Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kino
Aug 2, 2003

hitachi posted:

The promotion specifically mentions even if your phone is cracked. Is that just bullshit marketing?

And my name isn't on the account I am currently on so I should be able to get the new customer thing i think?

No, I'm pretty sure you still get the credit. You can do the appraisal online to make sure. I'm getting quoted $200 for my old Maxx, whether I check that it's cracked or not.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the 64gb Turbo 2? The whole refresh thing is tempting, but right now it doesn't seem worth it if they force you to buy it from Moto directly since you can't get the phone trade-in deal. Will VZW themselves eventually carry them, or can I order Moto maker in the corporate store and still get the deal?

Edit: Either I missed it yesterday or it's new, but there's now a "Turbo 2 - Designed By You" on VZW's shop that lets you do Moto Maker through VZW.

Kino fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

lampey posted:

Droid 2 Turbo looks and feels really nice. 4 year warranty on the shatterproof screen is actually a great idea and I don't know why other manufacturers haven't done something similar.I think the leather backs feel the best.

Most of the reviews I've said that the screen being shatterpoof has a pretty noticeable impact on screen quality with the POLED screen being a bit washed out and the clarity suffering a bit due to all the layers. I haven't seen it in person so I can't say how it looks to me, but every review I've read has had a variation on that in it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I would take a scratchproof oleophobic coating rather than shatterproof a million times over.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Do I still qualify for any kind of promo if i'm edging up? Or is it just trade in old phone, get Turbo 2 for whatever price, done?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

They told me I cannot trade in a currently active device on my account and it has to be for a new line. Maybe you could just have your family member cancel your line and then sign up as a new customer with a phone to trade in

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I was told I could edge up and also trade in an extra phone I had and get $200 as part of the trade in towards a Turbo 2 deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hitachi posted:

The promotion specifically mentions even if your phone is cracked. Is that just bullshit marketing?

And my name isn't on the account I am currently on so I should be able to get the new customer thing i think?

Whelp, I missed the cracked part. So yeah, if it's cracked I guess it still gets $200. That's a first that I've seen.

New customer is new to Verizon. If it's a new number it's $300 trade in, if it's a current number it's a $200'trade in.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I just upgraded and an existing line couldn't get 200 off the phone, but they'd give 200 off accessories plus my phones normal trade in value, so I got a wireless charger, the world's most expensive 64gb micro SD card, and the waterproof UE Roll so I guess that's alright

deadwing fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 31, 2015

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Hm... trying to figure out the best way to leverage my current phones. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and a Moto X 2014, both in good working condition, no cracks/scratches/etc. Thinking about upgrading, looking at the Nexus 6p. If they're offering $200 for any phone, that's better than I can get for the note 2 on Swappa. However, with the $200 off offer, it's not clear to me how much the Turbo 2 will end up selling for on the used market.

So either sell the note 2 and moto x myself, or trade in the note 2 for a discount on the turbo 2 and then sell that and the moto x. Any thoughts? Or maybe the turbo 2 will be so awesome that I'll just keep it, but I have my doubts.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chu020 posted:

Hm... trying to figure out the best way to leverage my current phones. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and a Moto X 2014, both in good working condition, no cracks/scratches/etc. Thinking about upgrading, looking at the Nexus 6p. If they're offering $200 for any phone, that's better than I can get for the note 2 on Swappa. However, with the $200 off offer, it's not clear to me how much the Turbo 2 will end up selling for on the used market.

So either sell the note 2 and moto x myself, or trade in the note 2 for a discount on the turbo 2 and then sell that and the moto x. Any thoughts? Or maybe the turbo 2 will be so awesome that I'll just keep it, but I have my doubts.

Well, note 2 probably has no resale value, so maybe trade that in and sell the Moto X by itself. In theory you should def get $200+ for the Moto.

Honestly, it's more "is it worth the hassle?" For you on trading in and then reselling. Keep in mind the Turbo 2 is like, $700 and the Maxx 2 is $380.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Apologies if this question has been asked (probably multiple) times, but..

If I recently got a new phone, and they said I can just keep my old one, does that mean I can use the old phone at home when it's connected to Wi-Fi? Not to make calls or send texts, but essentially does it make it to where my old phone just becomes a mini, Wi-Fi only tablet?

I don't know what plan I'm under honestly, I just give moms $60 every month.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Santheb posted:

If I recently got a new phone, and they said I can just keep my old one, does that mean I can use the old phone at home when it's connected to Wi-Fi? Not to make calls or send texts, but essentially does it make it to where my old phone just becomes a mini, Wi-Fi only tablet?

Yep. I have a Droid X and a Galaxy Nexus that still work just fine on Wifi. I use the Droid X as an IP camera on the front porch, and the Galaxy Nexus I usually just install roms and screw around with it, totally free and unafraid of bricking it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Santheb posted:

Yes, it's a mini wifi tablet.

FYI the Verizon messages app is actually not that bad, if you download that on both phones, you can actually make and receive texts/calls on that old phone over wifi. It does not work for text if you have an iPhone because of iMessage though.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Sweet, thanks guys. Good to know.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cross posting from the general android thread:

A friend dropped her phone in the toilet and needs a new one to get her by. What's the go to model and activation process for getting her a Moto G working on VZW (post paid)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's no 3rd gen Moto G that works on Verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

A friend dropped her phone in the toilet and needs a new one to get her by. What's the go to model and activation process for getting her a Moto G working on VZW (post paid)

It's not as good for sure, but the Desire 626 is $192 at Verizon.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

XIII posted:

You can buy a used Moto X (2013 version) from Swappa for ~$100.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
So if I'm about eight months deep on a two year contract, is there any way out without eating a ton of fees? My dad invited me to join his family plan on AT&T. Looking at it I think I will still save money with early termination but not having to pay that would be nice. I've looked at those swapper sites but they honestly seem like a bit of a lost cause with the contract system going away.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Okay so, a while ago, I dropped my S5 and since then the mic's been all hosed up (or so people tell me).

If I were to claim that I imploded it for insurance purposes and pay the 99$, would I still get an S5 or is it a grab bag still?

I know the insurance is separate, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knew.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kinkouin posted:

Okay so, a while ago, I dropped my S5 and since then the mic's been all hosed up (or so people tell me).

If I were to claim that I imploded it for insurance purposes and pay the 99$, would I still get an S5 or is it a grab bag still?

The insurance will replace it with an equivalent or newer phone.

Also, you dropped it and it broke, no need to make it worse and attempt insurance fraud.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golashes posted:

So if I'm about eight months deep on a two year contract, is there any way out without eating a ton of fees? My dad invited me to join his family plan on AT&T. Looking at it I think I will still save money with early termination but not having to pay that would be nice. I've looked at those swapper sites but they honestly seem like a bit of a lost cause with the contract system going away.

Nothing to do on Verizon's end, but ATT is offering a port credit and a trade in credit last I checked (could be wrong), some would check with them. FYI your dad will likely have to go with you to add you on his plan with ATT.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kinkouin posted:

You'll get an s5, it's one of the most popular android phones ever so I doubt they would have a shortage of refurbished ones to give you.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

AlexDeGruven posted:

The insurance will replace it with an equivalent or newer phone.

Also, you dropped it and it broke, no need to make it worse and attempt insurance fraud.

True, I'm more just curious as to what I'd get rather than try and do anything stupid with it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Asurion insurance covers being dropped and other physical damage. You will have to pay a deductible but you will get a refurbished phone

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Not that I have personal experience but the caveats they list on there are bullshit. Basically the screen has to have somehow magically cracked on its own to qualify because it looks like they will deny you if your housing is damaged. Well great, because the only time you're going to crack your screen is if you drop it or something which guarantees the housing will be damaged as well. What exactly is the point of this program?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Re: The grandfather unlimited data price increase

Has anyone actually received notification from VZW about this? I figured if prices were going to change, I would have gotten either a letter or email about it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had a blurb about it in my most recent bill.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I switched to Verizon from AT&T, trading in my iPhone 5S for a 6S. Everything is dandy except for sending text messages. Two or three times a day, my text messages won't go through on the first try. I get the red 'this message failed to send' and I have to re-send the message, which works 99% of the time.

Annoying. I'd get it once a week or so on AT&T but this seems excessive, and none of my friends with iPhones on Verizon have this issue. When I was at the store I tried to get it to happen but you know how that goes. Any ideas?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Bob Morales posted:

I switched to Verizon from AT&T, trading in my iPhone 5S for a 6S. Everything is dandy except for sending text messages. Two or three times a day, my text messages won't go through on the first try. I get the red 'this message failed to send' and I have to re-send the message, which works 99% of the time.

Annoying. I'd get it once a week or so on AT&T but this seems excessive, and none of my friends with iPhones on Verizon have this issue. When I was at the store I tried to get it to happen but you know how that goes. Any ideas?

I'm guessing you might have to do something with iMessage, maybe jumping devices/networks screwed up your provisioning info.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Check cellular settings and try setting LTE to "data only" and see if that helps. After doing that, go to reset and reset network settings. Sometimes that flushes it out.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

JayKay posted:

Re: The grandfather unlimited data price increase

Has anyone actually received notification from VZW about this? I figured if prices were going to change, I would have gotten either a letter or email about it.

The billing website had one popup about it, and it hasn't displayed a second time.

Of course, verizon being verizon, I changed my family plan to the new 12gb thing, and then added my wife's line onto that family plan, and we both got very strange emails about the pricing - she shouldn't get a bill if it's on my line, etc. Going to wait a day for the website to update, then likely call in to sort it out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

redstormpopcorn posted:

I'm guessing you might have to do something with iMessage, maybe jumping devices/networks screwed up your provisioning info.

It only affects regular text messages and not iMessages

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I, too, have received a single pop up on their website when going to pay my bill about it and nothing else.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So I'm not sure what switch Verizon flipped lately, but I've been pulling 120mbps+ down and 40mbps+ up. Which is stupid crazy fast. Sub 40 ping as well. What gives?

P.S. Not complaing

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

So I'm not sure what switch Verizon flipped lately, but I've been pulling 120mbps+ down and 40mbps+ up. Which is stupid crazy fast. Sub 40 ping as well. What gives?

P.S. Not complaing

What area of the country are you in?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Florida.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 11, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I finally got my invite to google fi and I want to get on their plan ASAP. What is the best way to cancel my contract with verizon? I literally know nothing about getting out of it since I've been with verizon for 10 years now.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Goodbye unlimited Data, you will be missed :(

We're switching to the Verizon Plan XXL which will save us $10 off our current plan. We might switch to the XL plan in a few months if our data stays low or we might even go to T-Mobile if they do another unlimited data promotion for $100ish like earlier in the year.

Edit: You have to make the plan change effective before 11/15 or you will get hit with a prorated charge. For instance when looking at My Verizon, it had the plan change scheduled for 11/27 which is the normal end of my billing cycle. Customer service confirmed I'd be hit with a prorated charge if I waited till 11/27.

kitten smoothie posted:

I had a blurb about it in my most recent bill.

We've been on e-bill for years and I never check it. :v:

So I logged in today and pulled up my October bill and this was on the first page.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

When they say "Unlimited Data Features" does that also include the hotspot feature, or just the $30 data plan?

That may actually tip the balance into the XXL or the XXL+1 plan being a better buy for me.

• Locked thread