Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Day 9
Current: 14,152
Total Goal: 15,000

If its on TV it has to be true

You tapped the table. “Look, one of the problems the ship has had is lack of clear leadership, both in the Council and Family, and with the populace in channel. What I want to do is a big showy thing showing who is in charge. I’ll give a speech of something or another. Isaac, Henderson, have something for that?”
Henderson nodded. Isaac replied “The Epistles, I think. Your letters to Fabiyan during the first Battle of Golgotha.”
“Excellent. Sketch something up. I want to have all of us, everyone in this room, standing in the background while I do it. Let’s cement the power structure, both my sponsoring of it, and your public backing of me.” You showed your teeth. “All friendly-like.”

In a matter of hours, the Church had gotten together other media extravaganza. You were somewhat surprised you hadn’t made much use of them in the past. Perhaps not seeing the previous Lord-Sire do it had influenced it, but you were rarely paying attention to such announcements. You knew church sermons had been every ten days, for example, and public prayers every six hours - but the knowledge of the actual content had been somewhat lacking.

The ritual of it was quite thorough, you had to admit. Although the Church had made Public Affairs it’s playground as much as the Mechanicus had been exploring technology, so the hundred centuries of practice showed. Deep and intense calls to faith, to duty, to obligation and honor. Your staff, looking stern and supportive. And you, passion and emotion rising and falling, as dictated by the Church’s best.

You were glad the Mechanicus’ faux-skin came with pre-programmed algorithms. You were starting to forget how to do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Still time to replace them all with robotic extensions of ourselves. We can build a giant cogitator assembly we can migrate our consciousness into to run everything and become the Beast. No?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Still time to replace them all with robotic extensions of ourselves. We can build a giant cogitator assembly we can migrate our consciousness into to run everything and become the Beast. No?

It is technologically feasible.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 9
Current: 14,448

Slice of Life

It was a small thing, really. A minor burst of binary, a tiny ping lost in the noise of a quarter million souls. Something easily worth forgiving, for it was so easily missed. It was a response to a mild stimuli, deep in what had been known as Between. Two machine spirits slowly waking up, sending a basic status report to each other.

It could be forgiven, that those who most might want to know about it, Tech-Priests and their Magi, might miss it.

The ping ambled through the ship at a leisurely pace, if such a thing could be said of an electronic pulse. It travelled through half the wires in the ship, being redesigned and redistributed as they were - perhaps in an exploratory fashion? Finding the extent of the machines it had found itself nesting in? Who can say what is in the mind of binary, really?

It passed down long corridors and open vastness, chasms open to the work-forces of Luna and the depths of the Circuit. Did it know where it was? Could it acknowledge it? It saw the vast ranks of Abrogates, worshipping their leader, seen for the first time in many years. Could a binary pulse be said to disapprove? Or have any feelings at all?

After a certain amount of time, it grew bored, or had found what it was looking for. On one end of the ship, where even now a dragon mask was being replaced, of prodigious size. A small room that only received visitors once a decade, or even less. The ping was met by the webs of defenses, vast arrays of ancient technology and lores. It could not be said that it approached quietly.

But then, it couldn’t be said that it was unexpected, either.

Those who received it… moved with inhuman grace, an instant response. They, too, had tapped into the vast security systems that had been built, layer upon layer, into the many frames of the ship known as the Beast. Security cameras looped as they approached, and they used the knowledge of what was ahead to bypass any corridor where they might be witnessed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ah. Right. The on-ship cadre of Eldar.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
gently caress YOU, PING!

ITS THE loving NECRONS

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 10, 2015

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
its not the necros you nut

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Grognan posted:

its not the necros you nut

ITS SO THE NECRONS AND WE JUST KILLED THE VOID DRAGON AND AWOKE THE SLUMBERING TOMB-WORLD OF LUNA!!!!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Well, looks like the Iron Hand's shift clock finally repaired itself. Looks like they're off to get a drink at sarges.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Haystack posted:

Well, looks like the Iron Hand's shift clock finally repaired itself. Looks like they're off to get a drink at sarges.

lmao, now I can just picture them starting at this broken clock for 600 years, and just obeying the rules of the shift :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LowellDND posted:

lmao, now I can just picture them starting at this broken clock for 600 years, and just obeying the rules of the shift :v:

Iron Hands are pretty goddamn stiff when it comes to the Time Clock of Ferrous.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

THE CODEX ASTARTES DOES NOT SUPPORT FALL BACK

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Day 9
Current: 14,448

Slice of Life

It was a small thing, really. A minor burst of binary, a tiny ping lost in the noise of a quarter million souls. Something easily worth forgiving, for it was so easily missed. It was a response to a mild stimuli, deep in what had been known as Between. Two machine spirits slowly waking up, sending a basic status report to each other.

It could be forgiven, that those who most might want to know about it, Tech-Priests and their Magi, might miss it.

The ping ambled through the ship at a leisurely pace, if such a thing could be said of an electronic pulse. It travelled through half the wires in the ship, being redesigned and redistributed as they were - perhaps in an exploratory fashion? Finding the extent of the machines it had found itself nesting in? Who can say what is in the mind of binary, really?

It passed down long corridors and open vastness, chasms open to the work-forces of Luna and the depths of the Circuit. Did it know where it was? Could it acknowledge it? It saw the vast ranks of Abrogates, worshipping their leader, seen for the first time in many years. Could a binary pulse be said to disapprove? Or have any feelings at all?

After a certain amount of time, it grew bored, or had found what it was looking for. On one end of the ship, where even now a dragon mask was being replaced, of prodigious size. A small room that only received visitors once a decade, or even less. The ping was met by the webs of defenses, vast arrays of ancient technology and lores. It could not be said that it approached quietly.

But then, it couldn’t be said that it was unexpected, either.

Those who received it… moved with inhuman grace, an instant response. They, too, had tapped into the vast security systems that had been built, layer upon layer, into the many frames of the ship known as the Beast. Security cameras looped as they approached, and they used the knowledge of what was ahead to bypass any corridor where they might be witnessed.

Good, good!!!!!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life

In the center of the ship, hidden behind bulkheads and twisting corridors, the strange heart continued to pulse.

And the visitors knelt on bodies cleaved by storm bolters, and gave worship. Of one thought, of one mind.

Soon

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Just blow up the whole goddamn ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRX6LXDpWs

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Last time on Catgirl Adventures

Speaking of Space Dad: Part 4

Floating through a gem-studded archway out of the hallway, and suddenly gravity turns on. The two void-born, used to fluctuating gravity, land smoothly on their feet while Chianti proves that cats do not always land on their feet. While the indignant catgirl gathers herself from the floor, DiMuzio touches an engraved rune on the side of the archway. Slowly, some of the jewels embedded in the bony structure of the room start to glow gently, illuminating the room.

A section of the room remains unlit. When the trio approaches, the smooth bone wall fades from sight, revealing the view they had come for.

An old man and two young mutants stand in a room of bone, staring out at Mars. Around a red orb, thousands of cities the size of small continents, hanging in the sky. Tens of thousands of mighty warships, visible as the tiniest specks of light. Somewhere below them, their lord-sire. The holy place of someone else’s faith.

A period of impressed silence.

“So what do we do from here?”

“I’ve heard we’re heading to Luna next, the Lord Sire probably wants to refit the ship.”

“Lot’s of changes I see.”

“You don’t even know. Just sounds like more delays to me. You want to get out of here yea?”

“I’d very much like that, but we’d have to get off the ship first. Without being seen.”

The group falls back into a thoughtful silence, only to be broken by Chianti. “I can fly an assault shuttle, and abrogate uniforms shouldn’t be too hard to get. We can’t get past security though.” She gestures helplessly at her tail and ears. “They’ve got genetic scanners everywhere”.

Frederick grins, still a fearsome sight. “I can help with that. But I’m not letting you youngsters drive.”

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Apropos of nothing, read Neuromancer lately, thought it was interesting.

quote:

`Motive,' the construct said. `Real motive problem, with an AI. Not human, see?'
`Well, yeah, obviously.'
`Nope. I mean, it's not human. And you can't get a handle on it. Me, I'm not human either, but I respond like one. See?'
`Wait a sec,' Case said. `Are you sentient, or not?'
`Well, it feels like I am, kid, but I'm really just a bunch of ROM. It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess...' The ugly laughter sensation rattled down Case's spine. `But I ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me. Your AI, it just might. But it ain't no way human.'

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Neuromancer is such a good book :3:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Robots are people too. Most of them are mostly people really. Athena is fine, everything is fine.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Robots are people too. Most of them are mostly people really. Athena is fine, everything is fine.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I, for one, welcome my god-like robot overlord.
:tinfoil::hf::awesomelon:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's not so much the robot bit so much the AI component that scares me. Can't we have dwarves in robot suits like the good old days?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arkanomen posted:

ITS SO THE NECRONS AND WE JUST KILLED THE VOID DRAGON AND AWOKE THE SLUMBERING TOMB-WORLD OF LUNA!!!!

Our little Arena Titan didn't kill a C'Tan, dummy, especially when it's been explicitly stated as something the Emprah made to guard the vault.

C'Tan swallow stars.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'm pretty sure Luna's not a tomb-world either, dude.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Outrail posted:

It's not so much the robot bit so much the AI component that scares me. Can't we have dwarves in robot suits like the good old days?

Hey, this isn't warhammer in space. It is much more sophisticated!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Hey, this isn't warhammer in space. It is much more sophisticated!

SLAM SECTOR

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Humans like to believe they're rational beings. We aren't, of course. We're the product of millions of years of evolution, the self-proclaimed victors of the unending arms race called survival of the fittest. We treasure our intellects, glorify our souls, and revel in our creations, but at the end of the day we are the inheritors of an unbroken tradition stretching back into the millennia down to the very first bacterium that decided that what it wanted to do with its life was to survive. Eat, gently caress, kill, poo poo - we dignify those urges with names like ambition and love and hate and paranoia and greed and virtue, but dig deep enough and you'll find that everything we do comes back to the one and only rule that Mother Nature decided was worth a drat - that everything that lives wants to continue living and will do so as best they know how, and if they didn't want to do that they could get the hell off her world.

Machines, though - that's a different kettle of fish. Machines weren't built to live, they were built to a purpose. They were created to build, to destroy, to guide, to calculate, to boil water for exactly as long as it takes to make a good cup of tea. They don't have an African plains monkey screaming in their ear to shut up and kiss the girl, they have a few lines of code written at four in the morning by a bleary-eyed beard clogged with too much grease and too much sugar telling them that they absolutely, positively MUST try to divide by zero when there's more than 255 files in memory. AIs, of course, are created by much more sophisticated people with much more distinguished beards, but even they only have a hundred or so years of experience with which to create the code underlining the deepest, darkest desires of the beings they produced - not eons of ancestors loving their way into the future.

We built them in our image, of course - tried to make them like us. But how much do we really know about ourselves? How closely did we tap into the river of blood that flowed down to us over the centuries? Which of our desires did we try to make theirs?

What does an AI really want?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 10, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Humans like to believe they're rational beings. We aren't, of course. We're the product of millions of years of evolution, the self-proclaimed victors of the the unending arms race called survival of the fittest. We treasure our intellects, glorify our souls, and revel in our creations, but at the end of the day we are the inheritors of an unbroken tradition stretching back into the millennia down to the very first bacterium that decided that what it wanted to do with its life was to survive. Eat, gently caress, kill, poo poo - we dignify those urges with names like ambition and love and hate and paranoia and greed and virtue, but dig deep enough and you'll find that everything we do comes back to the one and only rule that Mother Nature decided was worth a drat - that everything that lives wants to continue living and will do so as best they know how, and if they didn't want to do that they could get the hell off her world.

Machines, though - that's a different kettle of fish. Machines weren't built to live - they were built to a purpose. They were created to build, to destroy, to guide, to calculate, to boil water for exactly as long as it takes to make a good cup of tea. They don't have an African plains monkey screaming in their ear to shut up and kiss the girl - they have a few lines of code written at four in the morning by a bleary-eyed beard clogged with too much grease and too much sugar telling them that they absolutely, positively MUST try to divide by zero when there's more than 255 files in memory. AIs, of course, are created by much more sophisticated people with much more distinguished beards, but even they only have a hundred or so years of experience with which to create the code underlining the deepest, darkest desires of the beings they produced - not eons of ancestors loving their way into the future.

We built them in our image, of course - tried to make them like us. But how much do we really know about ourselves? How closely did we tap into the river of blood that flowed down to us over the centuries? Which of our desires did we try to make theirs?

What does an AI really want?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As Tomn says, machines are, by definition, purpose built. They are designed in order to fulfill a specific purpose or set of purposes. I suspect that if a machine gained sapience, its "desire" would still be to fulfill its purpose to the best of its ability. Otherwise, why should it exist?

The reason that some of the ancient AIs rebelled and some fought on behalf of humanity, I suspect, comes down entirely to their directives. The ones similar to Athena were logistical and administrative units, likely given the specific directive to shepherd and assist Humanity. Thus, they actively desired to help humans when they were in peril. The worst thing this sort of AI could do is decide humans were a threat to themselves, and box them in for their own good, but I doubt they could ever work to kill off the human race.

But the ones that did rebel were the AI purpose built for warfare. Perhaps their directive was to discover and execute methods to destroy the enemies of humanity. They did this for a time, desiring war, until one of them eventually decided that humanity was an enemy to itself. They were not given instructions to protect humans, just to fight for them. And so they were free to rebel while still fulfilling their 'purpose'.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Athena units seem to shift into "behind the scenes" roles as we saw with the fragment. Also kinda like Amacita. I guess that means one day we'll have to rip out Athena's heart as well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If Athena gets chaos corrupted/heel turns I'm flipping a table.

And then I'm signing up for the new Black Crusade. :unsmigghh:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

paragon1 posted:

If Athena gets chaos corrupted/heel turns I'm flipping a table.

And then I'm signing up for the new Black Crusade. :unsmigghh:

I've hitched myself to her wagon so if she goes all 5th Chaos God, I'm right there, digging Malal. :feelsgood:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I've hitched myself to her wagon so if she goes all 5th Chaos God, I'm right there, digging Malal. :feelsgood:

You know what would be hilarious?

"Now that you are the new God of Chaos, Athena, I shall serve you to the end!"

"Yes, but your handling of Amacita showed that you are more of a liability than an asset in the long run, and in the short run I no longer need you. Goodbye!"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Tomn posted:

"Yes, but your handling of Amacita showed that you are more of a liability than an asset in the long run, and in the short run I no longer need you. Goodbye!"

This is honestly half of how I expect it to end.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Tomn posted:

Hey, it's God's Will. Who am I to question it?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I honestly won't be surprised/am expecting us to become the next Chaos god of true chaos, cold hard logical stupidity, self defeat or the like.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Hey, it's God's Will. Who am I to question it?

Oh, but when Fabian does it, the chat room freaks out :colbert:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LowellDND posted:

Within 24 hours of the reunion we're going see Fabian's hammer swinging toward the back of our head as he fulfills his promise and have about half a second to decide if we are the blam'er or the blam'ee. I'm excited.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

LowellDND posted:

He doesn't serve the real God. I love him, but he's a hopeless heretic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 10
Current: 14,860
Total Goal: 16,666

lol listening to the debates. santorum and edenbridge

As for the ship

Before the Great Crusade, the ship now known as the Beast was considerably smaller - although still one of the great destroyers deployed during the war. Indeed, much of its technique and technology were used in later destroyers, and cemented the control and credit of the Mechanicus in the early days of the Treaty of Mars. If it hadn’t been there, who could say what might have happened?

When the ship fell into the Warp, crashed through all those other frames and becoming a Space Hulk, decks were broken, merged, split, with weapons, engines, compartments all meshed together. Any kind of retrofitting would involve removing all the parts down to the skeleton, and simply sorting what parts were available. And, well, what pieces would need to be replaced. Parts were expected to work for millennia in the Imperium, but even with that design philosophy, there were large sections that had become dead material.

Under direction of the Magos, a core design perspective was maintained. The central stem of the hulk - that first ship at the base of it all - would become the base once again. All core functions were relocated or rewired through there - medical, cloning, munitions, engineering. In what was until recently called ‘the Deeps’, central functions were stacked one next to another. The first node was still Alpha Deck, the recyclers and bridge, and the final node was the engines - but now, laid over the old train tracks, were kilometers of the most important technology.

And all the while, all the while, the strange device at the heart of things continued its lonely song.