Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheLarson posted:

Temptation! It's available...

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MUST DO.

And then I won't feel bad every time it pops into my head when I see that your thread was bumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

EUROBT
LVNMONY (a bit of a stretch)
RNNG90S

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

REDSUNS

NITEKIDS

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

REDSUNS

NITEKIDS

They didn't have an 86 :colbert:

I like TOFUTAX, EGHTSIX and EUROBT, although not many people will get the last one

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Getting a car back from paint and putting it back together is simultaneously the best and worst. Its so awesome fresh and amazing and at the same time its this huge responsibility, don't smash yours into stuff like mine... its amazing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

They didn't have an 86 :colbert:

SPDSTRS :colbert:

Or how bout

BUNTA :v:

But yeah I like TOFUTAX and ERUOBT

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Getting a car back from paint and putting it back together is simultaneously the best and worst. Its so awesome fresh and amazing and at the same time its this huge responsibility, don't smash yours into stuff like mine... its amazing.

Looking good. Tell me it didn't get smashed into something. :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Throwing in my vote for WEABOO, SPDSTRS, or BUNTA :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TOFUTAX. WEABOO seems like it will invite a keying.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
BEAN CRD

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Midjack posted:

WEABOO seems like it will invite a keying.

Lol good point, didn't think of that.

I guess you wouldn't want something that everyone would understand.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
A direct Initial D reference isn't something I'm shooting for, despite the chuckle-worthy suggestions here. TOFUTAX is an option even though it's partial. Anyone who's tried to buy an ae86 recently has lamented the state of the market (with Initial D squarely in the crosshairs). EGHT SIX is another front runner.

The deadline for registration is at the end of the month so I'll pull the trigger on something before then.

In other news:

New under hatch cover! It was only $18 direct from Toyota and really cleans up the hatch. Unfortunately original maroon interior parts are exceptionally difficult to find. Anytime I end up going with a new OEM part, chances are it will be black. I've considered changing the entire interior to black (which would simplify things), but the two tone maroon/red scheme is really charming in an 80's way.

As required, here is a picture of the new cat making herself comfortable on a Toyota box. She's usually a fan of the inside of such boxes, but USPS decided to crunch this poo poo out of this one pre-delivery. Thankfully the above mentioned hatch board was unscathed.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Voting for EGHTSIX or EUROBT.
You gotta bring this thing to a Cars and Coffee when it's presentable! I'm in the Bay Area too and I would KILL to be able to check it out in person. (and maybe ride in it? :anime:)

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

SilentW posted:

Voting for EGHTSIX or EUROBT.
You gotta bring this thing to a Cars and Coffee when it's presentable! I'm in the Bay Area too and I would KILL to be able to check it out in person. (and maybe ride in it? :anime:)
EUROBT would have to be UROBEAT lest it be interpreted as EURO BUTT.

Otherwise I'll definitely be at Cars and Coffee in the near term! I've got to hard park somewhere.

edit: I just RSVP'd to the Mug Tome (tm) page, so I've got a friendly reminder for the November 7th C&C.

TheLarson fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 9, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TheLarson posted:

Anyone who's tried to buy an ae86 recently has lamented the state of the market (with Initial D squarely in the crosshairs).

This is the biggest regret I have with giving away both of mine; I'm never going to be able to get another one for anything close to a sane price, and I get sad because every once in a while I still wish I had one to play around with. :smith:

I love how cleaned up yours is getting and it's nice to see one getting taken care of properly though. :unsmith:

though the maroon interior is awful, blue paint with a blue interior is where it's at

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
I hit up the Pick-n-Pull in Newark for a few bits and pieces over the weekend. I up-ended the tool bag that lives in the Corolla into a backpack and took the Scrambler. All of the specific bits I had in mind were small so renting a functional car wasn't necessary.

Victim #1: An aw11 MR2

This car shares an engine and a bunch of miscellaneous odds and ends with my Corolla, so they're always worth a look in the yard. This particular example gave up some rubber bump stops found inside the headlight buckets. It's nit picky as hell to seek these things out (see the pic below), but I don't want to bottom out my headlights without the factory rubber stops. I already ordered what was apparently the "last" of these bump stops from Toyota, but 3 more were needed.

Bonus points if you spotted the surprisingly intact S12 200SX in the background. I've always been fascinated with them.

Victim #2: A 1982 Celica

The only stuff I can use from Celicas of this vintage are some headlight innards, door handles, and misc switches. It was rear drive, but I don't recall if ae86 guys can use the rear axle or not. I completed the required set of the aforementioned headlight bump stops from this car. Also acquired from this car were a set of little plastic door plugs that make contact with the seatbelt levers in the door jams. There's no point in scratching up the fresh inner door paint!

Victim #3 and #4: A 90's Celica and a late 80's Camry

I neglected to grab any pictures of these cars, but I snagged a gas cap holder from the Celica and some coin slots from the Camry that fit a standard 80s/90s Toyota dash hole size. What I didn't find in any of these cars was a simple ON/OFF switch that would fit in the standard dash holes. At some point I'd like to get a set of yellow brick fog lights and an OEM looking switch would be nice.

So I left the Pick-n-Pull with a small hand full of 20-30 year old plastic and rubber. The guy at the check out just laughed and told me to GTFO when I tried to pay for it. I can't blame the dude for not even trying to price this nit picky stuff. Cool.

Ignore the freshly painted red hood rests, they just happened to be in the shot. Luckily you can still get the rubber hood rests new from Toyota.

Anyways, what's up with the gas cap holder? Apparently including a place to stick the gas cap during fill ups was beyond Toyota's engineers in the 80's. It's a popular thing to grab a later Celica cap holder and cut it down to mount and hold the ae86 gas cap. Looks good and it was technically free!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

TheLarson posted:

The only stuff I can use from Celicas of this vintage are some headlight innards, door handles, and misc switches. It was rear drive, but I don't recall if ae86 guys can use the rear axle or not.

RA64 Celica rear axle housing, part 42110-14270, is used only in:
08/1977-06/1981 TOYOTA CELICA RA4*,MA4*
08/1981-11/1985 TOYOTA CELICA RA6*,MA61

Your AE86 uses part:
42110-12180 (08/1984 - 07/1985)
42110-12181 (08/1985 - 06/1987)
and it looks to be unique to the Levin/Trueno/Corolla AE86.

Haven't checked the diff, axle shafts, etc though.

Great attention to detail, by the way. Good to see these old Toyotas getting some love :)

Edit:

TheLarson posted:

Anyways, what's up with the gas cap holder? Apparently including a place to stick the gas cap during fill ups was beyond Toyota's engineers in the 80's.

Yeah, they missed that on the Z30 Soarer as well. Would be nice to do the same trick as you, but I don't think there's enough flat surface inside the gas cap to stick the holder on to. I just rest mine on the rear wiper.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2015

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

RA64 Celica rear axle housing, part 42110-14270, is used only in:
08/1977-06/1981 TOYOTA CELICA RA4*,MA4*
08/1981-11/1985 TOYOTA CELICA RA6*,MA61

Your AE86 uses part:
42110-12180 (08/1984 - 07/1985)
42110-12181 (08/1985 - 06/1987)
and it looks to be unique to the Levin/Trueno/Corolla AE86.

Haven't checked the diff, axle shafts, etc though.
The ae86 axles are unique to the car, even between the SR5 and GTS. A lot of Corollas with higher horsepower engine swaps (F20, 3SGE, etc.) run first generation Supra rear ends since they're close in overall length and can hold a lot more power. My Toyota chassis codes are a little rusty though so the details I'm unclear on!

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

TheLarson posted:

Looking good. Tell me it didn't get smashed into something. :(

Just trees and in the bed sides, its the 14" i want to bob out though... hopefully next summer. I laughed at your visit to the scrap yard, usually when Im hunting for trim stuffs for I get the same perplexed look from people, and its free unless I am at my favorite toyota yard then its ~$5.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
So the car is once again back on the road! I got up early on Saturday to beat the rush at the DIY car wash place. The battery was a little flat from months of body work idleness, but a quick jump from the emergency pack and it fired right up.

The car wash is always slammed and people get real mad if you spend too much time on your car. Such is city living. This was the result of a ~10 minute wash and a ~20 minute dry + detail. I can't put words to how happy I am that I can drive this car again. The paint work is 98% perfect and it looks great. :circlefap:

More stuff to come after I go grocery shopping with the lady. I have to get a Zipcar (hourly cars rented from nearby residential garages) for 1.5 hours every time we go. It's $15 per trip, but gently caress driving my freshly painted car to Safeway and parking in one of the busiest lots in the city.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
One more useless post before I go. I got this car almost exactly one year ago... Crazy how far it's come.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I don't know how you can actually live with a car that clean and nice. I'd prefer to drive the "before" car more than the "after" car because it's too perfect.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just curious, but why did you go with a black front bumper?

Love the car man, you did a great job and it makes me want to restore one myself if i could find one that was worth it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TheLarson posted:

The ae86 axles are unique to the car, even between the SR5 and GTS. A lot of Corollas with higher horsepower engine swaps (F20, 3SGE, etc.) run first generation Supra rear ends since they're close in overall length and can hold a lot more power. My Toyota chassis codes are a little rusty though so the details I'm unclear on!

A good thing to do is get a Hilux rear axle and get it shortened for the AE86. Can take a fuckload of power as well as being a relatively cheap upgrade

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TheLarson posted:

One more useless post before I go. I got this car almost exactly one year ago... Crazy how far it's come.

It's actually perfect. The only thing I'd change is the colour for a white one but that's it. :gizz:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Any plans to redo the vinyl stickers on the side of the car? They're some of my favorite parts of the car.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheLarson posted:

The car wash is always slammed and people get real mad if you spend too much time on your car. Such is city living. This was the result of a ~10 minute wash and a ~20 minute dry + detail. I can't put words to how happy I am that I can drive this car again. The paint work is 98% perfect and it looks great. :circlefap:

That's just :perfect:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

You Am I posted:

A good thing to do is get a Hilux rear axle and get it shortened for the AE86. Can take a fuckload of power as well as being a relatively cheap upgrade

Yeah, in the 1990s, a lot of people did this in Australia for Mazda RX3s and RX4s.

E: I have to add though, that's because 4.11 gears weren't a big deal for them. Not sure what the ae86 gearing is, or what gears are available for a hilux.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 2, 2015

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

leica posted:

Just curious, but why did you go with a black front bumper?

Love the car man, you did a great job and it makes me want to restore one myself if i could find one that was worth it.
Thanks! The black front bumper is just unpainted OEM plastic. Once I can find a clean OE Japanese market rear bumper, I'll probably get them both done in black w/ red tops. I'd like to find some original Toyota side skirts, but the cost is getting ridiculous for a clean set. There are plenty of OEM style replicas to be had, which is probably the way I'll go.

mariooncrack posted:

Any plans to redo the vinyl stickers on the side of the car? They're some of my favorite parts of the car.
I'm still torn on which badging and graphics to go with. The car looks great as is, but here's a :awesome: list of possibilities.

• The original huge graphics are a US model only thing. Since the steering wheel is staying where it is, this is a good option.
  • The original huge graphics are a 1985 "zenki" only thing. Since I'm using all later year 1986-87 "kouki" JDM parts, this doesn't quite jive.
  • I secretly love the Trueno badge on the front bumper. It comes off, but gently caress that it's staying. My last car had the Japanese market rear badging that I liked and may revisit. That said, this isn't a JDM car.

TBH, it's just a matter of deciding whether to stick with "Corolla GT-S" or "Sprinter Trueno" badging. Reproductions of either can be had for cheap, so either is viable. The JDM badging is smaller and easily removable. The huge USDM side graphics are a commitment.

The Japanese badging is a mouthful, but cool in it's own engrishy way. The proper JDM badging for this car would read the following on the trunk: "Apex Twin Cam 16" on the left side and "Toyota Sprinter Trueno" on the other. Both sides behind the doors would have a small "Trueno" script, but it goes on the non-existent side trim so I'd leave it out for now.

TheLarson fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 2, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fo3 posted:

E: I have to add though, that's because 4.11 gears weren't a big deal for them. Not sure what the ae86 gearing is

On a Proper GT-S like TheLarson's, it's 4.3:1, on the carbed SR5 faux AE86s it's 4.11:1, IIRC. Freeway speed at about 70mph is about 3500-3800 RPM in 5th gear.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'd leave the side stickers off, the new paint looks too drat good to mess with :)

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
I've been trying to get a few things buttoned up before the car's first real outing since paint. Both Cars & Coffee and the Norcal ae86 owner's meet are this Saturday, back to back. That's a complete loop around the southern half of the bay, from San Francisco -> Treasure Island -> Milpitas -> San Francisco. All told this is about 100 miles of dubious highways, traffic, and unpaved parking in an old car that hasn't done more than 5 miles in the last 3 months. :raise:

To prepare for this, I've been digging through some backlogged maintenance items. The car has been off jack stands for half an hour as of this post. The following have been seen to.
  • Changed the transmission oil. It turns out that Royal Purple *is* actually purple. :siren:
  • Changed the differential oil. Nothing special here other than the smell of very used gear oil. Charming.
  • Replace the engine oil drain plug since the crush washer had failed and developed a not-so-slow leak.
  • Topped off the coolant overflow, since it was taken off when they sprayed some under-hood bits.

It slays me how hard it is to find new M18(?) crush washers or drain plug gaskets at O'reilly or Autozone. The best I could manage were copper drain plug washers, which I've used in the past but pass up in favor of crush ones.

The car still has a hard start condition when completely cold. It takes 5 seconds of cranking followed by 3 or 4 seconds of super rough idle before it starts. Once it's going, it idles just fine and revs without issue. I replaced the cold start injector but I never actually tested it, which in hindsight was pretty stupid (I need to start the car with the injector shooting into a soda bottle, etc). This brings us to our next segment.

Throw cheapish maintenance parts at this car to rule out any easy fixes. Cheap parts are easier than basic troubleshooting, right? Next up, hopefully before this weekend:
  • Install the new O2 sensor that's been sitting in its box since week one of ownership. This is a 5 minute job. 2 bolts and an included gasket.
  • Install the two new coolant temp sensors to make sure the ECU gets what it needs. This is recommended by a few folks on club4ag. Since they're near the top of the system, hopefully I can get them switched out without a huge mess.

And finally I'd like to install the TuRD short shifter I've had in a box for months. I replaced the factory shifter bushings as a quick fix during the first round of post-purchase maintenance, but a short shifter livens the place up. It came with another fancy leather shift knob that I may or may not use. I've got a shameless shoebox of gimmicky shift knobs. Maybe I'll share some of my favorites later.

I also ordered a license plate. It should be ready in a few weeks.

TheLarson fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 4, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Vote for the JDM badging, the USDM sticker is gawdy as hell, plus the "Apex Twin Cam 16" Reminds me of the (FWD) Corolla I had in Japan :allears:

The Apex and Trueno badging just look and sound so much cooler than GTS to me. And it's subtle, not screaming GTS TWIN CAM LOOK AT MEEEEEEE

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
TheLarson and I briefly hooked up (:heysexy:) at C&C this weekend and, man, the car looks even better in person. The pictures really don't show you how great the paint is and how... familiar... the car is. Also, I don't think enough attention has been lavished on the kickass burgundy carpet he's got on the dash. :allears:
Looking forward to the vanity plate coming in!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

HotCanadianChick posted:

On a Proper GT-S like TheLarson's, it's 4.3:1, on the carbed SR5 faux AE86s it's 4.11:1, IIRC. Freeway speed at about 70mph is about 3500-3800 RPM in 5th gear.

Hilux axles come in any flavour from 3.5:1 all the way to 5.something:1 out of the hiace vans! There's that many combos of engine and drive train that all got the same diff and axle with different ratios.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

SilentW posted:

TheLarson and I briefly hooked up (:heysexy:) at C&C this weekend and, man, the car looks even better in person. The pictures really don't show you how great the paint is and how... familiar... the car is. Also, I don't think enough attention has been lavished on the kickass burgundy carpet he's got on the dash. :allears:
Looking forward to the vanity plate coming in!
Oh hay now. :nyd: It was rather convenient that I was standing next to the car at the time that SilentW appeared. Seriously though, nice dude.

In other news, the car survived a Saturday worth of driving. It did give me a fair share of shake down troubles as detailed below.

Leg 1 of the trip: SF to Treasure Island. :siren: Casualties = the trim strip between the top of the windshield and the roof. :siren: Apparently it wasn't fastened correctly and came loose at speed. I heard a clunk and saw it spinning away in my rear view. This trim piece is firmly in possession of the Bay Bridge. Luckily they can still be had new from Toyota. :20bux: :20bux: :10bux: :(

Leg 2 of the trip: Treasure Island to Milpitas for Nocal AE86 owners meet. Luckily I'd met up with some other old Toyota people and we caravanned down to the next meet. Casualties = dead engine on the side of 880 south (a 4? lane in each direction highway). Again I was lucky. The paint shop guys lost the clip that secures the engine harness to the air flow sensor. I was cruising along peacefully in a line of old corollas when the engine started hiccuping. A few RPM wobbles and the engine died out completely. Foot on the clutch and coasting along in the left lane, I managed to get off to the right shoulder (thankfully my hazards work). I'd spotted the potential issue when reassembling the intake, but I didn't think it would disconnect on its own. Zip ties to the rescue and I was on my way.

Leg 3 of the trip: Milpitas to SF. Generally uneventful. The car actually did great. Feeling good. :clint:

A pic of the owner's meet:

That said, between my choice of transmission oil and the recently installed short shifter my transmission was making a ruckus the whole time. It did shift like butter and stayed in gear without issue. I've been told by fellow owners that two things are responsible for this. 1.) It is possible to put *too* synthetic of oil into a 30 year old un-rebuilt Toyota T50. 2.) TRD short shifters are apparently known for transmitting all sorts of transmissionly noises into the cabin. Its bushings are super tight and it doesn't have the dampening rubber, weight, and engineered slop that factory shifter has.

I'll probably go back to a dino based oil before taking out the car again, but drat if the TRD shifter doesn't make every shift amazing (so crispy). It is a little odd though, given that my previous ae86 ran a Techno Toy Tuning short shifter and Mobil 1 synthetic transmission oil without any more noise than its factory shifter. I suppose old transmissions can be picky...

Anyways, more pictures to come when I get to it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had a similarly chatty gearbox after going short shifter.

I switched from Redline shockproof gearbox oil to Nulon oil with the Nulon PTFE gearbox additive and it's now silent and shifting is super smooth. Occasionally still needs to - granny shift I guess is the best term - to get into first or reverse, but hey it's an old gearbox.

Redline oil is supposedly bad. It corrodes synchros in certain gearboxes (mine) and doesn't really work until your at temps you'd see on the track.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Laserface posted:

I had a similarly chatty gearbox after going short shifter.

I switched from Redline shockproof gearbox oil to Nulon oil with the Nulon PTFE gearbox additive and it's now silent and shifting is super smooth. Occasionally still needs to - granny shift I guess is the best term - to get into first or reverse, but hey it's an old gearbox.

Redline oil is supposedly bad. It corrodes synchros in certain gearboxes (mine) and doesn't really work until your at temps you'd see on the track.
A lot of drift people I know love Redline, but I have no experience with it. I'll probably pick a more street friendly dinosaur-based trans oil for the time being.

Some more pics from Saturday taken by another ae86 owner: (click for huge)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are there only five cars at that meet? And are the only color options red and panda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Laserface posted:

I think it's shockproof that is bad for brass syncrod transmissions. Their MT90 and MTL should be fine. Just read up on the GL ratings and pick the appropriate one.

• Locked thread