums post in your hands. What happens with it from there is up to you.

:argh:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Totbot posted:

Just need more Exalted Mastery xp and I'll have my gaudy Glint Shield. Binged out a lot of the collection yesterday.

Specialization collection achievement gear is probably my favorite thing about the expansion so far. I really like having something to work towards that doesn't involve just throwing gold at it. Hope they add more stuff like that.

A full set for every class like the revenant set would have been amazing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just finished world complete, still working through story, but wondering what I'm going to do after that (aside from working on my Legendary).

Anyone so kind as to give me the quick TLDR version of what the "point" (beyond for funsies!) is of the level 80 maps, how they work?

Am I correct in assuming most work by "do the event chain, builds up to meta events, kill big bosses", and along the way you're collecting map-specific currency which you can then use for pretty princessing? That about the gist of them?

I just haven't really spent any time in any of the "endgame" zones beyond 100%'ing and story quests (The Orr maps, Southsun Cove, Silverwastes, Dry Top, and now the HoT maps).

If pretty princessing isn't my thing (I enjoy, just not sure that I want to grind for it. Once the event chains get boring, I'll want to move on), what other fun stuff is there to do / work towards in the open world? For example, I saw the jumping puzzle achievements, that's right up my alley, gonna start working on those that I somehow missed while 100%'ing. Would love to hear what other explorer-focused types find fun (other than 100%'ing, obviously heh).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Adhesive Gamin posted:

how times have changed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

:laffo:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Illuyankas posted:

I found a way through the world geometry in TD the other day. It's super easy to reach and you can get exploration on the whole zone with no effort just swimming around in the Undersea. If you actually want to pop back up into the world somewhere, all you need is a Flash-like teleportation skill. Turns out, those don't detect pathing collisions from under the ground :smug:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Once you've completed the story, gently caress these spiders and go to Dragon's Stand. If you run boosters that meta event gives insane exp as well as "useful" currencies, and is way more fun than fighting pubbies for spider spawns for hours.
Just don't be me. Get the 64-bit client so you don't crash, and party up with someone so you have a way back into your map when you crash anyway.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but according to reddit if you enter the guild hall and then exit through the southwest entrance, it shits you out in verdant brink no matter what your character level is. So anyone with updrafts and bouncing mushrooms can get any level 15+ character to the flax farm under Jaka Itzel. I know what I'm doing with all 8 alts tonight

So sub 80s do have access to mastery abilities? Does that mean if i start a new character once I hit Pact mastery they'll get bonus crafting xp

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So sub 80s do have access to mastery abilities? Does that mean if i start a new character once I hit Pact mastery they'll get bonus crafting xp

My 40-ish necro gets the town boost from Pact Mastery. So it looks like it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I can't speak for Dragonhunter but Reaper-wise just load up on minions (make sure you slot "Rise!" too), equip your greatsword, and plow into piles of mobs with impunity. Your minions deal crazy damage, take greatly reduced damage, and heal you while soaking up your conditions and the damage you take. Lots of goons seem to like death magic/blood magic/reaper but I prefer dm/spite or soul reaping/reaper. Neither my minions nor I seemed to need the extra support from blood magic.

I tried this on my Reaper and it didn't work out at all. Rise! is one of the final skills to unlock with hero points so I don't have that yet. Or any reaper traits at all. Minions are okay I guess but I still seem to die really fast without killing much. I feel extremely fragile. I think I just can't play any class other than ranger :(

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Just finished world complete, still working through story, but wondering what I'm going to do after that (aside from working on my Legendary).

Anyone so kind as to give me the quick TLDR version of what the "point" (beyond for funsies!) is of the level 80 maps, how they work?

Am I correct in assuming most work by "do the event chain, builds up to meta events, kill big bosses", and along the way you're collecting map-specific currency which you can then use for pretty princessing? That about the gist of them?

I just haven't really spent any time in any of the "endgame" zones beyond 100%'ing and story quests (The Orr maps, Southsun Cove, Silverwastes, Dry Top, and now the HoT maps).

If pretty princessing isn't my thing (I enjoy, just not sure that I want to grind for it. Once the event chains get boring, I'll want to move on), what other fun stuff is there to do / work towards in the open world? For example, I saw the jumping puzzle achievements, that's right up my alley, gonna start working on those that I somehow missed while 100%'ing. Would love to hear what other explorer-focused types find fun (other than 100%'ing, obviously heh).

If pretty princessing isn't your deal, you might want to look into your elite spec's weapon collection. It should have unlocked when you got your spec weapon, and gives a flashier ascended version of the starter weapon once you've completed it. It's also an insane scavenger hunt that incentivizes you to do all these zones.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Correct.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I tried this on my Reaper and it didn't work out at all. Rise! is one of the final skills to unlock with hero points so I don't have that yet. Or any reaper traits at all. Minions are okay I guess but I still seem to die really fast without killing much. I feel extremely fragile. I think I just can't play any class other than ranger :(

Hop on one of the goon hero trains next time you see one revving up, you'll get most of the hero points and waypoints in both VB and AB in just an hour or two. Make sure to abuse Reaper's Shroud, too, it puts out mean damage, acts as a second health bar, and if you do end up running minions the little disposable guys feed it constantly.

Hopefully that helps a bit? :shobon:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hop on one of the goon hero trains next time you see one revving up, you'll get most of the hero points and waypoints in both VB and AB in just an hour or two. Make sure to abuse Reaper's Shroud, too, it puts out mean damage, acts as a second health bar, and if you do end up running minions the little disposable guys feed it constantly.

Hopefully that helps a bit? :shobon:

If you don't want to wait, you can often find pubbie hero trains in LFG. Compared to goon trains these are sloppy as gently caress, but they frequently run Auric and Tangled as well as Verdant Brink. So if you're desperate for Rise you can unlock your full Reaper tree in complete safety by enduring strangers for an evening. Maybe try a ranged weapon on swap so you don't have to go melee in all situations? Is your camera zoomed all the way out so you can actually see lobbed aoes coming? Setting camera to max range and getting in the habit of zooming it back out when the game "helpfully" zooms it in has upped my mesmer survivability 200%

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 9, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
People saying that CC is useless in the new zones are out of their minds. Good CC is the key to a lot of boss encounters and makes killing other mobs like snipers trivial.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerrzhe, grab me sometime, most of the hero points can be done with 2-3 people (plus there are always pubbies everywhere) and I'm more than happy to help you out as well as getting hero points on my alts.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
You can also just sit at a HP a few minutes and eventually enough people congregate to finish it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

If you don't want to wait, you can often find pubbie hero trains in LFG. Compared to goon trains these are sloppy as gently caress, but they frequently run Auric and Tangled as well as Verdant Brink. So if you're desperate for Rise you can unlock your full Reaper tree in complete safety by enduring strangers for an evening. Maybe try a ranged weapon on swap so you don't have to go melee in all situations? Is your camera zoomed all the way out so you can actually see lobbed aoes coming? Setting camera to max range and getting in the habit of zooming it back out when the game "helpfully" zooms it in has upped my mesmer survivability 200%
We always do Auric, though? My hero point trains get all points in Verdant (we skip Vampire if it's not night with <20 minutes for the choppers to be up) and all but one of the points in Auric so you end up with 210 points total and since most people have at least 40 points on their characters from before it's enough to cap out everything but tomed to 80 characters the whole way.

But yeah, what Arus said. The only hero points that are rough without 5 or so people are the frogs at the end of Verdant Brink and the Balthazar Champion in SW Auric. I've done all of them with a small group of 3 dentists/goons and those are the only two that have consistently given us any trouble.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey Merc, what are the odds of a late night one (like 8-9pm Pacific) this week? I need herald on my new revenant!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
POS ISP had a stroke during the legendary wyvern phase of the Itzel village chain. Both of us were dead by the time I could reach the login server again.

On the bright side, I've got gliding and itzel 1, and I'm better than halfway to gliding 2.

On the dark side, Rogers Communications can choke on a bucket of dicks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

POS ISP had a stroke during the legendary wyvern phase of the Itzel village chain. Both of us were dead by the time I could reach the login server again.

On the bright side, I've got gliding and itzel 1, and I'm better than halfway to gliding 2.

On the dark side, Rogers Communications can choke on a bucket of dicks.

poo poo dude, get Teksavvy, if you can get Rogers you can get Teksavvy. So much better than that bucket of dicks.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

cpaf posted:

What is even better is when you fail because of this and then it restarts the entire fight except for the parts of the island that have fallen away and now the rift is floating in space and you can't reach it.

I had a similar experience yesterday with one of the early story missions, the one where you fight Stavemaster whatever. When the fight started, all my companions promptly died to the massive bullshit AOE vortex thing, leaving me to whittle away at his HP pool for several minutes and randomly dying when the AOE appeared too close to me to dodge in time. I got him down to like 5% and then his HP reset to 100%, forcing me to rinse and repeat.

Sometimes I wonder if they playtested this poo poo at all.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey Merc, what are the odds of a late night one (like 8-9pm Pacific) this week? I need herald on my new revenant!
I don't get home from work until after 11pm pacific so it won't be until Friday your time at the earliest, unfortunately.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Well to do that they'd need a test server.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mercurius posted:

I don't get home from work until after 11pm pacific so it won't be until Friday your time at the earliest, unfortunately.

No worries, let's do one this weekend maybe!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

I had a suspicion that tangled depths was the least worked on area when:

- I walked on air and found multiple floating ores.
- A charr switched from male voice to female back to male.
- A spider queen hero point boss was named Champion [Hero Challenge]
- The mini-map being almost useless for navigating.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

malhavok posted:

You can also just sit at a HP a few minutes and eventually enough people congregate to finish it.

Or put out a call in LFG, that'll get you a couple of people helping out in no time. Before HoT, I never even looked at LFG, and now I use it all the time (for HP trains and organized HoT maps).

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I tried and tried, but in the end the best I got was a silent crash to desktop.

This was easy though, and includes all the SweetFX stuff. It does have mandatory status text in the top left briefly after every loading screen though.
Personally, I'll suffer that as I can't live without LumaSharpen @ 1.5 strength - it looks like the game forgot to put its glasses on without it.

Uhh, summary:
Fire up the Mediator. Add GW2. Name your preset.
Enable your preferred shaders in Pipeline tab. Adjust settings for them in SweetFX tab. Press Apply.
Go back to Mediator tab. Press Update. Select your named preset from the dropdown. Push to Application.
It'll place a ReShade folder, a d3d9.dll, and a ReShade.fx file in the GW2 folder. Cut all 3 and paste them into the bin64 subfolder.

I tried all of that, but nothing happens (aside from the big ugly text spam on load). I wish I understood what I was doing. :(

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

malhavok posted:

Yeah I have missed the last few Goon/SFD HP trains but managed to get all the HP in VB and AB on my Revenant just by following the guides on Dulfy and waiting around a bit if it is a champion fight. Think the longest I have had to wait was ~10 minutes on the Golem fight in AB. Most can be done with 2-3 people so doesn't take that long for enough to show up.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Der Shovel posted:

I had a similar experience yesterday with one of the early story missions, the one where you fight Stavemaster whatever. When the fight started, all my companions promptly died to the massive bullshit AOE vortex thing, leaving me to whittle away at his HP pool for several minutes and randomly dying when the AOE appeared too close to me to dodge in time. I got him down to like 5% and then his HP reset to 100%, forcing me to rinse and repeat.

I had something similar, except after dying I found a spot to stand where I could shoot him but his AoE would fall through a gap before it reached me.

I regret nothing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

You don't have to use full zerker on anything, if that is what's causing this problem. For example I have made sure that all my medium class characters have at least one piece of soldiers, be it a soldier chest or some soldier ascended trinkets. My thief actually has a valk head and shoes too, and he can take a good few hits while I realize I've gotten in over my head and start playing better/get the poo poo outta there. Of course classes with great built in defenses like mesmers really don't need it if you're good enough.

I'm particularly proud of my ranger's current setup. When I finally decided to quit being a condi ranger (which was complete poo poo at release, not so now), I didn't want to give up the survivability that a full rabid setup gave me. So I did research on the effective health (ehp) you get based on your class's base health, armor class, toughness and vitality. I have a crazy min maxed set of zerker knight and soldiers. I made sure I had at least 65-70% crit rate with fury, kept the same or similar ehp as a full rabid set and pumped up my power. I really should maybe switch it up a bit now that the stat points from traits were rolled into the class baseline.

I loving love building setups like this, which is why I keep asking people about certain class/playstyles to try and get an understanding of the best way to work it out. Most people just go full A or full B, which works. I just want to push it a bit further.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

Mizuti posted:

I tried all of that, but nothing happens (aside from the big ugly text spam on load). I wish I understood what I was doing. :(

Well, that sounds promising, but maybe I recommended the wrong sequence of button pressing (I only just installed this thing myself).
Perhaps you had a successful suite install with a blank or partially buggered configuration? I am now imagining a scenario where that Apply button is per-tab and if that's true my summary was off! But all the config files are thrown together in that ReShade folder so tracking down what's wrong shouldn't be impossible.

Go into the bin64\ReShade folder and open up SweetFX.cfg. You'll see a bunch of commented out headings which are 3 lines tall.
Find one of the SweetFX shaders that you wanted to use. It should read "#define USE_<SHADERNAME> 1" right under its heading. If not, set it to 1. Eyeball the rest of the shader settings under that line to ensure your "finetune" adjustments got saved, if not write them in too.

The only other thing I can think of is something global, Common.cfg has a line (row 11) which toggles whether all effects are on or off when the game starts by default.

Kitty Fantastico fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 9, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sprite141 posted:

You don't have to use full zerker on anything, if that is what's causing this problem. For example I have made sure that all my medium class characters have at least one piece of soldiers, be it a soldier chest or some soldier ascended trinkets. My thief actually has a valk head and shoes too, and he can take a good few hits while I realize I've gotten in over my head and start playing better/get the poo poo outta there. Of course classes with great built in defenses like mesmers really don't need it if you're good enough.

I'm particularly proud of my ranger's current setup. When I finally decided to quit being a condi ranger (which was complete poo poo at release, not so now), I didn't want to give up the survivability that a full rabid setup gave me. So I did research on the effective health (ehp) you get based on your class's base health, armor class, toughness and vitality. I have a crazy min maxed set of zerker knight and soldiers. I made sure I had at least 65-70% crit rate with fury, kept the same or similar ehp as a full rabid set and pumped up my power. I really should maybe switch it up a bit now that the stat points from traits were rolled into the class baseline.

I loving love building setups like this, which is why I keep asking people about certain class/playstyles to try and get an understanding of the best way to work it out. Most people just go full A or full B, which works. I just want to push it a bit further.
Yeah, I've been enjoying the new Marauder stat combo for similar reasons, particularly on my thief and ele. You can swap out your armour (and weapons if you're a low base health class) without losing that much damage and gaining 3-4k hp in the process.

In case people are unaware, the Marauder (and Crusader which is Power/Toughness/Ferocity/Healing Power) insignias/inscriptions/jewels are available from the normal crafting vendors for karma and use discovery and the normal exotic armour crafting processes/materials. Only catch is that they're account bound so you need to have the relevant crafting skill to 400 (for exotic gear) but quite a few people have that and as mentioned the gear itself is account bound so once you make it you can shove it in the bank and get it out on your alts.

Been experimenting with a Druid in Crusader gear for overworld and meta events in the new zones, seems pretty neat so far.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Been experimenting with a Druid in Crusader gear for overworld and meta events in the new zones, seems pretty neat so far.
Hmm, Crusader seems like a good idea for my healing shouts warrior build...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kenshin posted:

Hmm, Crusader seems like a good idea for my healing shouts warrior build...
Yeah, I think it'll work on any class that has access to more sources of crit chance along with fury. I think with full Crusader and Altruism runes my Druid's at somewhere around 2k power, 1k healing power, 190% crit damage and 3k toughness. Rangers have a couple of +10% crit chance traits along with spotter and solid access to fury (which procs opening strike for 100% crit on the next attack when you have it applied to you) so not having any precision doesn't really hurt the build much.

• Locked thread